Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: Camp Countdown - Which WR's will rise?

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,575
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Who's gonna return Kickoffs then?
    Either Saunders or Ford will be returning kickoffs.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    This is one of the most ill-informed posts I've seen in a long time.

    First off, Hill is not eligible for the practice squad.

    Secondly, "You can't teach people to catch the ball properly, attack the ball, or use your body to make a play."....... are you serious? That is exactly what coaches are paid to do. Go take a look at Chris Carter's early years, or Braylon Edwards, if you'd like someone more recent.

    I think you're mistaking intelligence, for "emotionally attached"..... the intelligent thing, is to look at a 23 year old WR, going into his 3rd year, that has had injuries, but has shown flashes of the ability of a #1/#2 WR, as an asset.... not a player you just cut. It doesn't matter where he was drafted..... that means nothing, as far as him being on the team. What does matter, is that he gets a chance to show improvement, in TC competition. It's entirely possible, and I think likely, that his knee injuries were, in part, due to Hill still growing physically. The guy grew an 1-1/2", between 22-23 years of age. If he doesn't win a job in training camp, I have no problem seeing him go..... but, I think he'll win a prominent role in the offense. I think the coaching staff believes he's worth holding onto, as well. Even if they don't believe he'll make the team, he has value in a trade..... at least a few other teams would be interested in his potential, alone.

    As a matter of fact, YOUR entire post seems EMOTIONAL, since none of your points are based in logic. It sounds more like you're pissed off that Hill was a second round pick, and hasn't become an All Pro, yet..... in his first two years.
    If he dies ... He dies.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    My guess is we will keep 6 WRs: Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Hill, Evans and Saunders. Enunwa to PS.

    Barring injury, I do not see any room for Ford, Gates or Salas.
    Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Hill & Saunders are probably locks as long as they stay healthy.

    If Hill starts having Knee/Hamstring problems again, that could open the door for someone else - maybe Ford.

    Evans (who has been struggling & is somewhat behind from missing all of OTA's & some of mini-camp because of his school obligations) Salas, Enunwa, Ford & Gates are probably fighting for the last WR spot - and I think Salas has the advantage from already having time in MM's offense.

    Ford has an outside shot for special teams/KO returns but again his health will be a factor.

    Evans will have to make a real showing in TC & the pre-season to stick - I know he was a 4th round pick but that doesn't guarantee him anything.

    I haven't heard much at all about Enunwa in mini-camp.

    Could be that Evans or Enunwa lands on the practice squad.

    The way I see it though, as a 4th round pick, Evans is really up against it.

    Gates I think is nothing more then a camp body, he's most likely gone.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-12-2014 at 08:19 PM.

  4. #44
    lol, salas is terrible. I will give you a thousand dollars if a healthy Ford and Evans get cut in favor of Salas

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    If Decker, Kerley and Nelson our best options, then don't expect much offensively this year.
    Amaro Cumberland Ivory & Johnson say hello. Guys like Johnson & Amaro open up things for guys like Decker Kerley & Nelson (Or Hill)

  6. #46
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,212
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceharper View Post
    You can't teach people to catch the ball properly, attack the ball, or use your body to make a play. Hill can't do any of those things.
    Certainly it is difficult to perfect your craft at the NFL level with your background experience having been limited.

    I can't believe the team won't have him on the WR staff in 2014 ... Although I do believe starter status is up for grabs in TC.

  7. #47
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,965
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Hill & Saunders are probably locks as long as they stay healthy.

    If Hill starts having Knee/Hamstring problems again, that could open the door for someone else - maybe Ford.

    Evans (who has been struggling & is somewhat behind from missing all of OTA's & some of mini-camp because of his school obligations) Salas, Enunwa, Ford & Gates are probably fighting for the last WR spot - and I think Salas has the advantage from already having time in MM's offense.

    Ford has an outside shot for special teams/KO returns but again his health will be a factor.

    Evans will have to make a real showing in TC & the pre-season to stick - I know he was a 4th round pick but that doesn't guarantee him anything.

    I haven't heard much at all about Enunwa in mini-camp.

    Could be that Evans or Enunwa lands on the practice squad.

    The way I see it though, as a 4th round pick, Evans is really up against it.

    Gates I think is nothing more then a camp body, he's most likely gone.
    I am not sure how much of an edge Salas has - he never caught a pass when he played with the Eagles and he did not exactly light it up for us last year -- 8 receptions in 8 games. I don't see him as anything more than a longshot to make the team. I think the competition for the last spot is likely to come down to Ford v Evans. I agree with you on Gates, and Enunwa is likely a PS candidate.

  8. #48
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I am not sure how much of an edge Salas has - he never caught a pass when he played with the Eagles and he did not exactly light it up for us last year -- 8 receptions in 8 games. I don't see him as anything more than a longshot to make the team. I think the competition for the last spot is likely to come down to Ford v Evans. I agree with you on Gates, and Enunwa is likely a PS candidate.
    Granted, Salas didn't light the world on fire last season - but from a competition standpoint, he already knows the offense, he has some NFL game experience under his belt & Geno has some familiarity with him.

    That gives him an advantage in my opinion.

  9. #49
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Granted, Salas didn't light the world on fire last season - but from a competition standpoint, he already knows the offense, he has some NFL game experience under his belt & Geno has some familiarity with him.

    That gives him an advantage in my opinion.
    If that's your basis, for Salas, then Gates should have the advantage over Salas..... he's been in the offense longer, has plenty of game experience, familiarity with Geno, and he's faster. I hate Gates, too.... but, if Salas has the advantage, for the reasons you mentioned --- then Gates is over Salas.
    Last edited by Laxman; 07-13-2014 at 02:04 PM.

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    If that's your basis, for Salas, then Gates should have the advantage over Salas..... he's been in the offense longer, has plenty of game experience, familiarity with Geno, and he's faster. I hate Gates, too.... but, if Salas has the advantage, for the reasons you mentioned --- then Gates is over Salas.
    Gates does not belong on an NFL roster, I have no idea why he is still on the team quite honestly......particularly after we have drafted 3 WR's & signed Decker & Ford.

    The difference between Salas & Gates is that Salas has shown he can at least catch the ball when it's thrown to him, where as Gates is just a complete waste of a roster spot.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-13-2014 at 02:18 PM.

  11. #51
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Gates does not belong on an NFL roster, I have no idea why he is still on the team quite honestly......particularly after we have drafted 3 WR's & signed Decker & Ford.

    The difference between Salas & Gates is that Salas has shown he can at least catch the ball when it's thrown to him, where as Gates is just a complete waste of a roster spot.
    Again, I don't like Gates.... but I don't think Salas belongs on the roster, either.

    Salas: 8 games/8 receptions

    Gates: 6 games/12 receptions

    Gates can produce just as well, if not better, than Salas.

    My point, is neither of them have, nor should have, an advantage over the other guys.

  12. #52
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Salas: 8 games/8 receptions

    Gates: 6 games/12 receptions

    Gates can produce just as well, if not better, than Salas.
    LOL, those numbers don't support your argument.

  13. #53
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    LOL, those numbers don't support your argument.
    Really? 1 rec./game is better than 2 rec./game?

  14. #54
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Really? 1 rec./game is better than 2 rec./game?
    Dislexia set in - my mistake, LOL.

    I do agree with you though, in a perfect world, neither one of them stick.

  15. #55
    Based on the numbers from last year, none of the roster carry overs are going to make the 53 this year. But TC gives each of them a chance to show development. While the odds are against them, there is always room for surprise. And if any one of them comes through, it will be great.

  16. #56
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Dislexia set in - my mistake, LOL.

    I do agree with you though, in a perfect world, neither one of them stick.
    Agreed. I don't wanna see Gates or Salas on the roster, unless they're CLEARLY one of the top 6 WRs..... I just don't see that happening. Gates has shown enough for me to know that I've seen enough of him..... Salas, to me, doesn't have the upside of a Hill, Saunders, or Evans. Enunwa, to the PS, I think.

  17. #57
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Saunders.

    Gates, Ford and Hakim don't have a place on the 53 man roster, barring injuries to Kerley/Saunders.

    The other four should be Decker, Hill, Nelson and Evans and/or Enunwa.
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Either Saunders or Ford will be returning kickoffs.
    I don't think it's likely Saunders will be returning KO's. Punts is much more likely.

    It's prolly gonna come down to Ford or Gates. Hopefully Ford, cause Gates looked to be a looooong way off the last couple years.

    But, remember... they both have blazing speed, and speed kills.....and team speed is something that Idzik is improving. Hopefully the light goes on for at least one of them as a WR.

  18. #58
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,473
    My two sense: Nelson will start opposite Decker and Saunders will backup Kerely because of his speed. Ford will be fighting for time at the #4 spot with Hill. I like the experience of having Nelson start opposite Decker, while he may lack the elite speed he's tough and knows the game. Also, Evans may not play a lot this season. He lost too much time this offseason and thats bad for rookies. Look at what it cost Milliner last year..

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    My two sense: Nelson will start opposite Decker and Saunders will backup Kerely because of his speed. Ford will be fighting for time at the #4 spot with Hill. I like the experience of having Nelson start opposite Decker, while he may lack the elite speed he's tough and knows the game. Also, Evans may not play a lot this season. He lost too much time this offseason and thats bad for rookies. Look at what it cost Milliner last year..
    Neither Evans nor Saunders will be cut. Hill is almost definitely making it. So right there we already have Decker, Kerley, Hill, Saunders and Evans. Do we carry 6 or 7? Do we count Saunders as return specialist and not against the WR number? Geno has some chemistry with Nelson and he seems excited and dependable things Idzik values. So that's 6. Ford making the team seems a real longshot. I think we need to go with 2 QBs and Boyd on PS, as we very well may keep 7 receiver types on the roster.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    You're so predictable. Swing and a miss.
    Yeah, I know--reality is harsh! Stick with me on this one. This is not a crew of scary WR's

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us