Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camp Countdown - Which WR's will rise?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Camp Countdown - Which WR's will rise?

Camp Countdown: Which WRs Will Rise?

Posted Jul 9, 2014
    Eric Allen Sr. Reporter/Director, Internet Programming
    Email @eallenjets On the Inside

In the weeks leading up to the Jets 2014 Training Camp, we will take a position-by-position look at some of the key storylines to follow this summer.

After signing Eric Decker and Jacoby Ford in free agency and then drafting three players, the Jets have increased their depth at the wide receiver position.

“It’s a strong group from top to bottom and it’s an eclectic group,” said WR coach Sanjay Lal. “Everyone has a different trait, so we have our choice of a lot of good traits.”

Spring football and summer football are two entirely different ball games for receivers. Once practices commence in Cortland, will a couple of players not named Eric Decker and Jeremy Kerley separate themselves from the pack?

“Right now, you have an image on air and kind of in the nice setting of OTAs,” Lal said. “But when it gets grimey, who rises to the top?”

1. Decker’s Chemistry with the QBs: After playing the past couple of seasons with perhaps the greatest quarterback in NFL history, Eric Decker officially begins life without Peyton Manning.

“He has a unique feel for getting open,” Lal said of the 27-year-old. “You can’t quantify that it’s a step here or speed. It’s just savviness and he’s really shown that.”

2. Kerley an Outside Possibility: Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg mixes up formations and personnel with the best of them. With more talent at his disposal, Mornhinweg has options and one of those includes shifting Jeremy Kerley to the outside at times.

“Due to injury the past two years, he’s played outside,” Lal said of Kerley. “He just doesn’t know it — he knows it with great detail.”

3. Nelson Back for Year 2: In just 12 games of action last season, David Nelson finished T2 on the team in receptions (36) and third in receiving yards (423). The 6’5”, 215-pounder is a big target with good hands and some pundits think he could begin the year opposite Decker with Kerley manning the slot.

“He came in on a Wednesday and he started on Monday Night Football basically and made some big catches. We don’t win the home New England game without the big catch he made,” Lal said. “He’s been great.”

4. Hill Has to Continue Climb: To say this is a huge training camp for Stephen Hill would be an understatement. After taking some strides in the spring, the third-year pro now has to beat the bump & run and finish in the summer.

“He’s been healthy and he’s been a contested ball catcher in these OTAs and minicamp,” Lal said of the 6’4”, 215-pounder with sub-4.4 speed. “That’s a big step for him — learning to use his body, strong hands, pushing DBs out of the way legally and making the catch.”

5. Long & Short of It: The story is an entirely different one for the two Jets wideouts selected in the fourth round. Shaq Evans, a tough 6’1”, 213-pounder who missed all of OTAs in order to finish school at UCLA, will remain in study mode at SUNY Cortland.

“It is tough because he probably missed the most football he ever would have had in one stretch of time,” Lal said. “We had four to six hours with the rookies every day and he missed that time. It’s a challenge for me and for him to get him up to speed.”

Conversely Jalen Saunders, a 5’9”, 165-pounder expected to assume the No. 1 role as a punt returner, is off to a fast start and could help the offense in a situational role.

“Jalen is a true football player,” Lal said. “He’s instinctive, he’s quick, he’s fast and he’s tough.”

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...7-1f4b664e6510
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-10-2014 at 08:06 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rooting for Hill & Evans bigtime bc I think they are the biggest ???????? Evans missed OTA and Hill hasn't done much to prove that he is a #1 or #2 WR.. I LOVE #11 Kerley bc the jets were 8-4 wen he played last yr. I think Nelson has a spot along with Decker of Course and maybe FORD or SALAS?????

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot bout Gates Baby!!! We'll see

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think the starters will be Decker, Kerley and Nelson. Guess (hope) Saunders makes it and contributes as WR and Returner. Hill and Salas round it out. Evans and Enumwa to PS.

Salas may be dark horse surprise.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking Decker, Kerley, & Nelson as well will be our best option.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Decker, Kerley and Nelson our best options, then don't expect much offensively this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    I'm thinking Decker, Kerley, & Nelson as well will be our best option.
    Don't you think if Hill stays healthy, they have to go with him. He has so much more big play ability than Nelson.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Don't you think if Hill stays healthy, they have to go with him. He has so much more big play ability than Nelson.
    Whoever shines in training camp & the pre-season will fill those last few WR spots, its as simple as that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by addage View Post
    Think the starters will be Decker, Kerley and Nelson. Guess (hope) Saunders makes it and contributes as WR and Returner. Hill and Salas round it out. Evans and Enumwa to PS.

I think you're right about the starters. I don't think Evans would be safe on the PS though

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;5269634]Whoever shines in training camp & the pre-season will fill those last few WR spots, its as simple as that.[/QUOTwhy theE]

You don't think they're rooting for Hill to finally turn the corner.Hill is the guy who can really turn this offende into a dangerous one. Thats why I think if he stays healthy, he'll ne the one out they're vwith Decker most of the time.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't think they're rooting for Hill to finally turn the corner.Hill is the guy who can really turn this offende into a dangerous one. Thats why I think if he stays healthy, he'll ne the one out they're vwith Decker most of the time.
    I never said that, I just said whoever performs the best will fill the roster spots.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I never said that, I just said whoever performs the best will fill the roster spots.
    I would love to see Hill step up and have him spelled by Saunders, who can do some of the things Cooks could have done if we drafted him

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    No

I agree with ARod that whoever plays best in TC should get the spot along with Decker & Kerley.

Everybody would love for that to be Hill ... I'm not hopeful of that being the case however.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    No

I agree with ARod that whoever plays best in TC should get the spot along with Decker & Kerley.

Everybody would love for that to be Hill ... I'm not hopeful of that being the case however.
    It will be interesting.If Hill is clearly outplayed by someone else, then yes, someone else wins the job. I'd the competition is close, thats another story.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems likely that Decker, Kerley and Nelson are locks--always subject to injury. After those 3, it's a crap shoot. Obviously, if Hill can step up, that is the best possible outcome. But we can't predict that based on past performance. As for the others, there really is a large number of guys who have some potential. It will be nature of this camp that competition (did I get that right, Idzik?) will define the winners. And there a lot of interesting choices among the draft picks and ps types from last year.

Saunders is the most likely to emerge from this group based on his dual value as a WR and Returner. But even he faces stiff competion from Ford and others.

It's gonna be fun to watch.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by addage View Post

Saunders is making the team as PR. We have not had a dynamic PR since Santana Moss, this guy is it. He will do spot duty as a WR; 5 wide, trick plays, stuff like that. But they wont over work him.
    Last edited by Heynowguy; 07-11-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heynowguy View Post
    Saunders is making the team as PR. We have not had a dynamic PR since Santana Moss, this guy is it. He will do spot duty as a WR; 5 wide, trick plays, stuff like that. But the wont over work him.
    I was thinking this as well - assuming that Saunders performs as advertised.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    I forgot bout Gates Baby!!! We'll see
    Everybody forgot about Gates. His only chance is injuries to his competitors.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heynowguy View Post
    Everybody forgot about Gates. His only chance is injuries to his competitors.
    Gates won't make the 53 man roster this year - not a snowball's chance in hell.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Gates won't make the 53 man roster this year - not a snowball's chance in hell.

Clyde cameout the Gates fast during TC last yr or 2 yrs ago but wen the season started he got hurt..