Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Day 1 Updates - AT LAST! Camp is here! :headbang:

Cool Day 1 Updates - AT LAST! Camp is here! :headbang:

Getting a little too excited, but who cares! In a lot of ways this is one of the best (football related) days of the year. Let's see some camp battles. The new players. The progress our players made. Who steps up? Who gets cut? All that starts here and now.

First practice: 10 am

Some photos/quotes to get you pumped up:

“Well, Antwan will be on PUP right now; we are going to be smart with him,” Ryan said. “In fact he passed his conditioning test. Willie Colon also will be on PUP, and he passed his conditioning test. We’re just going to be smart and we’ll see how it plays out.”

"Holding out was never an option for me,” Wilkerson said. “I'm one of the leaders on this team. That wouldn't be a good thing to do. That's not the way a leader should lead his team. On the business side of things, everything will be handled when the time comes. Right now, if anybody has any other contract questions, I would say [Jets general manager] John Idzik is the man to ask."

“We look good on paper right now,” defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson said, “but we’ve got to prove to everybody that we can do these great things on the field.”

“I don’t know if we’ve had a better quarterback situation since I’ve been the head coach here,” Ryan said.

Calvin Pryor: 'Time to Win Some Ball Games'

“I still feel like I’m a premiere quarterback in this league,” said Vick, who is expected to get only about 25% of the first-team reps in practice. “As long as that’s what I feel in my heart, when I step on the field, I can go out and (express) that. My thing is to continue to try to improve each and every day and not feel like I’m a crafty veteran who knows it all. I’m still open to learning. I still feel like if the opportunity comes, I can help this football team win.”

Veteran
    More input! More input!

All the tweets and twitter accounts I'll be monitoring later for Camp updates will blow up my computer I'm sure at some point during the day.

Look at Richardson carrying that 6-inch sub in one hand like it's nothing. What a beast!

Quote Originally Posted by twown View Post
    Look at Richardson carrying that 6-inch sub in one hand like it's nothing. What a beast!

Richardson looks to have lost some weight/ be in better shape

Coples looks pumped up.

Jets wake-up call: Day 1

By Poor Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Here we go: Seven months after that wonderful and spontaneous locker-room celebration in Miami, where they partied after hearing Rex Ryan would return, the New York Jets are ready for business once again. The first training-camp practice of 2014 commences at 10 a.m. on the SUNY-Cortland campus.

Per CBA rules, the Jets won't be in pads, but there will be no shortage of storylines. A quick sampling:

• The big-name newcomers -- Chris Johnson, Eric Decker and Michael Vick -- are healthy and ready for action. You might have heard, Vick is competing with Geno Smith for the starting-quarterback job. Vick, who gave himself a C+/B- for his spring performance, knows he had to raise his grade to make Smith sweat a little.

• With Johnson and Decker, along with a lot of young blood at wide receiver, the Jets expect to be vastly improved on offense. It'll be fun evaluating the early stages of the rebuilding job.

• Newly-signed pass rusher Jason Babin is expected to make his Jets debut, joining one of the most talented defensive lines in the league.

• The defensive spotlight also will be on prized safety Calvin Pryor, who has received more praise than perhaps any rookie under Ryan. And that's saying something.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...ntry-1.1878200

1) How will the first-team quarterback snaps be distributed between Geno Smith and Mike Vick?

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said this spring that Geno Smith would get 70-70 percent of the snaps. Well, seeing is believing. It will be extremely difficult for Vick to make any sort of meaningful run at the Week 1 starting job.

“I got to find inner peace within myself,” Vick said of entering camp as the backup. “I got to find things that keep me stimulated and motivated on the football field. Even if it’s just being in that backup role, that should stimulate me to want to put myself in that position to be even better when I have that opportunity. The last thing you want to do is take any of this for granted, get thrown in the fire and not be ready.”

2) Will Rex Ryan put Chris Johnson on a pitch count?

CJ?K (meniscus repair) has been medically cleared by Dr. James Andrews, the grand wizard of orthopedists, but that doesn’t mean the Jets should throw him to wolves just yet. Sure Johnson “was flying” during his conditioning test on Wednesday, according to Ryan, but the wise course of action would be to ease Johnson back after he didn’t participate in any team drills in the offseason. The prime objective is clear: Get Johnson and his golden grill ready for Week 1 against the Raiders.

3) Is Dee Milliner ready to be a legit No. 1 corner?

Okay, so there’s no way that one practice will provide a verdict, but the last thing Ryan & Co. want to see on Thursday is their 2013 first rounder get toasted early. Milliner showed some bright signs in the final month of an otherwise erratic rookie season, but now it’s time to show he can shut down the best. The best that the Jets have to offer is Eric Decker, so let’s see Milliner v. Deck in practice. Milliner needs to be a rock on what could be a shaky secondary this season.

4) How many growing pains will Jace Amaro endure?

The former Texas Tech tight end has the skillset to be a pass-catching beast in the league, but he struggled at times during offseason workouts. His blocking is an expected work in progress, but it’s time to put on his big boy pants and catch everything thrown his way.

5) How will the Jets interior linemen perform?

Veteran right guard Willie Colon, coming off offseason arthroscopic knee surgery, starts camp on the active/PUP list, which means redshirt freshman Oday Aboushi will get the bulk of first-team reps. Ryan praised Aboushi during offseason workouts, but playtime in shorts is officially over. Let’s see how the second-year lineman does when the intensity is ratcheted up. Left guard Brian Winters also needs to get off on the right foot after a disappointing rookie season. Most importantly, Colon needs to return, because there’s little depth up front.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...ntry-1.1878200

1) How will the first-team quarterback snaps be distributed between Geno Smith and Mike Vick?

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said this spring that Geno Smith would get 70-70 percent of the snaps. Well, seeing is believing. It will be extremely difficult for Vick to make any sort of meaningful run at the Week 1 starting job.

“I got to find inner peace within myself,” Vick said of entering camp as the backup. “I got to find things that keep me stimulated and motivated on the football field. Even if it’s just being in that backup role, that should stimulate me to want to put myself in that position to be even better when I have that opportunity. The last thing you want to do is take any of this for granted, get thrown in the fire and not be ready.”

2) Will Rex Ryan put Chris Johnson on a pitch count?

CJ?K (meniscus repair) has been medically cleared by Dr. James Andrews, the grand wizard of orthopedists, but that doesn’t mean the Jets should throw him to wolves just yet. Sure Johnson “was flying” during his conditioning test on Wednesday, according to Ryan, but the wise course of action would be to ease Johnson back after he didn’t participate in any team drills in the offseason. The prime objective is clear: Get Johnson and his golden grill ready for Week 1 against the Raiders.

3) Is Dee Milliner ready to be a legit No. 1 corner?

Okay, so there’s no way that one practice will provide a verdict, but the last thing Ryan & Co. want to see on Thursday is their 2013 first rounder get toasted early. Milliner showed some bright signs in the final month of an otherwise erratic rookie season, but now it’s time to show he can shut down the best. The best that the Jets have to offer is Eric Decker, so let’s see Milliner v. Deck in practice. Milliner needs to be a rock on what could be a shaky secondary this season.

4) How many growing pains will Jace Amaro endure?

The former Texas Tech tight end has the skillset to be a pass-catching beast in the league, but he struggled at times during offseason workouts. His blocking is an expected work in progress, but it’s time to put on his big boy pants and catch everything thrown his way.

5) How will the Jets interior linemen perform?

Veteran right guard Willie Colon, coming off offseason arthroscopic knee surgery, starts camp on the active/PUP list, which means redshirt freshman Oday Aboushi will get the bulk of first-team reps. Ryan praised Aboushi during offseason workouts, but playtime in shorts is officially over. Let’s see how the second-year lineman does when the intensity is ratcheted up. Left guard Brian Winters also needs to get off on the right foot after a disappointing rookie season. Most importantly, Colon needs to return, because there’s little depth up front.
    LOL @ daily snooze. Every one of their bullet points except #5 is needlessly phrased to the negative.

Is the Kamp Reporting Legend in action today?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Richardson looks to have lost some weight/ be in better shape
    quicker...

If I was ever a football coach, and one of my players brought in food from Subway, I'd run him until he puked. Athletes are supposed to have PERFECT diets. Take away that crap food and give him eggs and tuna.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post

"Holding out was never an option for me,” Wilkerson said. “I'm one of the leaders on this team. That wouldn't be a good thing to do. That's not the way a leader should lead his team. On the business side of things, everything will be handled when the time comes. Right now, if anybody has any other contract questions, I would say [Jets general manager] John Idzik is the man to ask."
    right way to handle things. too bad that other guy was not like this

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by CnPBrah View Post
    If I was ever a football coach, and one of my players brought in food from Subway, I'd run him until he puked. Athletes are supposed to have PERFECT diets. Take away that crap food and give him eggs and tuna.
    Wut?

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    right way to handle things. too bad that other guy was not like this
    Wilk mentioned he's a LEADER of this TEAM, two words not in Revis' vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by Cablebob View Post
    Wut?
    I'm saying that Subway subs should not be in an NFL player's diet.

Jets Insider VIP
    This just in: Hitman Harris in the ER for uncontrollable boner pants.

- Watching players walk out to to the field. Saw @AntwanBarnes42 in shells with team .. did he pass his conditioning test?

(he did, Brian Bassett...)

- On a beautiful day in Cortland, the Jets are taking the field for training camp practice #1

All Pro
    WOOOOOOO football time!!!!!!!!!!!!!