Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question about optimism

Newbie question about optimism

Long time Jet fan (pretty new to this forum) who sat in that sh!thole of the Orange Bowl to watch Richard Todd and AJ Duhe ruin a strike shortened season for me. Obviously been through everything since then too.

Anyway, my question is this: There seems to be a sense of reserved optimism for many on here this year and I'm curious if this is SOP every August or does it really feel better than the past couple of years?

For me personally, the last time I felt good in August was going into the 2011 season. Feeling pretty good now and think this will be a competitive 9 - 10 win team.
    Last edited by bergenjets; 08-02-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Are you the same Bergenjets from the old NJO Board? Anyway.... welcome.

The depth at WR with the addition of Decker, a healthy Kerley, a dependable Nelson and the possibility that Hill shows up this yr has me confident that Geno can take a big step this yr.
    Adding CJ as that game changer to go along with Ivory's banging style will only help him as well.
    It all comes down to the OL, and in particular Winters and Aboushi. Can one of them handle the LG position and back up Colon if he can't stay on the field.

On the D, it's ALL about the secondary....

All League

Newbie question about optimism

Welcome Bergenjets. There is more optimism this year than the last two years. Two years ago the Tebow trade and Sparano hire gave many a deep sense of foreboding. Last year many on here were more optimistic than the uninformed national media (and common Joe Mouth Breather fan) but still saw 8-9 wins as the absolute limit, with 6 or 7 being likely as well.

You'll find on here that 25% of posters roughly have a eternally optimistic view regardless of season, 25% an eternally pessimistic view, 10% are trolls or special interest posters, and the remaining 40% have a fairly accurate assessment year to year.

It's the 40% you want to gauge in order to determine true sentiment, and right now consensus seems to be 8-10 wins.

Welcome again.
    Last edited by Astoria; 08-02-2014 at 12:35 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bergenjets View Post
    Long time Jet fan (pretty new to this forum) who sat in that sh!thole of the Orange Bowl to watch Richard Todd and AJ Duhe ruin a strike shortened season for me. Obviously been through everything since then too.

Anyway, my question is this: There seems to be a sense of reserved optimism for many on here this year and I'm curious if this is SOP every August or does it really feel better than the past couple of years?

For me personally, the last time I felt good in August was going into the 2011 season. Feeling pretty good now and think this will be a competitive 9 - 10 win team.
    Welcome man! Stick around.

I agree with you. This year seems a little different than the past few years. It's clear to me that the Jets are ascending on pretty much all fronts - Cap situation, Front Office with Idzik, youth and talent upgrades, and...possibly...finding our QB. And, I do think optimism should be reserved as you say. After all, we've been burnt badly before in thinking we had a playoff caliber team and then laying a 6-win egg. The Jets have made some difficult decisions that fans don't always agree with, giving a stiff arm to Revis when he hit the market again, keeping their wallet in the pocket while guys like DRC where available, etc. But prudent, deliberate decision-making has been exactly what was missing when Tanny & Co. were throwing money to Sanchez to improve his self esteem when Tebow was signed, when we let guys like Matt Slauson leave to keep Vlad Ducasse, when we goofed up the Cotchery situation, etc. So again, I'm with you, it does feel a little different and 2011 was the last time fans could have real hope that the team was going to be very capable on the field.

All Pro
    Welcome brother!

This is the most anticipated season since 2010! We are looking at an 8-10 win football team, which will hopefully be in the playoff hunt. If a couple of things break right for us, we may even get a wildcard spot and compete with NE for the division.

The last 2 seasons, expectations were tempered after Rex's hot start(2 afccgs) and the roster talent and depth dwindled, but with a new GM who's been very professional so far, a rejuvenated Rex and building upon a nice finish last season, there's reason to be hopeful again. We had a great off season, we made some key signings to fill up some holes, had a good draft, and our young guys are improving in the ota's and TC.

This team is still rebuilding, so we may not take the leap record wise that many anticipate and miss the playoffs again, but there's legitimate hope that we will and that's what most of us rest on here in August. At the end of the day, we go as far as #7 takes us, so we should all be rooting for his ascension. Our franchise depends on it!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Just another thought. Three big changes over the past few years.

Tannenbaum out, Idzik in.
    Sanchez out, Geno in.
    Schotty / Sparano out, Marty M. in.

Those are three significant changes and all have direct impact on the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by eboozer32 View Post
    Are you the same Bergenjets from the old NJO Board? Anyway.... welcome.

The depth at WR with the addition of Decker, a healthy Kerley, a dependable Nelson and the possibility that Hill shows up this yr has me confident that Geno can take a big step this yr.
    Adding CJ as that game changer to go along with Ivory's banging style will only help him as well.
    It all comes down to the OL, and in particular Winters and Aboushi. Can one of them handle the LG position and back up Colon if he can't stay on the field.

On the D, it's ALL about the secondary....
    Not me, but thanks for the welcome. Always been more of a looker than a poster on most of the boards although I do occasionally post on JN.

Glad to see that it's not just a case of training camp opium and that others are seeing the same positive changes that I am.

Charter JI Member
    bergenjet or bergenjets?

anyway, welcome or welcome back lol

Think about the strengths of this team...

DL - arguably the best unit in the league
    RB - upgraded and improved with terrific depth considering the now 3rd back could be a starter on many teams
    QB - that's right, I said it, Geno will improved, Vick could be the best backup anywhere
    WR - while possibly lacking a true number one the speed at this position is impressive and something unseen here for years, I fully expect a huge season from this group
    S - hear Rex say it himself he is thrilled with the players at this spot
    CB - can only be better than last year, possibly including the steal of this year's draft
    K - underrated star

coaching - while under undeserved pressure from the media all season, Rex proved his worth last year and has assembled a first rate staff
    GM - nothing to complain about from me so far, not a thing
    Ownership - gives the team everything it needs to be successful

I'm looking for 11 wins this season, make it happen!

Veteran
    Im optimistic... last yr, rookie QB, santonio was here. new offence, ivory was coming off of injury, Goodson... & a lot of other drama...now...its all football... :-) Ahhh...

All Pro
    Welcome. This D will keep us in most games. Less turn overs by the O will allow the D to have some rest. If the ST's improve to the 2010 level the Jets are going to surprise some teams. I don't remember a NY Jets team with this kind of speed. Of course the 81 team had speed, that's why Shula soaked the field in that nightmarish game you mentioned.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Welcome. This D will keep us in most games. Less turn overs by the O will allow the D to have some rest. If the ST's improve to the 2010 level the Jets are going to surprise some teams. I don't remember a NY Jets team with this kind of speed. Of course the 81 team had speed, that's why Shula soaked the field in that nightmarish game you mentioned.
    Turnover ratio, Penalties, Special Teams. Fundamental things that need improvement and things Rex is focused on. Things that are going to be improved, imho.

Consider the improved roster and team speed, and experience gained from the young guys already on the roster last year.

I'm very Bullish!

All League
    Welcome. Nothing wrong with a little optimism.

I'm looking forward to gauging this team a little more on Friday, as of now I'm feeling good about this team.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Welcome to the board. FYI, I was at Shea Stadium during the AFC Championship game in 1968 when we beat the Raiders to go to the Superbowl, but I unfortunately remember the Mudbowl that you are referring to.

My view is that we will be a better team than last year, and that is why people are optimistic. For myself, we were a 6-10 team last year that lucked out to 2 extra wins, so being better in my mind does not necessarily constitute a better than 8 win team, which we were last year. I am thinking 8 legitimate wins this year, and anything better than that will be wonderful.

My apprehension is: 1. Until Geno proves himself, I can't feel optimistic 2. Until secondary proves itself, I can't feel optimistic 3. Until "O" line shows itself to be better, I can't feel overly optimistic. My reason for better team: 1. Depth and improvements of wide receiver position 2. Overall "D" will be as good if not better than last year. 3. Starting running back is an upgrade to last year.

This translates for me into an "8" win team, and if any of my 3 listed apprehensions prove to be false, we will be better than "8" wins.

Hall Of Fame
    Trying to reserve my optimism. But can't help feeling optimistic because if things work out we're gonna be a juggernaut and will have our QB for the next 10-15 years for the first time in my life.

However I am always FULLY aware off how the Jets like to punt you right in the nutsack. So there's that.

Welcome!

There's one poster, speaks in 3rd person, total dick, don't talk to him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bergenjets View Post

Watching the Mud Bowl taught me to never watch the Jets with a remote in my hand.

TV's had remotes then?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    Watching the Mud Bowl taught me to never watch the Jets with a remote in my hand.
    My biggest disappointment as a Jets fan....by far. Been carrying around a real hate for Shula ever since.

At least Joe Willie and Weeb got the sommabich good

Veteran
    I didn't become a Jets fan till I was in high school in '93. Tell me at length about the Mud Bowl and it's significance? I am sorry for my ignorance.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Trying to reserve my optimism. But can't help feeling optimistic because if things work out we're gonna be a juggernaut and will have our QB for the next 10-15 years for the first time in my life.

However I am always FULLY aware off how the Jets like to punt you right in the nutsack. So there's that.

Welcome!

There's one poster, speaks in 3rd person, total dick, don't talk to him.
    +1 Fingers crossed on a great season. The timing is especially right with Brady nearing the end of his career. Once he does there will be a power vacuum in the division and the Jets have to be the ones to take control!

Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    I didn't become a Jets fan till I was in high school in '93. Tell me at length about the Mud Bowl and it's significance? I am sorry for my ignorance.
    The Mud bowl was first jets game I remember. It made me a true jets fan.