Thread: David Nelson Impromptu Reddit AMA (fan Q&A)

All League

David Nelson Impromptu Reddit AMA (fan Q&A)

He did this a little while back and it was very interesting...tonight at 7:30 David decided to do another one and there are a lot of questions regarding next year's offense amongst other things.

Take a look see here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2aozoq/anyone_else_bored_of_the_offseason_how_about_an/

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Geno is our guy, and its his team.
    That told me all I needed to know.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Yes. I was really surprised he answered that question so strongly.

[–]JetsLouisvilleSlugger_ 4 points 5 hours ago
    Does Calvin Pryor talk as big as he tweets?
    [–]David Nelson - WRDavidNelson86[S] 3 points 2 hours ago
    Not at all actually. He's pretty quiet in the locker room.. Which guys respect
    permalinkparent

what's one Rex anecdote that's stood out to you personally?
    love the Jets, love Rex, and i especially love our squad this year. MM and Lal have said nothing but good things about you this offseason, CAN'T WAIT to watch you and the boys kill it. GO JETS!!
    [–]David Nelson - WRDavidNelson86[S] 98 points 3 hours ago
    Oh man... How do I pick out just 1?
    I don't know if I'm allowed to say this, but I will. The week when rumors broke that the Jets were interested in Lovie and Rex was pretty much gone, he walked in to our team meeting the night before the game in tears. It wasn't because he was hurt, or because he was upset.. It was because they weren't talking about his players. He didn't care about himself or his future, he cared that what was going on out there was a distraction for his players.
    Thats Rex. The man bleeds for his guys. Ask any of his former players and they'll tell you the exact same thing. He's goofy and loves to have fun, but when push to comes to shove, he will go to battle for his guys... And guys love him for that.

[–]David Nelson - WRDavidNelson86[S]
    Yes- definitely. You see a a change in authority, and a change in demeanor with Geno. He is taking his game to the next level and it shows with how he leads our huddle and shows up to work everyday.
    I think CJ2K Is going to add a huge dimension to our offense! The dude is a playmaker- and I think he has a lot left in the tank!

Love these answers. Good stuff.
    Last edited by MDL_JET; 07-14-2014 at 11:35 PM.

This is from someone who roomed with Coples at the Hardgrove Military Academy. He talks about Mo too. Pretty cool.

"Coples was an interesting guy to live with. I liked him immediately for taking top bunk. He listens to a lot of music, mostly the same few songs he likes on repeat. What stands out about him is how focused he is. He wakes up early to a bible passage or some kind of inspirational/positive text from his mom. He's good at basketball (had offers from most colleges when we were in school in addition to football). He's also a cool dude…..the kind of guy who can get along with anyone. I was easily the smallest guy on our team (d1 kicker but still real small compared to those guys)…he would kick it with me and ask me questions and make jokes. Great sense of humor but definitely flips the switch when he puts pads on. Coples is a funny, focused, talented guy who is down to earth and can get along with everyone. He was good at getting guys involved in fun things and pick up games. Great teammate, roommate, and friend.
    Wilkerson was pretty quiet. Not at all someone I would want to line up across from. Nothing got under his skin ever. He wasn't highly recruited. He's real humble. Liked to watch a lot of funny movies & was a beast in the weight room. I'm not a jets fan but I was pumped when they drafted him because I knew they were getting a great player.
    Pretty general descriptions haha if there's something I can be more specific on let me know."

[–]JetsSpritecheat14 10 points 7 hours ago
    Who's your favorite rookie on the team? Also, any early Super Bowl Predictions (Other than the Jets, of course)?
    permalinksavereportgive goldreply

[–]David Nelson - WRDavidNelson86[S] 10 points 3 hours ago
    I like the way Dex came in and worked as soon as he was cleared to practice.
    I don't make SB predictions.. Not this early anyway!

Love Nelson. Hope he has a great year. Couldn't ask more from a player in terms of attitude and preparation. Maybe (hope) Hill will surpass him, but otherwise think he will be good (have to be realistic) starting on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    What about Michael Vick? Isn't he a better QB on paper than Geno and has more experience? I'm surprised the vets aren't giving Vick a lot more love.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Nice read, thx!

I was easily the smallest guy on our team (d1 kicker but still real small compared to those guys)
    Nelson's saying he was the kicker as well in college?

Hadn't known that

Anyone Know if that's true or am I misreading this quote?

Thx
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 07-15-2014 at 07:47 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Nice read, thx!

Nelson's saying he was the kicker as well in college?

Hadn't known that

Anyone Know if that's true or am I misreading this quote?

Thx
    That wasn't Nelson answering that question, it was actually a random guy who was the roommate of Coples in Hargrove Military Academy (he also knew Mo Wilkerson from his time there). Since there were so many Jets fans in the session, he decided to tell people a little bit about what Coples was like off the field when they roomed together. That guy is actually a Giants fan but obviously still follows what happens with Mo and QC.

All League
    I thought this was interesting as well since I know, as fans, many people on this board get irate regarding the negative media so here is Nelson's perspective:

Okay so, the Jets are consistently a scapegoat for the media. When they have nothing to talk about they find it fun to **** on the Jets. More educated fans can see this for what it is and mostly ignore it, but what's the impact of it on the players?
    Do you ever wake up one morning, turn the TV on and think "Oh, look, the talking heads are insulting the Jets again, this'll be a fun day."? Or do you, as a player, just ignore the media in general?

[–]David Nelson - WRDavidNelson86 [S] 123 points 12 hours ago
    We try to ignore it, but any player who says he doesn't pay attention to it either doesn't own any electronic device, or is making it up!
    We see it.. we hear it.. For most of us, it adds fuel to the fire. As a competitor, you are always looking for that competitive fuel, and the media seems to create a lot of it for us.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Ahhhh, ... The mist clears ... Appreciate that