Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darrelle Revis admits he wanted a NY Jets reunion

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Post Darrelle Revis admits he wanted a NY Jets reunion

At Harrier's request:

Darrelle Revis admits he wanted a NY Jets reunion, but new Patriots cornerback says there are no hard feelings

After the Bucs cut him in March, Revis had his agent reach out to the Jets to initiate a reunion: The Jets were not interested and he signed with the New England Patriots.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Published: Friday, July 25, 2014, 2:55 PM

FOXBOROUGH — It’s been four months now, and he’s all-in with the Patriots, but only after Darrelle Revis gave it his best shot and was rejected in his attempt to bring Revis Island back to the Jets.

It’s hard to get used to seeing Revis wearing Patriots colors — it’s been an adjustment for him, too — but he admitted to the Daily News on Friday that after the Bucs cut him in March, he had his agent reach out to the Jets to initiate a reunion.

The Jets were not interested, and Revis signed with New England.

Sources told The News in March that Revis’ first choice was to come back to the Jets.

“You know, that was a possibility,” Revis told The News after doing a group interview.

Was he disappointed the Jets had no interest?

“I wasn’t disappointed about that,” he said.

Did he think too much had gone on with Jets management — he had long, bitter holdouts in 2007 and 2010 — to make a return feasible when his agent called?

“It really doesn’t matter,” he said. “It’s an organization. They are going to run it how they want to run it and choose who they want to choose. There’s no hard feelings. You got to move on.”

AP Tough for Jets fans to see Darrelle Revis in a Patriots uniform, but he's a huge hit in New England.

Ultimately, there were about 20 teams that had some degree of interest. New England had the best package: $12 million for 2014, a chance to play with Tom Brady and a legitimate opportunity for Revis to get to his first Super Bowl. Because New England will not pick up his $20 million option for 2015, Revis will be in position to be a free agent again.

What’s not to like about that deal?

“I just wanted to pick the best situation for me,” he said. “I felt New England was the best situation for me.” (Classic Mevis)

Revis has transitioned to the other side of the most bitter rivalry in the NFL. When you’re a Jet, you hate the Patriots. When you’re a Patriot, you hate the Jets.

“I know it’s a rivalry. My focus is to just go out there and play,” he said. “I'm not trying to get back at anybody. It is what it is. New York was great to me during the time I was there. You got to move on. Tampa was great to me when I was in Tampa for the year. Now New England is being great to me as well.” (Tampa was so great to him they cut him after just one season, LOL.)

During the group interview, Revis said the fans at Patriots camp — they get about 8,000 per day — have been “awesome” to him, but “it’s been kind of weird in a way. I’m a Patriot now. That’s how things go. You just got to roll with it. They accepted me.”

Why has it been weird, he was asked?

“We all know that,” he said laughing. “Because I was on the other side with another team — with a rival. But I’m here now.”

Revis tore his ACL in the Jets’ third game of the 2012 season. Although he played in every game for Tampa last year, he never felt right. Now, he says, he’s in the best shape of his career, and his left knee feels as good as it did before he tore the ACL.

“They say it takes a year and a half or two. I think I’m at a point now where I’m there. I’m back to where I can move around a little bit better,” he said.

“Last year was really tough coming off the injury, even though I played in all 16 games. But it was just tough. I wasn’t where I needed to be. Now I’m a little bit more excited. I feel butterflies more. I’m just ready.”

Last offseason, he was rehabbing. This year, he was working out. If he’s back to being the Revis of old, then the Patriots got themselves the best cornerback in the league.

Revis quickly has become a team leader. He works out in Phoenix in the offseason and had several of his teammates join him there. He has been accepted by the players, has been building a strong relationship with Bill Belichick and is glad he and Brady will “have the same color jersey on Sunday. It’s awesome.”

Two years ago, he called Belichick a jerk. Now they are best buds.

“Our relationship is great,” Revis said. “We communicate well. Bill is open to anything. Being on the other side, you look at him totally different. But being here, he’s open to anything, and our friendship is great.”

Belichick calls all the shots with the Patriots. He wanted Revis and got him signed. Rex Ryan very much wanted to bring Revis back, but he doesn’t have final say. “He’s the head coach. That’s his title,” Revis said.

Revis attempted to dismiss the mental adjustment from switching sides in the rivalry by saying, “It doesn’t matter what color you got on. I always look at it as long as I’m playing the game that I love, it really doesn’t matter. I was on that side. You’re not supposed to like your rival no matter where you play. I’m here now. All that is in the past. Right now, I’m a Patriot. I’m excited to be here.”

He wanted to be a Jet again. There’s always next year.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz38aDS8MO5
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-26-2014 at 10:29 AM.

All Pro
    Yawn!!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    He wanted to be a Jet again. There’s always next year.
    No thanks- next year Milliner and McDougle will be keeping his roster spots warm until he retires.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    No thanks- next year Milliner and McDougle will be keeping his roster spots warm until he retires.
    Absolutely correct.

All League
    quite honestly, Revis rarely crosses my mind anymore. I hated seeing him leave, but I could care less now. I like where this team is headed.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    he could of been a household name, instead he's one of those players who will go team to team for years.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    quite honestly, Revis rarely crosses my mind anymore. I hated seeing him leave, but I could care less now. I like where this team is headed.
    This.

Veteran
    Not in this life time, too many bridges burned to make that journey possible. We need more players like big Mo and his out look on his contract. "I'm a team leader and holding out was not an option". This man you pay without question and make him a Jet until he retires. Mevis on the other hand is, "screw the team, I have to be paid better then anyone else, or I refuse to play".
    No doubt he is a very good player and could have been legend here. For a few extra million less, he could have retired a Jet and been honored for the rest of his life by Jets fans

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    he could of been a household name, instead he's one of those players who will go team to team for years.
    Could've went down as one of the greatest for this team or even at his position alone. But like you said, he'd rather just be greedy and bounce around each year collecting checks. I'm glad Idzik said thanks but no thanks.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Bottom line....He knows he f-ed up, and misses what was HIS team.

Now his only choice, is to play against us. F-him. He and Brady together, perfect. May the football gods and the turf monster come visit those two soon.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Bottom line....He knows he f-ed up, and misses what was HIS team.

Now his only choice, is to play against us. F-him. He and Brady together, perfect. May the football gods and the turf monster come visit those two soon.
    Well said Jon.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Richardson (who we got for him) is younger, cheaper and more valuable. The Jets played it just right.

That ship has sailed. Too much money to tie up in a CB who would likely hold out first chance he gets anyway.

All League
    Prediction: no national news outlets will pick up this story. It contradicts the trope that Revis "spurned" the Jets.

All Pro
    Who's Darrelle Revis?

All Pro
    So much rationalization. Of course it 'doesn't matter'. Because they rejected YOU, fool! Mercenary players rarely seem to pick the right (super bowl winning or even contending) team. The best revenge will be getting to the Super Bowl without him and him watching it on his TV. The bestest TV money can buy with all those extra millions.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 07-26-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Veteran
    Revis was on his way to having his number retired.. I just can't wrap my head around how some guys don't get the big picture.. he would have been very valuable as a retired alumni.. made tons more money after his playing days..

"F" it... who wants to go down as a worshipped legend, when you can make a few extra bucks trying to fit into other teams schemes purely on reputation..

All League
    end of story

Undrafted Free Agent
    This is why I hope his Uncle Sean does not replace DeMaurice Smith as Player Rep. He'll shut down an entire season.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Could've went down as one of the greatest for this team or even at his position alone. But like you said, he'd rather just be greedy and bounce around each year collecting checks. I'm glad Idzik said thanks but no thanks.

Hall Of Fame
    I think it was an ownership decision and IMO a blunder. When you consider our need, cap space and the deal he signed it would have been a perfect fit. And I don't even like Revis, couldn't wait to trade him bcz of the yearly holdout bullsh*t, but for what is essentially one year I think it would have been worth it. Everyone knows it was essentially a one-year deal so the holdout drama doesn't even factor in.

All League
    I hate dignifyng this garbage with a response...but what else are messageboards for?

Revis was a me first douche that held out at every turn because hes all about the money, Just like Uncle Sean taught him. He burned his bridge with the Jets publicly with his "Tampa is a family" crap. Then he wanted a ONE YEAR, $14 MILLION dollar deal for this year. He is nothing but a mercenary, and has ruined his chance at being considered a "great". Buh-Bye.

Gary Myers is a **** stirring, Jets Hating asshat. This whole story comes off as contrived and a way for these two to take a shot at a Jets organization they both dislike.

In other words, who gives a ****.