Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Day 5 Updates - We're back! :yes:

Red face Day 5 Updates - We're back! :yes:

After a day off we finally get to see some more Jets football again.

Practice starts at 10 am, and in about 3-4 days we have our green & white scrimmage, so it's getting closer and closer to real football.

What I'll be looking forward to today (feel free to add yours!):

- QB "Battle"
    We all know it's Geno's team so there really isn't a battle. He needs to continue to make progress each day however in order to take this team to the next level. We'll see how the "battle" goes today, the media as always is going to make a big deal about every single stat there is to compare these two guys.

- Injury Updates
    Hopefully we'll hear some good news today. TE Amaro should be back on the field I'm assuming. RG Colon should be back, they took him off PUP 2 days ago. FS Pryor...let's hope he's on the field but I'd doubt it, even if he doesn't have a concussion (which he claims). OLB Barnes probably won't come off PUP in the next few days.

- Guard Battle
    With Colon (likely) back Winters and Aboushi are going to battle it out at LG. Rex and Colon have been impressed with Aboushi so far. Let's see how many 1st team snaps each guy is going to get at LG.

- CB Battle
    With Patterson solidifying his #2 status I'm looking for McDougle to step up again. Seems like his last practices were quite after starting out fast. Kyle Wilson has been non existent in terms of the reports, I didn't hear a thing on him. Lankster is doing fine, he's probably a lock just for his special teams ability (I think he was among the league leaders in special teams tackles last season).

- Wide Receivers
    Decker has been everything we have hoped for...and then some. His crisp route running, the way he catches the ball so effortless, he's a true go to guy. But after that the rest of the guys have been inconsistent which is to be expected since they're all fairly young and lack experience. Hill needs to fix his concentration lapses. Focus! Same goes for Evans who struggled with a bunch of drops so far, he needs to step up ASAP otherwise I don't see him making this roster. Jacoby Ford has looked impressive so far, hope he keeps it up.

- Dinged up RB's
    Seems like all our running backs are dinged up. CJ, Ivory, Richardson...Powell is 100% and he's been very impressive so far but I want to see more from CJ & Ivory especially.

- Pass Rushers
    A bunch of guys are going to be fighting for the same roster spot since they're basically just sub package players trying to rush the QB. Barnes & Babin might be locks. After that we have Cunningham, McIntyre, IK (Practice Squad?), Fugger and Edds maybe.

- NT "Battle"
    Where's Wal...Ellis? I don't think Snacks is going to lose his starting job, no matter how well Ellis plays unless Snacks really falls on his face and performs horribly which is definitely not going to happen. But with a strong camp & pre season Ellis would get a lot more snaps (if he can stay healthy ). He has to. He's in a contract year, so either way we'll probably see the best of him as he tries to get a big payday next season. And that starts today hopefully. So far there wasn't much info on him and how he's been performing. The 3 guys ahead of him (Snacks, Mo, Rich) have looked tremendous however.

I'm sure I missed something.

I'll be adding some articles/reports as they come up.

Veteran
    Evans isn't going anywhere.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Good info on Lankster's ST advantage for a roster spot

Come onnnnn 10am est!!!

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...r_defense.html

Jets coaches surprised by how quickly Dimitri Patterson is learning their defense

CORTLAND, N.Y. – Saturday at Jets training camp brought the arrival of serious football, as the players donned full pads for the first time since the end of last season.

It also provided a more realistic showcase for cornerback Dimitri Patterson, whom the Jets believe can play man-to-man coverage, particularly press coverage, well enough to change the fortunes of their secondary.

The Jets last season allowed 246.7 passing yards per game, 22nd in the NFL. It marked a stark departure from coach Rex Ryan’s first four seasons, when the Jets ranked first, sixth, fifth and second in the league in passing defense. The Jets’ worst season average during that span: 201 passing yards allowed per game in 2011. Combined, the Jets surrendered an average of just 186.3 passing yards per game in Ryan’s first four years.

A jump of 60 yards in that average last season resulted from several factors: the inexperience of one corner (rookie Dee Milliner), the bum hip of another (veteran Antonio Cromartie) and, most importantly, the absence of the best corner they had from 2009-12 (Darrelle Revis, who now plays for the Patriots).

The Jets will have plenty of time to wring their hands about their two matchups with Revis, Oct. 16 in New England and Dec. 21 at MetLife Stadium. For now, they are focusing on acclimating a lower-profile player, Patterson, to their defense. The Jets signed Patterson in free agency after they either passed on, or failed to land, any of the higher-priced and more coveted cornerbacks available.

Patterson’s specialty is man coverage. Ryan’s defense demands a lot of it from corners, as did the defense used by the Dolphins, Patterson’s previous team. Patterson is also 31 years old and has played in just 15 games combined over the past two seasons because of injuries. Is he still capable of locking down receivers?

Tim McDonald thinks so. At this early juncture of camp, the Jets’ secondary coach said Patterson has “been a little bit of a surprise,” because “he’s further along mentally than I would have expected.” McDonald sees this in Patterson’s mentoring interactions with greener defensive backs.

“Just listening to him talk to the younger guys, you know that this guy is going to be an asset to our football team,” McDonald said.

On Saturday, McDonald also admired Patterson’s press coverage – a technique that requires just as much mental acumen as physical strength. McDonald said Patterson’s grasp of wide receiver spacing and down-and-distance situations allow him to “eliminate a lot of things” the offense might do, as he anticipates how his receiver will break once the ball is snapped.

Patterson, by his own admission, hasn’t been perfect. On Sunday, receiver Stephen Hill sprinted down the sideline, shed Patterson’s coverage and caught a deep pass in stride, though it was not clear if Hill got both of his feet inbounds. Still, Patterson believes his adjustment to the Jets’ defense has “been a real smooth transition” to date.

Patterson credits his past for this. He entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2005. He did not start a game in his first five seasons, playing for four teams. But he still stuck around the league. Frequently fighting for a roster spot, he understood the value of learning fast.

“I expect myself to pick up things quick, just because I’ve been trained, early on in my career,” Patterson said. “I had to learn quickly. It’s in me to do that, because that’s what I’ve had to do for so long in my career, just being in situations where I wasn’t the guy at the time. It just came natural, just coming in (to the Jets) and over-studying. That’s what I did.”

As a younger player, Patterson said he felt “a year-round sense of urgency to always be mentally prepared, because you know that you’re not going to get the reps that the starters are going to get. You’re not going to be in a rhythm. But guess what? You’re going to be scrutinized as if you’re in a rhythm.”

Patterson can play either the outside or slot corner spot. Right now, the Jets have him outside, as Kyle Wilson mans the slot. Wherever Patterson plays, the Jets would relish seeing him replicate his interception numbers from last season, when he appeared in just six games, but picked off four passes. Milliner and Cromartie each intercepted three passes last year. Milliner played in 13 games and Cromartie, whom the Jets cut and replaced with Patterson, played in all 16.

Ryan, while acknowledging Patterson’s lack of blazing speed, credited his mental sharpness for his success last year – and for his mostly seamless transition to the Jets’ defense.

“I’ve been really impressed with him, with how he is able to adjust to our system and terminology,” Ryan said. “You would think he has been in our system for a long time.”

Banned
    Sorry but it is still very much a war for the QB spot. Vick has been playing neck and neck with Geno. Personally, I am rooting for Vick seeing as he is the better player, but I could be wrong.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GM_Returns View Post
    Sorry but it is still very much a war for the QB spot. Vick has been playing neck and neck with Geno. Personally, I am rooting for Vick seeing as he is the better player, but I could be wrong.
    What are you vicks dad?

"Neck and Neck"? Geno has taken the 70-75% of the snaps we were all told he would - because him starting is the best thing for this organization not only in 2014, but going forward.

In his prime vick was nothing more then a highlight reel guy who could dominate a game just as easily as a good defense could shut him down. There is a reason he only has 2 career playoff wins - he can be shut down by good defenses. And that was when he was in his prime, now he is a good mentor for Geno and hopefully someone who should we need him for 2-3 games can come in and win and/or at least keep us competitive in them.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Good info on Lankster's ST advantage for a roster spot

Come onnnnn 10am est!!!
    I think Lankster could easily take over the slot CB spot if the need ever arose.

He has sufficient ball/coverage skills.

Hall Of Fame
    I like that we are starting to have guys at OL and DB that can potentially move around a little if need be. Solid depth all around it seems like.

All Pro
    Is that you, Mrs. Vick?

Edit: Oops, eaglenj already made essentially the same joke.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    What are you vicks dad?

"Neck and Neck"? Geno has taken the 70-75% of the snaps we were all told he would - because him starting is the best thing for this organization not only in 2014, but going forward.

In his prime vick was nothing more then a highlight reel guy who could dominate a game just as easily as a good defense could shut him down. There is a reason he only has 2 career playoff wins - he can be shut down by good defenses. And that was when he was in his prime, now he is a good mentor for Geno and hopefully someone who should we need him for 2-3 games can come in and win and/or at least keep us competitive in them.
    "Neck and neck" is the best thing that can happen to this team (assuming it's because they're both playing well, not horribly).

However, "neck and neck" also means ADVANTAGE GENO. The only way Vick is getting in is if he's head and shoulders better than Geno, and there's absolutely no evidence of that happening.

Instead of rooting for one of them, we should be rooting for both. If one never reaches the field, great -- but over the course of a season the players on the sideline often become just as vital as the ones on the field . . .

All Pro
    A seasoned veteran playing neck and neck with a second year player does not bode well for the seasoned veteran. The only way Vick wins the starting job is by knockout.

Practice Squad
    It would be nice for Geno to prove to be a solid starter. Realistically we won't know anything for a few weeks into the season.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post

- Wide Receivers
    Decker has been everything we have hoped for...and then some. His crisp route running, the way he catches the ball so effortless, he's a true go to guy. But after that the rest of the guys have been inconsistent which is to be expected since they're all fairly young and lack experience. Hill needs to fix his concentration lapses. Focus! Same goes for Evans who struggled with a bunch of drops so far, he needs to step up ASAP otherwise I don't see him making this roster. Jacoby Ford has looked impressive so far, hope he keeps it up.

I may have read too quickly through the other ones but I haven't heard any comments about Kerley. Is he injured?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I may have read too quickly through the other ones but I haven't heard any comments about Kerley. Is he injured?
    Nah, he's just doing his usual clutch things

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Nah, he's just doing his usual clutch things
    That's what I thought: business as usual.

Veteran
    from everything i've read Geno has been outperforming Vick. thats not to say Vick has been bad. Geno's just been better.

Yeah Kerley has gotten to a point where I don't really have to see him practice well because no matter what he always show up on game days. Very dependable.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Yeah Kerley has gotten to a point where I don't really have to see him practice well because no matter what he always show up on game days. Very dependable.
    Same deal with Nelson IMO. Haven't heard much of him coming out of camp - have to assume that's a good thing.

All Pro
    Reprots from Sunday were tha Amaro would be back out there today and he is:

Darryl Slater ‏@DarrylSlater 2m
    Jace Amaro heading out to practice with pads on. He said he would practice today, after tweaking knee Sunday. Looks like he will.

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz 3m
    Jace Amaro taking the field running. Looks like he's OK. #nyj

All Pro
    Seth Walder ‏@SethWalderNYDN 56s
    Calvin Pryor is not on the practice field. #nyj

Edit: Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 18s
    Calvin Pryor walking to field, not in pads or helmet. Won't practice. #nyj
    Last edited by Lithfan; 07-29-2014 at 10:16 AM.