Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Islanders 2014-15 (Farewell to the Old Barn on Hempstead Turnpike)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Islanders 2014-15 (Farewell to the Old Barn on Hempstead Turnpike)

Here's hoping the last game at the NVMC isn't played until May or June...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

From Islanders:

Here it is!

The Islanders 2014-15 schedule has been released. The season opens October 10th at the Carolina Hurricanes. The regular season concludes at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on April 11th against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

http://nyisl.es/yjKwo

Nassau Coliseum is the ugliest, most unappealing arena in North American pro sports. The traffic on Hempstead Turnpike was a nightmare after Islander games. You all should be celebrating - Barclays Center is an enormous upgrade.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    It was tough to get to Dead shows.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Nassau Coliseum is the ugliest, most unappealing arena in North American pro sports. The traffic on Hempstead Turnpike was a nightmare after Islander games. You all should be celebrating - Barclays Center is an enormous upgrade.
    It's obviously from another era. The concourse is a nightmare. And traffic is bad if you don't know the in-and-outs of the immediate vicinity.

BUT.

There is literally not a bad seat in the bowl. And the place absolutely rocks in the playoffs.

It will be missed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Not to quibble but I've always thought getting out of he NVMC is a breeze. I'm usually on the Meadowbrook within 5 of leaving the arena.

Barclays may be nicer, but the view and atmosphere during big games is unmatched.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Not to quibble but I've always thought getting out of he NVMC is a breeze. I'm usually on the Meadowbrook within 5 of leaving the arena.

Barclays may be nicer, but the view and atmosphere during big games is unmatched.
    For years I would just park at Nassau Community College or the Omni and just slip out via Stewart Avenue. Easy peasy.

Of course, the fewer people that knew that trick, the better...

Ugly yes. But better sightlines and acoustics, you wont find. And if you knew the tricks, or lived local, getting out was no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Ugly yes. But better sightlines and acoustics, you wont find. And if you knew the tricks, or lived local, getting out was no biggie.
    Yeah I'm sure if I lived in Uniondale or Hempstead and was an intense Islanders fan I'd love the Nassau Coliseum.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yeah I'm sure if I lived in Uniondale or Hempstead and was an intense Islanders fan I'd love the Nassau Coliseum.
    LOL. Hockey fans in Hempstead.

Yeah, cause those are the only two towns close to the Coliseum.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    For years I would just park at Nassau Community College or the Omni and just slip out via Stewart Avenue. Easy peasy.

Of course, the fewer people that knew that trick, the better...
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    It always was easy. Even when I moved to Brooklyn from the Island, it was easy.

Jets Insider VIP
    It's obviously from another era. The concourse is a nightmare. And traffic is bad if you don't know the in-and-outs of the immediate vicinity.

BUT.

There is literally not a bad seat in the bowl. And the place absolutely rocks in the playoffs.

It will be missed.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

Yes. Playoffs. You remember, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Many a good time.........I'd rather be tripping.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Islanders take winger Michael Dal Colle with No. 5 pick. They trade up and get a second 1st round pick (28) and select Josh Ho-Sang.

Apparently media who follow the NHL draft said Ho-Sang was cocky/bad teamate, etc. Garth Snow goes on NHL Network and when asked about it says, "He'll fit right in. They **** on me too."

Live TV. Was he drunk or is he just completely unhinged at this point?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Islanders take winger Michael Dal Colle with No. 5 pick. They trade up and get a second 1st round pick (28) and select Josh Ho-Sang.

Apparently media who follow the NHL draft said Ho-Sang was cocky/bad teamate, etc. Garth Snow goes on NHL Network and when asked about it says, "He'll fit right in. They **** on me too."

Live TV. Was he drunk or is he just completely unhinged at this point?
    The hockey world doesn't know what to make of this kid, it seems. He's a top ten talent with a 5th round head. Or at least very cocky. Some things I've seen about him seem to indicate that he doesn't fit the buttoned up mold that the mainstream is looking for - not that he's a bad kid.

I don't mind taking a risk after getting MDC....they happen to be good friends. And two talented wingers is exactly what this talent pool needed. We have the DMen and Centers. I don't know if there are any solid goalie prospects in the third, but would be good to nab another one of those.

All Pro
    The Dal Colle pick was really a no brainer for us. Top scoring winger available in the draft -- he was the best available player at a position of need. But I just don't understand trading up for Ho-Sang. Based upon everything I read, it sounds like he was likely to fall out of the first round and was completely off of some teams draft boards. If they wanted to take a shot at him given his talent at 35, I would not have had a problem with the pick, but to give up 2 2nd round picks for a kid with some huge red flags, that just doesn't make sense to me. Oh well, I guess I just gotta trust that Garth knew what he was doing and the kid will grow up some.