Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camp reports on Amaro welcome

Camp reports on Amaro welcome

While I know you can't just a book by the cover, looking at pictures from camp show me a pudgy guy that looks like he's never seen a weight room?
    He doesn't look strong to me, yes he's big, but he has zero definition.
    I hope he completely turns my notion on its head but he just looks doofy to me. For those of you at camp keep feeding the info back to us JIers.
    We need this 2nd rounder to shine after not getting much from Hill so far.

Yeah seriously. The guy needs to do some crunches or he'll never be productive.

All Pro
    From Daryl Slater's column in the Newark Star-Ledger:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ning_camp.html

6. Jace Amaro had an atypical so-so practice. In addition to the drop, Amaro also was stripped of a pass after making a catch. But coach Rex Ryan is not getting down on his rookie tight end, who is a valuable receiving threat, in the slot or split out wide.

Hes caught the ball well other days, Ryan said. He gives you a guy that can run after the catch. I think hes going to be a big weapon for us. There are a lot of things you can do with him. The flexibility that that can bring us I think will be great.

Said Amaro: Of course you want to come out here and make every catch. Some of them are tough catches, but Marty (Mornhinweg, the offensive coordinator) is expecting me to make all those catches. Thats why I got drafted here, to catch the ball. Im expecting to do it. I know Ive still got to get chemistry with the quarterbacks, feeling them out. I feel a lot more comfortable running routes. I feel like Ive gotten open a lot easier these past two days than I did in the spring and in minicamp. I feel good about that portion.

(Mornhinweg) came up to me and told me he expects me to catch every ball. Thats the expectation for myself, too. I know I can catch every single ball thrown. Its just a matter me focusing and doing it.

Camp reports on Amaro welcome

I haven't before heard anyone criticize his fitness. I'm not sure what you think is wrong with his body type, players usually add a little muscle mass during their first NFL summer and he seems to be at good progression with that.

There are physical freak TE's like Vernon Davis, and then there are guys with a slightly more normal body type who play like freaks. I don't think muscle definition alone will define the type of player Amaro will become.

Anyway I'm not at camp but I've devoured all the reports so far: it seems like he still has a ways to go in terms of game speed and playbook. No complaints about pudginess that I've read.

So......you are saying we got a chubby? That's what boner pants are for!!!

Veteran
    I kept a close eye on him yesterday at practice. To me he looks ok. You can tell the ability for him to be really good is there. I think things are just moving really fast right now. Give him time to settle in. With Cumberland around and Sudfeld (who looked good to me yesterday), Amaro doesnt have to be any kind of a savior. We can bring him along slow and let him develop. No need to put extra pressure on him now.

All Pro
    ???

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    While I know you can't just a book by the cover, looking at pictures from camp show me a pudgy guy that looks like he's never seen a weight room?
    I hope he completely turns my notion on its head but he just looks doofy to me. For those of you at camp keep feeding the info back to us JIers.
    Works for this guy....

P.S. Really? LOL @ OP

Yeah, what a fat ass....

Bewildered Beast
    How's his body language?

Laugh at me all you want I just don't think the guy looks as strong & athletic as he should for a pro TE.
    Looks soft!
    We'll see what happens, I've already said I hope he succeeds.

Rookie
    Laugh at me all you want I just don't think the guy looks as strong & athletic as he should for a pro TE.
    Looks soft!
    He'll be okay. It's a big jump for all rookies. He's making a transition that is very difficult. By year two most of them change their bodies after a year in an NFL training regimen.
    They guy's fine tho.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Looks soft!

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    I haven't before heard anyone criticize his fitness. I'm not sure what you think is wrong with his body type, players usually add a little muscle mass during their first NFL summer and he seems to be at good progression with that.

There are physical freak TE's like Vernon Davis, and then there are guys with a slightly more normal body type who play like freaks. I don't think muscle definition alone will define the type of player Amaro will become.

Anyway I'm not at camp but I've devoured all the reports so far: it seems like he still has a ways to go in terms of game speed and playbook. No complaints about pudginess that I've read.
    i remember reading about him either at the senior bowl or combine and it specifically mentioned ha he looked a little 'soft' compared to some of the other prospects so it has been mentioned...wouldn't worry though I'drather draft a football player not a bodybuilder...Gholston was chiselled out of granite

Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Works for this guy....

P.S. Really? LOL @ OP

Yeah, what a fat ass....

Witten was my first thought when reading the OP as well.

I'm way more concerned about the drops than the physical appearance. One of the best basketball players of the 80s and 90s was a twinkie-eating fat boy that was quicker and stronger than almost anyone at his position.

As long as Amaro develops into a 70-catch guy as advertised, I don't care if he models his figure after Christian Bale in American Hustle.

Bewildered Beast
    Looks soft!
    Take off that jersey, Sally. You are looking good with your insight. Not looking good with those tears.

HUT!

Amaro has a big hill to climb. Besides a pro play book, he has to learn blocking and how to be an in-line TE. All the time he spent split out in college will slow his transition to the pros.

My point is, we should expect some growing pains in the first couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Take off that jersey, Sally. You are looking good with your insight. Not looking good with those tears.

HUT!
    Oops, sorry, I forgot that on JI we can't have a negative thought regarding the team, or individual players or you get people jumping all up in your face, carry on, kumbaya.

In other dreamy football player news...

LOOK AT THOSE ARMS! THOSE ARE ELITE MUSCLES!

Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com
    Please stop worrying about rookie tight end Jace Amaro
    Today Amaro addressed the media after practice and fielded a number of questions. I had one that I really cared about getting an answer to, which was “how much of what your role on a play is contingent on what you read from the defense?”
    Amaro’s response was instantaneous and that on “every play” that is in fact the case.
    This only plays into our assumption that Amaro is taking on the “F” receiver role for this offense, which this year will be a new wrinkle thanks to Amaro and his skill set. We’ve written extensively about the F receiver and 12 packages, but the simple version is that Amaro represents the pivot point for this offense when he’s on the field. It will be his job to read what the defense is set up for and to react accordingly and run the right route or take on the right responsibility according to the defense.

Amaro comes from a role at Texas Tech where he was deployed in a dead-simple spread offense and had little distinction in his role based on situational football. Doing what he is now being asked to do for Marty Mornhinweg is the antithesis of what he did at Texas Tech. We fully expect that he will adjust in time, but worry that early overanalyzing of his plays and missteps on his part or someone else’s (which was the case on his bobbled pass today) might not get him off on the right foot with folks who follow the team.

As a blocker, he got a long way to refine his technique. There were plays on some edge sealing blocks where his hands were out of position which could bring flags.
    Amaro is going to be productive for this team in time, but TE is a role that can take at least a year or two to reach peak productivity for young players.
    http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/what-i...nse-day-one-2/

Bassett's right - don't expect much from Amaro this year

Looks soft!
    Silly to judge based on looks, has very little do with performance, skill and athleticism.
    Go watch his college tape, the thing most scouts say they liked in addition to his ability to get open, was how tough he was to tackle.

Also note, his soft/out of shape ass did somehow manage 28 reps of 225 at the combine... Which is pretty flat out great for a TE his height/size + shows he's no stranger to the weight room.