Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Jason Babin a locker room cancer?

Veteran

Is Jason Babin a locker room cancer?

Who Are the New York Jets Getting in Jason Babin?
    By Ryan Alfieri , Featured Columnist Jul 24, 2014

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-new-york-jets

The Risk

Assuming Rex Ryan is smart enough to keep Babin off the field on run downs, the biggest risk that comes with Babin is his character.

Babin's ability as a pass-rusher has allowed him to enjoy a 10-year career, but there is a reason why he will be playing for his seventh team this year—he can only be used in a limited role and, at least according to some, is a less-than-stellar character to have in the locker room.

The timing of his release with the Eagles, which came soon after a locker room rift with other veterans went public, suggests that Babin is only tolerable if he produces sacks on the field (Babin had 5.5 sacks at the time of his release). Even the Philadelphia beat was glad to see Babin go, wishing him well with a strong hint of sarcasm.

Since making a mistake with Mike Goodson last offseason, John Idzik has been careful not to bring in any less-than-stellar characters into his building. Barnes' injury forced Idzik's hand to roll the dice on a questionable character in Babin, but for the role he will play on the team as the primary third-down pass-rusher, the risk will likely be worth the return in production.

Only time will tell whether or not Babin becomes an egg in the locker room or buys into Ryan's loose atmosphere to flourish in New York. If Babin can stay in line and perform up to his capabilities, his presence could be exactly what the Jets need to get their defense back into the "elite" category, where Rex Ryan's defenses have become accustomed to residing.
    Last edited by rick34125; 07-25-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Not a long term commitment or alot of money. If he becomes more of a problem than he is worth they can drop him at the curb.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Was it ever announced how much he got?

All League
    I just posted this article in the other Babin thread, out of all that analysis you decided to take the last snippet at the end and turn it into a negative thread topic??

Way to put a Dick Cimini negative twist on a decent article.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Talk about cherry picking

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Was it ever announced how much he got?
    The only thing I know for sure is that it is essentially a one year deal.

The 2nd year is just a team option which obviously, they don't have to exercise.

Other then that, I haven't seen any numbers yet.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I just posted this article in the other Babin thread, out of all that analysis you decided to take the last snippet at the end and turn it into a negative thread topic??Way to put a Dick Cimini negative twist on a decent article.
    sorry, i didn't see your post, but in any case i thought this deserved it's own thread.

also, not trying to put a negative twist on the original article, but i hadn't heard anything before about babin's character issues so maybe posters familiar with him would shed some light on him.

as far as the rest of the article highlighting a bit of babin's pass rushing and run stopping ability that's fine, but in this thread i'm interested in finding out more about what kind of character he is.
    Last edited by rick34125; 07-25-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    Who Are the New York Jets Getting in Jason Babin?
    By Ryan Alfieri , Featured Columnist Jul 24, 2014

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-new-york-jets
    maybe he just realized that was totally taken out of context and was not his original intentions.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    The only thing I know for sure is that it is essentially a one year deal.

The 2nd year is just a team option which obviously, they don't have to exercise.

Other then that, I haven't seen any numbers yet.
    I doubt it is anything more than a vet minimum deal with some escalators. Vet min for a 10 year vet is around one million and will only be guaranteed if he is on the 53 man roster for opening day. There really isn't any downside to this signing at this point.

All Pro
    I just posted this article in the other Babin thread, out of all that analysis you decided to take the last snippet at the end and turn it into a negative thread topic??

Way to put a Dick Cimini negative twist on a decent article.
    The article was very balanced. This thread is certainly a negative twist. The dude is hanging on for his career with a well-established group of veterans. I expect he will be on his best behavior. If not, he won't be around for long.

Banned
    Honestly, I've always felt like this "team chemistry" stuff is extremely overrated. I don't think you have to "vibe" with or even like your teammates to succeed, as long as you produce on the field. Hell, when I was playing, I absolutely HATED the guy that played to the right of me (I was a NT, he was a DE). We got into multiple fist fights. But, when we got on the field, we both wanted to play well and win, so none of that mattered. Our "chemistry" was horrible, but it didn't matter. It never does.

If someone can't put aside personal issues on the field, they don't belong on the field in the first place.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    sorry, i didn't see your post, but in any case i thought this deserved it's own thread.

also, not trying to put a negative twist on the original article, but i hadn't heard anything before about babin's character issues so maybe posters familiar with him would shed some light on him.

as far as the rest of the article highlighting a bit of babin's pass rushing and run stopping ability that's fine, but in this thread i'm interested in finding out more about what kind of character he is.
    Fair enough if it's a genuine concern for you, it's just we blast the media for putting to much emphasis on the negative.

His character concerns make up a small percentage of this overall article, the majority of it is how he can make a positive contribution.

All Pro
    Supposedly the source of most of the issues was that he was a selfish guy looking for sacks and not playing the run (can you say Gastineau?)

Doesn't concern me that much because for us he's purely going to be a situational pass rusher on the best run defense in the league. Let him loose looking for his sacks, if he gets the numbers he'll be helping our team.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CnPBrah View Post
    Honestly, I've always felt like this "team chemistry" stuff is extremely overrated. I don't think you have to "vibe" with or even like your teammates to succeed, as long as you produce on the field. Hell, when I was playing, I absolutely HATED the guy that played to the right of me (I was a NT, he was a DE). We got into multiple fist fights. But, when we got on the field, we both wanted to play well and win, so none of that mattered. Our "chemistry" was horrible, but it didn't matter. It never does.

If someone can't put aside personal issues on the field, they don't belong on the field in the first place.

That ultimately means you have never played football before. A less talented team that works together, has a team spirit can surprise and play harder and better for eachother and the coach

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Since making a mistake with Mike Goodson last offseason, John Idzik has been careful not to bring in any less-than-stellar characters into his building
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall Babin having ever been arrested or suspended for any reason, including using banned substances.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Supposedly the source of most of the issues was that he was a selfish guy looking for sacks and not playing the run (can you say Gastineau?)

Doesn't concern me that much because for us he's purely going to be a situational pass rusher on the best run defense in the league. Let him loose looking for his sacks, if he gets the numbers he'll be helping our team.
    True. He is a low cost, low risk DPR that is insurance if Barnes doesn't make it back from injury.

Veteran
    when i read that this guy has played for 7 teams in 10 years and he's a good pass rusher, i thought something is not adding up here.

Fair enough if it's a genuine concern for you, it's just we blast the media for putting to much emphasis on the negative.

His character concerns make up a small percentage of this overall article, the majority of it is how he can make a positive contribution.

All Pro

Completely disagree - ESPECIALLY with how close our Dline group is. These guys are extremely close knit, and seem to love playing together, playing for Rex/Dunbar and helping each other succeed. I dont want a single possible problem to infect that group and if babin could be a problem he should not be here.

JetsInsider.com Legend

What team did you play for?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Particularly our defensive locker room is in excellent order ... Nothing to see here