Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willie Colon & Antwan Barnes to start the season on PUP list

All League

Willie Colon & Antwan Barnes to start the season on PUP list

New York Jets ‏@nyjets 8m

The Jets have agreed to terms w/ LB Jason Babin & released CB Lowell Rose. G Willie Colon & LB Antwan Barnes (knees) placed on Active/PUP.
    Luckily Chris Johnson is not on the list and appears good to go.
    Hopefully Colon gets off soon, we'll need him.
    Barnes obviously becomes less of a need with Babin here. But he's still effective and hope to see him in the mix.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 07-23-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Luckily Chris Johnson is not on the list and appears good to go.
    Hopefully Colon gets off soon, we'll need him.
    Barnes obviously becomes less of a need with Babin here. But he's still effective and hope to see him in the mix.
    They're starting TC on PUP, right? That's a little different than "the season". But, I wouldn't be surprised if Barnes starts the regular season on PUP. Especially with the siging of Babin. Gives him some extra time to get healthy, gives us a nice boost if we need extra bodies - almost a trade deadline acquisition. And if there's no room for him, that means we're in good shape.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    They're starting TC on PUP, right? That's a little different than "the season". But, I wouldn't be surprised if Barnes starts the regular season on PUP. Especially with the siging of Babin. Gives him some extra time to get healthy, gives us a nice boost if we need extra bodies - almost a trade deadline acquisition. And if there's no room for him, that means we're in good shape.
    Yes, mods feel free to correct this. I meant "training camp", got a little ahead of myself

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Indeed.

All Pro
    Here is my question about colon.

Do we:

Have the first team line be winters are RG and Oday at LG as we did in minicamp

OR

Keep winters at LG, hoping colon comes back as the starter at RG, and have Oday, Dozier or Campbell play RG with the 1s.

Personally Id rather see winters at RG for a week or so to get him and Oday as much time with the first group as possible and if colon is healthy, move winters back for the final 2 or so weeks of camp.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Do we:

OR

Keep winters at LG, hoping colon comes back as the starter at RG, and have Oday, Dozier or Campbell play RG with the 1s.

Personally Id rather see winters at RG for a week or so to get him and Oday as much time with the first group as possible and if colon is healthy, move winters back for the final 2 or so weeks of camp.
    I like Winters at RG either way personally. I think he looks better there, and Colon looked better at LG in Pittsburg.
    I realize they wanted the rookie in between the veterans, but that's over now.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I like Winters at RG either way personally. I think he looks better there, and Colon looked better at LG in Pittsburg.
    When did you see winters at RG - did you go do minicamp?

Rookie

Do we:

OR

I will be shocked if Colon isn't the starting RG. The silver lining with him on the PUP is that they're gonna get a good look at everybody else. They'll prolly be easy on Mangold and Brick too at this stage of their careers, and get a good competition going for the depth positions.
    It's gonna be better than last year when you consider they had to throw in Winters while he was changing positions cause Vlad proved once again that he sucked.
    Word of caution: Aboushi was drafted to play T. Unless somebody else has really come on to fill that role and has afforded them the luxury of moving Aboushi, I'm not buying yet that because Aboushi worked out at G it means anything. It could mean he sucked at T...like last year. I don't even care, there's more guys to choose from than before. Not a bad thing.

Hall Of Fame
    Dennis Waszak Jr. ‏@DWAZ73: Rex says both Barnes and Colon passed their physicals, but #Jets "just want to be smart with them." Won't rush them back.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this post because Winters has never played RG until recently in OTA's and only played LT in college. Colon, during his time with the Steelers was mostly their RT.

Switching from the left side to the right side is not as easy as it sounds. I'd leave Winters at LG because he looks pretty good pulling and leave the mauler in Colon at RG, because with his heft he's not very agile when it comes to pulling.

All League
    Word of caution: Aboushi was drafted to play T.

When we drafted Aboushi I never envisioned him as a Tackle at the NFL level, he just doesn't have the athleticism to man the Tackle position. I think the Jets drafted him with the idea of him kicking inside.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Word of caution: Aboushi was drafted to play T.

When we drafted Aboushi I never envisioned him as a Tackle at the NFL level, he just doesn't have the athleticism to man the Tackle position. I think the Jets drafted him with the idea of him kicking inside.
    They drafted Winters and Dozier, both small school Left tackles, as guards. They were projected that way coming out too. One of the pluses of Dozier is that he may be able to play Center and T. They're looking for versatility with these guys to play more than one position.
    They drafted Campbell as a guard, a big move for him a la Moore. Aboushi played and practiced at Tackle last year, as he did in college. He was projected as a RT. Hey, I hope he turns to be ALL Pro at guard.
    Last edited by JohnJ; 07-23-2014 at 07:02 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    They drafted Winters and Dozier, both small school Left tackles, as guards. They were projected that way coming out too. One of the pluses of Dozier is that he may be able to play Center and T. They're looking for versatility with these guys to play more than one position.
    They drafted Campbell as a guard, a big move for him a la Moore. Aboushi played and practiced at Tackle last year, as he did in college. He was projected as a RT. Hey, I hope he turns to be ALL Pro at guard.
    I always envisioned him as a G at the next level because he doesn't have the lateral ability to play Tackle. Maybe the Jets hoped for the best that he would develop and stick at Tackle, worst case scenario, swing him inside.

Personally I never saw the skillset of a Tackle in his game, so hopefully the move to Guard suites his skills a little better.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I always envisioned him as a G at the next level because he doesn't have the lateral ability to play Tackle. Maybe the Jets hoped for the best that he would develop and stick at Tackle, worst case scenario, swing him inside.

Personally I never saw the skillset of a Tackle in his game, so hopefully the move to Guard suites his skills a little better.
    I agree. Good point of him maybe being a better fit in the long run as G. Maybe it's a good fit

He didn't look good at Tackle the little I saw of him, so I may have a little bit of bad impression of him. I'll keep an open mind towards it.

Judging any player off of their first training camp and pre-season is idiotic.

All Pro
    Colon health is so important, but what does anyone really do about it?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BradySmugglesPickles View Post
    There's more to it than that. It all starts with scouting throughout their collegiate careers, but I somewhat agree with your statement.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BradySmugglesPickles View Post
    They don't think he can play Tackle either...smart a$$

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    They don't think he can play Tackle either...smart a$$
    Quote from you:

Word of caution: Aboushi was drafted to play T. Unless somebody else has really come on to fill that role and has afforded them the luxury of moving Aboushi, I'm not buying yet that because Aboushi worked out at G it means anything. It could mean he sucked at T...like last year. I don't even care, there's more guys to choose from than before. Not a bad thing.
    Who said he can't play tackle? Has that ever come from the Jets? The only people saying that are on JetsInsider from what I've seen. Back to my original post, you said that he "sucked" last year. You're only basing that off his first training camp and his very first NFL competition. I think saying somebody "sucks" based on what they did in their first 2 months of their NFL lives is idiotic...smart a$$.

Do we:

OR

We have $23 mil in cap room please go buy Travelle Wharton already while there is still time.