Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geno - Mechanics and Areas of Improvement

Geno - Mechanics and Areas of Improvement

Saw a pretty good article on Geno and what he needs to work on to take the next step as a QB in 2014 (link below)

Everyone knows that Jets QB Geno Smith needs to improve. Whether you ask an NFL ‘analyst’ and are told that Smith played atrocious in 2013, or ask a knowledgable fan who says he played poor, but rookie-esque; the point is, Smith needs to get better if he is to remain as Gang Green’s captain.
    But how and in what key areas Smith needs to improve, should be at the core of the discussion.

Anticipation

Here, we see Geno Smith attempt to make a play out of a sack, which is almost always a poor decision. (Getty Images)
    One of the fundamental flaws in most rookie players, regardless of position, is a lack of anticipation. A wide receiver may have to make a snap decision on an option route based on coverage. A quarterback has to anticipate where that receiver will find a soft spot in coverage and throw the ball before the receiver even ends up in that location.

Anticipation is by definition preparing for and, at times, expecting something to happen.
    As it relates to Smith, his ability to throw receivers open or feel pressure coming in his direction, lacked in 2013 compared to the NFL’s average. Behind sometimes worrisome offensive line play, Smith’s natural fight or flight thinking caused him to either release the ball to early (before facing real pressure) or hold onto the ball seconds too long (causing sacks and other snap decisions.)
    Smith ended the season t-5th in sacks (43) and 4th in INTs (21).
    Anticipation issues are fixable over time, but it should be noted that these, for the most part, are less about the talent level surrounding him and more about his own football IQ. As Smith becomes more familiar with the defenses he faces, his own offensive playbook, and when the ‘speed of the game’ mentally slows down for him, he should, in theory, improve.
    Smith can immediately help his cause by trusting himself, even while playing through some rough patches. Per Pro Football Focus, Smith led the league in throw-aways (26). Had he been able to convert some of those throw-aways into plays, we may have a slightly different impression of Smith’s rookie season.

Accuracy

For Geno Smith, he could stand to learn a lot about moving targets and the ability to land a ball into a receiver’s hands that not only creates a play, but allows the receiver to do something with his legs.

Smith’s deep ball accuracy ranked among the top-5 quarterbacks in the league. But numbers do lie, ESPN.
    With the long-ball comes less of a need for a receiver to add on yards after catch. See, the New York Jets ranked 31st in the NFL in total YAC (SportingCharts.com). As a run-first and defensive team, the New York Jets do not require Smith to lead the league in passing attempts, but they do require big plays that aren’t always available on-the-ground. This being the case, the Jets’ per reception YAC of 5.26, placing the team 22nd in the NFL, isn’t quite as worrisome, but is still not efficient enough.

It is Smith’s ball location that often forced receivers to fall victim to initial tacklers.
    While every player has different mannerisms and techniques, I personally believe Smith could benefit his accuracy with a different approach to holding onto the ball. To illustrate, below is an image to compare Smith’s pre-throw ball positioning, with that of premier QBs in the league.

Notice here that Smith is the odd man out in terms of holding the football, as he readies to attempt a pass. His awkward ball positioning is the same reason that we perhaps don’t see Tim Tebow currently in the NFL. The extra time needed to flip the ball around to make a pass can often be too long.
    Drew Brees, one of the smaller QBs in the NFL at 6’0″, benefits by possessing an above-average hand size (for his height) of 10.25 inches. Smith, at 6’2″, possesses a below-average hand size of 9.28 inches. While genetics cannot be ‘fixed’, this may be one of the reasons that Smith grips the ball in the manner of which he does. Still, I believe he’d be better off following the example of his successful peers.
    Leadership

My final note for Smith is more of an aside, as there is no one way to be a leader and it is not always something that can be just ‘created’. Leadership comes from within, from experience, and from example; there’s no guidebook of what is necessarily right.
    Geno Smith was a quiet, but self-assured leader in 2013. His confidence seemed sincere, and his teammates, while transitioning from a previous QB’s era, seemed to appreciate his efforts.

However, it never appeared like Smith commanded the huddle. He didn’t rally the troops when the team was losing a game. His late-game heroics are dully noted, but there seemingly was more of a focus on blossoming talent than inspiration. Everything about Smith’s 2013 leadership seemed portrayed in a ‘well he’s the quarterback, so he’s the guy we follow’ mentality.
    In an NFL locker room, leadership is almost always earned, but Smith’s was given in many ways, due to circumstance — a new GM and new direction for the team.

This season, Smith can prove that he’s matured enough to step into the role of a sustainable leader — one who earns his keep by actions on and off the field, and not just by circumstance. That comes, first, by Smith proving himself the better QB in training camp competition with Michael Vick, and not just because he’s given the title of starter. He needs to continue to demonstrate to his teammates that his talent is still developing, and that he intends to be with the New York Jets for the long haul.

http://onejetatatime.com/2014/geno-s...e-but-how.html

But the picture the author imbedded struck me as spot on. Take a look below - that is a huge difference that will impact accuracy and more importantly release speed that I truly hope MM and Lee are working on with him. Geno has a strong arm, especially considering his hand size, so there really is no need for him to have a longer windup. Hopefully this will improve as he gets better coaching.

Arm.jpg

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Smith ended the season t-5th in sacks (43) and 4th in INTs (21).
    Anticipation issues are fixable over time, but it should be noted that these, for the most part, are less about the talent level surrounding him and more about his own football IQ.

Smith’s deep ball accuracy ranked among the top-5 quarterbacks in the league. But numbers do lie
    The numbers are telling when they annotate poor performance but when they show something positive they lie.

O.K. got it.

Yes, Geno's rookie season was up and down.

That being said, there were some aspects of Geno's game where he performed well.

Geno had 72 rushing attempts for 366 yds (5.1 yd per rush avg) and 6 rushing TD's - tied with Cam Newton for the most rushing TD's by a QB in the league last season.

To give you a little more perspective, Powell & Ivory only had 4 rushing TD's combined in 2013.

Geno accounted for 3,410 yds of total offense 18 TD's & 21 INT's. (TD to INT ratio definitely needs to improve)

He had 5 game winning drives in the 4th quarter or overtime.

He is the only quarterback since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger with four game winning drives in the fourth quarter or overtime in his first seven games as a rookie.

He was the first Jets rookie quarterback in franchise history to throw for 300 yards or more in a game.

Geno also set the franchise record for most passing yards & highest completion percentage in a single season by a rookie quarterback.

Yes, Geno has plenty of room to improve, but w
    hen I read an article like this that tries to portray everything in a negative light, it doesn't have any credibility in my eyes.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-17-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    The numbers are telling when they annotate poor performance but when they show something positive they lie.

O.K. got it.

That being said, there were some aspects of Geno's game where he performed well.

Geno had 72 rushing attempts for 366 yds (5.1 yd per rush avg) and 6 rushing TD's - more rushing TD's then any QB in the league last season.

To give you a little more perspective, Powell & Ivory only had 4 rushing TD's combined last season.

Geno accounted for 3,410 yds of total offense 18 TD's & 21 INT's. (TD to INT ratio definitely needs to improve)

Geno Smith had 5 game winning drives in the 4th quarter or overtime in his rookie campaign.

He is the only quarterback since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger with four game winning drives in the fourth quarter or overtime in his first seven games as arookie.

He was the first Jets rookie quarterback in franchise history to throw for 300 yards or more in a game.

Geno also set the franchise record for most passing yards & highest completion percentage in a single season by a rookie quarterback.

hen I read an article like this that tries to portray everything in a negative light, it doesn't have any credibility in my eyes.
    Im not sure how you see that article as negative. Im a pro-Geno guy and I felt that was a pretty well-balanced, intelligent article that pointed out obvious areas of improvement.

If someone wrote an article that russel wilson should improve his follow-through to improve velocity on his "out pattern throws" - that doesnt mean he sucks. It just means he has areas to improve like all young players.

Sheldon Richardson probably had 5+ areas to work on this offseason - is writing about those areas negative? Thats better then annointing him a HOF isnt it?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Im not sure how you see that article as negative.
    Smith’s deep ball accuracy ranked among the top-5 quarterbacks in the league. But numbers do lie
    I don't see how you can't view that as negative when in one breath the numbers show Geno was top 5 in a particular performance area and then in the next breath say that the numbers do lie.

I guess its just me.

Man, looking at those screenshots I didn't realize his throwing motion was that poor. He needs to learn to tuck the elbow in and bring the ball to the side in order to hasten his release and improve overall accuracy. That's almost Tebow-bad.

There's some dishonesty in the approach taken by the author:

1, When Geno is sacked or throws an INT, the author says it's all on Geno. The author acknowledges some OL issues but then says it's really on Geno.

2. When Geno puts up a big throw, it's really because the team sucks at YAC. The author makes an incomplete argument that the terrible YAC is Geno's fault but never gets back around to why YAC has anything to do with his long range accuracy. It's just dismissed. The slight on Geno's long range accuracy had nothing to do with the YAC issue, it just seemed to be a way to take a free swipe.

No doubt Geno has a lot to work on and I'm not sold that he is our QB into the future but the writing is sloppy and biased.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monster View Post
    Man, looking at those screenshots I didn't realize his throwing motion was that poor. He needs to learn to tuck the elbow in and bring the ball to the side in order to hasten his release and improve overall accuracy. That's almost Tebow-bad.
    Again this article is very misleading, that's one image - I can show you numerous images where his throwing motion is fine:

Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-17-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Again this article is very misleading, that's one image - I can show you numerous images where his throwing motion is fine:

Yes the author's images need to be taken with context - but so do yours.

For example - image #3 looks ok at first glance, but that is a long stride and long arm motion (again - i am a Geno supporter)
    Image 6 better be a bomb, because anything else and his motion is horrible

Image 1 is the best - looks compact

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yes the author's images need to be taken with context - but so do yours.

For example - image #3 looks ok at first glance, but that is a long stride and long arm motion (again - i am a Geno supporter)
    Image 6 better be a bomb, because anything else and his motion is horrible

Image 1 is the best - looks compact
    I am by no means a QB expert, but, they all look o.k. to me.

I am sure there are variables that come into play that we can't account for - such as the amount of time in the pocket he has to throw, the actual distance he is trying to throw the ball and what point is he really at in his throwing motion when the pictures are taken.

At the very least, the pics I posted are significantly better then the picture that was included in your article, which made it appear as if Geno throws the ball that way all the time.

Clearly, that is not the case, which is the point I was making.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-17-2014 at 01:18 PM.

I am by no means a QB expert, but, they all look o.k. to me.

I am sure there are variables that come into play that we can't account for - such as the amount of time in the pocket he has to throw, the actual distance he is trying to throw the ball and what point is he really at in his throwing motion when the pictures are taken.

At the very least, the pics I posted are significantly better then the picture that was included in your article, which made it appear as if Geno throws the ball that way all the time.

Clearly, that is not the case, which is the point I was making.
    Totally agree - lot of variables here and the authors one pic was prob used to make his point more then anything.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Totally agree - lot of variables here and the authors one pic was prob used to make his point more then anything.
    That being said, I am quite sure I can find pics of Brady, Brees & Rodgers where their throwing motions aren't perfect either.

Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-17-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-17-2014 at 06:21 PM.

I really think you are grossly missing the point.

Please look at the pictures again - in EVERY SINGLE PICTURE, Brady, Brees and Rogers have their hand behind the ball. In the Geno pic he has it over the top, which means he needs to turn his hand and the ball over to throw.

The pics you posted of rogers in particular show how compact he is throwing the ball - which is the exact point that Geno doesnt do that.

This is not an indictment of Geno's future, the QB he can be or anything else negative - he has an elongated motion that needs to be cleaned up - thats a fact going back to his draft evaluations. All you are doing with your pics is showing how true that evaluation is.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I really think you are grossly missing the point.

Please look at the pictures again - in EVERY SINGLE PICTURE, Brady, Brees and Rogers have their hand behind the ball. In the Geno pic he has it over the top, which means he needs to turn his hand and the ball over to throw.

The pics you posted of rogers in particular show how compact he is throwing the ball - which is the exact point that Geno doesnt do that.

This is not an indictment of Geno's future, the QB he can be or anything else negative - he has an elongated motion that needs to be cleaned up - thats a fact going back to his draft evaluations. All you are doing with your pics is showing how true that evaluation is.
    And yet Smith’s deep ball accuracy ranked among the top-5 quarterbacks in the league.

And yet Smith’s deep ball accuracy ranked among the top-5 quarterbacks in the league.

Yet again - not a Geno detractor, but im also not 11 years old.

Top 5 in deep ball accuracy - ok. Then do you know how bad he would need to have been in short and intermediate accuracy to have a total completion % of 55%? Its just math.

Top 5 in deep ball accuracy - ok. Then do you know how bad he would need to have been in short and intermediate accuracy to have a total completion % of 55%? Its just math.
    Dude, he doesn't want to hear anything other than "Geno is perfect as is". Just don't bother.

Jets Insider VIP

O.K. got it.

Geno had 72 rushing attempts for 366 yds (5.1 yd per rush avg) and 6 rushing TD's - tied with Cam Newton for the most rushing TD's by a QB in the league last season.

To give you a little more perspective, Powell & Ivory only had 4 rushing TD's combined in 2013.

He had 5 game winning drives in the 4th quarter or overtime.

He is the only quarterback since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger with four game winning drives in the fourth quarter or overtime in his first seven games as a rookie.

I love what you wrote and just want to add: Geno is only one of 13 rookie QBs to ever throw for over 3000 yards. I also fume at all the negative nonsense this kid has endured since he was rushed into being our starting QB. I read more garbage about Geno on this board then anywhere though.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Truth be told, I'd be willing to bet I have some years on you.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Dude, he doesn't want to hear anything other than "Geno is perfect as is
    Yep, some quotes from my initial post in this thread clearly shows that.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan

The difference is I believe Geno's flaws are more based on his lack of NFL experience / 1st year in MM's offense / 1st year of reading NFL defenses, then they are on his mechanics/throwing motion.

I am sure his mechanics could be tweaked, but, I don't believe that was the root cause of his struggles last season.

The last 5 games of the 2013 season, I believe the game started to slow down for Geno and it showed in his performance.

I think he will carry that progress into this season and build on it.

Whether Geno does that, or not, remains to be seen but I have confidence in him.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-17-2014 at 03:45 PM.

I'd be willing to bet I have some years on you.

Yep, some quotes from my initial post in this thread clearly shows that.
    Your resistance to any suggestion that Geno needs to improve says otherwise. You keep trying to make excuses while OP isn't, and you seem resistant to that.