Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Islanders 2014-15 (Farewell to the Old Barn on Hempstead Turnpike)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Oh, he also said he had talks with Moulsons agent before trading him away, and said that he (Garf) knew then that Moulson wasn't staying here. Honestly, I don't believe that for a second. Everything Moulson said indicated he wanted to be here. So Garf traded a UFA for another UFa. That was his reasoning.

That's probably how Garr came across to me on the radio. An unbelievable liar. Certainly not a good liar.

Also touted that the second round pick we received from Montreal for Vanek was used to trade up to get Ho Sang. Like a "See? Look what I did! Aren't I great?" without looking at the whole story.
    Well he obviously comes off as a prick, but I'm giving the devil his due. If and when an ownership change is made I want everyone fired immediately, including Garf but he's had a good offseason. He has failed as a GM but you can't deny that he has had his hands tied by the Wanger.
    My needs going into the offseason were like this:
    1 starting goalie
    2 good Dman that can play top 4
    3 Back-up goalie
    4 Wingers

He's addressed all of those needs except #2 so far, on a shoe string budget when no one wants to play here. I'll call BS on him not wanting a Dman, he has to do something with all of these forwards, we don't have the room for all of them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Busy day for the Isles in the media. Cappy on Sirius Radio:

NYIslanders ‏@NYIslanders 40m
    Here's more #Isles radio talk as Head Coach Jack Capuano joined @SiriusXMNHL this afternoon - http://nyisl.es/yLrHJ

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Busy day for the Isles in the media. Cappy on Sirius Radio:

NYIslanders ‏@NYIslanders 40m
    Here's more #Isles radio talk as Head Coach Jack Capuano joined @SiriusXMNHL this afternoon - http://nyisl.es/yLrHJ
    Anything of note said?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything of note said?
    Nothing that did not sound like typical "coach speak". I posted the link above so you can listen to the interview.

On Grabovski and Kulemin:

High character guys. Coach Cronin knows them well.
    Grabovski - dynamic offensive player, put up big numbers in the past
    Kulemin - big, physical player will help on PK and has ability to score
    Strong possibility they will start the season on same line
    Will have healthy competition at forward position

On Last Season:

Disappointing season -- injuries not an excuse but had impact. Especially injured to Nabby in November hurt team.
    Have more depth now -- 16 forwards under contract.
    Referred to the 12 blown two goal leads -- also commented that a lot of teams blew 2 goals leads in the playoffs.

On JT:

Feels good. Injury is healed. He is training, working out, will be 100% in September.

On Halak:

Excited to have him. Put up great numbers, great work ethic. With Johnson they have upgraded the area. Complimented Nabby and Poulin but excited about new guys. Have a great tandem to move into season.

On Draft Class:

Does not watch as much as scouts have, but he was impressed with both after meeting them after the draft.
    Dal Colle: Cappy met with MDC and his family after draft. High character guy. Looking forward to having him in camp.
    Ho-Sang: Media hype about him. Confident kid, highly skilled. Confidence will help him be successful. Will mature.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I just saw that the Rags signed Tanner Glass....maybe that's the karma gods balancing out the Dan Boyle signing. They basically gave away B. Boyle and Dorsett for Glass and a 3rd.

Makes me feel a lot better about having Boulton on the roster. Glass is awful and not even a particularly good fighter.

Sorry - I realize that this is not Islander-related but I felt the need to bring it up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Predators sign Volchenkov to one year deal for $1m, per nhl.com.

Would have been a good fit on the Isles for 1yr and $1m, IMO.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Predators sign Volchenkov to one year deal for $1m, per nhl.com.

Would have been a good fit on the Isles for 1yr and $1m, IMO.
    That's probably true - he would be a perfectly legit 3rd pairing defenseman. But, we now need to wait and see what happens with the trade market. If we can move Bailey/Grabner + Donovan for a top 4 dman, I'd classify this offseason as very successful.

I'm not sure what it will take to get Cody Franson, but Snow should be kicking the tires. He's going to arbitration with the Leafs and he is looking to get in the neighborhood of $3.5 - $4m. The Leafs are tight against the cap and having a dman make that much will be tough to swallow. A deal around Bailey could get it done.

Mike Green might be expendable as well from the Caps after they signed Orpik and Niskanen although that would probably cost a good bit more.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    That's probably true - he would be a perfectly legit 3rd pairing defenseman. But, we now need to wait and see what happens with the trade market. If we can move Bailey/Grabner + Donovan for a top 4 dman, I'd classify this offseason as very successful.

I'm not sure what it will take to get Cody Franson, but Snow should be kicking the tires. He's going to arbitration with the Leafs and he is looking to get in the neighborhood of $3.5 - $4m. The Leafs are tight against the cap and having a dman make that much will be tough to swallow. A deal around Bailey could get it done.

Mike Green might be expendable as well from the Caps after they signed Orpik and Niskanen although that would probably cost a good bit more.
    The thing with Bailey is that his contract doesn't match his performance, so he's probably rather worthless in trade bait. There's only one GM in the league who'd want him, and his name is Garf.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thing with Bailey is that his contract doesn't match his performance, so he's probably rather worthless in trade bait. There's only one GM in the league who'd want him, and his name is Garf.
    I agree that Bailey will be tough to move because of his contract. I guess it is always possible that you can trade Bailey for another player who has not lived up to his contract hoping that the change of scenery will do some good.

I think it is probably more likely that they move Grabs &/or Nielsen. I like Franz, but coming off of a career year, now may be the time to move him--especially with the added depth at center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that Bailey will be tough to move because of his contract. I guess it is always possible that you can trade Bailey for another player who has not lived up to his contract hoping that the change of scenery will do some good.

I think it is probably more likely that they move Grabs &/or Nielsen. I like Franz, but coming off of a career year, now may be the time to move him--especially with the added depth at center.

Agreed. Would loveto give Bailey a shot next to Tavares an Okposo though. Going back to the playoffs two years ago, Bailey playedon that line and was awesome. (Moulson played with Frans)

Frans is also 31, while not old, lo of miles on a smaller guy. Nelson is better suited to play center. Strome due to size looks like a winger. I think Grans and Grabner are the pieces that can bring something back. (I hate seeing Grabner go) I can also see Anders Lee getting moved. Lee looks great, but something reminds me too much of trent Hunter.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Garth said they wouldn't move Frans but we all know how much stock we should put in Garth's word. I would hate to move him but I agree that he is the one guy who would bring us back what we want - a top flight Dman. Its probably a pipe dream, but I would try and pry away Jossi from the Preds in exchange for Frans and one of our d prospects. I doubt they'd move him, but perhaps they'd consider it.

As far as Bailey goes, agreed - the only real hope of trading him is for another bad contract. But, in looking at his year, he was basically at .5 pt/game. That's not horrible, especially considering he came on towards the end. He obviously needs to be more consistent but I wouldn't hate having him on the team this year and I would also give him a shot at skating with JT/KO. More than anything, he needs to stop over-thinking, trying to make the perfect pass and just shoot the damn puck. If a 10 game experiment on JT's wing doesn't prove success, I'd be willing to give up on him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see Frans stay. Plus he's usually money in the SO.

Grabner, as much as I like the guy, damn near misses every one of his 2.8 break-aways per game. I can do without Grabs on the team if I had to.

Nothing to base this on, but I would not be surprised if Garf deals away Strome + Bailey (plus a 2nd round pick) for a D man.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see Frans stay. Plus he's usually money in the SO.

Grabner, as much as I like the guy, damn near misses every one of his 2.8 break-aways per game. I can do without Grabs on the team if I had to.

Nothing to base this on, but I would not be surprised if Garf deals away Strome + Bailey (plus a 2nd round pick) for a D man.
    I believe it when they say that Strome is untouchable. I'm less convinced about Nielsen. As much as I love Frans, he will probably never match last year's performance. I don't know what his shooting % was but I wouldn't be surprised if it was far above normal. He's a very useful piece but I don't see him as consistent 25 goal scorer.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else catch the Blue/White prospect game? They have it up on the Isles website and the quality of the feed is decent.

Two things I took away from this game was number one, Josh Ho-Sang is going too be a stud. This kids ability to skate and handle the puck is at a NHL level, and the crowd was chanting his name. It's been awhile since I've been this intrigued by a prospect, but he has the goods.

The other guy was Czuzman (sp?). I liked what he showed last year in his short time as an older rookie. He has a well balanced game with size and good offensive abilities, I could see him having a big part of our defense this year. Anyway we can bump the Hickey's into the press box I'm all for it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Two things I took away from this game was number one, Josh Ho-Sang is going too be a stud. This kids ability to skate and handle the puck is at a NHL level, and the crowd was chanting his name. It's been awhile since I've been this intrigued by a prospect, but he has the goods.
    I was hoping the Devils would draft Ho-Sang or Ivan Barbashev. Both should have been taken high than they were. At age 15 Ho Sang was the top prospect for his age and then got suspended a bunch etc. Barbashev probably dropped because he's Russian haha. Anyways, even though we're in the same division I have no ill will towards the Islanders. You guys have a lot of young talent that's close to turning the corner. It should be a fun season with everyone improving. Oh and the Rangers suck.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Anyone else catch the Blue/White prospect game? They have it up on the Isles website and the quality of the feed is decent.

The other guy was Czuzman (sp?). I liked what he showed last year in his short time as an older rookie. He has a well balanced game with size and good offensive abilities, I could see him having a big part of our defense this year. Anyway we can bump the Hickey's into the press box I'm all for it.
    I wish I knew that it was on -- got a few updates from twitter and it sounded like Ho Sang was impressive. What about Dal Colle? How did he look. And some of the young d-men, does Griff look like he is ready to be a top 4 d-man this year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I knew that it was on -- got a few updates from twitter and it sounded like Ho Sang was impressive. What about Dal Colle? How did he look. And some of the young d-men, does Griff look like he is ready to be a top 4 d-man this year.
    It's really hard to tell since it's nothing more than a glorified pond hockey scrimmage but Ho-Sang stood out to me. The best word I can use to describe him is "Slick".

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good article on the Isles D prospects.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...emen-1.8741634

..edit: odd, can't cut n paste - only about 1/4 of the article is showing, says I need to pay to see the rest....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good article on the Isles D prospects.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...emen-1.8741634

..edit: odd, can't cut n paste - only about 1/4 of the article is showing, says I need to pay to see the rest....
    Here is the entire article:

Islanders prospect watch: Breaking down defensemen

Wednesday July 9, 2014 12:49 PM By Arthur Staple

Here’s a bit more on some of the defense prospects I wrote about in Tuesday’s paper:

-- Ryan Pulock shed six pounds from his post-draft weigh-in last summer, down to 212, but he looks a lot more chiseled than he did a year ago. Being physically prepared for his first pro season will be just as important as the mental preparation and it seems the Isles' first-rounder from 2013 is prepared.

He can certainly see that Griffin Reinhart has the edge in fighting for a roster spot in September, but Pulock is undeterred.

“I’m still young and I’m fighting for a spot here in New York,” Pulock said. “If that doesn’t work, I’ll be in Bridgeport and keep working on my game to be here. . . . My goal is to come back in the fall and make a good impression. If that doesn’t end up this year, I’m content to go down and keep working. It’s good to know you can fill that spot if they come up.”

-- Another big, young defenseman to watch is Adam Pelech, a third-round pick in 2012. He’s physically imposing at 6-3 and 220 pounds and Isles people are greatly enthused by the way he carries himself. He had a superb season with Erie of the OHL, leading the team’s defense with 54 points and a plus-52 rating (I know, I know, it’s plus/minus. But plus-52 has to be good, right?).

The Erie team was stacked this season, with projected 2015 No. 1 or No. 2 pick Connor McDavid and Ryan Strome’s kid brother Dylan, among others.

“With the team’s success we had, it was definitely a lot easier for the individual players and it showed in guys’ play and in their stats,” Pelech said. “It’s easy to keep improving when you’re part of a winning culture. That was huge for me.”

He will need to learn at Bridgeport, like many of the other prospects in camp this week, but Pelech is one to keep an eye on.

-- Jesse Graham got a taste of pro life when he joined the Sound Tigers for the final seven games of last season. The 2012 sixth-round pick had already gotten some online attention for an empty-net goal save he made during his OHL season with Saginaw in February, hustling back to sweep the puck off the goal line and start a play the other way that led to a goal.

“I just wanted to try and keep the game alive, not get scored on and it ended up happening,” Graham said. “Then there were some tweets and texts and YouTube and it went from there.”

Graham is still on the small side, but his offensive skills are not in doubt -- he had 54 points in 66 games with Saginaw and Niagara, then a goal and three assists with Bridgeport.

He’ll be in the mix of young D with the Sound Tigers, along with new pro Loic Leduc (2012 fourth-rounder) and second-year pro Andrey Pedan (2011 third-rounder), who split his time between Bridgeport and Stockton of the ECHL, which just signed up with the Isles for a second year as an affiliate.

-- Add in Scott Mayfield, who had seven games with the Isles at the end of his first full pro season, and Kevin Czuczman, who at 23 would either fit right in age-wise with the Islanders defense or would possibly be the most senior member of Bridgeport’s kiddie blue line corps, and this is a young, young group.

“Yeah, we’re young, but the quality is high-end,” Brent Thompson said. “My first year in Bridgeport, me and (assistant coach Eric Boguinecki) had a pretty young corps there -- we worked with them on a regular basis. Aaron Ness, Matt Donovan, Calvin de Haan, those were three young guys just feeling their way around and they turned out to be pretty good defensemen. There’s no reason this new group can’t take the same route and develop the same way.”

Funny that after Snow’s all-defenseman 2012 draft, there may actually be some prospects in there.

-- As for that group of three Thompson mentioned: Ness and Donovan were both given qualifying offers, though there may not be room for them in this packed system. My feeling is Ness may go to Europe and Donovan will be signed but possibly traded or give the Isles a ready call-up when needed.

De Haan is an Islander for near certain.

-- And what of Ville Pokka, the Isles’ 2012 second-round pick? Pokka’s language skills are about the only thing he needs serious work on. He won an SM-Liiga crown with Karpat in Finland last season and, at 19, was an alternate on the Finns’ world championship team (and they take that tournament seriously).

“I think everything -- I improve almost everything,” Pokka said after his first day of camp. “Mostly skating, but I still need to work on it.”

He’s shed a bit of the baby fat he had during his draft year, down to 194 pounds. My understanding is that if he does not make the Islanders out of camp in October. He will return to play for Karpat, where most of his fellow D-men last season were in their 30s.

That’s not a drawback or a setback, it’s just reality with young European-based players.

-- The forward group is a little thinner than past prospect camps, with only six draftees on hand. Of course, that includes 2014 first-rounders Michael Dal Colle and Joshua Ho-Sang, so the spotlight is very much on them this week and Thursday night in the Blue-White scrimmage.

The only forwards here this week who will be likely in Bridgeport this season are Mike Halmo, who did some nice things in his 20 games with the Isles last season; Alan Quine, an overage 2013 sixth-round pick; Lukas Sutter, an overage seventh-rounder this year and Victor Crus-Rydberg, who got a seven-game stint with the Sound Tigers at the end of last season.

There could be a couple depth signings off of camp, of course, but the focus here is on the group of defensemen who are pro-ready. Even with a trade for a top-four D-man, someone out there this week -- or a couple someones -- could be challenging for third-pair minutes, either at the start of the season or somewhere down the road in 2014-15.

-- Sebastian Collberg (shoulder) and 2014 draftee Kyle Schempp (unknown) are doing non-contact skills work this week, alongside three “veterans” in Ryan Strome, Johan Sundstrom and John Persson.

Strome told me he’s happy to come down for the week, even though he’s not a camper anymore. “It’s a chance to show some leadership, get to know some of the new guys,” he said, in addition to some other comments you’ll be seeing in a fuller story later in the week.

Strome’s challenge to find a significant role got tougher last week with the Isles’ signings of Nikolai Kulemin and Mikhail Grabovski, but there’s no free rides, even for someone with his future.

I’ll be back out at the Coliseum Thursday for the scrimmage and I’ll have some post-scrimmage thoughts to scribble here on Friday

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    For some reason they don't have the game on the Isles website, which sucks since I missed the first half (they only play 2 periods).