Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Jason Babin visits with Jets (Update - Babin Signed for 2 years)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I have been one of Idzik's loudest supporters since LAST off-season - while most others were still in wait & see mode.

I see no fault whatsoever with how John Idzik is running this organization.

In my view, he is the most competent GM we have had in my lifetime, bar none.
    Of course you are right...

Remember those posters who SWORE Tanny would have made every move Idzik is.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Well anyway that is my stand point I think it is a bad signing. I see nothing he can bring and I wouldnt want him getting reps over the more talented younger guys we have. 34 hasnt brought much to the game in years now. Proven to be a liability on the field and doesnt bring anything we need really. Not sure what else to say. He has been the Tebow of LBs all name no game. Totally over rated because he has some sacks but sucks at every aspect of the game. Just because you have 18 sack doesnt make you an elite player and he isnt even that anymore. At least get a vet that can bring something more to help the younger players. Philly could not wait to get him out of town and it had nothing to do with money. The guy cant play. I get it Rex knows more then I do. That said the coaches that have worked with Babin know him better then Rex they didnt think much of him either. That is my final stance. Hate it if you want but it is true.
    Do you understand that he's going to be asked to put his hand in the dirt 10-15 times a game on passing situations? Nothing more, nothing less. If he can't handle that, he won't survive camp. I think the team isn't counting on Barnes returning and wants to cover their asses in case a 6th or 7th round draft choice doesn't pan out.

Veteran
    Don't see it as a major deal. Won't get much playing time. Idzik seems to like these low risk spare part moves. Will see if they work.

Babin comes in with something to prove. The Dude's motor is ridiculous and if he is 75% of what he used to be it will only further fortify our defensive line and provide incredible depth. Anything more is gravy. With all of our cap space, this is a win/win scenario for the D. Great signing by Idzik.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    I was driving to Cortland when this story broke
    Looking forward to your camp reports KRL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Just because you have 18 sacks in 1 season doesnt make you an elite player.
    Ummm.Are you sure you really meant this sentence?

Because it ACTUALLY does put you in a pretty elite club, if you look at THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE NFL...

You may not like this guy.
    He may not be today what he was in 2011.
    BUT, I gotta tel ya, your post/sentence (above) is JUST PLAIN WRONG....
    18 sacks in 1 single season is just an UN-BELIEVABLY "elite" achievement. It is. To say otherwise is just silly.He may not be an "Elite Player" now, but during that 18-sack season? Yes, absolutely.Thats why he made the ALL-PRO Team that year. All-Pro = "elite player".
    Sorry.
    Last edited by Baddniss; 07-24-2014 at 04:43 AM.

Quick stat for those of you not impressed by an 18-sack season...

in THE HISTORY OF THE NFL (since they have been keeping sacks as a stat), there have been approx 20 players who have ever had a season with more than 18 sacks in it.
    Its those 20, out of approximately 20,000 players seasons of DL/LB during that same period.

That's one in a thousand as a ratio...That's NOT elite performance?...Be serious.

If Babin has anything left he's gonna be a BEAST playing on 3rd down with this Jets defensive front!
    Probably why he signed here.
    I can just imagine Rex saying to him, "We're not concerned about anything but you getting to the passer, don't you worry about the run, we have other guys to take care of that!".
    This guy had 7 1/2 sacks last year playing with NO BODY in Jacksonville, quick name someone on their Dline.
    He's gonna line up on 3rd down 11-16 plays a game with Mo Wilk, Snacks or Ellis, Sheldon & Coples!
    Add in
    Harris, Davis, Pryor, who could also be blitzing in Rex crazy azz scheme & that's a lot for an Oline to handle.
    I was always intrigued by Babin after he blew our Oline up in a game in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I have been one of Idzik's loudest supporters since LAST off-season - while most others were still in wait & see mode.

I see no fault whatsoever with how John Idzik is running this organization.

In my view, he is the most competent GM we have had in my lifetime, bar none.
    This is yet another honeymoon period. I also like what he has done but perhaps 3 years from now we will all be hating him

Hope not!

Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    This is yet another honeymoon period. I also like what he has done but perhaps 3 years from now we will all be hating him

Hope not!
    I can't imagine what he could for the Jets fans to hate him 3 years from now, he's a 34 year old player signing a 2 year deal. I don't think anyone has an expectation that he'd be on the team in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I can't imagine what he could for the Jets fans to hate him 3 years from now, he's a 34 year old player signing a 2 year deal. I don't think anyone has an expectation that he'd be on the team in 3 years.
    He meant idzik

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    He meant idzik
    Yup... I'm an idiot and didn't read. I do agree that Tannenbaum would have made a lot of the same moves that Idzik made. Tannenbaum's aggressive ways almost got the Jets to the Super Bowl and basically his history was written because he was wrong on Sanchez. Not saying he was great, but if Sanchez turns out to be a decent QB, then Tannenbaum's probably still the GM (Stating the obvious, I know... but the bottom line is, as a GM, you can't be wrong about a QB.. especially a QB that's been in the league a few seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Yup... I'm an idiot and didn't read. I do agree that Tannenbaum would have made a lot of the same moves that Idzik made. Tannenbaum's aggressive ways almost got the Jets to the Super Bowl and basically his history was written because he was wrong on Sanchez. Not saying he was great, but if Sanchez turns out to be a decent QB, then Tannenbaum's probably still the GM (Stating the obvious, I know... but the bottom line is, as a GM, you can't be wrong about a QB.. especially a QB that's been in the league a few seasons)
    Picking Holmes over Edwards was another idiot move. And Tanny would have paid these guys max money and years like CJ. Idzik's way is way better for our future and its not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    Picking Holmes over Edwards was another idiot move. And Tanny would have paid these guys max money and years like CJ. Idzik's way is way better for our future and its not even close.
    I agree he paid Holmes too much, but considering Edwards never had even a 50 yard receiving game after leaving the Jets (or averaged more than 2 catches a game), I don't think you can argue he should have taken Edwards. Holmes was off to a decent start before tearing his knee in 2012 (20 catches, 277 yards through 3.75 games).

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
    Babin comes in with something to prove. The Dude's motor is ridiculous and if he is 75% of what he used to be it will only further fortify our defensive line and provide incredible depth. Anything more is gravy. With all of our cap space, this is a win/win scenario for the D. Great signing by Idzik.
    The people acting like this is a meh type of move I find them fascinating. We're facing Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, Phillip Rivers, Manning and Brady first half of the season and they don't think we need to improve the pass rush?

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    Quick stat for those of you not impressed by an 18-sack season...

in THE HISTORY OF THE NFL (since they have been keeping sacks as a stat), there have been approx 20 players who have ever had a season with more than 18 sacks in it.
    Its those 20, out of approximately 20,000 players seasons of DL/LB during that same period.

That's one in a thousand as a ratio...That's NOT elite performance?...Be serious.
    People pick and choose who they like. Most Jets fans never liked Braylon Edwards prior to him becoming a Jet and maintained the same attitude even though he helped their team win games and make playoff runs they had never seen since Super Bowl III. Babin is just one of those guys whose image alot of Jets fans don't like. Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard lose games for us by getting smoked by every tight end in the NFL Jets fans let them off the hook but someone who actually has some talent and gives us additional pass rush when we have a terrible schedule facing every good qb in the league that guy sucks.

Babin isn't the second coming of Reggie White but I think he helps us as a situational pass rusher.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    People pick and choose who they like. Most Jets fans never liked Braylon Edwards prior to him becoming a Jet and maintained the same attitude even though he helped their team win games and make playoff runs they had never seen since Super Bowl III. Babin is just one of those guys whose image alot of Jets fans don't like. Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard lose games for us by getting smoked by every tight end in the NFL Jets fans let them off the hook but someone who actually has some talent and gives us additional pass rush when we have a terrible schedule facing every good qb in the league that guy sucks.

Babin isn't the second coming of Reggie White but I think he helps us as a situational pass rusher.
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    The people acting like this is a meh type of move I find them fascinating. We're facing Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, Phillip Rivers, Manning and Brady first half of the season and they don't think we need to improve the pass rush?

Ok

Reality...as opposed to fantasy

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post

Reality...as opposed to fantasy
    IMO, Jason Babin on the Jaguars is nothing special, but the Jets defense, a Rex Ryan defense as a whole, may benefit Babin for a year or two. It really could work

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    IMO, Jason Babin on the Jaguars is nothing special, but the Jets defense, a Rex Ryan defense as a whole, may benefit Babin for a year or two. It really could work
    7 1/2 sacks on a nothing team, going nowhere. If he just repeats that he'd be third on our team last year.

There's been some great players over the years that have gone teams to play a significant role, playing particular role, late in their careers. A move like this could put this D over the top. All he has to worry about is going after the QB...and has he been great at that in his career.

Like somebody else said, 'hand in the dirt 10-15 times as a pass rusher'.

They don't need him for anything else

Keep in mind that all his line mates are still growing, getting better. Every body gets better, the better the team.

Meh... Big hairy a$$ deal... The guy is 34 and is added to a unit that clearly does not need the help. If Idzik is truly the man the way some of you dingbats seem to think, why didn't he add an OL or a CB? That is the Jets biggest area of need and your wonderful GM does not give a sh*t. If Willie Colon goes down this team is f*cked, bank on it.