Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JI VIDEO: first weekend recap. Need feedback!

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

JI VIDEO: first weekend recap. Need feedback!

We've been experimenting with video over the past year and just produced our first original JI TV show up in Cortland this past weekend.

I hosted and was joined by our editor Chris Nimbley who has been our head writer for the last 5 years. If you have a chance, please watch and give some feedback. Obviously we are not TV professionals and are a little raw on our overall presentation but we hope to do something regularly and will get better.

Let us know what you think. Thanks.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Wtf? No feedback? You can be brutal and not risk banning.

All League
    Good job...I enjoyed it.

Undrafted Free Agent
    For a first time hosting/doing a show it was actually good. Chris shouldn't sink in his chair and lean in more to seem interested because when he spoke he sounded clear and knowledgeable. Great overall job on doing it if this is weekly I'll listen, it's better than Cimini or Mehta being on espn.

Hall Of Fame
    First 10 minutes in, you guys look very comfortable. You win me over immediately by calling out the media agenda of the beats and the local scribes.

All Pro
    As Mo Fuzz would say "it needs production values".

Just kidding, great job for the first go, but I couldn't resist. It is kind of long though, would you consider breaking it up into shorter clips?

ETA: we used to go to that lodge for ski camp as kids, it was a great time
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 07-30-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    We've been experimenting with video over the past year and just produced our first original JI TV show up in Cortland this past weekend.

I hosted and was joined by our editor Chris Nimbley who has been our head writer for the last 5 years. If you have a chance, please watch and give some feedback. Obviously we are not TV professionals and are a little raw on our overall presentation but we hope to do something regularly and will get better.

Let us know what you think. Thanks.

Candidly, we don't want to hear from people who are close to the team or are insiders. We have enough of that from regular media, people with far better insight and access, we can get that 24/7 and you all say the same thing.

What we need are videos of real, average fans being interviewed, hear what other people just like us have to say. Get 6 longtime posters, split sides over the 3 hottest current thread topics, 20 minutes on each topic, get a neutral moderator to keep order, let 'em go at it. It's Jets Insider, forum debate, just on video.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    I'd invest in a small lighting ring. Even just a few softboxes and basic lights would work. Also, dem graphics. Needs some work. Hit me up if you ever want some freelance help in that department, Deegs.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    For a first time hosting/doing a show it was actually good. Chris shouldn't sink in his chair and lean in more to seem interested because when he spoke he sounded clear and knowledgeable. Great overall job on doing it if this is weekly I'll listen, it's better than Cimini or Mehta being on espn.
    We def need to work on our posture and I think I use my hands too much. I'm half Italian. It's in my blood. Thanks for the feedback.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

agree with the general sentiment ... very impressive first time production.

you both, as could be expected, know what you're talking about with this team ... and it's wonderful to not shake my head in disgust 2 minutes in while I hear the talking heads making blunder after blunder of what really goes on.

While the information is excellent & you guys have a very solid back & forth banter with each other, if I were to nitpick I'd say some small fault in the Video aspect.

1 - Sean is more domineering than Chris on screen. So while you both are equally impressive with the information being provided, and how we're hearing it ... I'd probably take a small step or two to even out how you both visually appear. As the other poster stated, simply having Chris lean forward or Sean backwards more may do it. Perhaps position Chris on a taller chair or closer to the camera ... or something to that effect. Please do not take that the wrong way ... you both did a wonderful job.

2 - work a little on preparing us for the transition from you guys to the video clips. As lovable as you both are naturally we all get more excited to see or hear clips of "our guys" on screen. So first I'd add in more clips for us to see (I only was able to watch the first half tonight so maybe you did this more in the second half). Second, just set the scene a quick moment ahead of time before jumping to the clip. get our juices flowing that we're able to see this player doing this thing ... then transition over to the clip. Maybe you did this & I didn't quite pick it up, but I'd also say a line or two about the clips we've just seen upon your return to screen before moving on to the next topic.

3 - nice talking about the place you were staying at sponsoring the show ... and then revisiting how great they are 20 minutes in ... I assume this is part of the deal for getting them to sponsor ... so I won't complain much about wanting to hear about the J-E-T-S not the wonderful hotel & waterpark in the middle of nowhere!

4 - final thing that immediately jumps out is timeliness. I assume this typically will be being shown on the day or evening of the practices being discussed. However, if there is going to be a lag of a day or two it may cause a little strangeness in how players are being described. The QB's & Amaro struggled a bit more today. DD was awesome! We had a couple more bumps & bruises moved over to the injured player area. These seemed to be the major storylines of today. I wouldn't want your show to be a day or two behind if that possibly led to you talking up somebody who had just had a poor performance ... or vice-versa.

anyway, that's just my attempting to push some constructive criticism if I had to.

it really was very impressive ... truly hope that you guys continue with it!

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    agree with the general sentiment ... very impressive first time production.

you both, as could be expected, know what you're talking about with this team ... and it's wonderful to not shake my head in disgust 2 minutes in while I hear the talking heads making blunder after blunder of what really goes on.

While the information is excellent & you guys have a very solid back & forth banter with each other, if I were to nitpick I'd say some small fault in the Video aspect.

1 - Sean is more domineering than Chris on screen. So while you both are equally impressive with the information being provided, and how we're hearing it ... I'd probably take a small step or two to even out how you both visually appear. As the other poster stated, simply having Chris lean forward or Sean backwards more may do it. Perhaps position Chris on a taller chair or closer to the camera ... or something to that effect. Please do not take that the wrong way ... you both did a wonderful job.

2 - work a little on preparing us for the transition from you guys to the video clips. As lovable as you both are naturally we all get more excited to see or hear clips of "our guys" on screen. So first I'd add in more clips for us to see (I only was able to watch the first half tonight so maybe you did this more in the second half). Second, just set the scene a quick moment ahead of time before jumping to the clip. get our juices flowing that we're able to see this player doing this thing ... then transition over to the clip. Maybe you did this & I didn't quite pick it up, but I'd also say a line or two about the clips we've just seen upon your return to screen before moving on to the next topic.

3 - nice talking about the place you were staying at sponsoring the show ... and then revisiting how great they are 20 minutes in ... I assume this is part of the deal for getting them to sponsor ... so I won't complain much about wanting to hear about the J-E-T-S not the wonderful hotel & waterpark in the middle of nowhere!

4 - final thing that immediately jumps out is timeliness. I assume this typically will be being shown on the day or evening of the practices being discussed. However, if there is going to be a lag of a day or two it may cause a little strangeness in how players are being described. The QB's & Amaro struggled a bit more today. DD was awesome! We had a couple more bumps & bruises moved over to the injured player area. These seemed to be the major storylines of today. I wouldn't want your show to be a day or two behind if that possibly led to you talking up somebody who had just had a poor performance ... or vice-versa.

anyway, that's just my attempting to push some constructive criticism if I had to.

it really was very impressive ... truly hope that you guys continue with it!
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree it should have been released earlier but we had a few technical issues producing it. It was meant to be a dry run. Next one will be more timely and hopefully more polished. Thanks again for the feedback!

All Pro
    Maybe consider some more casual furniture? Like club chairs instead of sitting behind a table? Gives kind of a rigid formal look, also makes it harder for two people conversing because they're side by side and have to turn their heads completely sideways to look at them while speaking, hard on the neck and the viewer sees the speaker in profile - not the best camera angle usually. Also the building is beautiful but it's a little busy looking for a background.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

It needs more cowbell.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Maybe consider some more casual furniture? Like club chairs instead of sitting behind a table? Gives kind of a rigid formal look, also makes it harder for two people conversing because they're side by side and have to turn their heads completely sideways to look at them while speaking, hard on the neck and the viewer sees the speaker in profile - not the best camera angle usually. Also the building is beautiful but it's a little busy looking for a background.

I was gonna say something similar. Lose the table and find someway you guys can look at each other without breaking your necks. Put both of you on an angle somehow and you'll be more comfortable since it's more of a convo and not worry about looking straight ahead toward the camera.

And I say lose the suits. Put some Jets gear on! Nobody but Woody wears a suit.

All Pro
    I would like to see you both in some JI gear.

Maybe try doing the show standing up.

Needs more visuals, videos, player pictures and stats, etc.

Guests would be good especially if they are current or former members of the Jets.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    I was gonna say something similar. Lose the table and find someway you guys can look at each other without breaking your necks. Put both of you on an angle somehow and you'll be more comfortable since it's more of a convo and not worry about looking straight ahead toward the camera.

And I say lose the suits. Put some Jets gear on! Nobody but Woody wears a suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    I would like to see you both in some JI gear.

Maybe try doing the show standing up.

Needs more visuals, videos, player pictures and stats, etc.

Guests would be good especially if they are current or former members of the Jets.

Pretty sure both of you are thinking like how Grantland does their videos, which tends to work out well.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    +1

We def need to work on our posture and I think I use my hands too much. I'm half Italian. It's in my blood. Thanks for the feedback.
    I enjoyed it; keep it up.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Here is my 2 cents:

1) Chris DEFINITELY needs to work on his posture - numerous times I thought he was going to fall right out of his chair.

2) Maybe consider doing the JI training camp videos as daily updates, as opposed to a "weekend" update. This would cut the length of the video to something more reasonable - 51 minutes is pretty lengthy - which is probably why you had a little trouble getting feedback initially.

3) I would definitely come up with some kind Jets-related or Jetsinsider back-drop/tarp as opposed to staring at the rafters of whatever lodge you said you guys were in. Some additonal lighting would also help - which I am pretty sure somebody else already mentioned.

4) It would be cool if you guys could do some one on one interviews with some of the players and/or coaches to incorporate with your report.

Now all that being said, not a bad first effort Sean.

Rookie
    I thought you came across well, no issues with the hands. I'd like to see Chris sit forward, open up his shoulders and be authoritative, maybe a brighter shirt, or more trimmed, or maybe a tie, might add to that.

Maybe a Jets background or curtain, with things on the side or in front of you to pan to for the local flair.

Cut to the chase, little long. Understand that that was an initial introduction tho.

But good stuff from an insider point of view. Got it all over the National generic stuff from peeps that are really not knowledgeable of what the team is trying to accomplish.

I thought Chris' looks at the personnel, and yours, on the money. You guys covering breaking developments would be top notch.

Thanks!

It's a nice video, basically a video podcast.

1) Editing: I think this depends really on your budget and availability of time. But you might be better going with more editing, and about three camera. One focused in on each, and one wide pan shot featuring both. I think the person that linked to the grantland video is spot on. Much better editing there. Having the same view for 51 mins feels boring in a sense, and after awhile people aren't going to look, and treat it as a podcast and just leave the volume on while browsing other sites.

2. Posture: Already mentioned a few times, but yeah Chris needs better posture. If there is a significant size difference, the three camera idea would work to erase some of the differences.

3. Lighting and Background: The lighting is off-center here, where the sunlight coming from the back to slanted more to the left than the right, which makes the background asymmetrical.

4. Attire: It seems a bit formal for amateur football talk. I'm assuming the intention here is to have a friendly chat type show about the Jets, so you might want to go with more casual attire, whereas this seems more casual Friday at work instead of a weekend topic. I think you are falling inbetween elaborate and casual, which is something not too many people relate to, so should pick one end or the other. And yeah, maybe throw in some Jets Insider gear maybe.

5. Change of Pace: As I said earlier, can't have the same shot for 95% of the time, so should edit in visuals while still talking. I'm not sure what media rights you are allowed, but for example, when talking about Jason Babin, throw in some highlights of him playing or running around at camp. But guessing the tapes showed here were all live events most likely taped by you guys, I'm assuming there is some copyright red tape to cross over there.

I think you guys did well, especially for the first time. Just some feedback. I think otherwise it was pretty well done, especially considering the length. I actually like shows that talk about things at length, because I like to hear in depth talks about topics instead of being forced to basically just recite headlines and move on due to time constraints. I think that is going to be the idea that attracts people to the show, because if people just want the top news, there are tons of other media outlets out there already to provide the information.