Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are we looking at if Geno is as improved as advertised?

What are we looking at if Geno is as improved as advertised?

So far I've heard nothing but great things about Geno Smith. Bigger, faster, stronger, more in control of the huddle, more aware, more confidant, more knowledge - did I leave anything out? If Geno has taken this next step - and I mean a big step - then how good is this Jet team gonna be? Are we looking at a ten win team? I think we are.
    Geno should be in the 10-20 range of top QB's which is a nice step up from last season. Quite a few second year QB's have taken their teams far in the playoffs: Tom Brady, Big Ben, Russell Wilson, Kapernick and dare I say Mark Sanchez and probably some others. Geno is set up to have a very good season. Ten wins and playoffs are a reality for this Jet team!

If Geno is a Top 10 QB this year we win the division.

I think this is a very simple answer - we will be VERY Good.

Below is where this team finished under rex in Turnover Differential and how many wins we had.

2009: Finished 18th +1 9 Wins
    2010: Finished 8th +9 11 Wins
    2011: Finished 11th +3 8 Wins
    2012: Finished 26th -10 6 Wins
    2013: Finished 31st -13 8 Wins

To win 8 games while finishing 31st in the league in turnover differential is almost statistically impossible (the team that finished 32nd won 2 games). Our QB play over the last 5 years has KILLED our team and our defense. Constantly giving up points off turnovers and turning the ball over in the redzone. Those things make it virtually impossible to win in today's NFL.

I think it is going to be very hard to win the division without splitting the 2 games with NE and getting to 11 wins BUT, if Geno takes a step forward (20tds and 10 picks) we should absolutely make the playoffs and then anything can happen with this defense and running game.

So far I've heard nothing but great things about Geno Smith.
    One day of no-pads camp.

If Geno can be an average QB (15th or higher in production), and the Jets can field a Top 5 Defense (Opp. Scoring), we'll be a winning, playoff team.

If either doesn't happen, we're very likely to be 8-8 or worse again.

he needs to cut down on the turnovers first...that seems to be his biggest challenge...late in games he needs to focus more and be aware of the risks while still taking them...this is his second year...he should improve...

If Geno can be average, and we do a better job on ST, we could go far.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    One day of no-pads camp.
    Bigger, faster, stronger, more in control of the huddle, more aware, more confidant, more knowledgable about the offense has nothing to do with pads or how many days he's practiced. These things were pointed out at OTAs. And some of these things were obvious over the last 4 games last season.

He should get better as time moves on, should be better than a year ago.

Hopefully it extends to games.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 07-25-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Bigger, faster, stronger, more in control of the huddle, more aware, more confidant, more knowledgable about the offense has nothing to do with pads or how many days he's practiced.

Hopefully it extends to games.
    If you're judging those things on a few offseason media reports and one day of no-pads camp, you're presumptuously jumping to conclusions and slurping up PR, not facts.

The usual offseason hype & hyperbole, signifying nothing.

We'll see soon enough for ourselves, when and where it counts, on the field, if Geno is "Bigger, faster, stronger, more in control of the huddle, more aware, more confidant, more knowledgeable about the offense".

You'll forgive me if I reserve my "how far can we go" fantasies till we actually see him get through a game this year, eh?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    How well advertised has Luck been?

We win all of the divisions.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If you're judging those things on a few offseason media reports and one day of no-pads camp, you're presumptuously jumping to conclusions and slurping up PR, not facts.

The usual offseason hype & hyperbole, signifying nothing.

We'll see soon enough for ourselves, when and where it counts, on the field, if Geno is "Bigger, faster, stronger, more in control of the huddle, more aware, more confidant, more knowledgeable about the offense".

You'll forgive me if I reserve my "how far can we go" fantasies till we actually see him get through a game this year, eh?
    None of the things I mentioned have anything to do with how many days of camp have passed. These things were present at OTAs and improved as last season went on. And more than just a few media reports have mentioned this. Just about every report has.

Check out the video with David Nelson talking about Geno and the changes to his game. How far along he is compared to last season. Even the end of the season.

Does this mean he will be a top 15 QB? No but not getting how these changes can't be evident at practice.

What's the point of reading any camp reports? Every single one is a can we wait "till we actually see him get through a game this year, eh?" scenario. And if you can't get excited now when can you?

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/vi...d-b7292af2cf9e
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 07-25-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    None of the things I mentioned have anything to do with how many days of camp have passed. These things were present at OTAs and improved as last season went on.
    Really? Did you measure his biceps, armspan and hand size during the season, OTA and now in camp to confirm the "bigger"?

Did you time him running a 40 last season, in OTA and now in camp to verify "faster".

Did you quiz him on the Offense at those three points, test his IQ, have him run cones?

Of course not. You're echoing PR and Coaches fluff interview stuff, same rah rah stuff we heard every season about every bad or young QB.

For example, everything you listed was said about Sanchez before year #2 as well.

What's the point of reading any camp reports?
    Hype and hope and fan obsession, generally.

But also to see if the fluff is accurate or not.

For example, after a while if Camp reports agree Geno looks great, then the fluff may be confirmed. But not after one day ffs.

And if you can't get excited now when can you?
    When he does good things in something that matters....like a Regular Season Game, and does so consistently.

"Potential" doesn't get me aroused much, results do.
    Last edited by Warfish; 07-25-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Geno completed 70% of his passes on day 1 and 80% on day two. If this trend continues and he can maintain it he will be completing 100% of his passes by day four. If he can do this the whole season I think we will be OK.

As I said yesterday when someone was bashing the WRs, you can't judge them through a twitter feed and on the first day of camp. To be fair, you can't do this with Geno either. WE are judging him throuh a twitter feed on the second day of camp. Let's wait and see what happens after a couple pre-season games.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Really? Did you measure his biceps, armspan and hand size during the season, OTA and now in camp to confirm the "bigger"?

Did you time him running a 40 last season, in OTA and now in camp to verify "faster".

Did you quiz him on the Offense at those three points, test his IQ, have him run cones?

Of course not. You're echoing PR and Coaches fluff interview stuff, same rah rah stuff we heard every season about every bad or young QB.

For example, everything you listed was said about Sanchez before year #2 as well.

Hype and hope and fan obsession, generally.

But also to see if the fluff is accurate or not.

For example, after a while if Camp reports agree Geno looks great, then the fluff may be confirmed. But not after one day ffs.

When he does good things in something that matters....like a Regular Season Game, and does so consistently.

"Potential" doesn't get me aroused much, results do.
    Thanks, Fish. My corn fake taste like you pee'd in em.

Quote Originally Posted by BURGERMIKE View Post
    Thanks, Fish. My corn fake taste like you pee'd in em.
    If your optimism was based entirely on a few Coach fluff-comments and the usual offseason propaganda, it was misplaced optimism to start with.

If it's based, for example, on the past two days of KRL Camp Reports, that's still not a huge sample-size for basis, but it's better than all the offseason fluff.

I'm not saying don't have optimism. I have plenty for 2014.

I'm saying don't start writing checks for postseason home games before our QB has made a single throw in anger vs. an opponent in preseason!

If Geno is improved as advertised lock this team in for the playoffs.. Could be looking at a division title

All League
    If the Defense comes as expected, and Geno is statistically in the Top 20 for QBs this year, the Jets are a playoff team. Not a high bar.

Hoping for "Top 10", or anything beyond is WAY premature. Just top 20. Thats all he has to be this year. If he isn't, then its Uh-Oh time anyway.

Hopefully the O-Line is good enough to keep him clean enough to demonstrate this alleged improvement on the field this year.....

Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Geno completed 70% of his passes on day 1 and 80% on day two. If this trend continues and he can maintain it he will be completing 100% of his passes by day four. If he can do this the whole season I think we will be OK.
    in past camps Sanchez would complete less than 60% in practice. should be a high percentage in practice then 60% during the season

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    in past camps Sanchez would complete less than 60% in practice. should be a high percentage in practice then 60% during the season
    lmao ouch. looking at stats like that, how could people possibly have thought that Sanchez was a franchise QB? was it just false hope and optimism on our part?