Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geno - Another Reason For Optimism - Opposing Defenses

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Geno - Another Reason For Optimism - Opposing Defenses

Many of us agree that 2014 will go as Geno goes.

We've also discussed previously at length how strong our opponents offenses will be to start the season.

I don't recall much talk directed towards what & who Geno will be directly playing against though - our opponents defenses.

I think it's natural to assume a young QB will get better with more experience ... especially if he is able to win some along the way.

Soooo, for $h*ts and giggles ... here are the rankings of the opposing teams defenses that Geno will face.

First 4 opponents rank - 22, 25, 30, 16

Next 4 opponents rank - 23, 19, 26, 10

Third month opponents - 24, 13, 10, 21

Final month opponents - 31, 14, 26, 21

certainly some teams will play better & some worse that they did in 2013 but these are a good litmus test for around where the majority will finish again in 2014.

but

you telling me he won't play a team with a top 15 defense until Buffalo week 8 !?!?!

and that they will be the only top 10 (ranked 10th) defense the kid will face all season !?!?!

... ... Sign Me Up Brother!!!!! ... ...

Hall Of Fame
    Ok... Now I'm not even gonna be able to put pants on at all.
    This is a most delightful development.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    WADR lj, still comes down to Geno.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    I am just looking forward to watching this Jets team get on the field again to see what they are really capable of.

By the way Hall of fame game is Sunday night at 8pm on NBC the VaGiants vs the Jills for anybody just itching to see some football again.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    WADR lj, still comes down to Geno.
    Yeah, but it also comes down to the Chris's running all over errbody!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I am just looking forward to watching this Jets team get on the field again to see what they are really capable of.
    Aren't we all! We just need an average Offense!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Aren't we all! We just need an average Offense!
    I fully expect this offense to be in the top half of the league at least.

Awesome post. If we had to play a lot of teams with great offenses or a bunch of teams with great defenses I would prefer to go against the offenses. First, with the offenses if in one of those games the starting QB is hurt or gets hurt the offense becomes ordinary in a hurry. One or two injuries to a great defense usually do not have the same effect. Second, if the Jets defense is a good as we think think it the Jets should substantially slow down those offenses. Even if the defense is not quite as good as we think the defense should at least be respectable. On the other hand great defenses could handle a young QB and completely shut down the Jets' offense. Also, Geno should get some good confidence going against average or below average defenses. The key to me as usual is getting the turnover differential back to at least even. If so I am not worried about the schedule. It is not like Rex's defense has not had success against Rodgers, Brady and Rivers in the past.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Yeah, but it also comes down to the Chris's running all over errbody!
    That's only part of it if and remains to be seen like everything else. How many .500 teams or less have we played every year.

Hall Of Fame
    That's only part of it if and remains to be seen like everything else. How many .500 teams or less have we played every year.
    Obviously it remains to be seen, but do you not see the potential?

Hall Of Fame
    Obviously it remains to be seen, but do you not see the potential?
    To have an O that can help win 9 plus wins, and might not have the D of the past for this year, I'm not old but I've seen a lot of NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    To have an O that can help win 9 plus wins, and might not have the D of the past for this year, I'm not old but I've seen a lot of NFL.
    I've seen plenty myself and had my share of kicks right to the nuts by this team, but hold up. You're doubting the Defense too??

Yeah, nothing is proven, but if that's how far we're going, then NE, Den, SD, and all GB aren't proven either.
    The DB's, I know. I think the defense will be just fine and then some

All League
    Even against mediocre defenses, playing on the road was a problem for Geno last year. He needs to be better on the road. He got better in the last 2 road games against Carolina and Miami so hopefully he can improve more.

So... Geno improved in the off-season, but all the other franchises didn't?

Rookie
    Jordan, that's original thinking that no one has reported. I'm also guilty of having talked only about opposing passing attacks on the schedule. I guess being mired in mediocre offenses and strong defenses, we've all become conditioned to see how our defense will set up a win. For the first time in ages, we can look at opposing defenses to exploit.
    What a concept for a Jets fan!

All Pro
    Ok... Now I'm not even gonna be able to put pants on at all.
    This is a most delightful development.

You'd best be storing up provisions and plan to not leave the house.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Even against mediocre defenses, playing on the road was a problem for Geno last year. He needs to be better on the road. He got better in the last 2 road games against Carolina and Miami so hopefully he can improve more.
    His performance was directly proportional to the defense. He stunk against good defenses, and when he played a bad defense (Atlanta) people thought he had improved tremendously. And he did improve as the season went on - Cleveland defense was not mediocre. So the fact that he'll be playing mediocre defenses most of the time is very encouraging. I do agree with what Brian Billick said though, Rex should ease up on the blitzes at first to let the offense get in a rhythm and then start dialing it up. Our offense has never come out in a rhythm in games and he may be on to something here. And I guess he has some coaching experience with him (?) so he probably knows what he's talking about.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 08-01-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    You'd best be storing up provisions and plan to not leave the house.
    2 words...

Body paint

Hall Of Fame
    Seems like a lot of "bad" defenses had "good" games against us last year. There should be optimism bcz his supporting cast is not going to be a JV team this year.

Veteran
    when you're a rookie QB ranked 32nd there's a lot of room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    So... Geno improved in the off-season, but all the other franchises didn't?