Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets trying to get underachieving receiver Stephen Hill to better use his speed.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Post Jets trying to get underachieving receiver Stephen Hill to better use his speed.

Jets trying to get underachieving receiver Stephen Hill to better use his speed

The Jets made some adjustments to help wide receiver Stephen Hill, who may be getting a last chance with the team this summer.
    (Frances Micklow/The Star-Ledger)

By Dom Cosentino/NJ.com
    The Star-Ledger

The Stephen Hill Saga is well-known to Jets fans by now. A big, raw talent drafted in the 2012 second round, Hill's first two seasons were plagued by injuries and a general lack of production: 45 catches, four touchdowns, certain games in which he simply seemed to vanish.

The Jets have thus far stopped short of labeling the 6-foot-4, 215-pound Hill a bust, but they did make it a priority this offseason to upgrade their receiving corps, first by getting Eric Decker in free agency, then by selecting three more wideouts in the draft. The message was plain: By no means would Hill be guaranteed a roster spot in 2014.

That's not to say the Jets aren't still doing what they can to help Hill become the player they traded up four spots to get two years ago.
    The priority for Hill, first and foremost, is staying healthy and getting his knees to cooperate. His rookie year was cut short by arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, and last season constant swelling in both knees eventually landed him on injured reserve again.

"That's the No. 1 thing," said Jets wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal. "Because when he's healthy, his mind is where it should be. Instead of thinking, 'Is this going to hurt when I cut?' or 'I'm not feeling right, I've got to manage my gait,' etc. Now he can think about what the defense is doing, and concentrating on the route, the catching, all that."

That said, Hill also has to learn how better to use his speed. Part of the reason the Jets so coveted Hill during the 2012 draft was the blazing 40-yard dash time (4.36 seconds) he ran during the combine that winter.

But speed is only a part of effective route running for a receiver. And Hill is still learning that.

"Certain things don't have to be full-speed all the time," Hill acknowledged last month.

The Jets understand this, too. To assist Hill, Lal and offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg have spent time this offseason breaking down Hill's routes to show Hill how to be more efficient in running them.

"He's long-legged and he's fast," Lal said. "At times, guys like that can get out of control at the top of a route. Certain routes, Steve doesn't have to open his stride up all the way. Certain routes, with a multiple change of directions, you want a controlled stride, or a controlled speed.

"We can create the illusion that he's going full-route speed when he's not. Those are some of the things we're working on."

The early returns from organized team activities and minicamp were pretty good; Hill ran mostly with the second team and caught a lot of what was thrown his way, even if he sometimes used his body when he should have grabbed the ball with his hands.

"Early results are positive," Lal said. "The main thing is [for Hill] to stay healthy and get enough reps on the practice field and in games to become a complete player, to not be quote-unquote 'raw' anymore."

The true test, of course, begins during training camp, when the Jets will have 12 receivers competing for five to seven spots on the final roster.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-03-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Hoping he stays healthy. If he does, with Decker next to him and Geno taking the next step, I fully expect him to make plenty of bigplays for us and stretch the field while Decker moves the chains.

He's actually catching with his hands and not his belly in that picture. That's rare for him.

All Pro
    Jets trying to get underachieving receiver Stephen Hill to better use his hands.

Would be a more appropriate article.

I loved his potential coming out of GaTech, but this is it for him. If he doesn't show MAJOR signs of improvement this offseason he will likely be a goner.

Lal is focusing on the wrong thing with Hill.

It never was about his speed. It was about him body-catching the football instead of with his hands, that was the problem.

C'mon Lal....you're supposed to be this WR-guru and you still haven't identified what Stephen's REAL problem is?

What the hell are the Jets paying you for?

Edit : DaBallhawk disliked this post (naturally)
    Last edited by Vin; 07-04-2014 at 12:23 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post

It never was about his speed. It was about him body-catching the football instead of with his hands, that was the problem.

C'mon Lal....you're supposed to be this WR-guru and you still haven't identified what Stephen's REAL problem is?

I think he has a problem with both things. What he doesn't have a problem with is drops anymore. So with his size, and speed, if he can get open, I mean way open, then he doesn't need to fight for as many contested balls.
    I mean lets work on his perception as well, but you may not be able to teach that.
    With his size/speed he could do some major damage if he learned how to be more savvy in his routes, and use his body to shield off defenders.
    You may not be able to teach him that either I'm afraid.

nowhere does it say speed is the problem...

"He's long-legged and he's fast," Lal said. "At times, guys like that can get out of control at the top of a route. Certain routes, Steve doesn't have to open his stride up all the way. Certain routes, with a multiple change of directions, you want a controlled stride, or a controlled speed.

"We can create the illusion that he's going full-route speed when he's not. Those are some of the things we're working on."

these are ways to better use speed, better control speed, and those are things that will help him gain separation. a perfect route from him opens up the field for other players too. if he cuts and loses his cover man, a safety comes to help, someone else becomes open. obviously they're working on hands too...

Yeah, it's definitely more of a route running concept/hands thing for Hill than it is speed. He isn't open all the time, but he does get separation at times. No body catching WR has ever been/ever will be great. He has to use his hands.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I think he has a problem with both things. What he doesn't have a problem with is drops anymore. So with his size, and speed, if he can get open, I mean way open, then he doesn't need to fight for as many contested balls.
    I mean lets work on his perception as well, but you may not be able to teach that.
    With his size/speed he could do some major damage if he learned how to be more savvy in his routes, and use his body to shield off defenders.
    You may not be able to teach him that either I'm afraid.
    We won't know that for sure until the pads go on and the hitting begins.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    nowhere does it say speed is the problem...
    these are ways to better use speed, better control speed, and those are things that will help him gain separation. a perfect route from him opens up the field for other players too. if he cuts and loses his cover man, a safety comes to help, someone else becomes open. obviously they're working on hands too...
    ^^

He's learning how to play the game, regrettably. His athleticism and hands got him drafted. Being hurt has slowed the learning curve badly.

He hasn't been competing on the field. He's thinking, rushing things, and not aware of what D's are about. The drops are a symptom of this. His hands are good. It's all about competing on the field and not thinking about what he's doing.

He's gotta stay healthy so MM can ease him in and allow Hill to find his way.. It's not about the first game. It's about Hill finding his way. If he's clueless in camp, and one of the new guys starts fast, he could be in trouble. But, if he makes the team it's about a good quarter of the season to see if he can insert himself into things.

We'll see. Hopefully we don't have to watch too many more 'project guys' drafted at the top of the draft, i,e. DuCasse, those top picks are too valuable to waste.

* A guy who needs to work on his hands and catching fundamentals is Enuwa. He's a beast otherwise. If he shows instincts and can improve on catching the ball... at the 6th round could be a steal

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    What did he have like 86 catches in college, at GT? This is right up there with Gholston.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    He's actually catching with his hands and not his belly in that picture. That's rare for him.
    This video is very interesting. Not only does it show the "belly-catch", it also shows that he almost never catches a ball in stride. He nearly always stops, turns, jumps, and belly-catches. Seems to me that if your "burner" always stops before the catch this negates his speed advantage over the defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit : DaBallhawk disliked this post (naturally)
    NTB. Coaches actually work on more than 1 thing at a time.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He's credited with one drop last season.

Injuries, bad routes, etc are his problems. Always interesting reading what people believe is true

Who the heck is that teaching him?

His knees are the biggest problem, and it seems to be chronic rather than an injury. I hope I'm wrong.

Is this last years picture because Im thinking that is Holmes. If so he at least showed Hill some useful skills.