Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets Setting the Standard in a New Era of QB Depth Management

Undrafted Free Agent

Jets Setting the Standard in a New Era of QB Depth Management

Good morning Jets fans! In our Monday 1st & Forever column, Gene Clemons looks at the Jets QB situation and talks about how they are setting the standard for how it should be managed

Here's the article, let me know your thoughts

FBGP's 1st and Forever - Jets May Be the Leaders of a New Era

Quote Originally Posted by EmDiggy View Post
    Good morning Jets fans! In our Monday 1st & Forever column, Gene Clemons looks at the Jets QB situation and talks about how they are setting the standard for how it should be managed

I guess no one remembers WoodStrock??

I sure ashell do. The past is the future I guess.

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmDiggy View Post

if you plan on hawking your website here you should actually paste the article out of consideration...

I'll do it for you.

Monday Jul, 2014 4:02 PM | by admin | NO COMMENTS
    The Jets May be the Leader of the New Era

Written by Gene Clemons, FBGP Analyst
    Football analysts and guys in the know will wax poetically about the importance of the quarterback. Many college and NFL coaches hitch their futures to what they consider to be a ‘franchise quarterback’ and for good reason. The quarterback controls the offense and has a chance to affect the game, positively or negatively, with every play.
    With that in mind, it’s baffling that there is a lack of quality backups in the NFL. Money is obviously a major factor but how can you not give greater support to the most important position in football. The most unintelligent cliché in all of football has to be, “If you have two starting quarterbacks, then you don’t have one.” How does that make sense? If the Colts would have kept Peyton Manning and drafted Andrew Luck does that mean that they would cease to have a starting quarterback?
    Matthew Stafford, QB Detroit Lions. Photo Courtesy - www.thepigskinreport.com

NFL teams don’t even seem to choose backups that have similar qualities as their starter. This would allow them to keep their original game plan in tact regardless of the man under center. Instead you sometimes see opposites. In Detroit, Matthew Stafford is decently athletic and possesses a cannon for an arm, as a result the Lions’ offensive philosophy in drafting and game plans has been to stretch the field vertically. Insert Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush, and now Eric Ebron, that’s three guys with the ability to perfectly pair with Stafford’s downfield throwing ability. However, if Stafford is injured that leaves the Lions with Dan Orlovsky, Kellen Moore, and James Franklin to spearhead the high-powered vertical offense. That’s not a similar level of arm talent running off the bench.
    Geno Smith, QB New York Jets. Photo Courtesy - Al Bello/Getty Images

Surprisingly, there is only one team in the NFL that has seemed to get this idea and have in place a quarterback succession that allows them to be consistent regardless of the man calling signals. The New York Jets have positioned themselves to be the pied piper of the NFL when it comes to quarterback situations.
    Here’s the Jets QB Depth Chart:
    Geno Smith 6’3” 221lbs
    Michael Vick 6’0” 215lbs
    Tajh Boyd 6’1” 222lbs
    Physically, they are all similar. Athletically, they are all similar. Mentally, they play the same type of game. They all have very live arms and they all can seriously hurt you with their running ability.
    Did the Jets “Forrest Gump” into this situation or was it calculated? They drafted a
    Rookie QB Tajh Boyd, New York Jets. Photo Courtesy - www.topbet.eu

quarterback to be the starter last season, in the offseason they brought in a veteran to mentor and push their starter, and in the draft, they was able to add another quality quarterback with similar attributes. Because of these moves, the Jets have made it possible to absorb a quarterback injury at the position; they’ve also made it possible to keep the paychecks of their quarterbacks reasonable.
    It has long been my belief that the philosophy surrounding quarterbacks in the NFL is
    flawed. Why wouldn’t more teams have two or more quarterbacks that they truly believe in, and that were capable of running the same offense effectively because they possess similar traits?
    New Seattle Seahawks QB Terrelle Pryor. Photo Courtesy - Getty Images

With that in mind, here are some suggestions for teams with special quarterback needs. The San Francisco 49ers and Carolina Panthers both should make serious plays for Terrelle Pryor in the offseason. He would be a perfect backup for their quarterback situations. He’s a big, strong, and ultra athletic quarterback who has the arm talent to make all the throws. Imagine battling Cam Newton or Colin Kaepernick and knocking them out of the game only to see Pryor trot on the field. That would be demoralizing.
    The Cleveland Browns should definitely keep Connor Shaw as the third quarterback. When Johnny Manziel rises to the starting spot he will definitely run one too
    many times and when he is hurt, Shaw will be able to step in and do similar things as
    Browns QB Connor Shaw. Photo Courtesy - Streeter Lecka, Getty Images

Manziel. Shaw was the second most productive quarterback in the SEC during the Manziel years. Both of them will learn the offense together and be able to help each other grow in the position.
    Boyd going to the Jets and Aaron Murray being drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs were the only two teams that drafted a quarterback with similar traits as their incumbents. Teams should stop looking to the New England Patriots scrap heap to find their next quarterback and actually make their front offices do their job.
    The idea that there are not enough good quarterbacks in the NFL is laughable, especially when you have your pick of every quarterback playing football. The new belief should be that there are not enough good NFL front office personnel

Hall Of Fame
    I like the idea there should be better FO personnel. That seems to have hopefully made a big difference for us.

Veteran
    Did I miss something????? Isn't Simms the #3?

Banned
    What? Having Geno Smith and Michael Vick as the back up is "leading the way" in the NFL?
    Uhhhhhhhhhh...

All League
    I have thought this a few times as well. I am not sure it was completely by design but we do have a very cohesive group of talent at QB, which is also why I think they "showcase" Simms and try and get a 7th or something for him before releasing him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    What? Having Geno Smith and Michael Vick as the back up is "leading the way" in the NFL?
    Uhhhhhhhhhh...

Clearly the point went way over your nose cone...

And you need some lessons on that wakeboard, buddy! ouch!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Clearly the point went way over your nose cone...

And you need some lessons on that wakeboard, buddy! ouch!
    Dude, the premise is retarded. Having two quarterbacks (neither of which are thought of as good) that have a similar skill set is not "Leading The NFL Into A New Era."
    Seriously, WTF.

Maybe Geno will have a break out season this year. If he does, the title of this article is still totally retarded.
    You guys are just inventing stuff now. Having Geno Smith and Michael Vick isn't pioneering a single thing.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Probably not by the start of the season, no.

1. Smith
    2. Vick
    3. Tajh Boyd

3 QB's, all vaguely similar in style and ability set, one (Vick) here only for one year, one (Boyd) the possible future "Geno Smith light" backup #2 for the long term.
    Last edited by Warfish; 07-28-2014 at 01:05 PM.

All Pro
    Just Terrible.

All Pro
    what if you don't have three similiar qb's available...not sure if its by design...

Banned
    Maybe it was by design. I'm not saying it isn't useful to have a back up quarterback that can theoretically slip right in to the offense without having to make any major changes, but the premise of this thread, that the Jets, with Geno Smith and Michael Freaking Vick, is "Leading A New Era" is quite the over reach.

It isn't leading squat.

It's a questionable, unproven rookie quarterback that showed flashes of quality play amid the possible inability to read NFL defenses, and a back up quarterback who turns the ball over more often than Mark Sanchez.

That isn't even a knock on Geno since he's coming off his rookie year, but calling anything involving Michael Vick "trend setting" is just making stuff up, especially when he's a back up.

The Quarterback position is the biggest ??? for the Jets right now. I have no idea how the author of this article can get away with spinning this into Ushering In A New NFL Era

Unless we're just pretending, ridiculous!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Yes you did.

Have you heard anything at all about sims so far in camp?

Rookie
    Dude, the premise is retarded. Having two quarterbacks (neither of which are thought of as good) that have a similar skill set is not "Leading The NFL Into A New Era."
    Seriously, WTF.

Maybe Geno will have a break out season this year. If he does, the title of this article is still totally retarded.
    You guys are just inventing stuff now. Having Geno Smith and Michael Vick isn't pioneering a single thing.
    Yeah, well get used to it. There will be some slow patches until the season starts.
    Conversely, I still can't wrap my head around the deadskins drafting Cousins the same year as they did Griffin when they have entirely different skill-sets. Add to that the fact they were cap-strapped with their 2-yr 38M penalty and it's more than a head-scratcher. They had tons of needs and didn't have FA or draft picks with those given to move up.
    Either they're the smartest team in the league or the dumbest. I lean heavily towards the latter.

Rookie
    Maybe it was by design. I'm not saying it isn't useful to have a back up quarterback that can theoretically slip right in to the offense without having to make any major changes, but the premise of this thread, that the Jets, with Geno Smith and Michael Freaking Vick, is "Leading A New Era" is quite the over reach.

It isn't leading squat.

It's a questionable, unproven rookie quarterback that showed flashes of quality play amid the possible inability to read NFL defenses, and a back up quarterback who turns the ball over more often than Mark Sanchez.

That isn't even a knock on Geno since he's coming off his rookie year, but calling anything involving Michael Vick "trend setting" is just making stuff up, especially when he's a back up.

The Quarterback position is the biggest ??? for the Jets right now. I have no idea how the author of this article can get away with spinning this into Ushering In A New NFL Era

I think the rest of us are just numbed towards today's "journalism". I don't know what the standards are today for one to get a job writing for these outfits.

All Pro

It isn't leading squat.

So I take it you think the Jets QB situation isn't the best it's been in years?
    Hmm, so hypothetically the Jets make the playoffs & gain a home field wild card vs the Patriots. Geno gets hurt & your saying that you would be 100% confident that you wouldn't see any difference playing vs Vick compared to Matt Simms?
    I don't know what kind of Pats fan you are but most of my realistic Pat fan friends think the Vick pickup was huge by the Jets & wouldn't feel that comfortable having to beat him in 1 winner take all contest.
    The fans of teams with top QBs have been so spoiled they can't even understand the importance of backups.
    If Parcells had done this in 1998 we might not have gone 8-8 after Vinnie went down.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    So I take it you think the Jets QB situation isn't the best it's been in years?
    Hmm, so hypothetically the Jets make the playoffs & gain a home field wild card vs the Patriots. Geno gets hurt & your saying that you would be 100% confident that you wouldn't see any difference playing vs Vick compared to Matt Simms?
    I don't know what kind of Pats fan you are but most of my realistic Pat fan friends think the Vick pickup was huge by the Jets & wouldn't feel that comfortable having to beat him in 1 winner take all contest.
    The fans of teams with top QBs have been so spoiled they can't even understand the importance of backups.
    If Parcells had done this in 1998 we might not have gone 8-8 after Vinnie went down.
    I've been saying Vick sucks long, long before he was a Jet. He's Sanchez with a different skill set. The guy is a complete turn over machine. Even when he has a nice 80 yard drive, he'll always finish it with a fumble on the 2 yard line.
    Honestly, he probably isn't a bad pick up as a back up to sit behind Geno, but leading the NFL into a new era of quarterback depth?

Nope.

Rookie
    The whole if you have two starting quarterbacks you have none is a cliche that I definitely agree with. The best teams in the NFL do not have two starting quarterbacks, no matter how you look at it. I could use examples but we could just discuss pretty much any team that has won a superbowl, or made the playoffs. none of them had two quarterback systems. Do you not remember the awesome 2 quaterback system where tebow played tight end?

Banned
    I've been saying Vick sucks long, long before he was a Jet. He's Sanchez with a different skill set. The guy is a complete turn over machine. Even when he has a nice 80 yard drive, he'll always finish it with a fumble on the 2 yard line.
    Honestly, he probably isn't a bad pick up as a back up to sit behind Geno, but leading the NFL into a new era of quarterback depth?

Nope.
    If Vick sucked for a "long, long time" according to your expertise, then why was he the Eagles starter last year? and Chip Kelly was going to reinsert him, however he said go with Foles while he stays hot.

I am all for Geno starting. But if you can make the case the Vick is the same or worse than Sanchez (currently fighting with matt Barkley for the #2) then you look absurd in my eyes