Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged Kerwood Vol. III ~~~```^^^

Hall Of Fame

Cool Merged Kerwood Vol. III ~~~```^^^

Idzik's honeymoon over with Jets

Rex Ryan showed his new boss last season that, even when speaking softly, he still carried a big enough stick to squeeze eight wins out of a team with modest talent. The New York Jets' coach received a well-deserved contract extension.

Now, with the Jets reporting to training camp Wednesday in upstate Cortland, New York, for Year 2 of the Ryan-John Idzik era, we start to learn a lot more about the other half of the leadership tandem, the quiet man who prefers to stay out of the spotlight.

This is Idzik's time.

Dee Milliner is one of John Idzik's draft picks that needs to produce for the Jets.It's impossible to evaluate a general manager after one season, especially in a rebuilding situation, but the landscape changes after two drafts and two rounds of free agency. In the NFL, thatís enough time to get a team from the 6-10 mess that Idzik inherited into the playoffs.

Idzik's predecessors, Terry Bradway in 2001 and Mike Tannenbaum in 2006, reached the postseason in their first season as GM. Go back further, and you will remember that Bill Parcells made it to the AFC Championship Game in his second year as the GM/coach.Even though Idzik is operating on a long-term plan, evidenced by his emphasis on the draft and his deliberate approach in free agency, an 0-for-2 start wouldn't look good on his rťsumť. He shouldn't be on the New York Mets' Sandy Alderson timeline, meaning he has to move faster than a glacier. It's just the way of the NFL.

Idzik has been around long enough to put his stamp on the team. He signed, re-signed and drafted most of the projected starters. In fact, only seven starters can be considered true holdovers from the previous administration -- D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Muhammad Wilkerson, David Harris, Damon Harrison, Quinton Coples and Demario Davis.It's easy to notice they're the best guys on the team, Tannenbaum guys. Idzik needs to get some of his guys on that list. He already has Sheldon Richardson. By the end of the season, the list of top homegrowns should also include Geno Smith, Dee Milliner and Calvin Pryor. If Smith and Milliner are missing, the Jets will miss the playoffs for the fourth straight season, which wonít bode well for Ryan's job security.

Idzik has the Jets pointed in the right direction, and the strides they made last season can't be dismissed. But let's be honest: They overachieved. They were one of the softest 8-8 teams in history, and you can look it up. Their point differential was minus-97, the largest since the 1970 merger for any team with at least eight wins.The talent base should be improved this season, especially with the additions of Eric Decker and Chris Johnson. Decker was Idzik's one big splurge in free agency, his one Tannenbaum-like move. Johnson and Michael Vick will be one-and-done players, worthwhile Band-Aids that won't ruin the master plan if they fizzle. The offseason proved, once again, that Idzik won't deviate from his script no matter how much salary-cap room he has at his disposal. For the record, there's about $22 million as of today.

Idzik is doing it the right way, avoiding the temptation of the quick fix. That will pay off in the long run, but there will be problems along the way. For instance: Failing to sign a top cornerback in free agency was a mistake that could be exposed early in the season, when they face several elite quarterbacks. The cornerback issue will be exacerbated if Milliner fails to develop as hoped.The Jets believe Milliner, drafted ninth overall, will be a special player, basing much of their opinion on his strong finish. The same theory can be applied to the quarterback situation with Smith. They're placing a lot of weight on those last four games, and that can be dangerous when you consider the competition. They beat three also-rans, three teams with mediocre (at best) quarterbacks -- the Oakland Raiders, Cleveland Browns and Miami Dolphins.

Now, after seven months of positive mojo, the Jets can prove it wasn't a mirage. If Idzik's investments mirror the stock market, they'll be a playoff team. If it goes the other way, he'll hear the criticism, good and loud. The honeymoon is over. This is Idzik's time.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ime-to-deliver

Hall Of Fame
    fo stuff...

Darrelle Revis. Remember him? Cornerback. Played a few seasons with the Jets. Arguably the best at his position in the NFL. Forced a trade to the Bucs in April 2013. Became available again this spring. Signed with the rival Patriots.

You know, that dude.

At Patriots camp in Foxborough, Mass., on Friday, Revis told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News he had a chance back in March to return to the Jets in the hectic hours after the Bucs released him.

This isn't exactly anything new. Head coach Rex Ryan certainly wanted Revis back. But the Jets' higher-ups ultimately decided not to engage in any serious negotiations, and Revis signed a deal with the Pats that, per overthecap.com, will pay him $11.5 million in guaranteed money this season.

"You know, that was a possibility," Revis said of reuniting with the Jets, per Myers. Revis also added he "wasn't disappointed" that he and the Jets couldn't again find common ground. Here's more of what Revis told Myers:

"It really doesn't matter. It's an organization. They are going to run it how they want to run it and choose who they want to choose. There's no hard feelings. You got to move on."

Asked about his feelings toward the Jets now that he plays for a team that's supposed to hate them, Revis didn't bite.

"I know it's a rivalry. My focus is to just go out there and play," he said. "I'm not trying to get back at anybody. It is what it is. New York was great to me during the time I was there. You got to move on. Tampa was great for me when I was in Tampa for the year. Now New England is being great to me as well."

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...er_report.html

Hall Of Fame
    ~ ~ General manager John Idzik, trying to downplay the perception that Geno Smith is the presumed starter because he received 75 percent of the first-team reps in the first two practices, said the rep distribution will fluctuate throughout camp. We'll be counting, to be sure. It'll also be interesting to see if Smith can make it through practice without a turnover. He threw an interception Friday, and the last thing you want to see is him going consecutive days with interceptions.

rest of above article :
    > http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-up-call-day-3

Hall Of Fame
    General manager John Idzik is entering his second year in his role with the team. Itís year number two of John putting the guys in the Green and White for Rex and the gang to coach. One area he is particularly interested in, just like the rest of us, is the quarterback position.

Although we all know about the differentiation in the snaps, Idzik defends the competition as even:

Competition is not only about quantifying reps. Reps can ebb and flow. I think you saw that last summer, too. You may switch up the workload from early in the week to late in the week. A lot of that is just letís let this thing transpire. Letís see what happens, how Geno, how Mike, how Matt (Simms), how Tajh (Boyd), how they respond. There will be a little bit of fluctuation in reps. Going into camp, we feel like weíre going to give the lionís share to Geno and weíll see how he responds and so far heís responded very well. Some of that, too, is Mike being a vet. And again, heís familiar with (offensive coordinator) Marty (Mornhinweg), heís familiar with our system, heís been there, done that to a certain degree, (but) not with our guys. Heís an experienced veteran. I think that plays into it as well. Last year with the new offensive coordinator, (there was) a lot of newness, me included. I think it was a little different.

When the issue was pushed, here is what Idzik had to say:

Again, competition is not just about counting reps. They just got off of a conditioning drill. (Competition is) pressing each other in the conditioning drill. They go from a conditioning drill, take one of those nice little carts and go lift weights. Itís pressing each other when lifting weights. There will be an ebb and flow. I donít think itís tilted at all. In anything we do, youíre there to make yourself better and make your teammates better. Thatís our mantra. Thatís how we define competition. In anything, if you have 25 percent of the reps, you have two snaps, three snaps, nine snaps (or) 15 Ė you need to be prepared that those two, three, nine (or) 15 are the best. If youíre not taking this rep and your teammate is, how can I help my teammate on that rep? Thatís our mindset. Itís not just purely quantifiable like that and reading the play time or the reps and drawing assumptions from that.

Of course, this is what we expect Idzik to say. There is no reason to be annoyed by the fact that he insists the competition is even. At this juncture of training camp, there is no way Idzik was going to say anything else. But, we know differently. When the reps are divided that dramatically, it is clear evidence that Geno is in the lead.

Idzik will learn that Jetsí fans are smarter than that.

> http://thejetpress.com/2014/07/26/jo...k-competition/

Why are you still making threads with articles that no one cares about? Don't you already have a thread dedicated to this crap or have you given up on that one too?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    Why are you still making threads with articles that no one cares about? Don't you already have a thread dedicated to this crap or have you given up on that one too?
    freshprince_ooooh.gif

Hall Of Fame
    why don't You just put me ( " kelly " ) on Your " ignore list "... Seriously.

cheers ~ ~

i liked these articles.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    why don't You just put me ( " kelly " ) on Your " ignore list "... Seriously.

cheers ~ ~
    If it were only that easy, but your threads still show up.

Why don't you just take the hints given to you by the mods (and everyone else giving your threads one star ratings) when they merged your threads (not just once, but multiple times now) and just keep posting in that thread?

~~~~~~~``cheers to you too```~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by docdhc View Post
    i liked these articles.
    I'm not suggesting he/she stop posting articles. I'm suggesting he/she posts in one of the few threads already dedicated strictly to kelly articles as the mods have already designed for him/her.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/th...d-Kelvy-vol-II

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/th...ly-Kelly-Kelly
    Last edited by Frank Reynolds; 07-28-2014 at 02:39 PM.

To Kelly:

You should do a mock draft for the 1st 3 rounds assuming the signing of Revis to see how your picks would perform against Idzick's. I know it can get hard waiting for Idzick's strategy to come full circle, with Geno and Milliner still waiting to show if they were worthwhile choices, but our new GM does deserve another season to prove his skill in talent evaluation. The good news is that if it doesn't workout this year, the Jets will have a lot of cap space to plug those holes.

I will say this. I do wish we had drafted a WR in the 1st 3 rounds and signing Revis would have made that doable. But I am willing to support Idzick's efforts and hope that at least one of his picks turns out to be a stud.

It is likely Woody refused to consider Revis. Idzik was probably smart enough to skip even asking.

The honeymoon is over. Journalists use the statement to imply that John is now in trouble. But really, it will take a couple of years to know how good (or not) he is. His first draft class appears to have been pretty good. We don't know enough about this year's.

We are just going to have to show a little patience to find out. Something that we fans aren't very good at.

I don't get the hatred. It's better than that EmDiggy crap about how we're revolutionizing the QB position!

Hall Of Fame
    I'm not suggesting he/she stop posting articles. I'm suggesting he/she posts in one of the few threads already dedicated strictly to kelly articles as the mods have already designed for him/her.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/th...d-Kelvy-vol-II

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/th...ly-Kelly-Kelly
    Dear Frank Reynolds,

thank you for your suggestion.

cheers !
    kelly ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    fo / contract info. :

~ ~ Babin's contract : Good deal for Jets

The New York Jets had plenty of salary-cap space before signing Jason Babin, and they still have plenty of room now that he's on the team. They landed the free-agent pass-rusher with a relatively modest two-year, $3.2 million contract that includes no guaranteed money, according to ESPN Stats & Information -- a good deal for the Jets. (Note: He pocketed a $500,000 signing bonus from the Jacksonville Jaguars, who cut him last month.)

Here's the breakdown :

Base salary : $1.1 million

Roster bonus : $500,000 ($31,250 per game)

Cap figure : $1.725 million

Option bonus : $250,000

Base salary : $1.35 million

Cap figure : $1.475 million

Note : The Jets must make a decision on whether to pick up the 2015 option by the end of the 2014 league year.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...9/babins-contr

Hall Of Fame
    Former Maryland offensive tackle Bruce Campbell needed to find a home to stay in the NFL.

Campbell did just that as he inked a deal with the New York Jets on Tuesday.

The former Terrapin was selected in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Oakland Raiders. Following his stint with the Raiders, Campbell landed with the Carolina Panthers in 2012 after he was traded to the Panthers for running back Mike Goodson. He was waived last season, and didnít play in any games.

Campbell has played in 19 games in the NFL with zero starts.

The former Terp was a highly regarded prospect coming out of college. Campbell ran a 4.75 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine in 2010.

In 2008, Campbell played in all 13 games, and helped pave the way for running back DaíRel Scott to reach the 1,000-yard plateau. He also was named the ACC Lineman of the Week in Week 7 of that season.

Aside from DíBrickashaw Ferguson, the Jets donít have a ton of talent to protect the likes of Geno Smith and Michael Vick. Itíll be an interesting storyline to follow during the preseason with former Terp cornerback Dexter McDougle also being a Jet.

> http://terrapinstationmd.com/2014/08...ll-signs-jets/

Hall Of Fame
    ~ ~ This is how a longtime AFC personnel director responded Monday when told the Jets had moved safety Antonio Allen to cornerback: "Wow." Yeah, it's a surprise alright, but the Jets are desperate after losing Dee Milliner (ankle) for a few weeks and Dexter McDougle (knee) for the rest of the season. The Jets believe Allen has some cornerback traits in his skill set -- they like his 6-foot-1 frame and aggressive attitude -- but this is a Hail Mary. If they like his potential so much, why didn't they try this sooner? This smacks of GM John Idzik, a former Seattle Seahawks executive, trying to copycat the size of the Seattle corners. Naturally, Rex Ryan did a nice job of selling it, saying Allen has progressed "a million miles" since they drafted him in the seventh round in 2012. Allen showed last season he can cover athletic tight ends in man-to-man situation, but it's a different world on the boundary, facing receivers that run sub-4.4s in the 40. Gut feeling: The Allen experiment doesn't work out and they sign a veteran.

rest of above article :
    > http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-report-day-19

Hall Of Fame
    The New York Jets were in damage control Monday, covering their butts after failing to properly address the cornerback situation in the offseason.

There was general manager John Idzik, telling reporters, "We have no regrets whatsoever" -- his response to a question about whether he second-guesses the conservative approach in free agency.The loss of Dexter McDougle for the season has put the Jets in a tough spot at cornerback.There was coach Rex Ryan, claiming, "This defense will be an outstanding defense" -- on a day in which he lined up a converted safety (Antonio Allen) and a special-teams ace (Ellis Lankster) as his starting corners.

The Jets are in this predicament because No. 1 corner Dee Milliner suffered a severe ankle sprain Sunday and will be lost for a few weeks and because rookie Dexter McDougle wrecked his knee and will have season-ending surgery. There's a chance Milliner could be back for the season opener, but he'll need several weeks before he's on top of his game -- and that's if there are no setbacks.

They'd be in better shape if Idzik had signed one of the top-tier cornerbacks in free agency, but he ...

Failed to re-sign Antonio Cromartie after cutting him and saying they'd welcome him back.

Failed to sign free agent Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie despite having him in the building on a visit.

Refused to make a play for Darrelle Revis even though Revis was interested in a return.

Passed on man-to-man corner Darqueze Dennard in the first round of the draft, opting for safety Calvin Pryor.

Despite having close to $30 million in cap room, the Jets settled for the injury-prone Dimitri Patterson, signing him to a one-year, $3 million contract. Now he's injured. An opposing scout, commenting Monday on Patterson, said: "The problem I had with him -- aside from his injury history -- was the scheme fit. If you're a press-man team, he's really not that type of player -- or personality. Now, as a nickel, maybe."

The Jets drafted McDougle in the third round, hoping he'd be able to contribute immediately even though he missed most of his senior year with a shoulder injury. Now he's done. It sure looks like they're paying for taking the cheap route in free agency."I don't think immediate spending translates into winning," Idzik said. "I think responsible spending translates into sustainable winning. That's what we're about." (To be fair, Idzik didn't seek out the media to plead his case; he spoke to reporters after multiple interview requests.)

Naturally, Ryan echoed that sentiment, even though I have a strong hunch he would've surrendered a week's salary to land Revis.

"If you had an uncapped (system) and could spend like the Yankees ... trust me, we'd have an all-star team," Ryan said. "Our owner would say, 'All right, let's go for it.' But you have fiscal responsibilities. When you're looking at the big picture, it's not just a one-year or a one-shot deal. We want to have sustainable success and build it that way."

The Jets are trying to be patient. This is the longest practice week of the year -- six padded practices -- and they want to use the unusually long stretch to evaluate the players on campus -- mainly Allen, Lankster, Darrin Walls and Ras-I Dowling. There's also Kyle Wilson, but they want to leave him in the slot. Ditto, Johnny Patrick. Idzik said he was "comfortable" with his depth at the start of camp.

"We're going to let this thing kind of play out this summer and see how it goes," he said. "So, I guess, the silver lining is we've got enough time in camp to do that."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...n-cb-situation

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by docdhc View Post
    i liked these articles.
    thank you docdhc !

cheers ~ ~