Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamaal Charles: "I'm going to hold out." Chiefs: "Okay here's a new contract"

JetsInsider.com Legend

Jamaal Charles: "I'm going to hold out." Chiefs: "Okay here's a new contract"

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chiefs and RB Jamaal Charles have agreed to a new contract.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    If true, the Chiefs need to take a few lessons from how the Jets dealt with Revis. Charles is more valuable, but still, reports of the holdout started and ended today.

Shortest threat of a holdout ever

Hall Of Fame
    HAHA, did they even start practices or report for that matter yet?!

Amateurs.

I hate when players hold out for new contracts, but Charles deserves more money. He's been way underpaid the last 4 years. Outside of rookie contracts he was probably the best bargain in the NFL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Chiefs signed RB Jamaal Charles to a two-year, $18.1 million contract extension through 2017.

So much for that holdout. Charles is now the second-highest paid running back in the league behind Adrian Peterson and is locked up through his age-31 campaign. On his previous deal, Charles was scheduled to make $3.9 million in salary and bonuses this season. He'll now make $8.3 million in 2014. It's well deserved after Charles put the Chiefs' offense on his back and carried them to the playoffs in 2013. Charles is entering his age-28 season. He's a locked-in top-three fantasy back, along with Peterson and LeSean McCoy.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    There you have it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    I hate when players hold out for new contracts, but Charles deserves more money. He's been way underpaid the last 4 years. Outside of rookie contracts he was probably the best bargain in the NFL.
    I don't blame him. He's had some injuries, running backs have such a short shelf life, he has to get his now.

As for how quick it went, I think they were already negotiating, and they hit a snag towards the end, he said he'd hold out, they said, fine, lets go.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    There you have it.
    That's not a bad deal. Real good money, but only for 2 years, so it's not like there will be some terrible cap hit down the road.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    That's not a bad deal. Real good money, but only for 2 years, so it's not like there will be some terrible cap hit down the road.
    Well he's 28 so good for him.

Lynch must be fuming.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Well he's 28 so good for him.

Lynch must be fuming.
    No way.

He's just all about that action, boss!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    No way.

He's just all about that action, boss!
    I like Lynch, but he was talking about a new contract as well.

Problem is that they're phasing Michael in this year to replace 28 year old Lynch. Already statements saying Michael is the 2015 back.

All Pro
    The Player's union really shat on the future players with the rookie salary cap -

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    The Player's union really shat on the future players with the rookie salary cap -
    I think it polarized it.

Superstars will cash in. Everyone else will deal with salary cap concerns.

All Pro
    No- the vets guys who are in the league and have proved that they can play now get a bigger piece of the pie rather than 1st rd bust at qb making 12 mill a year.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    Totally agree. He is a legit elite talent. Plus the fact that a RBs life span is getting shorter and shorter. Good deal for JC he deservs it!

Rookie
    There was an interesting discussion on the ESPN Football Today podcast between Flores and Andrew Brandt about the payment of players in the NFL compared to the NBA and the MLB. Most NFL players are completely screwed in negotiations because of the non-guaranteed aspects of their contract whereas (as I understand it) the contracts of NBA and MLB players are completely guaranteed.

Brandt suggested that it would take the player the calibre of a Brees, Brady or Manning to tell his current employer to guarantee the entire contract or he'll walk to another team in order for the status quo to change.

All Pro
    Did you see the piece about JC on NFL.com (10 mindblowing stats for training camp)

Jamaal Charles is in the prime of his career, entering his 7th NFL training camp at age 27. Last season Charles became the first running back since Joe Cribbs with the 1983 Buffalo Bills to lead his team in rushes, rushing yards, rushing TD, receptions, receiving yards and receiving TD.
    That to me says "Pay the man"! And his contract discussions weren't new, they'd been ongoing for a while, it was only the suggestion of a holdout that was new.

Banned
    I just wish one star player would set an example for the rest of the NFL and take the minimum to open up cap space for his team.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    No- the vets guys who are in the league and have proved that they can play now get a bigger piece of the pie rather than 1st rd bust at qb making 12 mill a year.
    100% agree with this. The rookie cap has left a TON more money for veterans and mid-level players rather they paying 1st year guys who have never played a down.

Also:

1. I think we are gonna see less first round busts since these guys are no longer set for life after signing one deal. The guy the seahawks picked a few years ago, aaron curry, basically said after signing he had so much money that he lost the drive to succeed and frankly that makes sense to me. The guy got approx $50 million - that can really affect a person, especially a 22 year old.

2. This is why (and not to start in on this again) I felt we should have been more aggressive signing a guy like DRC. Yes teams are built through the draft, and cap room is great but there is SO much more money available to teams now to sign FAs or veterans that to say "championships arent won with FA signings" simply is not true anymore. I think FA will become (if not already) a more valuable tool going forward post CBA then it was when rookies got paid so much more.

For comparison - Kyle Wilson signed a 5 year $13million deal while the 29th pick this year (dominque easley) signed a 4 year $7.3 million deal with a team option for a 5th year (both were mid to late first round picks). Thats a pretty big difference.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by CnPBrah View Post
    I just wish one star player would set an example for the rest of the NFL and take the minimum to open up cap space for his team.
    That'll never ever happen.

NFL players put their health on the line every game they play for the entertainment of others. By and large (apart from the Packers) they work for employers who are billionaires. For them, football is their livelihood so it's no wonder they want to make hay while the sun shines, especially if the sun shines for such a short time on them.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The rookie cap helps the majority of the players in the league and helps protect teams and the league.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Jet View Post
    That'll never ever happen.

NFL players put their health on the line every game they play for the entertainment of others. By and large (apart from the Packers) they work for employers who are billionaires. For them, football is their livelihood so it's no wonder they want to make hay while the sun shines, especially if the sun shines for such a short time on them.
    But you get players like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning that will never have to worry about money in their life. What is the point of making any more? Either they want to make lots of money when they don't need it, or they want to win.