Thread: Geno Smith "I feel good about our team making a superbowl run"

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Post Geno Smith "I feel good about our team making a superbowl run"

Geno Smith: 'I feel good about our team making a Super Bowl run'

By Dom Cosentino/NJ.com The Star-Ledger
    July 06, 2014 at 4:32 PM, updated July 06, 2014 at 5:05 PM

The NFL Network caught up with Jets quarterback Geno Smith on Sunday, and they elicited from him some serious confidence about this upcoming season.

"I feel good about our team making a Super Bowl run," Smith said at his football camp in his hometown of Miramar, Fla.

Smith made some other comments, too, including a "Why not us?" remark that echoed what Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson said he told teammates early last season, long before the Seahawks actually went on to, you know, win the Super Bowl.

But let's be honest: Everyone's going to zero in on Smith's Super Bowl line and use it either for him or against him all year long, depending on how well or how poorly he plays. And if the Jets turn out to be awful, it won't take long for Smith's remark to get placed alongside Rex Ryan's history of Super Bowl guarantees to prove something or other about the Jets' ability to lead the league in inflated self-regard.

But Smith wasn't making a guarantee. He wasn't even making a promise. He just gave an honest answer to a question about what he thinks the Jets can achieve this year. It might seem silly to those of us on the outside—LOLJETSSUPERBOWL—but on the inside it's the kind of belief that has to take root if the Jets are ever going to get there. Geno Smith is the favorite to be the Jets' starting quarterback. If he doesn't at least think they can make a run at a Super Bowl, he's probably in the wrong line of work.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._bowl_run.html

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I know alot of people are going to bash Geno for saying this - but, you want your starting QB to have this kind of confidence, this is what gets a team to believe in you - as well as themselves.

It creates team bonding & chemistry and should definitely make the team rally around him.

This is the "It" factor.

A Quarterback that believes in himself and his team.

He went 8-8 as a rookie and has 5 game-winning drives in the 4th quarter or overtime to his credit.

In his sophomore season, Geno is poised to make a significant jump.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-06-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Rookie
    Let's just set our sights on winning the opener and then game two and so on...

I appreciate his enthusiasm, even if I think it's a bit unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    This is the "It" factor.
    The "It Factor" has nothing to do with media platitudes and hot air in July.

The It factor happens on the field, where winners will their team to victory despite all the odds, by putting the team on their own back.

This? Empty sterotypical offseason by-the-numbers say-what-everyone-says fluff.

Lol, this comment is the "it factor"?, lol, lol, lol, lol.

every team makes a superbowl run....some execute on it and some don't. if you aren't playing for the ring then its pointless.

I love this by Geno. Some people need to grow some balls. This team lost its swagger and basically got neutered by the media by making all kinds of predictions and fatcessa lead the charge against this. There is nothing wrong with believing in your team. People seem to think as if anyone believes in our team its bad...and we should just continue to be mediocre. What should Geno say? "Looking forward to another 8-8 season" Every teams goal is to win the SB if that not your goal I dont want you on this team...that is all.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    I love this by Geno. Some people need to grow some balls. This team lost its swagger and basically got neutered by the media by making all kinds of predictions and fatcessa lead the charge against this. There is nothing wrong with believing in your team. People seem to think as if anyone believes in our team its bad...and we should just continue to be mediocre. What should Geno say? "Looking forward to another 8-8 season" Every teams goal is to win the SB if that not your goal I dont want you on this team...that is all.

I think it is what you want to hear out of your QB and/or Coach. Realistic or not you just want to hear we are in it to win it. Quit is contagious that is why we bashed Mark so bad for pouting on the sidelines and his weekend retreats with his troubled WRs. Be a leader get everyone playing for the same thing. It doesnt have to be win it or your out of the family just give me your best and lets do this.

Let's have the last laugh Geno. The D is intact and the O has been upgraded. This is NY. Go for it.

Sure it's a platitude. But what else is he going to say? "Gee, we've got no chance. We'll just skip training camp and pack it in." Athletes have to believe in themselves whether they're able to deliver on the confidence or not.

But "objective" analysis isn't so accurate either. SOJF's, Cimini and Mehta all knew the 2013 Jets were no good and would only win 3 games. Predict that every year and you're bound to be right someday. Cimini and Mehta make $ pedaling gloom. SOJF's just wallow in it.

Jets Insider VIP
    When he was drafted last year he stood on the stage at RCMH and said he was looking forward to taking the Jets to the playoffs, and it seemed absurd and preposterous at the time, yet they got within one win of it. So, why not?

All League
    Geno should have said, " I think we should shoot for 9-7, thats about our ceiling."

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Geno should have said, " I think we should shoot for 9-7, thats about our ceiling."
    This season is going to tell us alot about Geno Smith.

I think he has all the tools & the right mindset to be great.

The coaching staff from his rookie season remains in tact & they have set him up for success.

Now it's up to Geno to put it all together & I feel confident that he can do it.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-06-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I'm glad you feel that way, now STFU and get to work.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I'm glad you feel that way, now STFU and get to work.
    All indications from what I have heard & read is that Geno is the hardest working player on the team.

Not too shabby for a kid entering his 2nd season.

See the article below....

Jets’ Geno Smith, Dedicated to Improving, Will Work Through the Summer

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/20/sp...mmer.html?_r=1

By TOM PEDULLA
    JUNE 19, 2014

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — With the close of N.F.L. minicamps, many players will travel far and wide, eager to refresh their bodies and minds in preparation for the sweltering days of training camp leading to a 16-game regular season that inevitably leaves them battered, if not broken.

But on Thursday, the second-year Jets quarterback Geno Smith was hardly in vacation mode. “My job is 24/7, every single day,” he said. “There really is no time off.”

At the urging of coaches, Smith will allow himself the briefest of respites by taking a week or so to “relax my mind,” even as his conditioning continues. Then it will be back to film study, reviewing his performance during organized team activities and minicamp before he examines footage of opposing defenses.

Coach Rex Ryan was hardly surprised to hear of Smith’s devotion. “He’s been absolutely terrific,” Ryan said. “He’s on top of it.”

Smith’s study habits were among the variables the Jets could not be sure of when they drafted him in the second round after his stellar career at West Virginia. He eliminated any concern about how earnest he was about developing into a franchise quarterback, and his dedication has resulted in drastic progress.

Although he finished with the worst passer rating in the league last season at 66.5 and committed 25 turnovers — 21 interceptions and 4 fumbles — his improved play was the overriding factor in the Jets’ winning three of their last four games to finish 8-8. He had only two turnovers in the final quarter of the season.

According to Smith’s coaches, he has continued to make strides after joining the team as a raw talent.

“Last year at this time, it was 24/7 coaching footwork, where his eyes are, what his progression is, who his initial read is, all the different looks he could see,” said Marty Mornhinweg, who is in his second season as the team’s offensive coordinator. “So you go through every play, and we literally have hundreds of plays. This year, we call a play and — boom — he’s sprinting in and he’s got it.”

Uncertainty during practices is increasingly giving way to decisiveness. “You see a guy’s making better decisions because the ball’s coming out of his hands so much faster than it has been in the past,” said David Lee, the Jets’ quarterbacks coach. “He knows the offense so well; he now knows where everybody is when things break down and he has to move or scramble.”

It appears Smith used his strong finish and equally strong off-season to solidify his position in the minds of the coaches. At the end of last season, General Manager John Idzik did not make a commitment to Smith as the team’s quarterback for 2014. He also signed Michael Vick, a four-time Pro Bowler, ostensibly to compete with Smith.

But Vick said in late May that he did not see himself in an open competition for the job. When players report for training camp July 23 in Cortland, N.Y., it is expected that Smith will be given every opportunity to start. Mornhinweg has said Smith will receive 70 to 75 percent of the repetitions with the first team and some with the second team.

“There is no doubt he has grown in our offense,” said Matt Simms, the third quarterback on the depth chart. “It’s going to be an exciting year for him. I know he’s excited about it, and everyone else in this locker room is.”

Smith split repetitions with Mark Sanchez last summer as part of a competition that ended with a season-ending shoulder injury to Sanchez, who was released when Vick was signed. Smith said he would welcome the increased workload.

“You can never rep it enough,” he said.

EXTRA POINTS

REX RYAN said he gave a playbook to Alabama Coach NICK SABAN, but it remained unclear whether it ultimately reached Patriots Coach BILL BELICHICK. “In this business, you do share information with people,” Ryan said. “Nick Saban is a friend of Bill Belichick’s, and he’s a friend of mine as well.” Browns Coach MIKE PETTINE, the Jets’ defensive coordinator from 2009 to 2012, told themmqb.com that TOM BRADY bragged during a wedding reception for WES WELKER that the Patriots had the Jets’ playbook. Pettine also told the website that Ryan would distribute playbooks “like candy.” Belichick told reporters: “Talk to Mike Pettine. I don’t know.” Ryan played down the importance of the playbook, even if Belichick had it. “Every time we played New England, the game plan is totally different,” he said. “That’s part of the chess match.” The Patriots won five consecutive regular-season meetings before the Jets prevailed, 30-27, in overtime Oct. 20 in their most recent game.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-06-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He's not going out and screaming propaganda from the mountain tops

He's simply answering a question a reporter brought to him.

2014 will be all about Geno.

I love that he is confident ... Love that he is busting his *$$ ... Love that MM is still his mentor

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    He's not going out and screaming propaganda from the mountain tops

He's simply answering a question a reporter brought to him.

2014 will be all about Geno.

I love that he is confident ... Love that he is busting his *$$ ... Love that MM is still his mentor
    I really believe that this coaching staff remaining in tact will be huge for him.

MM is the best OC the Jets have had in 3 plus decades, I can't think of a better OC to help mold Geno.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    He going into his second year off a crap 1st, he better do something show some improvement at least.

Mark was the first guy to enter and the last guy to leave the building as well.