Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Patriots getting copies of Jets defensive playbooks?

Patriots getting copies of Jets defensive playbooks?

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/19/mike-p...-browns-coach/

“They were able to refine it even more and make it more player-friendly from the beginning,” Pettine says. “I think anytime you can install anew, if you can step back instead of just blowing the dust off, here it is, to look at it again and see if it still continues to make sense—they did a good job.”

The initial playbook itself is actually quite thin, and that’s by design. “I don’t put a lot of graduate-level information in it,” Pettine says. “We know in places like New England, it’s only a matter of time that they somehow mysteriously end up with our playbook.”

Pettine told a story of how, at Wes Welker’s wedding, Tom Brady bragged a little bit to Jets outside linebackers coach Mike Smith, who was Welker’s college roommate, that the Patriots may or may not have had possession of a couple Jets defensive playbooks.

“It didn’t shock me because Rex would give them out like candy anyway,” Pettine says. “He gave one out to [Alabama coach Nick] Saban and I was like, ‘Don’t you know Saban and Bill [Belichick] are pretty good friends? I have a feeling it’s going to end up in New England.’”
    I don't understand why Rex would give it out to anyone who's not on the team? What's the point in someone like saban having it? Definetly a head scratcher.

All Pro
    belkichick prob has someone steal every teams defensive playbook which is why people think brady is so good..............again i will reiterate gady will never be in my top 100 qb's it's so sad that he will end up in the HOF for cheating.

Brady is so awesome that he doesn't need to cheat.

Veteran
    So the Jets were still able to beat the pats with this advantage. Not bad

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post

I don't understand why Rex would give it out to anyone who's not on the team? What's the point in someone like Saban having it? Definetly a head scratcher.
    NFL coaches have big egos. Im sure they want other coaches seeing their genius, and wouldnt be surprised if other coaches do this.

Question is, how often does it change, whats in the playbook copies that are out there? are they the basics? no graduate level stuff like Pettine says), etc?

Jets Insider VIP
    ASG in 1...2...3...

Jets Insider VIP
    The playbook isn't as big a deal as are the signals.

As long as the Pasts don't have another team's signals, then...oh wait....

Auburn was stealing FSU's offensive signals for the entire first half of the BCS game, yet FSU still came back to win from a 3-TD deficit.

Good teams will figure out a way to win, regardless. Talent always wins out unless one of the teams is significantly better or worse-coached than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post

I don't understand why Rex would give it out to anyone who's not on the team? What's the point in someone like saban having it? Definetly a head scratcher.
    Rex has a bit of naivety to him, no question about it. Great guy but some things he does are head scratching.

Hall Of Fame
    Having another team's playbook isn't really that big of a deal. Unless you are in the huddle and hear what play is being called it really doesn't have any value.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Having another team's playbook isn't really that big of a deal. Unless you are in the huddle and hear what play is being called it really doesn't have any value.
    +1. It's all about the calls and signals.
    There are websites where you can download (or buy) copies of high school, college and pro playbooks. Usually not current year stuff, but if a coach has been there for several years, an older playbook may not be much different.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrebet_The_Man View Post
    Auburn was stealing FSU's offensive signals for the entire first half of the BCS game, yet FSU still came back to win from a 3-TD deficit.

Good teams will figure out a way to win, regardless. Talent always wins out unless one of the teams is significantly better or worse-coached than the other.
    So we should all just look the other way on this? No making fun of Brady and the Patriots?

Can't have anything? They cheat and we give them more excuses? Again?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    So we should all just look the other way on this? No making fun of Brady and the Patriots?

Yup. You know. Everybody does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Yup. You know. Everybody does it.
    Point is every single time there's an excuse. Every time.

The Patriots don't need to cheat, they are "Above Average" at drafting and there is a Patriot Way about them, very classy law abiding citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

I hate those ****ers as much as anyone, but if Rex gave the playbook to Sabin, or anyone else, and it got to the Patriots, is it cheating?

Actually, according to the online course I had to sit through for work, if someone offers me competitive information like that and I use it, its unethical

THe playbooks don't matter... You can watch film to determine an entire team's playbook.

Signals and figuring out what play is called is everything... THe Patriots already figured out ways of stealing that.

And Pettine is such a dick.. Hope he fails miserably in Cleveland.

All League
    After reading the rest of the article it really doesn't matter if you have the playbook.
    Because out of the same formation and entirely different player could be executing an
    entirely different role

Jets Insider VIP
    Maybe the playbooks he gives out are for disinformation; to fvck with people's heads.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Any coach worth his salt could decipher a playbook by merely watching film...it's the gameplan that has the secrets I would think.

btw, extremely dooshy of Pettine to try and make Rex look foolish, especially since he doesn't imho.