Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the Jets are not a circus

All League

Why the Jets are not a circus

Not a good read for the SOJF.
    As the NFL pre-season is about to commence, one thing is inevitable: the national and local media will be unable to resist the temptation of calling the NY Jets a circus. Yap, Johnny "Football" Manziel is in Cleveland, Aaron Hernandez is in jail pending trial for murder, but it is the same old Jets that will be branded a circus. There is only one problem with this stereotype: It has nothing to do with reality.

Consider the following:

Wealth
    According to Forbes Magazine the NY Jets are the 14th most valuable team franchise in the world, worth approximately $1.38 billion. That is not 14th in the NFL, but of any team sport franchise on planet Earth. Now is this the profile of a circus club? Woody Johnson has consistently shown impressive financial acumen in the most competitive market anywhere. In my view, he will prove a very successful owner. But at any rate, if the Jets are indeed a circus, then someone is laughing annually all the way to the bank.

Commitment
    One could mention a dozen anecdotes here, but one should suffice. It is taken from Nicholas Dawidoff's Collision Low Crossers, the most important book ever written about the NY Jets and a must-read for any self-respecting Gang Green (and NFL) fan. Before a pre-season game against the NY Giants in 2011, it became known that a tropical storm would hit the area. It was announced that the game would be postponed while:

...[T]he facility would be locked and all entry passcodes deactivated so coaches wouldn't try to drive through the storm and keep working... Immediately, some offensive coaches began plotting to go straight to Florham Park, ahead of the storm, and stay there, locked in through the hurricane, bedding down under their desks.
    This is not a portrait of circus clowns, but of highly motivated and committed professionals who are obsessed and wholly committed to winning. Jets haters please take note.

Rex Ryan
    Rex has gotten a raw deal. He is often portrayed as a buffoonish character, the poster boy of the circus NY Jets, a coach who will run the bulls, get his body tattooed with the image of Mark Sanchez and lace his speeches with profanity. But Rex Ryan is a defensive genius, a great motivator of raw talent, a head coach who rarely experiences a losing season, and the person who shepherded his teams to two consecutive AFC Championship games with a mediocre (as it turned out) QB. Without any doubt, players want to play for him. At the same time he is maturing, becoming more media-savvy, more measured, but still fun and inspiring. To survive and thrive in NYC is no mean accomplishment and has nothing to do with nurturing a circus atmosphere.

The Fans
    Jets fans are long suffering ones, not having experienced any Super Bowl celebrations since 1969. But this is exactly the point. They have never stopped believing or supporting their team. They maintain a sense of enjoyment, of celebration though adversity (and they unfailingly make their presence felt during the NFL Draft as I got to personally witness this year). To be a Jets fan is to take chances, to build character, to eschew conformity, to show profound commitment and love of team. Jets fans always know how to have fun but they never condone nor represent a circus.

So there you have it: Despite the insistence of the media, the NY Jets never really were and never will be a circus. The team is simply too wealthy, has too many committed professionals working for it, is headed by an inspiringly good coach and has some of the most interesting and loyal fans in the league to be relegated to being a mere circus.
    Last edited by BRONX JET; 07-30-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Rookie
    Good read. Sadly, the author's career will probably be short lived.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree we don't deserve the circus label we get any more or less than any other team.

That being said, the examples given by the author are lame.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I agree we don't deserve the circus label we get any more or less than any other team.

That being said, the examples given by the author are lame.
    +1

I agree that the Jets are no longer a circus, but what the hell does that have to do with us being the 14th most valuable sports team in the world?

Hell, the f*cking CLIPPERS just sold for $2 billion.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Not a good read for the SOJF.

Why the NY Jets Are Not a Circus
    Aristotle Tziampiris 07/29/14 04:55 PM ET
    Tap To Read This Story Fast
    As the NFL pre-season is about to commence, one thing is inevitable: the national and local media will be unable to resist the temptation of calling the NY Jets a circus. Yap, Johnny "Football" Manziel is in Cleveland, Aaron Hernandez is in jail pending trial for murder, but it is the same old Jets that will be branded a circus. There is only one problem with this stereotype: It has nothing to do with reality.

Consider the following:

Wealth According to Forbes Magazine the NY Jets are the 14th most valuable team franchise in the world, worth approximately $1.38 billion. That is not 14th in the NFL, but of any team sport franchise on planet Earth. Now is this the profile of a circus club? Woody Johnson has consistently shown impressive financial acumen in the most competitive market anywhere. In my view, he will prove a very successful owner. But at any rate, if the Jets are indeed a circus, then someone is laughing annually all the way to the bank.

Commitment One could mention a dozen anecdotes here, but one should suffice. It is taken from Nicholas Dawidoff's Collision Low Crossers, the most important book ever written about the NY Jets and a must-read for any self-respecting Gang Green (and NFL) fan. Before a pre-season game against the NY Giants in 2011, it became known that a tropical storm would hit the area. It was announced that the game would be postponed while:

...[T]he facility would be locked and all entry passcodes deactivated so coaches wouldn't try to drive through the storm and keep working... Immediately, some offensive coaches began plotting to go straight to Florham Park, ahead of the storm, and stay there, locked in through the hurricane, bedding down under their desks.
    This is not a portrait of circus clowns, but of highly motivated and committed professionals who are obsessed and wholly committed to winning. Jets haters please take note.

Rex Ryan Rex has gotten a raw deal. He is often portrayed as a buffoonish character, the poster boy of the circus NY Jets, a coach who will run the bulls, get his body tattooed with the image of Mark Sanchez and lace his speeches with profanity. But Rex Ryan is a defensive genius, a great motivator of raw talent, a head coach who rarely experiences a losing season, and the person who shepherded his teams to two consecutive AFC Championship games with a mediocre (as it turned out) QB. Without any doubt, players want to play for him. At the same time he is maturing, becoming more media-savvy, more measured, but still fun and inspiring. To survive and thrive in NYC is no mean accomplishment and has nothing to do with nurturing a circus atmosphere.

The Fans Jets fans are long suffering ones, not having experienced any Super Bowl celebrations since 1969. But this is exactly the point. They have never stopped believing or supporting their team. They maintain a sense of enjoyment, of celebration though adversity (and they unfailingly make their presence felt during the NFL Draft as I got to personally witness this year). To be a Jets fan is to take chances, to build character, to eschew conformity, to show profound commitment and love of team. Jets fans always know how to have fun but they never condone nor represent a circus.

So there you have it: Despite the insistence of the media, the NY Jets never really were and never will be a circus. The team is simply too wealthy, has too many committed professionals working for it, is headed by an inspiringly good coach and has some of the most interesting and loyal fans in the league to be relegated to being a mere circus.

Dr Aristotle Tziampiris is Visiting Fellow at New York University's Remarque Institute. His views are personal.
    Where is this article from? Can you share the link?

All League

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Where is this article from? Can you share the link?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aristotle-tziampiris/

The Aristotle guy has quite a bio with a PHd in Political Science. His ground breaking publications are:

Why the New York Yankees Are America's Team
    The Return of Rex Ryan (Orson Welles Redux?)
    Why Football and Baseball Bring Balance to America
    Are the NY Jets Good for Our Health?
    Why They Hate the New York Jets

All League
    Good for Mr. Tziampiris. However he will find that people have a hard time taking seriously any persuasive essay that starts its final paragraph with "so there you have it." Honestly I'm a bit shocked that this was written by someone with a PhD.

But I'm all for the message. So go this guy! Although I think there are other more valid points to be made (Jets lack of arrests compared to some other teams, etc).

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I never thought the Jets were a circus. IMO "circus" was just a term the vulture like media of NYC came up with. Every team has its ups and down but when you are down in NY - WATCH OUT!

All Pro
    Rex Ryan
    Rex has gotten a raw deal. He is often portrayed as a buffoonish character, the poster boy of the circus NY Jets, a coach who will run the bulls, get his body tattooed with the image of Mark Sanchez and lace his speeches with profanity. But Rex Ryan is a defensive genius, a great motivator of raw talent, a head coach who rarely experiences a losing season, and the person who shepherded his teams to two consecutive AFC Championship games with a mediocre (as it turned out) QB. Without any doubt, players want to play for him. At the same time he is maturing, becoming more media-savvy, more measured, but still fun and inspiring. To survive and thrive in NYC is no mean accomplishment and has nothing to do with nurturing a circus atmosphere.

I wouldn't want any other coach here in NY!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    I never thought the Jets were a circus. IMO "circus" was just a term the vulture like media of NYC came up with. Every team has its ups and down but when you are down in NY - WATCH OUT!
    Don't forget the sarry excuse for some fans that tried pushing this agenda on us too

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Good for Mr. Tziampiris. However he will find that people have a hard time taking seriously any persuasive essay that starts its final paragraph with "so there you have it." Honestly I'm a bit shocked that this was written by someone with a PhD.

But I'm all for the message. So go this guy! Although I think there are other more valid points to be made (Jets lack of arrests compared to some other teams, etc).
    I thought the same thing. That's a terrible phrase to use. This guy is the clown.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Sorry to break the heart of a Phd but when the Jets traded for and kept Tebow, they were very much a circus. There was no football logic to the move, and interviews the multiple members of the Jets FO and CS were a comedy(tragedy) of people trying to justify the move while trying to distance themselves from it.

The only thing the article proves is that you shouldn't necessarily associate intelligence with academic credentials.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Sorry to break the heart of a Phd but when the Jets traded for and kept Tebow, they were very much a circus. There was no football logic to the move, and interviews the multiple members of the Jets FO and CS were a comedy(tragedy) of people trying to justify the move while trying to distance themselves from it.

The only thing the article proves is that you shouldn't necessarily associate intelligence with academic credentials.
    Wasn't Tebow supposed to run the wild cat in Sparano's offense? If so, there was definitely football logic to the move.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    No clowns, no circus. I'm not sure about FU's.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post

Different front office.

Since, the Jets have done little to attract attention, save Goodson's arrest, of which they offered him help.

Talking to the media is a regional problem as well. Players in other cities don't get quoted like they do in NY.

The Pats have had the circus vultures circling for a while now with Hernandez being the centerpiece.

It's funny to me when people make fun of Rex for talking, which is nowhere near his Super Bowl prediction trash talk anymore, but keep fending off and scoffing at allegations of cheating, not disclosing information in a murder case, etc.

All Pro
    The term "circus" has been preposterously overused.

What it really comes down to is that as long as Rex is here we'll be cocky headline grabbers.

If you're a cocky headline grabber and you win, you've got style, swagger, attitude. You back it up. Everyone praises you.

If you're a cocky headline grabber and you lose you're a bunch of bumbling butt-fumbling buffoons in the circus.

As far as public perception it's that simple.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Different front office.

Since, the Jets have done little to attract attention, save Goodson's arrest, of which they offered him help.

Talking to the media is a regional problem as well. Players in other cities don't get quoted like they do in NY.

The Pats have had the circus vultures circling for a while now with Hernandez being the centerpiece.

It's funny to me when people make fun of Rex for talking, which is nowhere near his Super Bowl prediction trash talk anymore, but keep fending off and scoffing at allegations of cheating, not disclosing information in a murder case, etc.

Until, you know, this past week.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Until, you know, this past week.
    From talking, right? That's the same as the multiple homicide associated with the Pats?

Jets gave disabled vets smart homes. Nobody talks about that.

Rex spends time with his son. Gets scrutinized.

Belichick violates league rules again and again and only excuses.

Perspective. Some people have none.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    From talking, right? That's the same as the multiple homicide associated with the Pats?

Jets gave disabled vets smart homes. Nobody talks about that.

Rex spends time with his son. Gets scrutinized.

Belichick violates league rules again and again and only excuses.

Perspective. Some people have none.

I didn't say anything about the comparison between the two. You stated that the Jets have done little to attract attention lately, when in fact they have attracted quite a lot of attention for their quotes. I'm in agreement with you regarding the unfairness of the media when it comes to handling these two teams. 100% on board with you there. This board spends more than half of its time arguing, debating, and complaining about this particular issue. For some posters, it's their entire agenda.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-30-2014 at 12:35 PM.