Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 75

Thread: Cardinals sign CB Patrick Peterson to 5-year, $70 million extension/$48 guaranteed

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,412

    Cardinals sign CB Patrick Peterson to 5-year, $70 million extension/$48 guaranteed

    Cardinals signed CB Patrick Peterson to a five-year, $70 million contract extension -- that includes $48 million guaranteed -- through 2020.

    Peterson is now locked up for the next seven seasons through his age-30 campaign. Richard Sherman received $40 million guaranteed on his extension with the Seahawks earlier in the offseason, but Peterson is two years younger and signed a longer deal. In terms of new money, Peterson will make $14 million per year, while Sherman received $14.35 million annually in new cash. Peterson was a top-11 cover corner at Pro Football Focus last season and is still coming into his own. At 6'1/219, he has the size to match up with any receiver.
    These CB contracts are getting ridiculous. Revis merits $15/year, at least, especially if $14 is the going rate (Haden, Sherman, Peterson).

    This is the money that Revis was asking for a few years ago. Nnamdi's Eagles contract wasn't even this close - and that was ridiculous.

    This has been the off-season for CB and TE to gain a max contract.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    These CB contracts are getting ridiculous. Revis merits $15/year, at least, especially if $14 is the going rate (Haden, Sherman, Peterson).

    This is the money that Revis was asking for a few years ago. Nnamdi's Eagles contract wasn't even this close - and that was ridiculous.

    This has been the off-season for CB and TE to gain a max contract.
    The salaries are going to start to rise again every year now that the cap is expected to climb 25% over the next 4 years. Peterson is a all pro level player at both returner and corner, but that is an awful lot of money for a position that is more vulnerable than most to injury

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Not Scout
    Posts
    14,807
    Well, that's great for us if our young bucks work out well.

    Any guesses where Revis ends up next?? I don't really have a clue. Maybe somewhere like St Louis or something? Maybe Cleveland?

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,539
    Nice work by Schwartz and Feinsod, they cost Revis millions this year, signing too quickly and they screwed him out of a HOF career with the one team that traded up to draft him with poor negotiating tactics, they should be fired, Jets may have wanted Revis back just not with the worst agents in football...
    Last edited by Ohio State NY Jets fan; 07-30-2014 at 05:38 AM.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Not Scout
    Posts
    14,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Nice work by Schwartz and Feinsod, they cost Revis millions this year, signing too quickly and they screwed him out of a HOF career with the one team that traded up to draft him with poor negotiating tactics, they should be fired, Jets may have wanted Revis back just not with the worst agents in football...
    They're a perfect match. He's just as much a scumbag.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    They're a perfect match. He's just as much a scumbag.
    Why, because he wants to get paid what he's worth.The only thing Players owe the fans is a good performance on Sundays, nothing else.Revis practiced hard, played hard, and was a mentor to all the other DB's when he was here. There are hundreds of retired players who can't climb stairs because of arthritic joints. Are the fans who once rooted for them there to help them climb the stairs? If you have a chance to make the big bucks, you go for it. You never know when your career will come to an end. Doesn't last long anyway.

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,412
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Why, because he wants to get paid what he's worth.The only thing Players owe the fans is a good performance on Sundays, nothing else.Revis practiced hard, played hard, and was a mentor to all the other DB's when he was here. There are hundreds of retired players who can't climb stairs because of arthritic joints. Are the fans who once rooted for them there to help them climb the stairs? If you have a chance to make the big bucks, you go for it. You never know when your career will come to an end. Doesn't last long anyway.
    Because of the way he goes about it.


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Nice work by Schwartz and Feinsod, they cost Revis millions this year, signing too quickly and they screwed him out of a HOF career with the one team that traded up to draft him with poor negotiating tactics, they should be fired, Jets may have wanted Revis back just not with the worst agents in football...
    These guys really ****ed up with him. No other way to put it. It wasn't only the contract money, but his status now has cost him untold income from endorsements. He's far less marketable now.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Not Scout
    Posts
    14,807
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Why, because he wants to get paid what he's worth.The only thing Players owe the fans is a good performance on Sundays, nothing else.Revis practiced hard, played hard, and was a mentor to all the other DB's when he was here. There are hundreds of retired players who can't climb stairs because of arthritic joints. Are the fans who once rooted for them there to help them climb the stairs? If you have a chance to make the big bucks, you go for it. You never know when your career will come to an end. Doesn't last long anyway.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Because of the way he goes about it.

    what is thst clip from, Willy Wonka?

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,412
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    what is thst clip from, Willy Wonka?


    Sure is.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    There seems to be a little bit of history rewriting going on.He signed a 4 yr deal in 2010. He never held out after that contract was signed. He was traded the year after he blew out his knee.I agree his agents have a history of playing hardball. I think dealing with them was something Idzik wasn't into doing. Plus he didn't want to pay that kind of money for Revis, so he got traded.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post


    Sure is.
    Im still waiting on that bubble gum that never loses its flavor.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Not Scout
    Posts
    14,807
    Cmon Genot... You forget about all his holdouts?

    and 2010 season he practically ruined TC.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    66
    **** Revis. I'm so glad I burned his jersey last year.

    Sherman and Peterson are better anyways. Revis is a shell of his former self.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    I am laughing for real right now, best .gif I've seen in a while. Where do you find this **** brah

  17. #17
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,211
    Revis' reaction



  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Cmon Genot... You forget about all his holdouts?

    and 2010 season he practically ruined TC.
    I didn't like the holdout. Maybe there was another way he could have approached it. But the facts are he was underpaid at the time for the player he was on the field.To you and many others he was being selfish.in his mind he was securing a future for himself and his family when his career is over.If thats his mindset, why shouldhe care about us st that point.It doesn't matter if you or I think Holmes is a butthole When he got that Li sfranc fracture, his career was over. He'll never be the same player, and he might never play again. That could happen to anybody, including Revis.Thats why im not as bu tthurt about the Revis money hunt. If he was a diva player, if he wasn't a team guy, if he dogged it in practice, or even once or twice on Sunday. Then I'd hold a grudge against him

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Not Scout
    Posts
    14,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Revis' reaction


    ***BREAKING NEWS***

    Darelle Revis plans to hold out of Patriots* Training Camp on heels of Patrick Peterson contract extension with Cardinals. Per sauce

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Why, because he wants to get paid what he's worth.The only thing Players owe the fans is a good performance on Sundays, nothing else.Revis practiced hard, played hard, and was a mentor to all the other DB's when he was here. There are hundreds of retired players who can't climb stairs because of arthritic joints. Are the fans who once rooted for them there to help them climb the stairs? If you have a chance to make the big bucks, you go for it. You never know when your career will come to an end. Doesn't last long anyway.
    Thank you for taking the opposing view, I agree with what you say, but I think the techniques that were used by Revis and his agents were distasteful to Jet fans, but I think part of the reason this happened was becaus Revis' original contract was not at all representative of how good a player he had become. He was the best CB in the league, but he was locked into a contract that wasn't anywhere near the level that some lesser CBs were getting paid (Aso, as well as Cromartie). The Jets benefited from that contract, but Revis was not happy. As a result he and his agents went to extremes trying to shakedown the Jets to modify the contract. That negotiation I believe left a bad feeling on the Jets side, so the Jets anticipating that they might lose him in another year anyway decided to take the picks and save the cap space.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us