Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camp reports on Amaro welcome

Hopefully nothing serious:

Chris Lopresti ‏@CLoprestiWFAN 7m
    More
    Amaro seems to be walking OK. The fact that he's staying out here is a good sign that it's not too serious. #NYJ

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Old Joe View Post
    Oooh. I read that some are claiming it isn't serious. We'll see. Was it during the punt protection formation? Just kidding!
    At least Sasquatch is having a huge day.
    Time will tell, but it does not sound too serious

Chris Lopresti ‏@CLoprestiWFAN 8m
    Amaro seems to be walking OK. The fact that he's staying out here is a good sign that it's not too serious. #NYJ

Chris Nimbley ‏@Cnimbley 8m
    Break time, Amaro is back out on the field seems to walking fine. We'll see if he actually practices

Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Time will tell, but it does not sound too serious

Chris Lopresti ‏@CLoprestiWFAN 8m

Chris Nimbley ‏@Cnimbley 8m
    Break time, Amaro is back out on the field seems to walking fine. We'll see if he actually practices
    Good news

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Good news
    Yup, with a day off tomorrow, hopefully he will be ready to go on Tuesday.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    this thread and the Decker/WR responsibilities thread should be read side-by-side. Amaro's body is one thing. he's still a young kid that's not quite yet in his physical prime. maybe that will come by season's end, or the beginning of next season. the biggest hurdle for him isn't his body. it's learning the concept of the offense and mastering it. understanding his role, understanding how to read the defense and adjust his route, and getting in the same frame of mind as Geno and the rest of the receivers. like the article in the Decker thread states, Marty's system gives the receivers a ton of freedom to adjust their routes based on the given defense. this is new to Amaro so it will take time for him to become fluent. i wouldn't expect him to produce a lot early in the year. look for a significant amount of his production to be 'chunk' plays where he's among the last of Geno's progressions, where he's mostly using his body and not his mind to get open.
    I d think Decker was going to be the most important signing in recent history. Contrary to the opinion that Decker is not even a true #1, I think he is, and not only that, but I believe he'll raise most of the other receivers a level, and become indispensable to Geno's development.
    People instinctively view things in the worst possible light. What I mean is that yes Peyton was responsible for making Decker what he is, but he's not going to revert back to what he was.
    Peyton is not a physical freak QB. It's mostly his poise, preparation, and technique that makes him a great QB.
    He makes the players around him better, and they retain that. That's not just a theory. It has been proven. Just look at the success of Manning's previous receivers post Manning.
    Looking at players like Hilton, and Reggie Wayne you see what learning from Peyton has meant for their next QBs. Decker is even smarter, more selfless, and affable than they are, and he will almost certainly make all his teammates better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
    That is not a picture of a guy I would point out for poor conditioning. If anything, he looks fast with more than adequate strength. Jimmy Graham is not a Gronkowski-like physical specimen, but will light you up in the seam after the catch.
    What do you mean Jimmy Graham isn't a physical specimen like Gronkowski? He's a better physical specimen than Gronkowski. He's over 6'6", runs a 4.53 and has a 39" vertical at 260+ pounds.

If anything, Amaro is a similar athlete to Gronkowski. Gronkowski is slightly faster, but Amaro is bulkier than Gronkowski. Amaro is an inch shorter than Gronkowski and carrying 10 more pounds. I'm sure if he shed a couple of those pounds, he'd be a little faster.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    What do you mean Jimmy Graham isn't a physical specimen like Gronkowski? He's a better physical specimen than Gronkowski. He's over 6'6", runs a 4.53 and has a 39" vertical at 260+ pounds.

If anything, Amaro is a similar athlete to Gronkowski. Gronkowski is slightly faster, but Amaro is bulkier than Gronkowski. Amaro is an inch shorter than Gronkowski and carrying 10 more pounds. I'm sure if he shed a couple of those pounds, he'd be a little faster.
    You think he's bulkier than Gronk? I'd say he's closer to Pitta but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    28 with 34 inch arms. how long are your arms?
    18 inches

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    18 inches
    sorry. Must be a ***** trying to reach your pockets.

Good news on Amaro:
    Dan Leberfeld ‏@jetswhispers 12m

Amaro (knee) said he will be back at practice Tuesday. Amaro still did his post practice ritual today catching 150 balls on the JUGS Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Old Joe View Post
    You think he's bulkier than Gronk? I'd say he's closer to Pitta but I could be wrong.
    Amaro: 6'5", 265lbs, 4.74

Gronk: 6'6", 258lbs, 4.68

Amaro is definitely bulkier than Gronk. That probably accounts for the slight difference in speed.

I'm built like a tyrannosaurus Rex.
    Reaching Toilet papers a b*tch too.

He's going to contribute this year.
    That doesn't mean he'll necessarily start at TE. or be used as an inline blocker.
    If we use him as a short yardage threat, and a move blocker while he learns that will be a great contribution.

I would add that my guess is that he will progress enough to end up getting about 50% of the snaps. Many of those in two TE sets.
    I'm hopeful that he has the temperament, and the body type to become a very effective inline blocker which would make him fairly unique as a true blocking, and receiving TE. This would almost certainly take a couple years, and will lead to him often looking bad in practice.

He was asked specifically the percentage of snaps that the defense determined his route, and he said 100%. Most TEs in our offense would run about 30% option routes.
    This means they're using him as an "F" TE
    That will also lead him to look inconsistent early in camp.

It looks like they are hoping Sasquatch can handle the inline blocking role for year 2, while still being an above average receiver, or they will have to pick up a more conventional blocker.

This is one position, as is CB, and WR that could potentially become outstanding, or could be remain maddeningly inconsistent.

I love Idzik's philosophy of filling positions with high motor, high ceiling competition.
    If it doesn't pan out for all the positions this year it will eventually.
    Anyone that says Idzik has proved nothing yet, really has no grasp of what makes a successful franchise. The whole world is emotional, and reactionary, and 90% of NFL GMs are no different.
    Seeing my favorite non personal thing in the world being run rationally, and deliberately, is really wearing out my boner pants.

Couldn't agree more....draft time is always an interesting time largely because it shines a light on the fact that people inside the nfl are often not as savvy as you'd expect and that intelligence and having a plan are not a given

Jets Insider VIP
    Cimini, of course, put a much more negative spin on Amaro's knee:

Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reports that Amaro hurt his right knee during 7-on-7 drills and received attention from the team’s trainers. He had the knee wrapped with ice and, per Cimini, “struggled to put weight” on the knee when trying to jog and attempt a few cuts after leaving practice.

​Sounds completely different than the other report.

color me unimpressed on amaro-he is a project -I fear he will be another jets TE that failed to meet expectations-kyle brady, johnny mitchell anthony becht-

Banned

Amaro is definitely bulkier than Gronk. That probably accounts for the slight difference in speed.
    Thanks for the proof. From my memory, Gronk seems more cut and looks bigger/stronger. Amaro will get there.

Banned
    ...or tie your shoes...or scratch your back...or wipe yourself...

His 28 reps on bench at the combine was very impressive. He is a strong dude.

All Pro

Jeez, I had no idea he was THAT big.

All Pro
    I d think Decker was going to be the most important signing in recent history. Contrary to the opinion that Decker is not even a true #1, I think he is, and not only that, but I believe he'll raise most of the other receivers a level, and become indispensable to Geno's development.
    People instinctively view things in the worst possible light. What I mean is that yes Peyton was responsible for making Decker what he is, but he's not going to revert back to what he was.
    Peyton is not a physical freak QB. It's mostly his poise, preparation, and technique that makes him a great QB.
    He makes the players around him better, and they retain that. That's not just a theory. It has been proven. Just look at the success of Manning's previous receivers post Manning.
    Looking at players like Hilton, and Reggie Wayne you see what learning from Peyton has meant for their next QBs. Decker is even smarter, more selfless, and affable than they are, and he will almost certainly make all his teammates better.
    Garcon just had a pretty good year in DC as well...

Agree 100% Decker will produce for us....Manning made him a better player..