Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Coples and Hill take that next step, WE ARE ELITE!

Veteran

If Coples and Hill take that next step, WE ARE ELITE!

On defense we are good but Coples taking that next step can make us GREAT.

We can be good on offense but if Hill finally puts it all together and can stay healthy we can be GREAT.

Maybe great is too strong a word but I think if they both take to that next level, it will have a ripple effect on the entire team

The cool thing is all really need from both is consistency and health. Both are athletic freaks, (Hill even more so) that are match up problems for any defense/offense. I know it is the popular thing on the board to bash Hill and hope Shaq Evans or someone beats him out but to me that is just silly. He probably the same age or even younger than Evans and sometimes it takes a player longer to develop than others. When you have a player with his ability, YOU HAVE TO BE PATIENT. Now if he falls on his face in the preseason thats another story, but if he continues to play well with a dropped pass here or there as long as it doesn't come a crucial time (see NE game), I can live with it.

Decker, Hill, Kerley, Ford and Nelson can be be a very lethal combination. (I didn't mention Saunders or Evans because I don't think Saunders is going to get alot of PT outside of special teams, and if Shaq doesn't get back on the field and show something soon he will either be on the PT squad, IR or worst case, cut.)

Coples is truly the X factor on Defense; along with Babin, can REALLY create match up problems for an offense. But unlike Babin, he is also great against the run.

Both Hill and Coples are entering their 3rd year and both need to step up their games; I believe they will.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Unfortunately, Coples and Hill can become the elitest of the elite, but unless Geno takes a big step up this year, this team will not be.

Coples stepping up will make this defense top 3.

Hill stepping up means what? On a 1-10 scale he's a 2. So now even if he's a 6?

Geno's the key.

Geno really is the key. As bad as our O was last year, we can be so much better if we just eliminate the turnovers. Seriously, we've been a bad turnover team since Rex took over. TO's are key.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Coples stepping up will make this defense top 3.

Hill stepping up means what? On a 1-10 scale he's a 2. So now even if he's a 6?

Geno's the key.
    top 3 defense and marginal improvements from Geno and Hill shoudl get us in the playoffs i would think.

Veteran
    I do agree about Geno; all indications are he is progressing. I guess I focused on those two guys because they are both entering their 3rd years and both came with very high expectations.

Coples, I absolutely agree with. Hill stepping up for the offense would be huge as well, but like a lot of posters have said, it falls on Geno to imporove.

That being said, I look at Stafford and Megatron and see how valuebale a wide receiver with his skill set is. I know Stafford has a lot of talent, but after watching some of there games, A LOT of his numbers can be credited to Calvin Johnson. There were so many times where he just threw the ball up there for Megatron to get. If Hill can go up and snag the football like that, he's essentiallty bailing out Geno and that's what a good WR should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by batman10023 View Post
    marginal improvements from Geno

Marginal improvement from Geno is good enough only if the AFC is as pathetically weak as it was last year. But I doubt that will be the case. IMO, Geno needs to improve significantly for this team to be a wild card.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Wow. Holy July.

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    Coples, I absolutely agree with. Hill stepping up for the offense would be huge as well, but like a lot of posters have said, it falls on Geno to imporove.

That being said, I look at Stafford and Megatron and see how valuebale a wide receiver with his skill set is. I know Stafford has a lot of talent, but after watching some of there games, A LOT of his numbers can be credited to Calvin Johnson. There were so many times where he just threw the ball up there for Megatron to get. If Hill can go up and snag the football like that, he's essentiallty bailing out Geno and that's what a good WR should be doing.
    Agree a big tall guy with speed is a qbs best friend... Look at what Moss did for Brady/Culpepper with and without him.
    Sadly Hill is not as fluid an athlete nor will ever be in the same class as them.

Hill stepping up would be big. He is the primary deep threat. If he can put up a full year healthy your looking at 55+ catches and 1k yards mostly game breaking big plays. We really havent had a deep guy sense Moss left. He could be huge if he can stay healthy. Geno could struggle and still put up 4k yards if Hill does his job all year.

You're half right. I believe if Coples steps up and becomes that edge rusher we've been missing so badly, then this D will be elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Marginal improvement from Geno is good enough only if the AFC is as pathetically weak as it was last year. But I doubt that will be the case. IMO, Geno needs to improve significantly for this team to be a wild card.
    okay. but i think with a top 3 defense we shoudl be able to make the playoffs.

Practice Squad
    OP, your AVI is very distracting.

That is all.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    If the core of the team stays healthy, Geno, Coples, Hill, Milliner improve and any of the rookies show up and contribute in good way, we can get a playoff spot and compete for the division title. It's really that simple.

Especially if Brady gets hurt, we have the inside track. I still do not think Pasts* fans realize how fragile that team's success is. It isn't 2007-08 anymore when your team had depth and experience everywhere. Brady goes down, the team is average at best, below average at worst. Billicheat and Kraft's ballsack-hold in the refs always gets them a few wins that they shouldn't though.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Wow. Holy July.
    It's August, bub

My belief is that Coples can become elite but Hill is just not going to get it.

I agree with everyone elses sentiment that as geno goes we go.

However, i want to add that the coaches have to help him in that. We have to be a dominating run first team that holds the ball, plays field position to kill the clock. They have to put geno in passing situations that he's comfortable with. high percentage passing attempts, plays he's familiar with and really good at. As he gets more and more experience i think you'll see a good qb in this league.

They have to find a way to mitigate his turnovers.

Go go geno we're counting and rooting for you

Veteran
    As I agree the post is a little off base, Couples and Hill do not change the face of the team, but where I think this is interesting is, if Hill does step up to an elite receiver he can make Geno look better, but how much is the question.

Listen, it's a known fact that receivers can make a QB look better then he is, but to be an elite team you need a supporting staff. You are not winning 14+ games (elite status) with one top receiver and a bunch of slouches and no running game. We will have a running game, but we need more support from the other receivers and we need Geno to know how to put it up in the area where Hill can get it but not be picked when he can't, that my friends will make the difference, being able to put it up in the area without the ball being in danger when Hill can't get it. Geno is a year or two away from playing with receivers like that. If Geno makes the jump, ya we could be pretty dangerous.

All Pro
    Can't forget Geno and Milliner....

Those 4 players can take us from avg/good to great.....

There is no I in Defense!
    All I's are on GS not HiLL.