Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 135

Thread: Geno Smith "I feel good about our team making a superbowl run"

  1. #81
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,809
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Sanchez took a lot of hard hits and did get up, but he is soft in the sense that he is simply not the type of competitor that succeeds at QB in the NFL. He was far too happy to be one of the guys, do what you are "supposed to do" and hopefully win. He never took charge of the team, never held others accountable - because he didnt want to be accountable himself. Doesnt make him a bad guy (probably the opposite actually) but it certainly makes him a poor NFL QB.

    Geno is seems is a lot more competitive to me. That along with his much greater physical skills (better runner, stronger arm) should be in better position to be successful then sanchez was. Hopefully he can put it all together.
    Attitude-wise you might be right but holding others accountable will never fly if your own play is poor. In short his own play needs to be significantly better BEFORE the whole taking charge thing can start to work for him.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post

    Geno showed more grit, heart & determination in one season then Sanchez did in his entire Jet career.
    While nabbing the league's lowest passing rating - a lowlight Sanchez never achieved. Geno absolutely sucked last year, come to terms with it. Maybe this year will be different.

    Nothing wrong with Geno's quote - he isn't saying anything a starting QB shouldn't say. Hopefully he's feeling good about the team and his own level of play.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Attitude-wise you might be right but holding others accountable will never fly if your own play is poor. In short his own play needs to be significantly better BEFORE the whole taking charge thing can start to work for him.
    Correct - but you missed the point a bit, he never held HIMSELF accountable.

    Sanchez had enough tools to be good, but he has zero acumen for the position. Letting the clock expire (i dont care if it was preseason) when you have your team in the redzone is a perfect example that he just never "got it". He never demanded perfection from himself, so you are correct, how could he demand it of others.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    All I read for 4+ years was how hard-working Sanchez was and every offseason he was wowing the coaching staff and "turning the page." It's all fluff until they get onto the field and prove it.
    I agree with this. Though, I'd also say that Geno Smith played much better at the end of the season as well (and to be fair, So did Sanchez in his first 2 seasons).

    I feel that Geno Smith with improved weapons (again, he was a decent QB when he had 'borderline' NFL quality WRs on the field that he practiced with (Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill... Jeff Cumberland), a full preseason (Sanchez was the favorite to win the job in preseason last year and had the majority of snaps), and just another year in the NFL will make a big improvement this season. However, it's not remotely connected to what he's saying or what the coaches are saying.

    Saying that the team has the talent to make a SB run is meaningless, and I'm sure it was an answer to a question by someone. The offseason for young QBs always sound the same ('making the leap', 'picking up the offense better', 'learning what it takes', etc...) we can't know until he gets on the field, but despite his numbers, I think he showed something as a rookie and could make a jump to "average NFL QB" next season.

    The thing about the Jets under Rex Ryan is that they are one of the best teams in football when the QB doesn't throw more than 2 INTs or more in a game. I think Geno Smith will learn to limit that in 2014.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    While nabbing the league's lowest passing rating - a lowlight Sanchez never achieved. Geno absolutely sucked last year, come to terms with it. Maybe this year will be different.

    Nothing wrong with Geno's quote - he isn't saying anything a starting QB shouldn't say. Hopefully he's feeling good about the team and his own level of play.
    He sucked when Kerley wasn't on the field, he sucked when his receivers were Cribbs, Hill (some of the time), Gates, Greg Salas, and eventually David Nelson. He had little TE support (Cumberland had many drops, and Winslow was basically non-existent in the 2nd half of the season) and he really didn't have an outlet at RB (Ivory doesn't catch and Powell only managed 13 first downs on 36 catches). But (I will keep throwing this stat out there) in the 12 games he started with Kerley on the field, he was a decent NFL QB (12 TDs, 12 INTs, 60% passing). Not great, but decent. When your absolute #1 offensive key member is Jeremy Kerley and he's injured... especially for a rookie QB who got the job by default, well... problems are going to mount.

  7. #87
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Sanchez took a lot of hard hits and did get up, but he is soft in the sense that he is simply not the type of competitor that succeeds at QB in the NFL. He was far too happy to be one of the guys, do what you are "supposed to do" and hopefully win. He never took charge of the team, never held others accountable - because he didnt want to be accountable himself. Doesnt make him a bad guy (probably the opposite actually) but it certainly makes him a poor NFL QB.

    Geno is seems is a lot more competitive to me. That along with his much greater physical skills (better runner, stronger arm) should be in better position to be successful then sanchez was. Hopefully he can put it all together.
    Ironic since one of the qualities Tannenbaum specifically singled out when evaluating scouting and going with Sanchez was his hyper extreme competitive nature. The example he gave was that Mark would do anything to win such as knocking over a checkerboard if that's what it took to win a checkers game. I don't give Tanny much credit for anything but he must have entered the league with a competitive fire.

  8. #88
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    And SAR is complaining about Hitman's sig using up precious phone bandwidth?

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    And SAR is complaining about Hitman's sig using up precious phone bandwidth?
    Well, a low quality jpg that's probably around 500-700 kb isn't going to use up more bandwidth than 2 gifs that are probably about 1-1.5 mb each.

  10. #90
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Well, a low quality jpg that's probably around 500-700 kb isn't going to use up more bandwidth than 2 gifs that are probably about 1-1.5 mb each.
    But you aren't counting the extra bytes added via the obnoxiousness factor.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    But you aren't counting the extra bytes added via the obnoxiousness factor.
    If that were the case, my mere presence would have brought the site crashing down looooooooooooong ago. :p

  12. #92
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,394
    What always struck me about Sanchez was his immaturity. Go back and watch Hard Knocks to see what I mean. To be fair, he was just a baby when he entered the league but he dug himself a big hole and never climbed out to earn the respect of his teammates. Geno is much more grown up and takes his job much more seriously.
    Time will tell but I give him a much higher chance of succeeding.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    And SAR is complaining about Hitman's sig using up precious phone bandwidth?
    I think SAR needs to get a real phone, not some toy, and get off the discount plan.

  14. #94
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,498
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I know alot of people are going to bash Geno for saying this - but, you want your starting QB to have this kind of confidence, this is what gets a team to believe in you - as well as themselves.

    It creates team bonding & chemistry and should definitely make the team rally around him.

    This is the "It" factor.

    A Quarterback that believes in himself and his team.

    He went 8-8 as a rookie and has 5 game-winning drives in the 4th quarter or overtime to his credit.

    In his sophomore season, Geno is poised to make a significant jump.
    no one should be bashing geno. only jets haters will.

    now if he said, "i guarantee we will make a super bowl run" then i'd bash him, but he didn't.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Geno has a chance to be pretty good. Not many rookie QBs come through unscathed & finish strong, especially with a rookie guard and an empty cupboard of WRs each week.
    He's gonna have a lot of options in 2014, can he get through his progressions is the only question. It's been a long time since the NY Jets had a capable OC & a very good QB coach like Lee.
    Continuity is good, MM is no shrinking violet when it comes to calling plays and Marty will also use Genos strong arm to back off those safeties. I can see Amaro having a crazy azz year catching a lot of dump offs. What I'm really excited to see is the screens to CJ when Marty goes with his speed & quickness group. CJ will have more room to run than Ivory or Powell ever had last year.
    I can see us as a get a lead team, go to ground & pound but with Marty he'll always take a shot when the other team gets nosy in the backfield.
    Our balance will help Geno along, he won't have to do it himself, just convert 3rd downs & let your skill players make plays.
    Gonna be an exciting year for Jet fans.
    I'm not sure getting benched for Matt frickin' Simms fits the definition of "unscathed".

    I'll give Geno all the support I can, but this idea that progress is inevitable may come back to bite some of you . . .

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Well, a low quality jpg that's probably around 500-700 kb isn't going to use up more bandwidth than 2 gifs that are probably about 1-1.5 mb each.
    Most image sites won't let you upload gifs larger than 1MB unless you pay for it.

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    Most image sites won't let you upload gifs larger than 1MB unless you pay for it.
    I'm not sure which sites those are, then. I use Minus and Majhost for many of my gifs. Both of those allow you to upload 15mb+ gifs.

  18. #98
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I think SAR needs to get a real phone, not some toy, and get off the discount plan.
    I'm sure he has the 5 series (at least) with M4, I mean 4G, speed.

  19. #99
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethead View Post
    What always struck me about Sanchez was his immaturity. Go back and watch Hard Knocks to see what I mean. To be fair, he was just a baby when he entered the league but he dug himself a big hole and never climbed out to earn the respect of his teammates. Geno is much more grown up and takes his job much more seriously.
    Time will tell but I give him a much higher chance of succeeding.

    That's what struck me the most when reading Collision Low Crossers. Just a clown,and not in a good way. Such a great read btw, I highly recommend it to any Jets fan

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    That's what struck me the most when reading Collision Low Crossers. Just a clown,and not in a good way. Such a great read btw, I highly recommend it to any Jets fan
    What's it about?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us