Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decker Takes Us Into Our Offense

All League

Decker Takes Us Into Our Offense

Great article and insight into how WR's get open in Mornhinweg's offense:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...n_broncos.html

CORTLAND, N.Y. – Before training camp, the Jets’ players are given a list of extra amenities they can get for their dormitory rooms at SUNY Cortland. The list includes things like a recliner and a television.

Wide receiver Eric Decker, the Jets’ top offseason free agent acquisition, opted against the TV, because he knew he would probably spend his evenings glued to it, rather than combing through his playbook or getting extra rest – the real necessities of camp.

Decker has been drilled in the Jets’ West Coast offense ever since organized team activities in May. But spring workouts bear little resemblance to the heavy installation of plays and daily grind of practices that can wear down new players during camp.

“Whatever we did in the offseason, it doesn’t prepare you as much as people think to get to this point,” Decker said.

More challenging still for Decker, his responsibilities in the Jets’ offense differ greatly from what the Broncos asked him to do last season in their spread offense. The Jets’ system puts more onus on receivers to react to a defensive coverage and get open.

This sounds ideal for any receiver who wants to directly impact a game with his own decisions. Decker used the phrase “more freedom” when describing how receivers are used by the Jets, compared to the Broncos. But it also means a potentially steep learning curve for a receiver coming from a dissimilar offense.

The Jets are counting on Decker to energize their passing offense, which ranked second-to-last in the NFL last year and third-to-last in 2012. They hope he can produce like he did the past two seasons in Denver, where living legend Peyton Manning threw him balls. Decker in 2012 and 2013 caught 172 passes for 2,352 yards and 24 touchdowns.

Through three training camp practices, including Saturday’s first full-pads practice, Decker has looked reliable and efficient. He has yet to drop a pass. He appears to waste little movement while running routes – a testament to the sound technique that helped him reach this point, going from a third-round draft pick in 2010 to the recipient of a five-year, $36.25 million contract, with $15 million guaranteed, from the Jets.

MORE FREEDOM

Clearly, the most important aspect of an offense is production, not the strategic methods it uses to produce. And the Broncos produced like few other offenses in NFL history last season. They scored 37.9 points per game and gained 457.3 yards per game – both second all-time on the NFL’s single-season lists.

The Jets’ offense was mostly a mess last year. They ranked 29th in the league in points per game (18.1) and 25th in yards per game (318.1). But while the Broncos had Manning, the Jets played a floundering rookie quarterback, Geno Smith. And while the Broncos had Decker and Demaryius Thomas catching passes, the Jets’ receiver group was not nearly as talented, and spent much of the season hampered by injuries.

Decker was unquestionably effective in the Broncos’ spread offense, which relies on finding lanes and holes for the receivers. He also had one of the most accurate quarterbacks in NFL history throwing him passes. He does not have that with the Jets. But in coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s offense, Decker can do more to aid his own cause than he could in Denver.

Sometimes, the Broncos allowed their receivers to adjust their routes based on the coverage the defense showed. But not as often as the Jets do it, Decker said. Mornhinweg’s system can have several different route options for a receiver within each play call, depending on the defensive coverage. Because of this, Decker called the Jets’ scheme “a route-running offense” and “a receiver-friendly system.”

“You understand that it can be kind of a strength of the offense if you master it, where you can make those subtle adjustments and really get open versus any coverage,” Decker said. “It allows you that freedom as a receiver, that you’re not so systematic.”

Decker likes this flexibility. So does receivers coach Sanjay Lal. He and Mornhinweg tell the receivers the coverages they are expected to get against a certain formation. Based on the coverage, a receiver must adjust the depth or timing of his route – or even his pre-snap split, which is how close he lines up to ball. Lal said these adjustments are “all scripted” by the coaches – options for the receivers built into the offense.

“So any look that you’re given, you have an answer for it,” Lal said. “That’s the beauty of it for a receiver. He always has an answer to get open.”

PUTTING IN THE TIME

Designing a receiver-friendly offense is one thing. Acquiring a talented receiver is another. Getting the receiver playing smoothly in the offense is, of course, the ultimate goal.

Each night in his dorm room, Decker spends about 45 minutes studying his plays and watching practice film on an iPad. He reviews the plays the Jets installed that day and the previous day. He considers himself a visual learner, so he likes to watch practice film to see how the play unfolded in real time, as he memorizes his duties. At this point, Decker said he is comfortable with about 70 percent of his playbook. He knows the Jets’ base plays well, but feels less familiar with special and infrequently used plays.

Decker realized during his college days at Minnesota that he would never possess elite speed. He had to become “a technician,” he said. Every step must be measured precisely, every route thoroughly studied beforehand, if he wanted to get open consistently.

“Technique has gotten me open more than speed,” Decker said. “Some of these guys are just speed guys and can just blow by people with natural ability. For me, I don’t have that maybe top-end speed that some guys do, so I’ve got to work with the technique.”

Jets coach Rex Ryan admires how Decker can get open against press coverage, how he moves efficiently and smartly.

“He knows how to set guys up,” Ryan said. “He gets open, gets separation, even though he’s not the fastest guy. There are some fast guys that can’t get separation, for whatever reason.”

Ryan then considered something he said he once saw Hall of Fame receiver Michael Irvin mention about defensive backs: “I don’t have to run what he runs. He has to run what I run.” In other words, the defensive back must react and adjust to the receiver, not vice versa. That is why receivers lacking elite speed “still make big plays in this league,” Ryan said.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Decker in 2012 and 2013 caught 172 passes for 2,352 yards and 24 touchdowns.

An extra pair of BONER PANTS please, Mr. Harris!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Nice read.

To me, this says maybe Decker's production is more about his dedication to his craft, and less about who was throwing him the ball.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-27-2014 at 10:11 AM.

I like the "separation" comments from Rex. Seems like we never had that the last two years since every single pass Sanchez threw was in traffic.
    Then again we are talking about Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by eboozer32 View Post
    Decker in 2012 and 2013 caught 172 passes for 2,352 yards and 24 touchdowns.

He's going to have to start mass production manufacturing in Taiwan if orders like this persist.
    Last edited by Harrier; 07-26-2014 at 08:45 PM.

All Pro
    Wow, that sounds intense, and demanding.

Way too soon to make any judgements, but the early indications on Decker are certainly positive. Idzik may have spent his money well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Wow, that sounds intense, and demanding.
    What? Making Boner pants in Taiwan? I agree, rather the Hitman than me Niece.

Rookie
    After reading the OP I've been forced to downgrade my expectations for our rookie WR's. They've got so much to learn that you can't expect them to any more than adequate for most of their rookie year. Sadly that probably includes our rookie TE as well.
    Don't misunderstand me. I still think our offense will be head and shoulders above last year's for a variety of reasons. I just don't expect much out of the rookies is all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Huge pickup, we're going to love this guy. Players like him, that have good character, great work ethic, and not excessively expensive, are who you use your cap space on. Numbers wise, I'm not expecting a PB season, but he'll make life easier for everyone on offense.

Veteran
    so if the WR is adjusting his route on his own won't that throw off the QB

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    That was my thought when reading the article. It must make the QBs job that much harder not knowing exactly where his receivers are suppose to be. Seems like you really open the door for the miscommunication INTs.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    QB will of course have to be reading the same D

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    That was my thought when reading the article. It must make the QBs job that much harder not knowing exactly where his receivers are suppose to be. Seems like you really open the door for the miscommunication INTs.
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    That's where practice comes in, building chemistry. Working and talking together

Geno hardly ever had that opportunity last year with Winslow, Hill, and Holmes. Once Kerley got hurt it was untenable

Veteran
    I liked the bit about how MM and our receivers coach teach routes and getting separation from the defensive backs.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by eboozer32 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    He's going to have to start mass production manufacturing in Taiwan if orders like this persist.
    Just make sure they get the sizing right....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    That's where practice comes in, building chemistry. Working and talking together

Geno hardly ever had that opportunity last year with Winslow, Hill, and Holmes. Once Kerley got hurt it was untenable
    Yep, good post. This is why Nelson likely has an edge over Hill and others for the #2 spot.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Old Joe View Post
    This is why Nelson likely has an edge over Hill and others for the #2 spot.
    I agree. It'll have to do for the immediate future....til Evans or somebody turns it on

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Yep. Receivers and Geno all have to recognize the defense in the same way. Also QB-receivers have to know the depth of these routes and their options based on whether the play calls for a 3-5-7 step drop.

But while the receiver only has to know his own individual route options based on the defense he sees. Geno has to know all the route options for all receivers on the field for that play. Then after ball is snapped to him...Geno is quickly going through read-progressions identifying the route choices of his receivers. Based on the coverages he sees...on his 1st read...Geno makes a decision on whether his primary receiver is open...or if it's favorable to throw it to the spot where the receiver should be after finishing his route. If it's a no throw. Geno must quickly go through this process with his 2nd option...and possibly a 3rd target, etc.

Ideally...the play should be completed within 2.5 seconds. If Geno decides he can't make a throw by then. An alarm clock should go off in his head and he should start scrambling out of the pocket...while looking down field...to see if any of his targets have moved around and found an open space...so Geno can throw it to them. Or else...Geno throws it away or runs with it.

You can see why a strong running game is a best friend for a young QB. Hand the ball off to CJ-Ivory-Powell-Richardson. Off of their success...Geno has a chance to use play action effectively. Getting the D to bite on it. That makes it easier to get a big chunk play or simply make completions.