Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Lacrosse Championships

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

2014 World Lacrosse Championships

Anyone follow lacrosse?

great game going on ESPN2 right now, USA vs Canada.

would love to get a discussion on the sport and the future of lacrosse in America and the world.

6-3 USA at the half.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    c'mon man - we just got through the World Cup thread.....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    Anyone follow lacrosse?

would love to get a discussion on the sport and the future of lacrosse in America and the world.

6-3 USA at the half.
    You've come to the right place

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to learn more about this sport. My 6yr old has picked it up and looks awesome. I don't get the rules/strategy yet and suck atit myself to practice with him

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the other hand, there's comedy gold waiting to be mined in the Jets Movie Night thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    WTF happened to this country

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    c'mon man - we just got through the World Cup thread.....
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Peebag again.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    I want to learn more about this sport. My 6yr old has picked it up and looks awesome. I don't get the rules/strategy yet and suck atit myself to practice with him
    have him throw against a wall, with both hands...can never start too soon

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    It's soccer with hands, stick, and helmet. Only white kids play the game. Think Spalding-like.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    It's soccer with hands, stick, and helmet. Only white kids play the game. Think Spalding-like.
    Jim Brown was the greatest lacrosse player ever.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    Anyone follow lacrosse?

6-3 USA at the half.

Two field goals or we missed the extra point?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    WTF happened to this country
    Lacrosse was created in this country. I played the game since I was 4 and already have my 2 year old throwing with a wand. Growing up in LI, you're a weirdo if you don't play

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

who was the guy who posted here who used to do this to his eyes?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Team USA Uses an 8-Goal Run to Down Canada in FIL Opener

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. – After digging a 3-0 hole, the United States went on an eight-goal run to defeat Canada 10-7 before 11,447 fans at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in the opening game of the 2014 Federation of International Lacrosse World Championship.

Canada's Mark Matthews scored the lone goal of the first quarter and then Curtis Dickson and Jeremy Noble scored in the opening four minutes of the second quarter to give the Canadians a 3-0 lead. Those would be their last goals until late in the third quarter, a scoreless stretch of more than 30 minutes.

Kevin Buchanan and Paul Rabil keyed the start of the U.S. run with Buchanan notching the first goal of the game and the game-tying goal at 3-3 with 10:33 left in the second quarter. Rabil assisted on both of Buchanan's goals and then scored unassisted with 6:24 left in the first half to give the U.S. a 4-3 lead it would not relinquish.

Rob Pannell scored two third-quarter goals to give the U.S. a 9-4 lead heading into the fourth quarter, but Canada's Geoff Snider won the faceoff to start the final quarter and scored six seconds in and then Zack Greer added a goal less than two minutes later to cut it to 9-6. Rabil responded with his second goal at 16:26 left in the game and no one else scored until Kevin Crowley closed the scoring for Canada with 2:39 left in the game.

Rabil led the U.S. offense with two goals and two assists while Buchanan and Pannell each added two goals and an assist. Greer had two goals for Canada and Matthews added a goal and an assist.

The U.S. won the faceoff battle, taking 12 of 21 with Chris Eck winning 8 of 16 and Greg Gurenlian winning 4 of 5 against Snider.

Canada's Dillon Ward made 18 saves to keep his team in it as the U.S. outshot Canada 40-20. Jesse Schwartzman made seven saves to record the win for the U.S.

The U.S. and Canada will be off until Saturday, but play opens for the other 36 nations on Friday

http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=40695

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was created by native Americans, meaning that it's been played here for far longer than football, baseball, basketball, etc. It's also Canada's national sport, not hockey. To say it's like "soccer with sticks" is just ignorant. The only things similar to soccer are the field (110 yards) and the positions (3 attackmen on offense, 3 defenders, 3 midfielders on offense and defense, a goalie). The game, physically, is much more like ice hockey, as the body checks are similar, and the use of the sticks to check hands and body are similar, along with the required hand/eye coordination.

It's a great sport..... I've been playing since I was 8, and continue to play at 39. There's an Old Guy league (35+) that I play in, in Georgia, along with my two brothers. It's the fastest growing sport in America, for the last decade, at an average of 10% growth, annually. Since I moved to Georgia, in 1997, they went from 4 high schools with lacrosse, in the entire state, to over 190 schools.

Throwing against a wall is really the best and easiest way to practice, without someone else. Down here, there's Little Stix leagues..... my nephew has been playing since 4 years old. If you look, there's probably some similar youth leagues and camps that you can get your son involved in.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    It was created by native Americans, meaning that it's been played here for far longer than football, baseball, basketball, etc. It's also Canada's national sport, not hockey. To say it's like "soccer with sticks" is just ignorant. The only things similar to soccer are the field (110 yards) and the positions (3 attackmen on offense, 3 defenders, 3 midfielders on offense and defense, a goalie). The game, physically, is much more like ice hockey, as the body checks are similar, and the use of the sticks to check hands and body are similar, along with the required hand/eye coordination.

It's a great sport..... I've been playing since I was 8, and continue to play at 39. There's an Old Guy league (35+) that I play in, in Georgia, along with my two brothers. It's the fastest growing sport in America, for the last decade, at an average of 10% growth, annually. Since I moved to Georgia, in 1997, they went from 4 high schools with lacrosse, in the entire state, to over 190 schools.

Throwing against a wall is really the best and easiest way to practice, without someone else. Down here, there's Little Stix leagues..... my nephew has been playing since 4 years old. If you look, there's probably some similar youth leagues and camps that you can get your son involved in.
    Oh...

I just thought your username had something to do with the LA airport.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    Lacrosse was created in this country. I played the game since I was 4 and already have my 2 year old throwing with a wand. Growing up in LI, you're a weirdo if you don't play
    I had never even heard of lacrosse untill I went to yuppy jew camp upstate. Teaneck was, uh, lets say a bit to diverse for lacrosse.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    have him throw against a wall, with both hands...can never start too soon
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    He has been doing clinics since hes 5. He loves it but hes a beast. His coaches love him because be dives in front of the goal to block shots.