Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If Coples and Hill take that next step, WE ARE ELITE!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Agree a big tall guy with speed is a qbs best friend... Look at what Moss did for Brady/Culpepper with and without him.
    Sadly Hill is not as fluid an athlete nor will ever be in the same class as them.
    So he has to become Randy Moss??? Who else has come close to Moss? Megatron and who else? Wow that is a pretty high and unfair standard to set. Hill doesn't have to become Moss or Megatron. If he can stay HEALTHY (people forget he has missed alot of games his first two years), along with playing with other threats like Decker, our TEs, plus the pass catching and running threat of CJ and Ivory/Powell/Richardson, improvement from Geno and the Oline, why can't Hill continue to develop? Today he caught a 60 yard bomb and then out fought Milliner (beaten both times) for another touchdown. Now before everyone gets on Milliner, maybe just maybe we can give Hill some credit? The kid is only 23 and yet some many people on this board have given up on him. I can see why he would have an attitude toward fans who think like that. I know we havn't won Jack **** in forever so I can appreciate our severe lack of patience, but for me, I am rooting like crazy for him to "get it" because it will get us that much closer to becoming a DOMINANT team and ending this SB drought.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Hill stepping up would be big. He is the primary deep threat. If he can put up a full year healthy your looking at 55+ catches and 1k yards mostly game breaking big plays. We really havent had a deep guy sense Moss left. He could be huge if he can stay healthy. Geno could struggle and still put up 4k yards if Hill does his job all year.
    Totally agree but I think we may see Ford in that role in a number of plays as well but Hill would definitely be the primary deep threat. When you consider the speed of Hill, Ford, CJ and even Saunders, we are going to have some very big and explosive plays on both offense and special teams. Add the route running, hands and deceptive speed of Decker, Kerley and even Nelson and Hill really has a chance to have a major impact even if he isn't Genos first or 2nd option on most plays (probably Decker, Kerley or one of the TEs).

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    As I agree the post is a little off base, Couples and Hill do not change the face of the team, but where I think this is interesting is, if Hill does step up to an elite receiver he can make Geno look better, but how much is the question.

Listen, it's a known fact that receivers can make a QB look better then he is, but to be an elite team you need a supporting staff. You are not winning 14+ games (elite status) with one top receiver and a bunch of slouches and no running game. We will have a running game, but we need more support from the other receivers and we need Geno to know how to put it up in the area where Hill can get it but not be picked when he can't, that my friends will make the difference, being able to put it up in the area without the ball being in danger when Hill can't get it. Geno is a year or two away from playing with receivers like that. If Geno makes the jump, ya we could be pretty dangerous.
    Since when are Decker, Kerley slouches? CJ, Ivory and Powell are as good a backfield as there is in our division and perhaps conference so don't get what you are driving at. I KNOW it is hard to believe as a Jet Fan but we actually have TALENT on OFFENSE. I didn't mention we have 3 TEs with the pass catching ability and speed of Wide Receivers.

It is GIVEN that Geno needs to improve, that is why I didn't mention it in this thread. But even if Vick is the QB, if Hill steps up, it can change the dynamic of our offense.

Strange as it is to say, this is very possible for Coples and even a possibility for Hill.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by addage View Post
    Strange as it is to say, this is very possible for Coples and even a possibility for Hill.
    Marty Lyons made it a point to comment on how much faster and explosive Coples looked today so that's promising....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    Coples, I absolutely agree with. Hill stepping up for the offense would be huge as well, but like a lot of posters have said, it falls on Geno to imporove.

That being said, I look at Stafford and Megatron and see how valuebale a wide receiver with his skill set is. I know Stafford has a lot of talent, but after watching some of there games, A LOT of his numbers can be credited to Calvin Johnson. There were so many times where he just threw the ball up there for Megatron to get. If Hill can go up and snag the football like that, he's essentiallty bailing out Geno and that's what a good WR should be doing.
    I'm not sure Stafford and Smith is a good comparison, I think Stafford has been afforded a lot of weapons over the years without producing to the level in which he was/is expected. Smith had almost no options last year with a decent running game.

Hill with that goofy looking jump again on that Geno bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Hill with that goofy looking jump again on that Geno bomb.
    This guys really needs to learn how to walk before he can run ... Goofy Jumps , TREX Arms ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicRat View Post
    You're half right. I believe if Coples steps up and becomes that edge rusher we've been missing so badly, then this D will be elite.
    Coples can step up, but can he step up each and every play, each and every week??
    Last edited by TebowCan'tThrow; 08-03-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Since when are Decker, Kerley slouches? CJ, Ivory and Powell are as good a backfield as there is in our division and perhaps conference so don't get what you are driving at. I KNOW it is hard to believe as a Jet Fan but we actually have TALENT on OFFENSE. I didn't mention we have 3 TEs with the pass catching ability and speed of Wide Receivers.

It is GIVEN that Geno needs to improve, that is why I didn't mention it in this thread. But even if Vick is the QB, if Hill steps up, it can change the dynamic of our offense.
    Ok, take the word "slouches" out and replace with "unknowns", and not that they are no bodies, we don't know what they will do in our scheme. When I made that statement i was speaking generally, hence the following comment of, we will have a running game, but our receivers need to step it up, it is not just Hill. Yes we have guys that should be sufficient but who knows. As well as the vets have played in the past and as good as the rookies look on paper, we need more than Hill and Smith to wake up, to many other unknowns. If the O line does not block it does not matter how good Hill or Geno are. It looks like Hill will step up, but if he is the only one we are doomed. It is a re-freshed offense, we need to come together. I'm just saying it is too early to make this statement, we need the complete package. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    This guys really needs to learn how to walk before he can run ... Goofy Jumps , TREX Arms ... ...
    He can't help himself. He jumped up and let the ball fall into his bread basket. Reach up with your hands and snatch the damn ball!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    He can't help himself. He jumped up and let the ball fall into his bread basket. Reach up with your hands and snatch the damn ball!
    So now we're complaining how he caught the ball? Guys get twisted, happens. He caught it but we need style points too?

I never doubted Coples just thought it was a matter of time. We definitely need the pass rush because we are facing every good qb in the NFL weeks 1-7.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    So now we're complaining how he caught the ball? Guys get twisted, happens. He caught it but we need style points too?
    There's a reason to complain. Same bad habits and wasted movements.

Geno and Milliner are the key IMO

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    So he has to become Randy Moss??? Who else has come close to Moss? Megatron and who else? Wow that is a pretty high and unfair standard to set. Hill doesn't have to become Moss or Megatron. If he can stay HEALTHY (people forget he has missed alot of games his first two years), along with playing with other threats like Decker, our TEs, plus the pass catching and running threat of CJ and Ivory/Powell/Richardson, improvement from Geno and the Oline, why can't Hill continue to develop? Today he caught a 60 yard bomb and then out fought Milliner (beaten both times) for another touchdown. Now before everyone gets on Milliner, maybe just maybe we can give Hill some credit? The kid is only 23 and yet some many people on this board have given up on him. I can see why he would have an attitude toward fans who think like that. I know we havn't won Jack **** in forever so I can appreciate our severe lack of patience, but for me, I am rooting like crazy for him to "get it" because it will get us that much closer to becoming a DOMINANT team and ending this SB drought.
    Terrell Owens I think..

Coples doesn't have to take the next step. The first half last season he played on one leg basically, the 2nd half he played like an All Pro. All Hill needs to do is stay healthy. When healthy he has performed extremely well, he was very productive. But that's the issue, his knees never held up. Hopefully all that is behind him now, because I'm sure he realizes if his knees become a problem again this season he's done as a Jet and will likely end up just like Danario Alexander.

LOL @ people thinking Coples wasn't productive last year. The guy a force against the run and had numerous QB pressures. Watch the games. Sacks aren't everything.

I think Hill will be better this year. Unless their name is Randy Moss, WR's don't usually breakout until their 3rd or 4th year. It took Coles 3 years till he broke out.. I see the same thing with Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Ridiculous! I suppose they need to be reassured by seeing him do it in actual games, which is reasonable although you do get the feeling they'd be bellyaching anyway. Once he gets his confidence up in games he might be able to start trusting his emerging skills more to do things with more textbook form.