Thread: My son is applying to the United States naval academy

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

My son is applying to the United States naval academy

... would love to know if there are any fellow Jets fans who have affiliations or feedback of success stories they would be willing to share...

It's been a busy year, college visits, as a veteran of the USN, I couldn't be happier, and more proud, even prouder how things have shaped up this year, I didn't push him down any single path, I presented options, I've coached him on chose the path that drives him and him only, appreciate the stories I can present, and his family with a long history of military experiences, but he's real committed now, and the process has started...

Mission class of 2019!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    ... would love to know if there are any fellow Jets fans who have affiliations or feedback of success stories they would be willing to share...

It's been a busy year, college visits, as a veteran of the USN, I couldn't be happier, and more proud, even prouder how things have shaped up this year, I didn't push him down any single path, I presented options, I've coached him on chose the path that drives him and him only, appreciate the stories I can present, and his family with a long history of military experiences, but he's real committed now, and the process has started...

Mission class of 2019!
    Hi Ray,

Best of luck to him. My oldest son tried, went to interview, physical, etc. but they want more than good health and grades.
    He wasn't/isn't an 'A' type personality and they can ferret that out pretty quickly with their testing and interviews. I hope
    he makes it for his own sake, not to mention the easing of the college education cost on parents. Again, best of luck to
    both of you!

TBP

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    Hi Ray,

Best of luck to him. My oldest son tried, went to interview, physical, etc. but they want more than good health and grades.
    He wasn't/isn't an 'A' type personality and they can ferret that out pretty quickly with their testing and interviews. I hope
    he makes it for his own sake, not to mention the easing of the college education cost on parents. Again, best of luck to
    both of you!

TBP
    There is lot of this, after all, they are grooming Officers and LEADERS. They want confident kids that are competent and sure of themselves without being perceived as being "cocky"...unless hes being recruited to play Football, LOL.

They want a history of leadership, thats why they still give JNROTC, Sea Cadets, Scouts, etc serious weight, unlike the "Ivy Leagues".

They want good character. Integrity. A "clean prospect" in the parlance of the NFL.

Physical Fitness.....

And of course, a willingness to serve, and as a "ringknocker", serious consideration in making the Navy a careeer. And let him know not to fixate on a specific path in the Navy. The "I wanna be a Fighter Pilot" or "I wanna be a Navy Seal" kids get weeded out. Aptitude and need will dictate a Middies path.

Have you started calling your Congressmans office? It takes a nomination from a member of Congress for civilian student to enter the USMA and USNA as a Plebe.

Best of luck!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome!

Go Army!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    Hi Ray,

both of you!

TBP
    TBP, that is great feedback, it really is, exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I have relative that knows some of the leadership, so obviously I'm getting good coaching from inside as well, but it's all about preparation for the best possible interview.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    There is lot of this, after all, they are grooming Officers and LEADERS. They want confident kids that are competent and sure of themselves without being perceived as being "cocky"...unless hes being recruited to play Football, LOL.

They want a history of leadership, thats why they still give JNROTC, Sea Cadets, Scouts, etc serious weight, unlike the "Ivy Leagues".

They want good character. Integrity. A "clean prospect" in the parlance of the NFL.

Physical Fitness.....

And of course, a willingness to serve, and as a "ringknocker", serious consideration in making the Navy a careeer. And let him know not to fixate on a specific path in the Navy. The "I wanna be a Fighter Pilot" or "I wanna be a Navy Seal" kids get weeded out. Aptitude and need will dictate a Middies path.

Have you started calling your Congressmans office? It takes a nomination from a member of Congress for civilian student to enter the USMA and USNA as a Plebe.

Best of luck!!!!
    More great stuff!!!!! THank you.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can tell him where all the REALLY good bars are in Annapolis MD.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ray,

I live right near Annapolis, and venture there often. Many of my colleagues have midshipmen and women who they sponsor.

I work with many Academy Alums, all of whom have various stories, etc. I think it's a great place, and best of luck to him.

If you have any direct questions about the area, PM me.

Go Ray Ray's son!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Ray,

I live right near Annapolis, and venture there often. Many of my colleagues have midshipmen and women who they sponsor.

I work with many Academy Alums, all of whom have various stories, etc. I think it's a great place, and best of luck to him.

If you have any direct questions about the area, PM me.

Go Ray Ray's son!
    Thank you, I will be in touch!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, one thing I forgot.....

GO ARMY!! BEAT NAVY!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great. My youngest son (15) has his sights set on Annapolis. He's on pace to become the youngest Chief Petty Officer in his Sea Cadets unit's history, which should help. He's going to apply for the summer STEM training at Annapolis next year...there are plenty of ways to get on their radar. Your son should hook up with his own Blue & Gold officer/advisor who can guide him through the process.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have a son? U seem like a child.

Good luck to him in the navy

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ray, you better jump on that congressional letter of recommendation letter ASAP. Like Monday. Good luck.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I can tell him where all the REALLY good bars are in Annapolis MD.
    This. Though don't ask me for their names. I mis-remember those for some reason.

Galway Bay in addition to be an excellent Irish establishment is a great place to eat. Went with a party of four at some point a year or so ago. Sampled at least 3 of the party's meals. One better than the next.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Ray, you better jump on that congressional letter of recommendation letter ASAP. Like Monday. Good luck.
    This...

I hope it works out for him Ray big time goal

Good luck

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Yep, working on it!!! Thanks!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

Mission class of 2019!
    Tell him to eat at the Severn Inn across the river from the base. Fantastic food. Just there Sat night after the Spartan race.