Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets trying to get underachieving receiver Stephen Hill to better use his speed.

Wait no Holmes didnt have Dreads who the heck is that.,,,,,

Dear Lord Gates is 10 now that is who it is. Gates TEACHING Hill to catch. wow

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Dear Lord Gates is 10 now that is who it is. Gates TEACHING Hill to catch. wow
    Lol....I think that's just a drill and Gates is providing rudimentary interference.

I'll say....Between Gates, Ford, Hill, and CJ they could win Gold in the 4x100 relays. CJ might be the only one who hangs onto the baton tho!!

Hill's gotta be better than Gates and Ford...But, one of them may be returning Kick Off's, so Hill better get wit it yo!

Veteran
    I rather have him just try and use his two hands to catch the ball.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    We won't know that for sure until the pads go on and the hitting begins.
    We already saw it last year. If the ball gets to his hands, he'll probably catch it.
    The problem is he has to wait for the ball to get to his hands. He can't go get it because he doesn't have that anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    What did he have like 86 catches in college, at GT? This is right up there with Gholston.
    Hill never had to run a full route tree in college. That should have been a huge red flag but Tannenbaum was a waste of time his last couple years as our GM. BTW I believe the story that Rex wanted Russell Wilson and he got overruled in favor of Hill.

I also don't think its impossible that Hill ends up with a surprisingly good year this season.

The continued anger at Hill because he was a busted 2nd round pick is misplaced. That anger goes to Tanny and the Jets. Hill didn't draft himself.

Hill is a big, fast, physical WR who has not developed as hoped. He is in a tough competition this year. If he breaks out, he could be a starter--and that would be by far the best outcome for all of us. But if what we have seen is all there is, he will be a cut or bottom of the roster player. Whichever, it's time for the Jets to move on. Nelson is a reliable WR. If Hill is a cut, the Jets WR pool will be less talented than otherwise, but still worlds better than last year. How could they not?

Whether it's Hill or one of the Rookies (or Salas), the Jets competition mantra will lead to a better group of WR's.

Quote Originally Posted by addage View Post
    The continued anger at Hill because he was a busted 2nd round pick is misplaced. That anger goes to Tanny and the Jets. Hill didn't draft himself.

Hill is a big, fast, physical WR who has not developed as hoped. He is in a tough competition this year. If he breaks out, he could be a starter--and that would be by far the best outcome for all of us. But if what we have seen is all there is, he will be a cut or bottom of the roster player. Whichever, it's time for the Jets to move on. Nelson is a reliable WR. If Hill is a cut, the Jets WR pool will be less talented than otherwise, but still worlds better than last year. How could they not?

Whether it's Hill or one of the Rookies (or Salas), the Jets competition mantra will lead to a better group of WR's.
    Disagree. Stephen Hill plays with no heart and he checked out of last season after he got hit in the Titans game. Before that hit he was actually having a decent year. Tanny botched the pick no doubt but Hill half-assed it last season.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Hill never had to run a full route tree in college. That should have been a huge red flag but Tannenbaum was a waste of time his last couple years as our GM. BTW I believe the story that Rex wanted Russell Wilson and he got overruled in favor of Hill.

I also don't think its impossible that Hill ends up with a surprisingly good year this season.
    It compare him to Ghost overall is ridiculous. Hill actually produced last year till he got hurt. If he can stay healthy he is your primary deep guy this year fitting that DJax roll. Unless Saalim or Gates somehow take a huge step up and look like Cruz this year Hill will be one of the best weapons we have in this O. I honeslty dont get some of the hate for Hill at this point. He is good at going deep and can actually play a role on the team just maybe not a starter role. Ghost was never even a role player.

It compare him to Ghost overall is ridiculous. Hill actually produced last year till he got hurt. If he can stay healthy he is your primary deep guy this year fitting that DJax roll. Unless Saalim or Gates somehow take a huge step up and look like Cruz this year Hill will be one of the best weapons we have in this O. I honeslty dont get some of the hate for Hill at this point. He is good at going deep and can actually play a role on the team just maybe not a starter role. Ghost was never even a role player.
    I can see the comparison. Ghost had the physical ability to be an all-pro OLB he simply didn't want it. Alot of college and NFL receivers wish they had Stephen Hill's physical intangibles. If Wayne Chrebet had Stephen Hill's body he'd a probably had a hall of fame career.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I can see the comparison. Ghost had the physical ability to be an all-pro OLB he simply didn't want it. Alot of college and NFL receivers wish they had Stephen Hill's physical intangibles. If Wayne Chrebet had Stephen Hill's body he'd a probably had a hall of fame career.
    Don't agree with you reading of Hill--but you're dead on about Chrebet. Problem is, you could put Chrebet into a whole lot of high end NFL WR's bodies and you'd get a better WR. But it's because Chrebet was extraordinary, not because the other guys are that bad.

All Pro
    Hill actually produced last year till he got hurt.
    I'll agree with this - 13 catches his first three games, only 10 the rest of the season. Guy needs to stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by addage View Post
    Don't agree with you reading of Hill--but you're dead on about Chrebet. Problem is, you could put Chrebet into a whole lot of high end NFL WR's bodies and you'd get a better WR. But it's because Chrebet was extraordinary, not because the other guys are that bad.
    All I'm saying is Hill is a physically gifted player. Ofcourse he's been more productive than Ghostbum but so is anybody that has actually played. I'm questioning Hill's motivation and it doesn't help that he's had some pretty lousy coaching to guide him (Lal, Soprano).

> Is legit 6'4
    > Has long arms
    > Constantly puts his hands near his belly button to catch the ball

So frustrating.
    Last edited by McGinley; 07-05-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Geno does not trust Hill. Hill has a very long way to go if he is to make this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Geno does not trust Hill. Hill has a very long way to go if he is to make this team.
    Hmm Hill was his #1 target last preseason if you remember. He was the only WR he had any timing with. Unless your getting that from Geno I am pretty sure youre wrong.

Hmm Hill was his #1 target last preseason if you remember. He was the only WR he had any timing with. Unless your getting that from Geno I am pretty sure youre wrong.
    Preseason, lol. I'm not saying Jetdawgg is right on that one, but you gotta have a better counter-argument than preseason targets.

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/11/new...akdown-week-9/

A frequently discussed topic on this site has been the use or misuse of Stephen Hill, along with his lack of production. From this game, his struggles can be attributed to a combination of three things: a lack of trust from Marty Mornhinweg, a lack of trust from Geno Smith and continued poor route running.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Preseason, lol. I'm not saying Jetdawgg is right on that one, but you gotta have a better counter-argument than preseason targets.
    If he is saying Geno doesnt trust him he need Geno saying it to prove it because history shows otherwise. He was his favorite WR at the start of last year. You cant go from that to you cant trust him. That is just speculation unless he has a direct quote from Geno given their history together

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    I agree with Jetdawgg.

There was several occasions last year where Geno was looking for Hill, and Hill was oblivious to the situation at hand as plays broke down, or when Geno needed Hill to adjust to what the D was doing. Gates is like that too.
    They're clueless as to what's happening in the game as things develop. They're not competing to make plays on the fly.
    Some of these guys are tremendous athletes physically...but they're not necessarily good football players.

Geno's frustration showed on the field with them. When he didn't have Kerley, Holmes and Winslow, MM had to dumb the O down. Even when Holmes and Winslow were available they weren't practicing. That was an untenable situation for them and it really hurt Geno.

When you consider that Gates or Ford will maybe return KO's, Hill's gotta show somethin'. Geno needs players that know what they're doing. Enough of these guys already like Gates, Hill, DuCasse, Conners et, al....That's what happened under Tanny...omg it was horrible lol