Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged Kerwood Vol. III ~~~```^^^

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    One is beginning the end of his career the other starting his, one has 2 rings the other none, there is nothing to compare.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    Not that I care about Manning but I don't recall an offense looking that bad during an install...
    Tony Sparano

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Tony Sparano
    THAT's it !

Hall Of Fame
    Commentary
    Geno Smith is Rex Ryan's mulligan
    The Mark Sanchez experiment ended in disaster, so Rex has reversed course

-- Geno Smith is going to be the New York Jets' starting quarterback when the regular season arrives, unless he goes out and injures himself in Friday's preseason game against the New York Giants that seems to be growing in hype by the minute because of each team's concerns. But there's no need to play along with the silly charade that anything else is up.

Even Michael Vick grew a little tired of it Wednesday when reporters descended on his locker and started asking questions as if he had a realistic chance of being anything other than Smith's backup when opening day arrives. Vick finally said, "I thought we already settled this. ... Where are these questions coming from?"

The answer precedes the arrival of Smith or Vick with the Jets.

Geno Smith's real challenge is to take the Jets to the playoffs, not beat Eli Manning in a preseason game.

It's happening this way because Smith is Rex Ryan's mulligan as a head coach.

Smith is Ryan's second chance to develop the first-rate franchise quarterback the Jets thought they were drafting when they moved up to get Mark Sanchez. If you remember, Ryan even joked with Sanchez about it back then, pointing out they were both rookies at their new jobs and that if Sanchez didn't turn into the quarterback he was supposed to be, they'd both be gone.

As it turned out, only Sanchez is. Rex has so far avoided the axe. But everything Rex was told from inside and outside his own locker room that he didn't do with Sanchez -- such as bring in a backup more threatening than Mark Brunnell, or make Sanchez feel he had to earn the job rather than having it handed to him -- is now in play for Smith and Vick.

Asked if the delay in saying this was Smith's team might mess with either player's mind, or hurt or delay their ability to lead the locker room, Jets' veteran offensive guard Willie Colon wagged his head no Wednesday and said, "I think Mike has already said over and over that he's here to help and support Geno."

And Smith?

"I just have to continue to stay in the moment, work day by day," he said.

There's been so much talk about how much more self-assured Smith in this second pro season of his compared to his first, it almost seems sometimes as if the bar beyond that isn't being set high enough for him.

The snowballing talk this week about who ever thought Eli Manning would be the one with something to prove, not Smith, because of Manning's struggles with the Giants' new West Coast offense, is another storyline to forget. Manning does need to play better. And fast. But if Smith outplays him Friday, it won't make Smith the best quarterback in New York. He's got a long way to go to eclipse Eli. And it's not going to happen in a year.

The real measuring stick is for Smith to keep improving and play well enough to led the Jets to the playoffs. It's for Smith to be able to put up enough points so the Jets and their questionable cornerback situation can hold up against a schedule that will throw a Who's Who of NFL quarterbacks at them. Wednesday, he spoke about how so many things feel "a lot more natural" to him.

"I think it's a result of knowing my reads a lot better and understanding defenses and ways to get in and out of the pocket a lot better," he said. "I'm seeing things a lot better as well. My vision is really good right now. So I've just got to keep that up. Continue to make smart plays. Take it if it's there. And if the pass is not there, pull it down and gain some yards for us."

Another important thing to watch for Friday will be whether the Jets continue to show the effective multi-back running attack they'll need to make Smith's job easier -- especially since the Jets' wide receiver position was so much flux even before a few role players got hurt. After No. 1 receiver Eric Decker, Smith can rely on, well, who? Who is the Jets' other starting wideout?

Is it scatback-sized Jeremy Kerley, who seems better suited for the slot? Or oft-injured and perennially disappointing Stephen Hill, the former second-round pick whom general manager John Idzik complimented on WFAN radio Wednesday for his good, um, blocking?

"He's not a pulling guard, he's a wide receiver," show co-host Boomer Esiason shot back. God bless him.

Smith seems to know all this. And yet he doesn't get sidetracked by angst or silly subplots himself. He seems to have his emphases in exactly all the right places.

Decker, who has talked in recent days about how he "researched" how Smith played as a rookie before leaving Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos as a free agent over the winter, said Smith has been what he hoped he would be.

"I think a big thing I looked at is you want to know that physically a quarterback is capable of doing big things, and I definitely saw a lot of that in Geno last year," Decker said. "But even more than that, for me, it's the personality. At this level, that's what separates players, and that's what separates the good from the great.

"The adversity that sometimes you face out there, the adversity you face when you lose, the way he carried himself, the way he was confident in his demeanor -- I looked at that [about Smith] and I guess my intuition, my instincts, said, 'OK, this guy gets it. This guy wants to be good. He wants to be great.' And he's not shying away from the pressure. Or his mistakes. Geno is taking command of the huddle. He's taking command of the room. He's definitely stepping up as the quarterback."

Has Smith asked him a lot about Peyton?

"Oh yeah, right away -- that was another thing that impressed me," Decker said. "Geno was like, 'We need to sit down and you need to talk to me about what made Peyton so good. What did he do to separate himself?'"

When you think about it, that's is a far better focus for Smith than smaller battles like how he does against Peyton's brother Eli on Friday in a goofy preseason game nicknamed the Snoopy Bowl.

Smith said he does look at this game as a fun chance for one team to grab bragging rights over the other. When asked what he remembers about his own play last season, Smith smiled a little and was unsparing about himself: "Tough one, man. I had a tough outing. I can remember them throwing a lot of blitzes at me. They had a rookie quarterback. They sent a lot of different disguises and looks at me, and I had a tough one."

Then he added this: "I look forward to this game and seeing how much I've improved since."

Ryan could have wound up with a worse mulligan as his No. 1 quarterback than Smith.

Even if he still won't officially call Smith that yet.

> http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-ryan-mulligan

Hall Of Fame
    'Words Can't Describe' Pryor's Excitement
    Jets Rookie Safety Admits he Will Have Butterflies on Friday Evening at the Met

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/vi...4-aabba310f507

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets trotted out a couple intriguing new members of their secondary in Saturday night’s second preseason game, at the Bengals.

Converted safety Antonio Allen moved over to cornerback, as the Jets try to determine what they’ll do if Dee Milliner (high ankle sprain) can’t play in the Sept. 7 opener against the Raiders.

And rookie first-round draft pick Calvin Pryor, a safety, made his debut after missing the preseason opener against the Colts. It was pretty clear, in the immediate aftermath of Jets-Bengals, that Pryor had an impressive debut, and that he stands a very good chance of being the enforcer in the middle of the Jets' secondary that they hoped he could be.

Earlier this week, Allen discussed some of the technical things he noticed after watching film of his performance in Jets-Bengals. On Wednesday, Pryor also reflected on what the film showed him.

“For the most part, I had a pretty solid game,” he said. “(The coaches) kept things much easier for me. We didn’t do too many complicated things (schematically). After watching the film, I learned some things I could do better. One, just try to get in the best shape I can possibly (be in). And I kind of left some plays out on the field where my eyes were in bad position. So if I can just keep my eyes on my keys and read what I’m doing on the defensive side of the ball, I should be all right.”

Pryor missed so much practice time in training camp due to a concussion – and the missed practice time is why coach Rex Ryan did not want to play him against the Colts – that it is not surprising to hear him say he must catch up with his conditioning.

“Each day I’m getting better,” he said of his conditioning. “It’s going to come. The season isn’t here yet, so I still have time. That’s important, (and) that’s why I get those reps (during preseason games), so I can just get back into playing shape.”

Pryor has been working with both the starters and the second-team defense during practice, just as he did against the Bengals, when he played 48 defensive snaps (65 percent of the action) – the most of any Jets player.

Getting Pryor acclimated with the mental aspects of playing in the Jets’ defense during a game is important. But as he mentioned, it is also critical that he works through the pace of a game, so his body can get used to it.

The Jets probably will again give Pryor a lot of snaps in Friday night’s preseason game against the Giants. Ryan usually plays his starters for the first half – and then the first series of the second half – so even if Pryor begins the game on the bench, as he did in Cincinnati, he should have ample opportunities to work with the starting defense.

Jets defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, their former defensive backs coach, said he saw “more positive than negative” after analyzing film of Pryor’s game Saturday.

“Played fast, played hard, is physical (and) can be somewhat intimidating because he does play fast,” Thurman said. “We just expect him to continue to get better and to continue to work and grow. It’s fun watching him. It’s fun watching him play.”

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ye_discip.html

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think shazier is going to be an amazing NFL player and also landed in a great defense.

When you are as fast as he is, but can also play the run from an inside LB position while being a good blitzer, the sky is the limit for what he can do.
    I had him as the Jets #1 pick in my mock and the reaction was "oh God no", never understood why.

Hall Of Fame
    Eli Manning understands the concern about the New York Giants' offense with the regular season three weeks away.

The guys entrusted with making new coordinator Ben McAdoo's unit work have done little in the last two preseason games.

Here's the numbers the first offense posted in eight series against the Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts: 31 plays, 134 yards, six first downs - three by penalty - and one touchdown.

Most of the yardage came on a 73-yard touchdown run by Rashad Jennings against the Steelers. Take that away and it's 30 plays for 61 yards, or roughly 2 yards per play.

Manning is 1 for 9 for 6 yards in the two games and Victor Cruz has yet to catch a pass in three preseason games.

Despite the gloom, Manning remains hopeful things will be better when the Giants line up against the Lions on Sept. 8 in Detroit.

''I don't think we have ever been a great preseason team as far as I remember,'' Manning said Monday as the Giants (3-0) began preparations for Friday night's game against the Jets (2-0). ''I know how things are going in practice and what we are capable of doing. We have improvements to do for sure, but we have a little time and we'll keep working on things.

''I have seen progress over these weeks in practice and some of these concepts we are getting better at, getting a better feel for things and the timing for things. So we'll keep working at it.''

Sounds good. However, the offense has not looked good the past two weeks and the players know it.

Guard Geoff Schwartz said it was tough going over the game film, especially because the offense should be at the point where it is making progress transitioning from former coordinator Kevin Gilbride's balanced attack to McAdoo's up-tempo West Coast version. It has created a sense of urgency heading into the annual preseason game with Rex Ryan's team.

The Giants need to start showing what type of an offense they have, he said.

''The execution of the offense means something in preseason,'' Schwartz said. ''We just haven't been executing terribly well, whether it's blocking or other things I can't really say. I know up front we have not been executing that well, especially Saturday night. That's something preseason or regular season we have to be better at.''

Cruz, who had a 51-yard reception nullified by a penalty and a fumble Saturday night, isn't hitting the panic button. He notes that the Giants have not shown much of their new offense in the preseason. His biggest concern is the lack of execution through the first three games. He believes there are plays to be made if everyone performs their roles.

''There is still a ways to go,'' Cruz said. ''We still have a ton of practices before Week 1 in Detroit. We still have a ton of film to watch, a ton of things to change and things to get better at that we can get better at, and things we can fix. I think it is only a matter of time until we get everything clicking. I think we will have it down pat and we will get things going by Week 1, for sure.''

The Giants probably will make some changes before the season starts.

Rookie Weston Richburg, the second-round draft pick, is pushing Brandon Mosley for the starting job at right guard. Manning also will have an added deep threat when rookie receiver Odell Beckham Jr., the first-round pick, is ready to go after being sidelined with a hamstring injury.

Game-planning more also will help.

''Even this week we'll game-plan a little bit more,'' said Manning, who admitted he missed three big-play passes on Saturday. ''The other weeks you kind of have one day where you're looking at the opposing defense and you're really just trying to run your base plays. Even this week we'll be kind of looking at the Jets all week, practicing plays that are designed to go in with certain personnel. Hopefully that will help some. Really it's just a matter of winning our individual battles and playing smart football.''

NOTES: While he did not practice, starting CB Prince Amukamara is cautiously optimistic his groin injury suffered Saturday is not serious. ... MLB Jon Beason (broken right foot) is not sure he will be allowed to play in the preseason, but he intends to be ready for the regular-season opener. He was injured in the veterans minicamp in June. ... It appeared that Beckham aggravated his hamstring in practice, but Giants general manager Jerry Reese told team spokesman Pat Hanlon the rookie was OK. Coach Tom Coughlin was caught off-guard when asked about Beckham and smiled at Hanlon when told about Reese's comment. ''Why would I need information like that?'' Coughlin said. ... Besides Amukamara, RB Peyton Hillis (ankle/foot), CBs Jayron Hosley (foot) and Ross Weaver (ankle), TEs Kellen Davis (Achilles strain) and Xavier Grimble (hamstring) and OL Charles Brown (shoulder) and James Brewer (back) did not practice.

> http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/18/ap-fbn-giants-offense

Hall Of Fame
    The New York Jets' secondary is depleted, beleaguered and, most of all, motivated.

Sure, the Jets' top two cornerbacks - Dee Milliner and Dimitri Patterson - have been banged up for most of training camp.

And, yes, one of their potential key backups - Dexter McDougle - is out for the season. Oh, and there's also that eyebrow-raising experiment with safety Antonio Allen moving to cornerback for the first time in his professional life.

Want to call the secondary is a sore spot on this team? Go ahead. The defensive backs beg to differ.

''It's OK,'' Patterson said Tuesday. ''At the end of the day, and it's the good thing about professional sports, you've got the opportunity to go out and shut people up.''

But, the question remains: can they?

Well, first Milliner and Patterson need to get back on the field together. Milliner, entering his second year and considered the Jets' top cornerback, is sidelined indefinitely with a high ankle sprain.

Coach Rex Ryan said the injury is ''healing nicely,'' but there's no guarantee he'll be ready to play in the season opener.

Meanwhile, Patterson had been sidelined with calf, ankle and quadriceps ailments since he pushed through them and played - and struggled - in the Jets' preseason opener against the Indianapolis Colts. He returned to practice on a limited basis Monday and has been encouraged by his progress.

''Yeah, it's frustrating because you want to be out there and you want to play,'' he said. ''You want to be out there getting into a rhythm, but it's a long season and you want to make sure that when live bullets start flying and the regular season comes, you're at full strength.''

Patterson called his injuries ''minor,'' but isn't sure if he'll be able to play in the team's next preseason game on Friday night against the Giants. He is, however, optimistic about being ready for Oakland in Week 1.

''Oh, yeah,'' he said. ''No doubt.''

McDougle, a promising rookie, was lost for the season on Aug. 10 - the same day Milliner was injured - after tearing a ligament in his left knee. The third-round draft pick wrote on Twitter that he was having surgery on Wednesday.

Fellow cornerbacks Ras-I Dowling (groin), Jeremy Reeves (hamstring) and Johnny Patrick (hamstring) have also missed time during camp with injuries. That has put Ryan and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman in a bit of predicament, with the two turning to Allen and Ellis Lankster, normally a special teams standout, as starters.

Allen struggled against Cincinnati's A.J. Green, who had three catches for 69 yards last Saturday night.

''I'd love to say we can't worry about who's not here,'' linebacker Calvin Pace said. ''We're worried about them because we care about them, and they'll be fine. With that being said, the guys who are here, we see them in practice, and they play here for a reason. The thing about them is they just need to get a little confidence.''

Pace said the preseason is the time for players to gain experience and earn the trust of their teammates. He also acknowledged that the Jets' front seven needs to take some of the pressure off the secondary by getting to the quarterback.

''Let the chips fall where they may,'' Pace said. ''They're good players. They've just got to get seasoned a little bit.''

General manager John Idzik has been criticized by some fans and media for not signing a big-name cornerback in free agency such as Darrelle Revis, Vontae Davis or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. The Jets also cut Antonio Cromartie, allowing him to become a free agent.

So, with each injury and blown coverage, the secondary becomes an even greater concern.

''People are going to say whatever they want to say outside the locker room,'' Patterson said. ''Whatever their opinion is, they have the right to exercise their First Amendment (rights). That's fine. Opinions are part of professional sports. Football is a sport where you go out there and prove it.''

Patterson also believes the criticisms of his teammates at this point in the preseason might be a bit premature and overblown.

''When the regular season comes, you know, seven, eight or nine weeks in, then you have a pretty good idea of what we are as a secondary,'' Patterson said. ''I think it's unrealistic and unfair to give opinions at this point, this early. It's football.

''At the end of the day, guys have to come in and come through the season and show what they can do. That's what the season's for. Let the season take its course.''

NOTES: Ryan said the starters will likely play one series into the second half against the Giants. He was uncertain when Michael Vick would enter the game. ... Ryan wouldn't disclose details, but acknowledged that the ''medical event'' that caused rookie WR Jalen Saunders to get into a car accident last Friday was not a preexisting condition that the team knew about. Saunders, back with the team but not practicing, is expected to address the media Wednesday.

> http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/19/ap-...pect-secondary

Hall Of Fame
    New York Jets season preview : Can offense improve ?

Around the League's season preview continues in the AFC East.
    Change we can believe in

Twenty-two NFL players scored more touchdowns than the entire Jets' receiving corps combined in 2013. Free-agent acquisition Eric Decker boasts more touchdowns (32) than any wide receiver save Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant over the past three seasons. Decker's numbers will suffer as he transitions from Peyton Manning to Geno Smith, but he still fills a vacuum in the No. 1 receiver role.

Throw in tailback Chris Johnson, and the Jets' offense now has a pair of proven playmakers after taking the field without a single player capable of demanding double teams a season ago.
    Biggest concern

Despite coach Rex Ryan's claims to the contrary, his defenses have relied heavily upon quality press-man cornerbacks. That's a problem with Dee Milliner nursing a high-ankle sprain and Dimitri Patterson struggling in preseason action.

The problems in the secondary are exacerbated by a front seven that kills opposing rushing attacks but can't muster a pass rush. Ryan will have a challenge scheming to get pressure on quarterbacks if he can't rely on his cornerbacks to hang with wide receivers in man coverage. Quarterback has to be considered a concern after Smith finished his rookie season 34th in Total QBR. Improvement can be expected, but will he be looking over his shoulder at Michael Vick if an extended slump hits?
    Training camp surprise

Notable Madden ratings

1. Muhammad Wilkerson - 93
    2. Geno Smith - 78
    3. Eric Decker - 88
    4. Damon Harrison - 88
    Click HERE for all ratings

First the good news. First-round safety Calvin Pryor has lived up to his "Louisville Slugger" nickname, making plays all over the field and even rushing the passer in Cincinnati last week. The No. 18 overall pick ranks third on NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah's list of Defensive Rookie of the Year candidates.

Now the bad news. Second-round tight end Jace Amaro's head has been spinning since offseason practices kicked off. He dropped passes throughout training camp and isn't close to being comfortable in Marty Mornhinweg's pro-style system. The Jets can't expect him to play a big role in the offense until later in the season.
    What we'll be saying in February

General manager John Idzik moved with all the urgency of a glacier in finding Rex Ryan's replacement.

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ffense-improve

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    New York Jets season preview : Can offense improve ?

Around the League's season preview continues in the AFC East.
    Change we can believe in

Twenty-two NFL players scored more touchdowns than the entire Jets' receiving corps combined in 2013. Free-agent acquisition Eric Decker boasts more touchdowns (32) than any wide receiver save Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant over the past three seasons. Decker's numbers will suffer as he transitions from Peyton Manning to Geno Smith, but he still fills a vacuum in the No. 1 receiver role.

Throw in tailback Chris Johnson, and the Jets' offense now has a pair of proven playmakers after taking the field without a single player capable of demanding double teams a season ago.
    Biggest concern

Despite coach Rex Ryan's claims to the contrary, his defenses have relied heavily upon quality press-man cornerbacks. That's a problem with Dee Milliner nursing a high-ankle sprain and Dimitri Patterson struggling in preseason action.

The problems in the secondary are exacerbated by a front seven that kills opposing rushing attacks but can't muster a pass rush. Ryan will have a challenge scheming to get pressure on quarterbacks if he can't rely on his cornerbacks to hang with wide receivers in man coverage. Quarterback has to be considered a concern after Smith finished his rookie season 34th in Total QBR. Improvement can be expected, but will he be looking over his shoulder at Michael Vick if an extended slump hits?
    Training camp surprise

Notable Madden ratings

1. Muhammad Wilkerson - 93
    2. Geno Smith - 78
    3. Eric Decker - 88
    4. Damon Harrison - 88
    Click HERE for all ratings

First the good news. First-round safety Calvin Pryor has lived up to his "Louisville Slugger" nickname, making plays all over the field and even rushing the passer in Cincinnati last week. The No. 18 overall pick ranks third on NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah's list of Defensive Rookie of the Year candidates.

Now the bad news. Second-round tight end Jace Amaro's head has been spinning since offseason practices kicked off. He dropped passes throughout training camp and isn't close to being comfortable in Marty Mornhinweg's pro-style system. The Jets can't expect him to play a big role in the offense until later in the season.
    What we'll be saying in February

General manager John Idzik moved with all the urgency of a glacier in finding Rex Ryan's replacement.

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ffense-improve
    This really pisses me off. Maybe Idzik actually believes in Rex's ability. I am sorry but is Chip Kelly still available?

Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    This really pisses me off. Maybe Idzik actually believes in Rex's ability. I am sorry but is Chip Kelly still available?
    Yeah, and I'll bet they are dead fvckin wrong.

Jets Insider VIP
    Now Chris Wesseling's off target spewing is pissing you off...Haven't the Beater halfwits enured you with their steady stream of negative BS and made you immune to this sort of crap from self appointed "experts"??

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Idzik's honeymoon over with Jets

Rex Ryan showed his new boss last season that, even when speaking softly, he still carried a big enough stick to squeeze eight wins out of a team with modest talent. The New York Jets' coach received a well-deserved contract extension.

Now, with the Jets reporting to training camp Wednesday in upstate Cortland, New York, for Year 2 of the Ryan-John Idzik era, we start to learn a lot more about the other half of the leadership tandem, the quiet man who prefers to stay out of the spotlight.

This is Idzik's time.

Dee Milliner is one of John Idzik's draft picks that needs to produce for the Jets.It's impossible to evaluate a general manager after one season, especially in a rebuilding situation, but the landscape changes after two drafts and two rounds of free agency. In the NFL, that’s enough time to get a team from the 6-10 mess that Idzik inherited into the playoffs.

Idzik's predecessors, Terry Bradway in 2001 and Mike Tannenbaum in 2006, reached the postseason in their first season as GM. Go back further, and you will remember that Bill Parcells made it to the AFC Championship Game in his second year as the GM/coach.Even though Idzik is operating on a long-term plan, evidenced by his emphasis on the draft and his deliberate approach in free agency, an 0-for-2 start wouldn't look good on his résumé. He shouldn't be on the New York Mets' Sandy Alderson timeline, meaning he has to move faster than a glacier. It's just the way of the NFL.

Idzik has been around long enough to put his stamp on the team. He signed, re-signed and drafted most of the projected starters. In fact, only seven starters can be considered true holdovers from the previous administration -- D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Muhammad Wilkerson, David Harris, Damon Harrison, Quinton Coples and Demario Davis.It's easy to notice they're the best guys on the team, Tannenbaum guys. Idzik needs to get some of his guys on that list. He already has Sheldon Richardson. By the end of the season, the list of top homegrowns should also include Geno Smith, Dee Milliner and Calvin Pryor. If Smith and Milliner are missing, the Jets will miss the playoffs for the fourth straight season, which won’t bode well for Ryan's job security.

Idzik has the Jets pointed in the right direction, and the strides they made last season can't be dismissed. But let's be honest: They overachieved. They were one of the softest 8-8 teams in history, and you can look it up. Their point differential was minus-97, the largest since the 1970 merger for any team with at least eight wins.The talent base should be improved this season, especially with the additions of Eric Decker and Chris Johnson. Decker was Idzik's one big splurge in free agency, his one Tannenbaum-like move. Johnson and Michael Vick will be one-and-done players, worthwhile Band-Aids that won't ruin the master plan if they fizzle. The offseason proved, once again, that Idzik won't deviate from his script no matter how much salary-cap room he has at his disposal. For the record, there's about $22 million as of today.

Idzik is doing it the right way, avoiding the temptation of the quick fix. That will pay off in the long run, but there will be problems along the way. For instance: Failing to sign a top cornerback in free agency was a mistake that could be exposed early in the season, when they face several elite quarterbacks. The cornerback issue will be exacerbated if Milliner fails to develop as hoped.The Jets believe Milliner, drafted ninth overall, will be a special player, basing much of their opinion on his strong finish. The same theory can be applied to the quarterback situation with Smith. They're placing a lot of weight on those last four games, and that can be dangerous when you consider the competition. They beat three also-rans, three teams with mediocre (at best) quarterbacks -- the Oakland Raiders, Cleveland Browns and Miami Dolphins.

Now, after seven months of positive mojo, the Jets can prove it wasn't a mirage. If Idzik's investments mirror the stock market, they'll be a playoff team. If it goes the other way, he'll hear the criticism, good and loud. The honeymoon is over. This is Idzik's time.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ime-to-deliver
    You know, the more I say the guys name sounds like the name of a newly discovered disease... lol

Seriously, though, I agree... This is his time... There'll be no excuses if he wastes the solid core on this team through missed opportunities...

Veteran
    'Yeah, and I'll bet they are dead fvckin wrong.'

'Now Chris Wesseling's off target spewing is pissing you off...Haven't the Beater halfwits enured you with their steady stream of negative BS and made you immune to this sort of crap from self appointed "experts"??'

I have an opinion and I don't have to be Yoda to express it. Why don't you guys go discuss the Rothchild Bank and the global economy collapse theory.

I have an opinion and I don't have to be Yoda to express it. Why don't you guys go discuss the Rothchild Bank and the global economy collapse theory.
    So you think Rex will be fired after this season? And Idzik will move like a glacier or whatever it was about finding a new HC?

Veteran
    I'll tell you if you do the Ice Bucket Challenge.

I'll tell you if you do the Ice Bucket Challenge.
    I do that every time I shower. ICE COLD!

It's my own little way of giving back.

Hall Of Fame
    -- It was only a matter of time, and that time is now.

First-round pick Calvin Pryor will start at safety Friday night when the New York Jets meet the New York Giants in their annual preseason game. Pryor worked with the first team Thursday evening in a special practice at Hofstra, with Rex Ryan confirming later the Louisville Slugger will replace Jaiquawn Jarrett in the lineup.

"You know he's ready for it," Ryan said. "You saw the game (last week), as well as I have. We've seen the practices."

Pryor came off the bench last Saturday night against the Cincinnati Bengals, but he got some time with the starting unit and made a handful of impact plays. He recovered a fumble, broke up two passes and recorded a tackle-for-loss in his NFL debut. He missed the first preseason game because of a concussion.

Promoting Pryor is the right move; it's the only move. He was drafted 18th overall for a reason, and he displayed those reasons last week, bringing an enforcer mentality to the secondary. It would've made no sense to keep him with the backups.

Pryor won't be the only new starter in the secondary. Continuing to experiment even as the preseason winds down, the Jets will give Darrin Walls a shot at cornerback, replacing Ellis Lankster. Walls played well last week, making a late interception, and followed that with a good week of practice.

It has to be disconcerting for Ryan, mixing and matching in the third preseason game, but what choice does he have? Converted safety Antonio Allen will remain at cornerback (this week, anyway), with Dawan Landry holding it all down at strong safety.

It doesn't appear that Dimitri Patterson (leg) will play. He was in uniform Thursday night, but he didn't participate in any positional or team drills. The Jets are counting on him to be ready for the season opener, but they're not sure about Dee Milliner (high-ankle sprain).

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...t-career-start