Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D# Ready To Kick Some A** News Compilation

D# Ready To Kick Some A** News Compilation

The players have the day off today but that doesn't mean they'll stop talking.
    Here's a bunch of articles published today, mostly regarding our defense and how they want to intimidate anybody that steps on the field against us.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/28/we-make...fense-is-back/

If the Rex Ryan Jets are perceived as the Bad Boys of the NFL on their way to their stated goal as the league’s No. 1 defense, so be it.

“I ain’t never seen a lot of people outside of our own organization see us in a positive light,” Demario Davis told The Post. “People may call us cocky, people may call us arrogant or whatever, we know we’re humble as we can be. I have yet to see anybody be successful that wasn’t confident in themselves.

“You have to be violent on the field, it’s a violent game, the most physical team always wins. And, can we be more physical? Yeah. And will we be? We have to be. But that’s the mentality of Jet defense.

“When Rex’s defense was No. 1 in the league, those were some of the most violent men I’ve ever seen. Us younger guys got to be able to go and play like some of the older guys that played for Rex. You go back and watch 2009 film before, Rex has always had the most violent defense in the league. I think that’s kind of what’s got him the reputation of being a bully in the league. That’s what we look to do, is dominate every opponent that we play. You got to be able to do it when the lights come on.”

Sheldon Richardson, asked how many enforcers are on Gang Green, shot back: “11.”

His definition of an enforcer?

“Someone who doesn’t take crap from anyone — even his own teammates,” Richardson said. “He backs up what he says.”

Were there 11 enforcers last year on this defense?

“Not 11. We had about 8,” Richardson said.

“It may be more than 11, but I know the 11 on the field will be serious enforcers,” Davis said. “Have you seen practice?

You hear the pads, it speaks for itself.”

The Rams had a Fearsome Foursome. The Jets believe they have a Fearsome 11.

“We’re fearless and we look to invoke fear,” Davis told The Post. “That’s who we are.

“I feel like people think we’re bullies in the NFL, so it is what it is. Ain’t none of us scared of nothing when it comes to football. We look to make people scared of us.”

Hide the women and children when Muhammad Wilkerson and Rookie of the Year Richardson come to town.

“I picked up double-teams and triple-teams probably about third, fourth game of the season, so …,” Richardson said.

So figure out a way to be a double-digit sacker anyway.

“I got to get more sacks, I got to rush the passer a whole lot better,” Richardson said. “Even though I had a lot of [quarterback] hurries and [QB] hits, sacks are a whole lot better.”

There was only one New York Sack Exchange, and until there is another, Ryan craves a New York Takeaway Exchange (a mere 15 in 2013).

“We need to get the ball back for our offense as fast as possible and find ways to score with it ourselves,” Ryan said.

Ryan’s challenge is making certain his predators recognize the fine line between intimidation and intelligence.

Rookie inside linebacker Jeremiah George was admonished for belting rookie quarterback Tajh Boyd near the sidelines.

“We don’t hit our quarterbacks, period,” Ryan said. “That’s why they’re in the red jersey. You got to be smart.”

Cornerback Dimitri Patterson and wide receiver David Nelson had to be separated during a brief scuffle on Sunday.

“It’s a lot more wide receivers and DBs fighting than last year,” Richardson said, and chuckled.

Richardson, 10 pounds lighter at 300, is a fan favorite.

“Fans are nuts, I love ’em … I love ’em, man,” he said.

It was suggested to Richardson this will be a fun team to watch.

“Most definitely,” he said.

A hungry team.

“Most definitely,” he said.

An angry team.

“Something to prove,” Richardson said.

That they can overtake the Patriots.

“You know how I feel about the Patriots man,” Richardson said. “It is what it is.”
    That moron Womanish Mehta once again suggesting Coples doesn't have "that fire" inside him, even though he pretty much dominated in camp so far. But hey, off the field he's too laid back, that means he doesn't care.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1882203

CORTLAND* — The fire burns deep inside his 6-6, 270-pound self, he says with a wide smile. The desire, drive and hunger, too.

Quinton Coples is an enigma with tantalizing physical gifts, a nice guy who could use a little bit of nastiness to fulfill his destiny of becoming a dominant NFL pass rusher. He already has the skills. Now it’s time to put it all together.

“I do love the game and have a passion for the game,” Coples told the Daily News after practice on Sunday. “I don’t know if you categorize it as a nasty streak… or (being) a certain type of guy. I play hard and I just do my job.”

The question dances in Rex Ryan’s head probably every other minute at training camp: How incredibly frightening could the defense be if Coples maximizes his potential like fellow first-rounders Mo Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson?

The Jets finished in the middle of the pack with 41 sacks last season, but Coples can help transform Ryan’s pass rush into something special if he becomes a dependable force on the edge.

Coples endured growing pains in his transition from defensive end to outside linebacker last season for myriad reasons. A hairline fracture of his ankle in the second preseason game put him further behind, denting his confidence and playing with his psyche.

He played at 290 pounds, too heavy to master the various tasks at his new position. He spent too much time on the field thinking about his new job responsibilities and too little time using his natural abilities to his advantage.

“When you’re coming from college, there’s no position like that,” said defensive assistant Jeff Weeks. “But it’s a great one to have.”
    Jets' defensive line coach Karl Dunbar (third from r.) poses with Damon Harrison (94), Quinton Coples (98), Sheldon Richardson (91) and Tevita Finau (92) as they walk to practice. AP Jets' defensive line coach Karl Dunbar (third from r.) poses with Damon Harrison (94), Quinton Coples (98), Sheldon Richardson (91) and Tevita Finau (92) as they walk to practice.

Coples finished with 4 sacks, 38 tackles and plenty of criticism in 14 games.

“He has the desire to be a great player,” defensive lineman Damon Harrison said. “He just has to be more consistent.”

Concerns about an inconsistent motor have trailed Coples for years. The Jets weren’t worried about Coples’ work ethic when they selected him out of North Carolina with the No. 16 overall pick in the 2012 draft. The Patriots took Chandler Jones, who had a team-high 11 sacks last season, five spots later.

Ryan called out Coples for his disappointing effort in the weight room last year. Jets all-time great Joe Klecko said this summer that Coples “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” at times.

Coples has heard variations of the criticism before, but swears it doesn’t change his truth. “People are going to have their judgments,” he said.

Coples keeps it light on most days. It’s nearly impossible to erase the smile on his face. So, he’s not going to apologize for his easygoing disposition regardless of the public perception.

“That’s who I am,” the 24-year-old Coples said. “I’m proud of it. That’s the way God made me. People will talk bad stuff. I don’t really get caught up in what people think or what people say about me.”

Coples’ development in his third season would have a ripple effect that potentially mitigates a suspect secondary. A consistent pass rush will alleviate some of the pressure on the back end.

Veteran outside linebacker Calvin Pace found the fountain of youth last season with a career-high 10 sacks, but Ryan likely can’t count on another double-digit sack season.

He needs Coples, who had 10 sacks in his first two seasons, to make a significant jump.

“The guy was drafted in the first round for a reason,” said Harrison.

Ryan admitted that Coples’ play “has been off the charts these last couple of days” since veteran pass rusher Jason Babin arrived and started taking some of the third-year linebacker’s reps.

A lighter and leaner Coples (less than 9% body fat) says he feels more comfortable and confident on the edge these days, creating more fluidity in his game. He’s thinking less, doing more.

Now, it’s time to put on his mean face and go for the kill.
    Nice piece by USAToday on Geno/Vick.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nfl-topstories

"Everything he says makes a lot of sense," Geno Smith said on Vick. "He's speaking from experience, and we all know that experience is the best professor." So Vick is not a 'pushy' mentor? "That's what I don't do," Vick said. "That's why I won't wake a guy up at 6 a.m. to get a workout. It's not that serious. As long as we get our work in and work hard. I tell Geno, 'We're just creating building blocks. We've laid a foundation, and now every day, we must keep building."
    Pace: We have the best defense in football

CORTLAND — No one knows how many wins the Jets will have in 2014, but it sounds like they rank first in the league in self-confidence. One day after Dee Milliner told the Daily News he’s the best cornerback in the league, Calvin Pace made another bold statement.

Asked how he thought the Jets defense stacks up against others in the league, Pace told The News on Sunday, “(Compared to) the rest of the defenses in the NFL? S---, man, we’re the best."

“You ask anybody around the league, we’re not the team you want to see coming in, even in a down year,” Pace added.

By their standards, the Jets did have a down year last season. The team finished 11th in the league in total defense, its worst finish in the five seasons since Rex Ryan took over as head coach.

“There’s a certain type of aggression when we come ... you know we’re going to come with a lot of stuff and teams don’t want to see that,” the linebacker said. “They want to see a vanilla defense, that just lines up and you know where they’re going to be.”

The Seahawks or 49ers might take issue with Pace’s proclamation that Gang Green has the best defense, but there’s no stopping Jets players from voicing their self-belief.

“We’re the benchmark when we’re doing well,” Pace said. “I’ll take these guys and Rex and this system any day.”

The Jets have failed to reach the playoffs in each of the last three seasons. Those down years, Pace says, are driving the team to improve.

“The thing I like about these guys, man, for the most part they take coaching,” Pace said. “Even a guy like Muhammad (Wilkerson). He could take the day off if he wanted to, plays off if he wanted to. He don’t have to be here really, he could hold out if he wanted to. But everybody is trying to get better.”

Gang Green has an excellent front seven but is filled with question marks in the secondary. The Jets will need players like Milliner and Calvin Pryor to live up to their draft day hype in order for the team to match Pace’s expectation.

“We always talk about being the best defense out there and trying to get back to the old style of Jets football,” Wilkerson said. “That’s just always, every year.”

If there’s reason for optimism for the Jets’ future, it stems first and foremost from the defense, which is filled with young starters who could conceivably play together for years to come.

Of the 11 starters in the team’s base defense, seven or eight have fewer than four years of experience in the league, depending on who wins the second safety spot between Dawan Landry and Antonio Allen.

Wilkerson is the star of the team’s best position: its defensive line. Though the team finished 11th in the league in defense last year, the line was elite, helping the Jets have the third-best run-stopping unit in the league. But can the line keep it up?

“You have to put years together before anybody can say you’re great,” defensive line coach Karl Dunbar said. “Because everybody can have a flash in the pan.”

“One-hit wonders are laughed at more so than praised,” second-year defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson added.

As good as the defensive line was, the defense as a whole is going to have to make improvements in order to reach its goals. Number one on that list? Turnovers.

“We got to get takeaways. That’s number one,” Ryan said. "It’s not just good enough to stop them or something like that; prevent points.

“We need to get the ball back to our offense as fast as possible and find ways to score with it ourselves.”
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1882003
    Last edited by DaBallhawk; 07-28-2014 at 04:14 AM.

Banned
    So you have the best Cornerback in the league, a top five Quarterback, and your defense has surpassed Seattle's in 4 days of training camp.

I cannot wait for the actual season to start.

I don't have a problem with our defense having a chip on their shoulder, being confident, talking about the defensive unit, especially when it's core guys like Mo, Rich, Snacks or Harris. Actually that's what you want. I love it. They talk about the group, not how great they are. But guys like Patterson & Milliner talking about how good THEY (as an individual) think they are...that bothers me a little. They better back it up.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    But guys like Patterson & Milliner talking about how good THEY (as an individual) think they are...that bothers me a little. They better back it up.
    Gotta take into context.... You'd probably feel just a little different about their answers if you heard the absurd setup questions.
    There is only one answer.

Veteran
    The players have the day off today but that doesn't mean they'll stop talking.
    Here's a bunch of articles published today, mostly regarding our defense and how they want to intimidate anybody that steps on the field against us.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/28/we-make...fense-is-back/

That moron Womanish Mehta once again suggesting Coples doesn't have "that fire" inside him, even though he pretty much dominated in camp so far. But hey, off the field he's too laid back, that means he doesn't care.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1882203

Nice piece by USAToday on Geno/Vick.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nfl-topstories

Pace: We have the best defense in football

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1882003

In case you missed it the first time:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Gotta take into context.... You'd probably feel just a little different about their answers if you heard the absurd setup questions.
    The media loves playing these games in NY especially with our players. There's nothing wrong with Milliner saying he feels he's the best corner - everywhere but in NY. If a Jet makes that type of comment the (NY) makes a mockery of it, every website is going to make a big deal about it. Patrick Peterson has been saying stuff like that for a couple years now and while he has developed into a very good corner (far from being the best) nobody really cared about his comments when he was pretty much in the same situation Dee is right now (up & coming). We need some sort of media coaching for our players to teach them how to respond to certain questions, when the media is trying to set those players up. I'm glad Milliner thinks he's the best, he has to believe in himself, he has to have that confidence. But it would be wiser if he kept that stuff to himself, because once you say something like that in NY the media will be all over you and turn it into a circus.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    There's always an alternative answer ... sorry to sound like Belichicken, but "I'm just trying to focus on improving, one day at a time; let others do the judging on who's the best ...". The media want to turn a non-story into a story - this reply, bland though it may be, keeps it as a non-story.

Either way, it's all just bs ... no-one's going to change their gameplan based on what an opponent says, only on what he does on the field.

All Pro
    The media loves playing these games in NY especially with our players. There's nothing wrong with Milliner saying he feels he's the best corner - everywhere but in NY. If a Jet makes that type of comment the (NY) makes a mockery of it, every website is going to make a big deal about it. Patrick Peterson has been saying stuff like that for a couple years now and while he has developed into a very good corner (far from being the best) nobody really cared about his comments when he was pretty much in the same situation Dee is right now (up & coming). We need some sort of media coaching for our players to teach them how to respond to certain questions, when the media is trying to set those players up. I'm glad Milliner thinks he's the best, he has to believe in himself, he has to have that confidence. But it would be wiser if he kept that stuff to himself, because once you say something like that in NY the media will be all over you and turn it into a circus.
    I thought that I read somewhere that Cro still thinks he is the best? Dee saying that he is is a non story as it has been stated. Teams are already looking at the schedule and when they see the Jets game coming up the first thing they think about is the mean and nasty D.

They know that they are in a fight. This D has pride.

All League
    Charter JI Member

This right here....couldn't have said it better.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    So you have the best Cornerback in the league, a top five Quarterback, and your defense has surpassed Seattle's in 4 days of training camp.

Why is your username based on a Nietzsche work? I guess displaying the fact that you've read one piece of existential philosophy by a syphilitic maniac makes you the authority on Jets football? Hmm well since you're clearly an expert, you must be familiar with his views on karma right? You add nothing, and you suck at life friend. 700 posts, and all have been pure bull****. It's hilarious that you have nothing better to do.

Hall Of Fame

Hall Of Fame

Honestly, if you have a problem with them actually saying this stuff and believing in themselves then I don't know what's going on with you. You WANT players to feel that way about themselves. Do you want a QB who sees himself somewhere at the bottom? Of course not. There's absolutely nothing wrong with their attitude. The reaction in the media is the only thing that makes this a mess. How do you respond to such a stupid question? Why would you even ask a rookie or 2nd year guy if he thinks he is or can be the best in the league? You're f*cked either way. If you say yes people will call you crazy, cocky, selfish. If you say no then you don't have what it takes to be/come the best. If you talk about the team and how winning a superbowl is more important the media is going to use it against you as well. You avoid the question and a day later you're being forced by the media/team to do your job and be available to the media and make sure those "journalists" can make money off of (trashing) you.

All Pro

I cannot wait for you to get permabanned but I guess we'll wait for that too.

All Pro
    Anyways back on topic, I would like to see more nastiness out of our D....Rex always has the group technically sound, but I want to see more ferociousness out of the D, like the Niners, Ravens or Seahawks. These comments make me believe we're starting to get a mean streak on that side of the ball.....

Practice Squad
    Honestly, if you have a problem with them actually saying this stuff and believing in themselves then I don't know what's going on with you. You WANT players to feel that way about themselves. Do you want a QB who sees himself somewhere at the bottom? Of course not. There's absolutely nothing wrong with their attitude. The reaction in the media is the only thing that makes this a mess. How do you respond to such a stupid question? Why would you even ask a rookie or 2nd year guy if he thinks he is or can be the best in the league? You're f*cked either way. If you say yes people will call you crazy, cocky, selfish. If you say no then you don't have what it takes to be/come the best. If you talk about the team and how winning a superbowl is more important the media is going to use it against you as well. You avoid the question and a day later you're being forced by the media/team to do your job and be available to the media and make sure those "journalists" can make money off of (trashing) you.

No problem with them feeling the way they do, but saying it out loud comes off as arrogant and often ridiculous. Dee Milliner the best CB in the league? Noone in their right mind would say that on the eve of his 2nd year, especially after a mostly bad rookie year. Geno top 5? Come on, I'm hopeful but right now he is rightly considered in the bottom 5. The best defense in the league? Who won the super bowl last year with the legion of boom while we were 8-8 with three years out of the playoffs? Right now the Jets should work hard, keep their mouths shut, and prove something before engaging in delusional declarations, whether the media eggs them on or not.

Hall Of Fame
    I enjoy the fact that they want to play mean and nasty. That's how I want to see the whole team play. Angry.

Beat them to sleep!!!

Hall Of Fame

Well that sounds like the Pats if you ask me and we all know how their years have turned out since Cheatgate. Disappointment and failure.

All League
    Great post, completely agree.

Any other team says this kind of stuff it's a nonstory. "That's good, Cromartie and the Cardinals have confidence."

The Jets say it and it's BREAKING NEWS across the nation and gets all other fanbases immediately pissed off.

All League
    The writers completely bait these responses too. Imagine a sweaty Manish leaning in too close to your body at your locker: "So where do you think the Jets defense ranks?" "Who is the best corner in the league?" I'd say whatever he wants to hear too just to get him away.