Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: What are we looking at if Geno is as improved as advertised?

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    To win 8 games while finishing 31st in the league in turnover differential is almost statistically impossible (the team that finished 32nd won 2 games). Our QB play over the last 5 years has KILLED our team and our defense. Constantly giving up points off turnovers and turning the ball over in the redzone. Those things make it virtually impossible to win in today's NFL.
    Absolutely freakin' correct. Getting this team to 8 wins last year, including wins against the Pats and Saints, is the best coaching job Rex has ever done. For once, FOR ONCE, I'd like to see a Rex Ryan team with good QB play.

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    if Geno takes a step forward (20tds and 10 picks) we should absolutely make the playoffs and then anything can happen with this defense and running game.
    If we get 20 TD's and 10 picks from the QB position...regardless of who it's from...this team will win 12 games. Hands down.

  2. #22
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,149
    If Geno plays good football, we can be an 11 win team and get the WC. And we can win a game or 2 pending who we match up with in the playoffs.

  3. #23
    Crazy how low the expectations are for this guy...

    You know we will land our long-term franchise QB as soon as Rex is gone and our D goes to ****.

  4. #24
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    4,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monster View Post
    lmao ouch. looking at stats like that, how could people possibly have thought that Sanchez was a franchise QB? was it just false hope and optimism on our part?
    Because he was the starting QB of a team that went to the AFCCG his first two years in the league and tied some kind of record for Playoff Road wins, thats why CnPBrah.

  5. #25
    I still think drafting Geno was a waste of a pick, but maybe history will prove me wrong.

    I think the Jets are actually in a really good position otherwise, and I think your team is going to be a lot better this year than last, but I also think that's going to be off set by the strength of your schedule, so even though you're going to be better, I don't think your final record is going to really reflect it.

  6. #26
    day 2 ... no pads ... no rush ... no real opponent ...

    ... but if he is as good as advertised ...

    19-0 ... Super Bowl

  7. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I still think drafting Geno was a waste of a pick, but maybe history will prove me wrong.

    I think the Jets are actually in a really good position otherwise, and I think your team is going to be a lot better this year than last, but I also think that's going to be off set by the strength of your schedule, so even though you're going to be better, I don't think your final record is going to really reflect it.
    As much as I disagree with everything you said in the Brady thread, I agree with you here. But way to early to tell.

    I'm waiting for a few preseason games to assess how Geno looks. He has to have improved because he can't possibly have gotten any worse from last season.

  8. #28
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Bigger, faster, stronger, more in control of the huddle, more aware, more confidant, more knowledgable about the offense has nothing to do with pads or how many days he's practiced. These things were pointed out at OTAs. And some of these things were obvious over the last 4 games last season.
    He should get better as time moves on, should be better than a year ago.
    Hopefully it extends to games.
    +1

    It's all for naught if he doesn't improve reading D's on the fly. However, the O is being built to allow Geno to manage the game and to help him succeed.

    I think we're gonna find out quickly with him. I think he has an excellent shot to succeed. I'd love to see him stick it to all the naysayers.

    They'll be no waiting four years to see if Geno can start up the curve and be a franchise QB, like the last guy. Geno's got it all over him anyway..imho

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Really? Did you measure his biceps, armspan and hand size during the season, OTA and now in camp to confirm the "bigger"?

    Did you time him running a 40 last season, in OTA and now in camp to verify "faster".

    Did you quiz him on the Offense at those three points, test his IQ, have him run cones?

    Of course not. You're echoing PR and Coaches fluff interview stuff, same rah rah stuff we heard every season about every bad or young QB.

    For example, everything you listed was said about Sanchez before year #2 as well.



    Hype and hope and fan obsession, generally.

    But also to see if the fluff is accurate or not.

    For example, after a while if Camp reports agree Geno looks great, then the fluff may be confirmed. But not after one day ffs.



    When he does good things in something that matters....like a Regular Season Game, and does so consistently.

    "Potential" doesn't get me aroused much, results do.

    Hype and fan obsession? Is that the SOJF point of view of someone who is just rehashing what everyone is saying? Oh wait, reports don't count, I need to measure his biceps, find his 40 times etc, for some unknown reason. Because nothing I said had anything to do with bicep sizes or 40 times. How about this, you take a look at any picture of Geno from OTAs and camp and tell me if he looks different. Or you can just measure his biceps I guess. But I guess with this info somehow we will really know if hes improved, because anything written thats positive is a "fluff piece" some nonsense that you can shoo off. Every report is from the coaching staff? Really? Given your posts, why are you here in the offseason? Whats the point of coming here and telling everyone that everything they hear is wrong or meaningless until regular season games start. Really, you find it odd that fans are excited this time of the year? Jet fans in particular?

    You could kill a wet dream....

  10. #30
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,328
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post

    They'll be no waiting four years to see if Geno can start up the curve and be a franchise QB
    agreed!

    we will know by the end of 2014 at the latest if Geno is legit ... most likely by the midpoint.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,455
    It's too early to get that excited about Geno, but if he's a good QB instead of the average QB I expect him to be this year, we are looking at 10-12 wins instead of 8-10.....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #32
    Geno has had a good first 2 days of practice. But, these are an extension of OTA's. We need to wait for pads.

    Tomorrow we will see some contact. The D will be at an entirely new level. If the O continues to shine against a Rex D, then we are on to something.

    OBTW, the good press for Milliner, Pryor and McDougle certainly sets the possibility that Geno will have to face the toughest D he will see all year.

  13. #33
    This is obviously a hypothetical. I don't think most people assume he's going to be great just based on these two days, but there is atleast hope.

    If he does improve, and takes that step forward, then I think we're a serious contender for a playoff spot. I'm not sure we're ready for the division yet, because the Pats defense improved IMO with the Revis/Browner acquisitions, so I think they will be better this year, and Brady is still Brady. He's done it for enough years in a row now that I'm not going to assume him falling off too much until he does so. However, an improved Geno gives us a great shot in every game, and we have a young team that should get better as the season goes on.

    One thing that he has going in his favor, we start out facing a gauntlet of stud QBs, but also face a ton of bad secondaries.

    Oakland had one of the worst secondaries last year, and regardless of what pops up in 90210's optimism, they may even regress this year, with Hayden already injured.
    Packers were ranked near the bottom for the secondary as well, although Ha-Ha should help out this year. But I don't think he's going to carry that defense alone.
    Bears were another team that was ranked below average in pass coverage, the addition of Fuller should help, but CBs have a steep learning curve the first year.
    Lions were one of the worst last year, and I don't think they improved much in the secondary this year.
    Chargers were one of the worst in the secondary last year, but did sign Flowers this year, so they should improve a bit more.

    I think the opening 5 games there allows Geno some opportunity to build up some confidence as well, and put up some stats. The games will be tough because of the talent on the other side of the ball in those games, but if Geno improves, we could be seeing 5 very close games. And how we break from those 5 games will most likely determine how the rest of the season goes. If we can come out with 3 wins from those 5, then we should be sitting pretty for the playoffs.

  14. #34
    Aren't you paying Vik 5 million or is that wrong? I forget. That signing was awhile ago.
    I can't imagine Geno is going to have a very long leesh if his back up is making that kind of money.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    If Geno plays good football, we can be an 11 win team and get the WC. And we can win a game or 2 pending who we match up with in the playoffs.
    I want you to answer this.

    Who will beat us IF we get to the playoffs?

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    agreed!

    we will know by the end of 2014 at the latest if Geno is legit ... most likely by the midpoint.
    YEP!

    By the bye week we will know if we finally have a franchise QB or not.

    I'm pretty damn optimistic about Geno, WAY more than I ever was with Sanchez. One looks like a football player, the other does not. Simple as that to me.
    And Geno has a ridiculous work ethic. He's fkin determined

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Really? Did you measure his biceps, armspan and hand size during the season, OTA and now in camp to confirm the "bigger"?

    Did you time him running a 40 last season, in OTA and now in camp to verify "faster".

    Did you quiz him on the Offense at those three points, test his IQ, have him run cones?

    Of course not. You're echoing PR and Coaches fluff interview stuff, same rah rah stuff we heard every season about every bad or young QB.

    For example, everything you listed was said about Sanchez before year #2 as well.



    Hype and hope and fan obsession, generally.

    But also to see if the fluff is accurate or not.

    For example, after a while if Camp reports agree Geno looks great, then the fluff may be confirmed. But not after one day ffs.



    When he does good things in something that matters....like a Regular Season Game, and does so consistently.

    "Potential" doesn't get me aroused much, results do.
    Omg youre a really, really annoying poster

  18. #38
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Aren't you paying Vik 5 million or is that wrong? I forget. That signing was awhile ago.
    I can't imagine Geno is going to have a very long leesh if his back up is making that kind of money.
    Wrong..... they are paying him $4 million, which is pretty close to standard for a backup QB --- especially one with his history of play.

  19. #39
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I still think drafting Geno was a waste of a pick, but maybe history will prove me wrong.

    I think the Jets are actually in a really good position otherwise, and I think your team is going to be a lot better this year than last, but I also think that's going to be off set by the strength of your schedule, so even though you're going to be better, I don't think your final record is going to really reflect it.
    So, Geno was a waste of a pick? A starting QB, in the 2nd round, is a waste? Pretty moronic, even for a Patsy troll. I admit, it's not as "genius" as taking a couple of backup QBs in the 2nd/3rd rounds, but I wouldn't call it a wasted pick.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Hype and fan obsession? Is that the SOJF point of view of someone who is just rehashing what everyone is saying? Oh wait, reports don't count, I need to measure his biceps, find his 40 times etc, for some unknown reason. Because nothing I said had anything to do with bicep sizes or 40 times. How about this, you take a look at any picture of Geno from OTAs and camp and tell me if he looks different. Or you can just measure his biceps I guess. But I guess with this info somehow we will really know if hes improved, because anything written thats positive is a "fluff piece" some nonsense that you can shoo off. Every report is from the coaching staff? Really? Given your posts, why are you here in the offseason? Whats the point of coming here and telling everyone that everything they hear is wrong or meaningless until regular season games start. Really, you find it odd that fans are excited this time of the year? Jet fans in particular?

    You could kill a wet dream....
    You're right.

    Clearly there is no place for rational thought in Fandom.

    I should be like everyone else and just be over the top optimisitic.

    Ok, 15-1 is possible with the new and improved Super-Geno, Super Bowl too. Book it.

    There you go. Am I allowed to keep posting now?

    /shrug

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us