Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new and improved Quinton Coples

Rookie

The new and improved Quinton Coples

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ster_year.html

CORTLAND, N.Y. – It started with the things he took away. No cheese, bread or what he calls “white sauces,” like mayonnaise or Caesar dressing. He replaced beef and pork with chicken and fish.

“Don’t eat any of those, and you can lose five pounds easy,” said Quinton Coples, in his second year as the Jets’ rush outside linebacker.

Coples went 15 pounds further, dropping about 20 in the offseason, slimming to the 270-275 range, in hopes of getting to quarterbacks faster in his third season. The diet idea came from Norris McCleary, a former NFL defensive tackle whom Coples trains with.

He also added things, to supplement his skills as an outside edge rusher. For this part of his offseason, Coples traveled to Atlanta and sought advice from Chuck Smith, a trainer who specializes in mentoring pass rushers.

Twice a day for two months, Coples performed workouts and drills for Smith. He assessed Coples’ pass-rushing stance and altered it. Smith had Coples dig the ball of one foot hard into the grass or turf, instead of simply getting down into his stance. Coples noticed an immediate difference with this new technique.

“If you dig your feet in, it gives you that extra (push),” he said. “So when you burst out, you’ve got that leverage, like track (sprinters) in the blocks.”

Will Coples’ offseason subtractions and additions make a difference for him this year? Last season, he had just 4½ sacks, after accumulating 5½ as a rookie, when he was an interior defensive lineman in substitute packages. Coples, always a lineman, struggled at times last season with his new position, which required some pass coverage duties.

Coples last year led the Jets with 15 quarterback hits and was third with 23 hurries. But too often, he did not finish sacks. He looks the part of an elite edge rusher – 6-6, with long arms. The disconnect between appearances and results led Joe Klecko, the former Jets star defensive lineman, to tell WFAN that Coples sometimes “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.”

Coples, the 16th overall pick in 2012, usually aligns along the defensive front. So he is considered part of a line that features two other first-rounders, Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson, who are among the NFL’s fastest-rising young players. The dominance of Wilkerson, a fourth-year pro, and Richardson, last year’s NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, only spotlights the reality that Coples hasn’t played quite as well.

Having reviewed his film from last season, Coples said, “there were some times I was right here” next to the quarterback, before he got rid of the ball. Confronted with that, Coples did all he could – from dieting to footwork – to improve the first step of his rush.

“Coming into this season, my job is (to) get there a little quicker,” he said.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said he is noticing a quicker Coples in training camp. On Wednesday, when the Jets held their sixth practice, Coples leaped during a team period to bat down Geno Smith’s pass at the line. On Tuesday, he chased down Smith when the quarterback scrambled, and was close enough to tackle Smith, if that was allowed in camp, said Jeff Weeks, the Jets’ assistant linebackers and defensive line coach.

“He made a great pursuit angle,” Weeks said. “He would’ve caught him. People don’t see that out of Quinton very often. He’s becoming a pro. He could have a monster year. The sky is the limit for him.”

Coples has always flashed at times on film, even playing heavier and at a new position last year. Weeks can still see a play he made in last year’s win over New Orleans. On a fourth-and-1 end-around with 7:54 left in the game, Coples pursued and made a tackle for an 8-yard loss, giving the Jets the ball at their own 44-yard line, with a 26-17 lead.

If not for that tackle, “they’ve got a chance to go down and score,” Weeks said. “He reminds you of a 210-pound guy, the way he moves.”

For all the changes Coples made in the offseason, he still leans, as always, on his modest upbringing and Christian faith to put criticism in context. He grew up in the poor city of Kinston, N.C., with a single mom who raised him and his sister in an apartment and, later, a trailer, while she worked as a janitor and at a gas station. Now, he is a millionaire.

“I come from a lot of tough situations, but at the end of the day, I’m in the NFL,” he said. “It’s really hard to be mad in the NFL, period. If you make it this far, you can’t really having nothing to be mad about or be down about. That’s how I look at it.”

Once a week, Coples goes online and watches a Baptist church service produced by the Atlanta-based In Touch Ministries. It reminds him to compartmentalize the supposed pressure on him to show people he can excel in the NFL.

“You can never please man,” he said. “I serve Jesus. I serve God. At the end of the day, it’ll evolve, it’ll develop, and people will still start to see it. It ain’t for me to tell them or show them, or whatever. I do it for Jesus. I do it for God. So at the end of the day, if Jesus can walk this earth and he was the only one that was perfect, and they talked (negatively) about him, why would I expect nobody to say nothing about me? Based upon my faith and how I live my life, people can never get to you, man. Never.”

Still, he acknowledges the difficulties he encountered last year. Between coverage responsibilities and needing to help to redirect running plays to help the linebackers, plus pass-rushing expectations, it marked a major change from the interior defensive line.

“I mean, who can juggle all that and still have to know all the defensive line drills?” he said.

He feels steadier in his varied responsibilities now. He also is using a new pass-rushing trick he learned from Smith in Atlanta: To get off the line of scrimmage faster, watch the offensive lineman’s left knee, because that is often the first thing he moves on the snap.

No longer new to the NFL or his position, looking sleeker and quicker, with a couple new tactics, Coples considered the expectations surrounding him this season. He smiled.

“Whatever is God’s plan,” he said. “Whatever he has set for me will happen. But definitely going into the season confident and ready to attack, and I believe God has got something special.”

All Pro
    The play of Q will make this D poison for opponents. When forced to throw teams will be under constant pressure. That could lead to pressure and bad decisions

All League
    Really nice article. I have big hopes for Copies this season. I feel like this is his year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Sounds like he might want to go play in Atlanta after this contract is over?

All League
    I have said this since before he was drafted; if he plays to his potential and works at his game he can be the best at his position and he can make guys like Mo Wilkerson look pedestrian. The motor and the lack of a true position are his two obstacles.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I have said this since before he was drafted; if he plays to his potential and works at his game he can be the best at his position and he can make guys like Mo Wilkerson look pedestrian. The motor and the lack of a true position are his two obstacles.
    I think we should trade him for a fourth round pick

Veteran
    Like he said, why would nobody say nothing about him? lol He may not have perfect communication skills but he sure has the skill set to take his game to another level. I hope we see it this year! It's been a long enough wait. It's time he puts it all together on the field.

All Pro
    Coples is one of a few players who can change the complexity of our Defense. If Coples becomes a double digit sack monster, our D goes from good to Elite.....

Very happy to hear he dropped significant weight(too heavy to play the edge last season) and has worked on his craft!

I hope he becomes our Terrell Suggs....all the talent is there...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

We also need our secondary to play better. Cromartie was a liability last season and Milliner struggled. I think Dee steps up and plays much better and between Dimitri Patterson and Dexter McDougle, we'll have a solid #2. Our Safety play should be better, AA should be improved and Calvin Pryor is going to be a stud IMO.

I think Coples will lead the team in sacks with over 10. I also like the addition of Jason Babin to help get some pressure on the edge.

Hall Of Fame
    If the Jets play more 4 man fronts like Rex Ryan indicated the other day Coples will be a 12-15 sack player imo. Harrison/Ellis, Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples. You can't double team them all.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ster_year.html

... traveled to Atlanta and sought advice from Chuck Smith, a trainer...

...The diet idea came from Norris McCleary,...
    Super Bowl

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    Lmao! Another fantastic idea courtesy of the resident geniuses!!!

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by GM_Returns View Post

Have fun while it lasts. Your shelf life is so short that you'll never get anything going; your stupidity will ring out forever, though. Captured for posterity yadda y adda yadda.

Too bad your intelligence gets overrun by your persistence.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Coples is one of a few players who can change the complexity of our Defense. If Coples becomes a double digit sack monster, our D goes from good to Elite.....

Very happy to hear he dropped significant weight(too heavy to play the edge last season) and has worked on his craft!

I hope he becomes our Terrell Suggs....all the talent is there...
    Agreed man. Between losing some weight, having a full year of playing his new position and entering his 3rd year in the league I think this is the season Coples breaks out and leads the team in sacks.

I've always loved his talent and thought he did a pretty damn good job last year (mainly the 2nd half of the season) once he got over the injury and never understood why some would want to trade him.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Good read, he looked sluggish at that heavier weight, that extra little bit of quickness he should gain could make a big difference

All League
    Hey Quint, Jesus just told me he wants you to get more sacks.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Hey Quint, Jesus just told me he wants you to get more sacks.
    From his lips to....

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    Agreed man. Between losing some weight, having a full year of playing his new position and entering his 3rd year in the league I think this is the season Coples breaks out and leads the team in sacks.

I've always loved his talent and thought he did a pretty damn good job last year (mainly the 2nd half of the season) once he got over the injury and never understood why some would want to trade him.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Would love to see him establish himself as a true edge rusher this year... Think he can make a real difference in getting the defense to an elite level... anxious to see him on the field..

Rookie
    Great article. Thanks. Updates what we've heard about Q.

This Front 7 is gonna be a fckin' Monstrosity. They're gonna get 50 sacks this year easy. This is a tight group on a mission too. They're all gonna be better than they were last year.

Throw in a little D.Davis, AAllen, and Pryor on the blitz and it's gonna be All Hell