Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KRL Camp Notes (7/27/14)

All League

KRL Camp Notes (7/27/14)

This is my last day in Cortland, I'm headed back to NYC Monday morning. A couple of sayings
    come to mind as I've watched the team this week:

- As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another
    - High tide raises all the boats

People have laughed at Idzik as he always preaches "competition, competition, competition"
    but he's right. As he has raised the level of talent on the team, players have had to raise
    their game

General Notes

- Players in full pads

- Practice ran 2 hours and 25 minutes

- Don't be shocked if Idzik uses the IR as another "practice squad". Once we start playing
    games don't be surprised if we get a lot of "injuries" (wink, wink). One player who may be
    a candidate is Shaq Evans because I really think the time he missed in OTA's is affecting
    him. He had another drop today

- As I've watched the WR group I really wonder how much of Eric Decker's experience with
    Peyton Manning has helped everyone. Because its so unusual to see a whole position group
    raise their level in one year. Even Clyde Gates looks good and we know that won't last

- Antwan Barnes, Zach Thompson and Quincy Enunwa were on the bikes. Calvin Pryor stayed
    inside for the majority of practice then came out and watched the last 30 minutes

- Willie Colon suited up and participated in a few portions of practice as he works his
    way back

- A couple of "fights" today between Clyde Gates & Jeremy Reeves and David Nelson & Dimitri
    Patterson

- Biggest hit of the day was Josh Bush on Jacoby Ford as he attempted to catch a seam pass
    from Michael Vick. Ford stayed down for a few seconds but then bounced up

- Red zone drills today

- Another pretty even day between the offense and the defense

- I believe there were three penalties today. A couple where when the QB drew the defense
    offsides

Player Notes

- Good day for Stephen Hill even though he had a drop during the red zone period. His best
    play was a 30+ yard catch from Geno Smith during 11 on 11's

- During RB & TE vs. LB blocking drills here's my observations:
    * Bilal Powell blocks like a guard
    * Jace Amaro can be a very good blocker as long as he watches his angles/balance
    * Chris Johnson, Daryl Richardson and Jeff Cumberland are functional blockers (they get
    in the way and will put up a fight)
    * Tommy Bohanon and Chad Young were shockingly bad. Both of them would duck their heads
    and lose sight of their men
    * Chris Ivory was decent
    * Zach Sudfeld was also bad he took bad angles and LB's were able to get right by him

- Jason Babin flashed his pass rushing skills once again during 11 on 11's. He flushed Michael
    Vick out of the pocket and "sacked" Matt Simms. Thankfully we will be using him only as a pass
    rusher because he really vacates his lane on running plays

- Very good day for IK Enemkpali today. He got two "sacks" during 11 on 11's (Matt Simms & Tajh
    Boyd) and had a tackle for loss on a running play (Alex Green). His body structure reminds you
    of James Harrison

- During OLine vs. DLine 1 on 1 blocking drills the OLine had a good day:
    * Brian Winters fought Mo Wilkerson to a standstill
    * Oday Aboushi split his reps against Sheldon Richardson
    * Breno Giacomini went against Jason Babin and it was interesting to watch how he fought off
    a smaller pass rusher. For someone who you would think would "lumber" around he shows good
    footwork and a decent ability to bend as he pushed Babin past the pocket
    * Nick Mangold stoned Damon Harrison during his reps
    * D'Brick Ferguson and Quinton Coples split their reps
    * Dakota Dozier flashed for a second day has he went up against Leger Douzable

QB

Good days for both Geno Smith and Michael Vick not because they had tons of "sexy" plays but
    they both managed their reps well. Neither of them forced throws for potential INT's if the
    defense won a particular rep.

- During the red zone period Geno Smith had two TD's. One was on an option run the other was
    on a quick pitch to Chris Johnson as he sucked the DLine into the backfield. He would have
    had a third but David Nelson couldn't get his feet inbounds on a corner route. During the
    7 on 7 period he was very sharp and as I mentioned before during 11 on 11's he had a nice
    30+ yard bomb to Stephen Hill. It also seemed like Mornhinweg put in an unusual amount of
    option runs for Smith today

- Michael Vick had one TD to Zach Sudfeld during the red zone period. And he also was very
    sharp during 7 on 7's

Standouts

- Geno Smith

- Michael Vick

- IK Enemkpali

- Stephen Hill

- Jason Babin
    Last edited by KRL; 07-27-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    This is my last day in Cortland, I'm headed back to NYC Monday morning. A couple of sayings

People have laughed at Idzik as he always preaches "competition, competition, competition"
    but he's right. As he has raised the level of talent on the team, players have had to raise
    their game

General Notes

- Players in full pads

- Don't be shocked if Idzik uses the IR as another "practice squad". Once we start playing
    games don't be surprised if we get a lot of "injuries" (wink, wink). One player who may be
    a candidate is Shaq Evans because I really think the time he missed in OTA's is affecting

- As I've watched the WR group I really wonder how much of Eric Decker's experience with
    Peyton Manning has helped everyone. Because its so unusual to see a whole position group
    raise their level in one year. Even Clyde Gates looks good and we know that won't last

- Antwan Barnes, Zach Thompson and Quincy Enunwa were on the bikes. Calvin Pryor stayed
    inside for the majority of practice then came out and watched the last 30 minutes

- Willie Colon suited up and participated in a few portions of practice as he works his
    way back

- A couple of "fights" today between Clyde Gates & Jeremy Reeves and David Nelson & Dimitri
    Patterson

- Biggest hit of the day was Josh Bush on Jacoby Ford as he attempted to catch a seam pass

- Red zone drills today

- I believe there were three penalties today. A couple where when the QB drew the defense
    offsides

Player Notes

- Good day for Stephen Hill even though he had a drop during the red zone period. His best

* Jace Amaro can be a very good blocker as long as he watches his angles/balance
    * Chris Johnson, Daryl Richardson and Jeff Cumberland are functional blockers (they get
    * Tommy Bohanon and Chad Young were shockingly bad. Both of them would duck their heads
    * Chris Ivory was decent
    * Zach Sudfeld was also bad he took bad angles and LB's were able to get right by him

- Jason Babin flashed his pass rushing skills once again during 11 on 11's. He flushed Michael
    Vick out of the pocket and "sacked" Matt Simms. Thankfully we will be using him only as a pass

- Very good day for IK Enemkpali today. He got two "sacks" during 11 on 11's (Matt Simms & Tajh
    Boyd) and had a tackle for loss on a running play (Alex Green). His body structure reminds you
    of James Harrison

* Breno Giacomini went against Jason Babin and it was interesting to watch how he fought off
    a smaller pass rusher. For someone who you would think would "lumber" around he shows good

QB

Good days for both Geno Smith and Michael Vick not because they had tons of "sexy" plays but
    they both managed their reps well. Neither of them forced throws for potential INT's if the

- During the red zone period Geno Smith had two TD's. One was on an option run the other was
    on a quick pitch to Chris Johnson as he sucked the DLine into the backfield. He would have
    had a third but David Nelson couldn't get his feet inbounds on a corner route. During the
    7 on 7 period he was very sharp and as I mentioned before during 11 on 11's he had a nice
    30+ yard bomb to Stephen Hill. It also seemed like Mornhinweg put in an unusual amount of

- Michael Vick had one TD to Zach Sudfeld during the red zone period. And he also was very
    sharp during 7 on 7's

Standouts

- Geno Smith

- Michael Vick

- IK Enemkpali

- Stephen Hill

- Jason Babin

Great report as usual. Thank you. What you said about Decker is exactly what I was hoping for with the signing and mentioned in a post a few months ago. Never mind if he was a #2 or #1 WR. His experience with Manning for 2 years was something I hoped he would bring along and would spread to our WRs and entire offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    And if I may add......

Jets activated RG Willie Colon (knee, biceps) from the camp/PUP list.

He only sat on PUP for four days. Colon is the Jets' starting right guard, with sophomore Brian Winters as the favorite to man left guard. The tackles are D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Breno Giacomini with Nick Mangold at center.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/

Thanks for the report KRL.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-27-2014 at 02:48 PM.

These reports kick ass man.

their game

General Notes

- Players in full pads

way back

Patterson

- Red zone drills today

offsides

Player Notes

* Chris Ivory was decent

of James Harrison

QB

sharp during 7 on 7's

Standouts

- Geno Smith

- Michael Vick

- IK Enemkpali

- Stephen Hill

- Jason Babin
    Great stuff KRL

You leaving camp =

A couple of questions

- How has Sudfeld looked, he was getting a lot of 'air' time from the beats tweeting updates from camp
    - What is the 2nd string OL, my guess Ijilana, Schlauderaf, Freeman, Campbell, Zusevics?
    - What is the 2nd string rotation at LB?
    - Who's having the better camp so far, Boyd or Simms?
    - Rotation at S with Pryor out behind Landry and Allen?
    - Rotation at CB behind Milliner and Patterson?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

As usual KRL you da man your camp reports are in a class by themselves..

Rookie
    Good stuff, including the sayings, and Idzik remarks.

I've found the OLine reports very encouraging. Good to hear Mangold's well. Looking forward to seeing that whole group.

It appears that T depth is shallow, but Interior is looking good

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Great stuff KRL

You leaving camp =

A couple of questions

- How has Sudfeld looked, he was getting a lot of 'air' time from the beats tweeting updates from camp
    - What is the 2nd string OL, my guess Ijilana, Schlauderaf, Freeman, Campbell, Zusevics?
    Answers

- Sudfeld has caught everything thrown his way and should make the team. But he REALLY needs to improve
    his blocking

- The #2 OLine was Ijalana, Dozier, Freeman, Campbell and I believe Zusevics

- The #2 LB's were McIntyre, Bellore, George and Babin/Cunningham

- Matt Simms is still the #3 QB in my eyes. Boyd needs a full year of pro grooming

- The safeties were Jarrett and Bush today

- The #2 CB's were Walls and McDougle. Wilson is strictly in the slot

Undrafted Free Agent
    Yes. Curious to hear how Miles @ S and Davis @ LB looked today. Rex was going to run them with the 1's today.
    The more I'm hearing about the FB's the more I would prefer keeping 4 RB's and or an extra WR & use Sheldon again as the short yardage/goal line guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Great stuff KRL

You leaving camp =

A couple of questions

KRL just wanted to say thanks again for another fabulous year of training camp reporting. You're the man.

We will miss your very compelling writing.
    Thanks for your efforts you are appreciated!

- Matt Simms is still the #3 QB in my eyes. Boyd needs a full year of pro grooming
    I wouldn't be surprised if Simms is out after camp. There's obviously no interest in moving him into a legitimate back up position.

Quote Originally Posted by rex-n-effect View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Simms is out after camp. There's obviously no interest in moving him into a legitimate back up position.
    Talent=Interest. The more he proves to be a capable backup the more interest the Jets will have in putting him there. But as it stands now I don't know how anyone could believe that he is a capable and reliable backup. Maybe in a couple of more years things will be different, hopefully.

Speaking of competition.

@RichCimini: Rex Ryan says it's "interesting" how Quinton Coples' play has improved since the arrival of Jason Babin. What does that say? #nyj

Really great reports. Gonna miss these going forward. Thanks again!

2 questions for you that you might not have seen, but wanted to throw them out there.

As far as the oline backups how has dalton freeman and Ijalana done overall? I think both have talent and with experience I feel
    Like can be valuable backups. Have they been holding their own?

Thanks

All Pro
    boohoo... Quite you day job and family - KRL REPORTS 4LIFE!!

Thanks again KRL for these excellent reports. I'm gonna miss them for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Speaking of competition.

@RichCimini: Rex Ryan says it's "interesting" how Quinton Coples' play has improved since the arrival of Jason Babin. What does that say? #nyj
    Thanks again for your reports KRL. Have an easy drive home tomorrow.

Coples was ready to step up. Babin may be a factor, but a small one. But...competiton focuses the mind!

Jets Insider VIP
    KRL thank you for great reports. I am visiting in Grand Rapids and get no Jets news at all. I appreciate your info greatly.

KRL....I look forward to your reports every year! Thanks a ton bro!