Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raiders to San Antonio - Discusss

All League

Raiders to San Antonio - Discusss

According to the Dallas Morning News, Al Davis' son is speaking to San Antonio officials about moving into the Alamodome (at least temporarily). Although I haven't been in the Alamodome in 15 years, it was very nice and I have to think that it is better than the dump in Oakland.

Report: Raiders owner joins San Antonio officials to discuss relocating NFL team

(AP Photo)
    Oakland Raiders owners Mark Davis, right, laughs on the sideline with general manager Reggie McKenzie, left, during their NFL football training camp on Friday, July 25, 2014, in Napa, Calif.

SportsDayDFW.com

Published: 29 July 2014 04:17 PM

Updated: 29 July 2014 05:06 PM
    Related

Mark Davis, the owner of the Oakland Raiders, talked with San Antonio leaders on July 18 about the possibility of uprooting from California and moving to Texas, the San Antonio Express-News reported. The Raiders' lease in Oakland expires after the 2014 season.

San Antonio would offer the Alamodome as a temporary home. There are planned upgrades to the 21-year-old facility that could be ready by 2015, including new suites. The site is the home to the UT-San Antonio football team and the annual Alamo Bowl.

Davis would expect the Alamo City to build a new stadium within a few years and has indicated he seeks more of an intimate venue than a 'Jerry Jones-type facility.' And it would be expected to have a statue of his father, Al Davis, in front of it.

But, as the story indicates, talks about moving the team are one thing. Getting NFL approval is another.

"San Antonio only ranks in the mid-30s in the nation's top television markets and NFL owners including the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans would have to vote on the deal. And whether the NFL would allow the team to leave the sixth largest media market for the 37th remains unclear. Any team desiring to relocate would need the blessing of 24 of the league's 32 owners. Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of communications, had little to say on a potential Raiders relocation. 'We don't have any information about (Davis' meeting in San Antonio), so there is no reason for us to comment,' he said Tuesday. 'We have received no applications from any of our teams to relocate at this point, so there is nothing for us to respond to.'

The populous Texas city has been in talks with other NFL teams before, including the Saints, the Vikings, the Chargers and the Cardinals. The only major league franchise to call San Antonio home is the Spurs, the five-time NBA champion who shares the Raiders color scheme.

While in San Antonio, Davis also spoke with Spurs owner Peter Holt and Red McCombs, two influential and affluent figures in the city.

Hall Of Fame
    Does Texas really need 3 teams?

Move the team to LA, or better yet just fold them altogether.

What? I clicked for the camel toe pics!!

All Pro
    I'd recommend Tijuana. They could put an ugly whore on their helmet.

Unlike Florida, Texas can support a 3rd team, but this ain't gonna happen.

Mark Davis doesn't have the money to pay a relocation fee and moving to a smaller metro area/tv market devalues the franchise. Also he's just butthurt that city of Oakland is likely siding up with the A's for a likely long term deal.

His best bet is to suck it up and move in with the 49ers or take on a financial partner and move back to LA.

All Pro
    Well Santonio Holmes hasta play somewhere...

Hall Of Fame
    Move them to Oregon or something.

Fvck Texas.

All League
    Oh man... Gotta put 90210 on suicide watch.

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    Oh man... Gotta put 90210 on suicide watch.
    It's 90210. He will spin it and say the dry climate will revitalize the franchise or something.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    It's 90210. He will spin it and say the dry climate will revitalize the franchise or something.
    LMAO

Veteran
    I always wonder why Oregon doesn't get mentioned more in these conversations. The Ducks are super popular and the PDX - VAN Metro area is big enough. The problem is no nobody ever starts serious discussion. Portland sells out both its sports teams consistantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

I want Khalil Mack in the dispersal draft.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    I always wonder why Oregon doesn't get mentioned more in these conversations. The Ducks are super popular and the PDX - VAN Metro area is big enough. The problem is no nobody ever starts serious discussion. Portland sells out both its sports teams consistantly.
    No stadium for one, and it's simply not a big enough tv market.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    I want Khalil Mack in the dispersal draft.
    F that. Matt Schaub is a top 10 QB

Or at least one person thinks so.

Veteran
    They were going to build the first "dome" in PDX years ago. But the local group of voters called the Tom McCall society made sure it died. There kids have multiplied and probably will make sure the Blazers leave.

Hall Of Fame
    Post #7

Hall Of Fame
    TBH, Portland even works seamlessly with the Raiders name. The history of the city with all them underground Pirate tunnels...

Then Legalize the herb and that place will be fvckin bangin.

I guess Portland could if Jax could. Portland is a pretty wealthy city (if you don't count the armies of 20-something junkies who patrol the downtown at night). Bon Jovi knows what he's doing - if I'm an NFL owner I move a team either to LA or Toronto (4th largest market in North America).

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

they'll never go back - the town has been burned too many times by the Faiders

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Best View Post
    No stadium for one, and it's simply not a big enough tv market.
    Alamodome only has 65,000 seats and not enough luxury boxes. I don't think any market has an empty NFL stadium just sitting and waiting that meets today's owners' criteria of umpteen luxury boxes. San Antonio is a large market but it is also relatively poor. Dutch Boy is trying to squeeze public funds out of Oakland for a new stadium - problem is that city is beyond broke. Move back to LA already - they can play in the Rose Bowl (92,000 seats + 2nd biggest market) a couple seasons until a new stadium is built.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 07-29-2014 at 08:28 PM.