Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: The Underlying Potential of this team

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ
    Posts
    2,525

    The Underlying Potential of this team

    One of the reasons an NFL year is so hard to predict each year, is because there are many overlooked factors during the offseason.

    For the Jets, I feel that we have a few overlooked possibilities that show the true 'ceiling' potential for this team.

    They revolve around 3rd year players Coples and Stephen Hill.

    Coples, if you remember played as more of a down lineman his rookie year, then last year made the switch to OLB. He got hurt early, struggled slightly (or rather did not stand out), and then came on strong at the end of the year. Barring another injury, this will be his first full off season after playing OLB for the first time. He finished the year strong.

    Stephen Hill, after two injury plagued years, has by all reports had a great spring.

    Now, let's pretend (for argument's sake) that both Hill and Coples go on to have strong years. Add that together with the improved depth of our secondary, improved special teams, a seasoned Geno, and legit playmakers on offense, and I would say their is potential for a really strong year here. Anything can happen, but if a few of our 3rd year players take the next step, we could be a dominant team this year.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,306
    You're correct. I think we also need Milliner and Pryor to have solid years... but this team is closer to being a 10 win squad than a lot of people around the country think..

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,278
    The potential of this team sits with what kind of O can they put together, period. The problem is keeping the D here, and in tact long enough to get a competitive O that doesn't have to match the level of the D, but one that works with the D and not against.

  4. #4
    I think the keys to this year are going to be the O-Line, Secondary and QB.
    Our O-Line needs to be better than last year both at pass protection but more so in run blocking. The development of the young Guards is key.
    Our Secondary last year was awful. We need that youth, speed and athleticism to translate to better secondary.
    Finally, our QB needs to much better. We dont need to have a Top 10 QB. We need an efficient QB who doesnt turn the ball over and moves the chains with consistency.

    I know our Receivers are light years better than last year. If all other facets of the team stay the same but we get better O-Line play, Better Secondary and a consistent, error free QB who doesnt turn the ball over....we are winning this division

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ
    Posts
    2,525
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I think the keys to this year are going to be the O-Line, Secondary and QB.
    Our O-Line needs to be better than last year both at pass protection but more so in run blocking. The development of the young Guards is key.
    Our Secondary last year was awful. We need that youth, speed and athleticism to translate to better secondary.
    Finally, our QB needs to much better. We dont need to have a Top 10 QB. We need an efficient QB who doesnt turn the ball over and moves the chains with consistency.

    I know our Receivers are light years better than last year. If all other facets of the team stay the same but we get better O-Line play, Better Secondary and a consistent, error free QB who doesnt turn the ball over....we are winning this division
    That's another guy you can throw into the mix: Brian Winters. His improvement will be key provided he continues to start. However, we now have legitimate depth in Oday & Dozier.

  6. #6
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,909
    I love this kind of thread. We do a GREAT job around here of crapping on our own players sometimes, of second-guessing our draft picks, of assuming that a mediocre player will only get worse and can't possibly get better. It's the Same Old Jets mentality to the n-th degree.

    So again, these kinds of threads are a welcome addition. Let's look at the glass half full. Go ahead....don't be afraid....try it.

    What if...

    Richardson picks up where he left off, Milliner takes another step and plays like a Top 10 pick, Pryor is a complete nightmare for opposing QBs, Coples busts out....?

    What if...

    Geno takes the next step and plays like he did in the final 4 games of last year, CJ plays like a guy with a chip on his shoulder, Decker shows that he actually IS a decent #1 WR, and Amaro solves the TE problem


    Let yourselves go. Allow yourselves to dream. It's June!
    Last edited by jetstream23; 06-19-2014 at 05:56 PM.

  7. #7
    What if the Jets got through this training camp and everyone...and I mean....EVERYONE was ready to go?


    Anyway, I can't wait to see the improvement that Geno has made from year one to now nor can I wait to see just how good a Receiver Decker can be for this team despite some crapping on the signing instead of a more sexy name out there.

    - Certainly cannot wait to see a very MOTIVATED CJ gashing defenses like they were not there.

    - Hope to see something....ANYTHING...from Stephen Hill(or he's history)...

    - Definitely EXPECT Folk-Hero to continue his Hero'ing ways in the art of the clutch Field-Goal.

    - Can't wait to see Pryor lay someone out(and pray he doesn't get a flag thrown for unnecessary toughness by the mamby pamby Goodell-NFL league).

    - Certainly am excited to see what McDougall is capable of despite his size. Do like what I've seen out of Patterson...

    - Hope to see Shaq Evans in the starting lineup(so to speak) on Gameday this season because I think he can "hit the ground running" as far as throwing him to the wolves(starting him) goes.


    - And of course, Amaro. He and Cumby are going to be one hell of a pass-catching Duo for the Jets.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ
    Posts
    2,525
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Let yourselves go. Allow yourselves to dream. It's June!
    We've discussed every worst case scenario...i just thought well, if you look at the other possibility....

  9. #9
    I don't think Hill or Coples make or break this team at all. We already have a replacement for Hill or several and at this point I dont think Hill has a great upside anyway. Same with Coples. Jets will do just fine without those two.I would consider Coples the more important one and we know he should be at least average. I just dont expect greatness out of either one at this point. If we have an average NFL player out of one of them they will help the te out.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ
    Posts
    2,525
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    I don't think Hill or Coples make or break this team at all. We already have a replacement for Hill or several and at this point I dont think Hill has a great upside anyway. Same with Coples. Jets will do just fine without those two.I would consider Coples the more important one and we know he should be at least average. I just dont expect greatness out of either one at this point. If we have an average NFL player out of one of them they will help the te out.
    It wasn't about making or breaking this team. It was that if they continue in the trend they are going in (strong offseasons), then the Jets are going to have some advantages that the average person/beat reporter is not taking into consideration.

    And I completely disagree with you regarding Stephen Hill. If he can stay healthy, he has a higher ceiling then any WR on the team, including Decker.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,643
    All good points. Let me see if I can sum up...

    If Geno has a good year, the Jets make the playoffs.
    If Geno has a great year, the Jets make noise in the playoffs.
    If Geno has a sucky year, the JI server will die of heat stroke.

    Did I miss anything?

  12. #12
    The biggest factor is going to be Geno, that's for sure. If he's improved by a good margin over last year, then we finally have a QB that can actually be an advantage than a liability, since Favre got hurt against KC I believe. I think the second biggest factor is matchup ability.

    I think the offense takes a big turn up this year because we finally have weapons, speed and options on offense. Last year, when Geno started running more, our offense was much harder to defend, because teams had to factor in his running ability, so they couldn't just overload the box and pin their ears to the RB. I think that helped the RBs as well because they weren't really dealing with the same amount of defenders because atleast one guy had to make sure Geno wasn't just running it by himself. And this was with one of the worst WR crops out there (quite possibly THE worst, I don't think I could think of one that was worse).

    Now this year, if you are a defensive coordinator, you have to plan for Decker, a good route runner with size and speed. Leaving him one on one will open up the passing game for us, so they have to concentrate on trying to contain him. That would leave whoever is lining up on the other side to have one on one coverage as well. And this is the year, we can actually take advantage of it because we have options (besides Hill) that can win one on one matchups. Last year, I believe the Steelers mentioned that they played man on everyone of our WRs because they knew the WRs couldn't beat them. This year, be it Hill, Evans, Saunders or Ford, we have guys that have more than enough speed to beat guys one on one. And if we get closer to the redzone, we can trot out Decker with possibly Nelson, Hill, and Amaro for size advantage as well. We can finally have personnel that can adopt to different situations because we have depth.

    And that's just the passing game. As with last year, the DC then still has to factor in the RBs, be it Ivory or Johnson to be a factor as well. And Geno still runs.

    So in a 3 WR set (with say Decker, Hill, Kerley) and Amaro at TE, and CJ at RB, this is what the DC has to prepare for. A very good WR in Decker, and two guys that are one on one matchup problems in Hill and Kerley, a monster TE, and a good RB that can catch as well, with Geno's running ability. I think that makes defenses play more normal coverages against us that trying to pin the run game, which should open up better holes for the RB. And because there are less men likely to be near the line, there won't be as many blitzes as well, which should help the pass game and give Geno time.

    This is obviously the best case scenario, but I just feel like we should have an offense that should score much more often than we did the last few years.

  13. #13

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    The biggest factor is going to be Geno, that's for sure. If he's improved by a good margin over last year, then we finally have a QB that can actually be an advantage than a liability, since Favre got hurt against KC I believe. I think the second biggest factor is matchup ability.

    I think the offense takes a big turn up this year because we finally have weapons, speed and options on offense. Last year, when Geno started running more, our offense was much harder to defend, because teams had to factor in his running ability, so they couldn't just overload the box and pin their ears to the RB. I think that helped the RBs as well because they weren't really dealing with the same amount of defenders because atleast one guy had to make sure Geno wasn't just running it by himself. And this was with one of the worst WR crops out there (quite possibly THE worst, I don't think I could think of one that was worse).

    Now this year, if you are a defensive coordinator, you have to plan for Decker, a good route runner with size and speed. Leaving him one on one will open up the passing game for us, so they have to concentrate on trying to contain him. That would leave whoever is lining up on the other side to have one on one coverage as well. And this is the year, we can actually take advantage of it because we have options (besides Hill) that can win one on one matchups. Last year, I believe the Steelers mentioned that they played man on everyone of our WRs because they knew the WRs couldn't beat them. This year, be it Hill, Evans, Saunders or Ford, we have guys that have more than enough speed to beat guys one on one. And if we get closer to the redzone, we can trot out Decker with possibly Nelson, Hill, and Amaro for size advantage as well. We can finally have personnel that can adopt to different situations because we have depth.

    And that's just the passing game. As with last year, the DC then still has to factor in the RBs, be it Ivory or Johnson to be a factor as well. And Geno still runs.

    So in a 3 WR set (with say Decker, Hill, Kerley) and Amaro at TE, and CJ at RB, this is what the DC has to prepare for. A very good WR in Decker, and two guys that are one on one matchup problems in Hill and Kerley, a monster TE, and a good RB that can catch as well, with Geno's running ability. I think that makes defenses play more normal coverages against us that trying to pin the run game, which should open up better holes for the RB. And because there are less men likely to be near the line, there won't be as many blitzes as well, which should help the pass game and give Geno time.

    This is obviously the best case scenario, but I just feel like we should have an offense that should score much more often than we did the last few years.
    Great post. The Jets have a very flexible offense. The ability to cause severe mismatches is there.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us