Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith: 'I'm More Confident Running the Ball'

All Pro

Geno Smith: 'I'm More Confident Running the Ball'

pretty good Interview with Geno

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/vi...7-b23d771e260a

one thing that stands out to me watching the clips in the video.. Geno looks more explosive running compared to last year.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post

one thing that stands out to me watching the clips in the video.. Geno looks more explosive running compared to last year.
    Geno can run out of the pocket. He looked explosive when he ran @WV. Geno has good instincts running. Obviously he has to protect himself.

Anyway, that's a strength of Geno's. That maybe he needed a little coaxing from MM & Lee to cultivate.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post

Thanks for the read Scoops.

While i would never bash Geno, i do think the majority of his rookie season was piss poor, yet ended well.
    That being said, in my eyes Geno did 3 things last year that stood out to me

1. Geno had a pretty deep ball early on in the season. Kinda vanished late in the season.

2. Geno ran the ball far better than i expected him to. Flat out made some great runs.

3. Said all the right things to the media. Showed a lot of poise.

GO JETS!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    To me, Geno has always seemed like a cool, calm and collected guy. Sure, he gets pumped up and excited but he always seems level-headed and not easily rattled. I'm getting the sense that he really has a confidence about him this year. It probably comes from a solid offseason and a year of maturity, in addition to being surrounded by some better players and true professionals like Decker. And let's remember, last year's camp was dominated by the QB "controversy" with Sanchez and also Geno having an injured ankle for a couple of weeks. He just has so many more reps (both mental and physical) under his belt now that I think we're going to see a guy under center who takes control and truly leads.

We've been burnt so many times thinking we had the real deal at QB that I hate letting myself get a little optimistic......but I just get a sense that Geno will take the reigns this year and show the best of what people saw in him during his West Virginia days. The problem with Sanchez is that he regressed rather than progressed. It's rare that guys get worse with more experience rather than better. If Geno can simply make a normal progression from year one to year two then we'll really be in good shape. If you take his 3 or 4 best games from last year then you see a Top 10 NFL QB. The step to take this year is consistency and minimizing the mistakes that marred his 3 or 4 really horrible games last year.

All Pro
    I am so pumped to see how Geno does this season.

But I feel he will start off slow with mistakes again but then will get in a groove later on. Hopefully I'm wrong though!

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    To me, Geno has always seemed like a cool, calm and collected guy. Sure, he gets pumped up and excited but he always seems level-headed and not easily rattled. I'm getting the sense that he really has a confidence about him this year. It probably comes from a solid offseason and a year of maturity, in addition to being surrounded by some better players and true professionals like Decker. And let's remember, last year's camp was dominated by the QB "controversy" with Sanchez and also Geno having an injured ankle for a couple of weeks. He just has so many more reps (both mental and physical) under his belt now that I think we're going to see a guy under center who takes control and truly leads.

We've been burnt so many times thinking we had the real deal at QB that I hate letting myself get a little optimistic......but I just get a sense that Geno will take the reigns this year and show the best of what people saw in him during his West Virginia days. The problem with Sanchez is that he regressed rather than progressed. It's rare that guys get worse with more experience rather than better. If Geno can simply make a normal progression from year one to year two then we'll really be in good shape. If you take his 3 or 4 best games from last year then you see a Top 10 NFL QB. The step to take this year is consistency and minimizing the mistakes that marred his 3 or 4 really horrible games last year.
    Seriously....this is an awesome post. Could not agree more.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

Yep, I'm trying not to get too excited about him becoming the consistently great QB he's looked like at times...
    But damn if you don't start thinking about it whenever you hear him talk.
    We're gonna find out though starting in just a few weeks, and we're gonna know if we FINALLY got our QB for the next 10 years or so, THIS YEAR.
    Think about that shlt with Rex Defense... Please let it be so.

Practice Squad
    I'm not superstitious so I have no problem with being optimistic about how Geno has looked so far this year. He is bigger, stronger, faster, more confident and seems ready this year. He had some flashes last year of what he could be. Now he has so much more help around him so that he's not having to force things that aren't there. The guy studies and works hard. Really that is how you maximize your talent. He doesn't take anything for granted. We just need him to be solid. Doesn't have to be spectacular for us to win. Keep drives going and get the points that are there. I think he can do it. The last 4 games gave me some confidence and then his work this summer is making it hold up. I'm pullin for the kid.

All Pro
    It's about the little things when it comes to quarterbacking.
    His head was spinning last year. He had very little reps in camp, he twisted his ankle before the season started. He had easily the worst group of injured or neophyte receivers in the league.
    Each week, the skill position group was different, Holmes & Winslow didn't even practice.
    This year he's actually practicing HARD COUNTS so the opposing defense can't tee off on him.
    Once a QB gets his feet under him, coaches can start giving them a little more to handle. With Sanchez every single time that the coaches let out the rope he hung himself with turning the ball over at a record pace.
    MM let the rope out immediately, how many passes did he attempt in the rain in New England?
    The other small things they learn are down & distance pace. How many times have you seen the Pats in 3rd & inches situation rush up to the LOS & run that QB sneak with Brady before the defense is even set?
    Geno, because of his athleticism will be very hard to stop in those same scenarios when he's comfortable running MMs offense.
    Situational football.
    That's what gives the Pats the edge each & every year in the AFC east. They play great situational football. That's where Bradys smarts & Belichicks coaching make those 2 freaking plays that change the direction of the game.
    Like others have said previously in this thread, Geno has that ability to shake off the bad stuff. He's very very calm in the storm, which is a great asset to have as a QB. Winning 5 come from behind games in your rookie year? Plus, he was directly responsible for those comebacks using his feet, whether running for a 1st down or making a clutch throw.
    I've said this before & stand by it, I think Geno will end up being a very similar player to Donovan McNabb but with more accuracy & faster when he takes off with the ball. MM is the absolute perfect mentor.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    We're gonna find out though starting in just a few weeks, and we're gonna know if we FINALLY got our QB for the next 10 years or so, THIS YEAR.
    Think about that shlt with Rex Defense... Please let it be so.
    Here is the stat that made me want to keep Rex, and also why the bold is so damn exciting:

How many games have the Jets lost under Rex (including playoffs) where the offense scored more than 20 points? 7!!

7 freaking games, over 5 full seasons. 40 total losses, but in 33 of them, the offense never really gave the team a chance to win. On the other side, the Pats have only had 7 games over the last three seasons (including playoffs) where they DIDN'T score at least 20 points.

Now we have Marty, and Geno has all the necessary tools to be a better QB than anyone the team has had since Namath. It's cool to stay tentative, but there's reason to get excited...

All Pro
    Geno was not a great runner in college. (1.4 avg) For this reason, when he began running more towards the end if the season, it caught some bad teams off guard.

Decent running ability does not offset poor accuracy throwing, poor field vision, not being able read defenses and being careless w/ the ball.

I am cautiously optimistic that David Lee and MM have helped Geno improve in these deficient areas.

He is NOT a young Mike Vick ... not even close.

All Pro
    Geno does not have to win games by himself. The Jets want teams to know that he can use his legs and will do so.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm usually more pessimistic, but something about Geno - especially this year - really gives me confidence in him. Something about his body language, his tone of voice, what we're reading about him at camp, etc. It just makes me think he's gonna be special.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    It's about the little things when it comes to quarterbacking.
    His head was spinning last year. He had very little reps in camp, he twisted his ankle before the season started. He had easily the worst group of injured or neophyte receivers in the league.
    Each week, the skill position group was different, Holmes & Winslow didn't even practice.
    This year he's actually practicing HARD COUNTS so the opposing defense can't tee off on him.
    Once a QB gets his feet under him, coaches can start giving them a little more to handle. With Sanchez every single time that the coaches let out the rope he hung himself with turning the ball over at a record pace.
    MM let the rope out immediately, how many passes did he attempt in the rain in New England?
    The other small things they learn are down & distance pace. How many times have you seen the Pats in 3rd & inches situation rush up to the LOS & run that QB sneak with Brady before the defense is even set?
    Geno, because of his athleticism will be very hard to stop in those same scenarios when he's comfortable running MMs offense.
    Situational football.
    That's what gives the Pats the edge each & every year in the AFC east. They play great situational football. That's where Bradys smarts & Belichicks coaching make those 2 freaking plays that change the direction of the game.
    Like others have said previously in this thread, Geno has that ability to shake off the bad stuff. He's very very calm in the storm, which is a great asset to have as a QB. Winning 5 come from behind games in your rookie year? Plus, he was directly responsible for those comebacks using his feet, whether running for a 1st down or making a clutch throw.
    I've said this before & stand by it, I think Geno will end up being a very similar player to Donovan McNabb but with more accuracy & faster when he takes off with the ball. MM is the absolute perfect mentor.
    What you mention about Brady and the situational football is what makes him a very good QB.
    Without that he would be nothing special at all. He's VERY good when it comes to that.

Until proven otherwise GENO has a long way to go in reading defenses and throwing his guys open. But if you can just somehow bottle that ATL game who was very weak on defenses last year. Transpose that effort to and knowledge base to all the tough defenses teams we will face this like the pats, Denver, Bengles, chargers. I am going to keep me eye on how he takes care of the ball which includes the decisions he makes in throwing the ball and does he let his guys run after catching the ball.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Geno was not a great runner in college. (1.4 avg) For this reason, when he began running more towards the end if the season, it caught some bad teams off guard.

Decent running ability does not offset poor accuracy throwing, poor field vision, not being able read defenses and being careless w/ the ball.

I am cautiously optimistic that David Lee and MM have helped Geno improve in these deficient areas.

Not sure why he would have to
    Be Vick or even compared to him .

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Thanks for the read Scoops.

While i would never bash Geno, i do think the majority of his rookie season was piss poor, yet ended well.
    That being said, in my eyes Geno did 3 things last year that stood out to me

1. Geno had a pretty deep ball early on in the season. Kinda vanished late in the season.

2. Geno ran the ball far better than i expected him to. Flat out made some great runs.

3. Said all the right things to the media. Showed a lot of poise.

GO JETS!!!
    Geno is physically and mentally tough.

Toughest QB we have had in recent memory.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post

You do know that in college stats, they subtract sacks as negative rushing yards and in the NFL they dont right? So his 1.4 yard avg is EXTREMELY skewed.

That being said, he was not a great runner in college and no one will ever accuse him of being RGIII or Vick. However, he was never really asked to run at WVA, their offense was not set up that way - he is too good of an athlete and too fast to not be a 500 yard rusher in the NFL simply on scrambles and 3-4 designed runs per game.

The thing i noticed most in the video is how much thicker he looked. Geno, especially if he is going to run more, REALLY is someone who needed 10-15 lbs.

We have had our hearts broken by QBs before, but so much of that had to do with the OC. Schotty was terrible and sparano is a HS level offensive coach, we now have someone who knows how to develop a QB and more importantly knows how to get WRs open. This team won 8 games finishing 31st in turnovers - if we even improve to 15th I think we will have a very enjoyable season and once the playoffs start anything can happen

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Geno can run out of the pocket. He looked explosive when he ran @WV. Geno has good instincts running. Obviously he has to protect himself.

Anyway, that's a strength of Geno's. That maybe he needed a little coaxing from MM & Lee to cultivate.
    Actually Geno ran very little in college, he didn't play in one one of those read option spread offenses, so it makes sense that he is feeling more comfortable running this year. If you put a few good runs on tape and demonstrate the ability to break the pocket and take off, the threat of the run is actually more effective than the run itself. A QB only needs to run a few times during the game for it to have a big effect on the defense.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Here is the stat that made me want to keep Rex, and also why the bold is so damn exciting:

How many games have the Jets lost under Rex (including playoffs) where the offense scored more than 20 points? 7!!

7 freaking games, over 5 full seasons. 40 total losses, but in 33 of them, the offense never really gave the team a chance to win. On the other side, the Pats have only had 7 games over the last three seasons (including playoffs) where they DIDN'T score at least 20 points.

Now we have Marty, and Geno has all the necessary tools to be a better QB than anyone the team has had since Namath. It's cool to stay tentative, but there's reason to get excited...
    this is an amazing stat. that's why i think if we are even average on offense versus bottom of the pack we should do fine and make the playoffs. i think average is like 24 points we are at 18 last year.