Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrimmage Game Thread

Scrimmage Game Thread

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Are you ready for some football ...

... in a semi-controlled setting in which the quarterbacks are off limits and there is no winner or loser on the scoreboard?

The New York Jets play their annual Green & White scrimmage at 7:15 p.m. ET Saturday at SUNY-Cortland. Basically, it's a glorified practice, offense versus defense, but there is live tackling and drives will be completed, giving it kind of a game feel. There will be player introductions, a halftime show (sorry, no Bruno Mars) and post-scrimmage fireworks, adding to the ambiance.

What to watch for:

Plenty of work for the starters: Rex Ryan, breaking from the usual routine, is planning to give the first units more snaps than usual. It's an interesting approach, considering they play their first preseason game in only five days, home against the Indianapolis Colts. The big offseason additions, Eric Decker, Chris Johnson and Michael Vick, are expected to play. Decker was limited Friday because of a minor hamstring issue, so that bears watching. Johnson is seven months removed from knee surgery, trying to recapture past greatness. Vick will lead the second-team offense.

Geno 2.0: The coaches have been talking up Geno Smith for months, saying he has made significant progress since the end of his rookie season. An intrasquad scrimmage hardly qualifies as a showcase, but it'll be nice to see him in a quasi-game setting, facing a good defense. We know he can throw, we know he can run. The focus will be on his decision making. Yes, he will lead the first-team offense, as he has done since Day 1 in camp.

New-look offense: With Decker and Johnson, and with a more-experienced Smith, the Jets believe they can be more balanced and explosive than last season. Of course, last year's unit didn't set the bar very high. It'll be fascinating to see how they use Johnson, who could be flexed out as a receiver in certain formations. Dude can catch; that's an under-rated aspect to his game. Prediction: Stephen Hill will make a big play; he always does. He's Mr. August. The starting offense has been inconsistent in camp, but it started to show signs of life Thursday and Friday. Let's see if it can carry the momentum into the scrimmage.

Missing rookies: The scrimmage is a great opportunity for many fans to see the draft picks in action for the first time, but some could be missing. Safety Calvin Pryor (concussion), cornerback Dexter McDougle (groin) and wide receiver Shaq Evans (shoulder) didn't practice Friday. As of Friday, Pryor hadn't been cleared for physical contact, so he's unlikely to play. Without a doubt, the rookie under the spotlight is tight end Jace Amaro, who has struggled with the offense.

Rebuilt secondary: The concern on defense is the back end, particularly the corners. Veteran addition Dimitri Patterson has been solid, but no one has jumped out, not even Dee Milliner. This is a young group, and there will be growing pains.

All Pro
    Anyone know where I can find a stream of the scrimmage? Does one even exist?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Anyone know where I can find a stream of the scrimmage? Does one even exist?
    http://stream.nbcsports.com/liveextra/

By Dom Cosentino | NJ.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The Jets have had eight training camp practices so far this summer, and Saturday night at 7:15 they're staging their annual green and white scrimmage, which will be open to the public at SUNY Cortland.

The scrimmage is only expected to last for an hour to an hour-and-a-half, and head coach Rex Ryan said Friday the focus would be on the entire team getting as many situational snaps as possible.

"We have a good list going, so you’re going to see more of the [starting] defense out there, [starting] offense out there," Ryan said. "Most of the work will be against each other, but there will be a time when it’s the [starting] offense versus the [second-team] defense, and vice versa. So, they’re going to get plenty of work and obviously, the [third-teamers] are going to get a bunch of work, the young guys are going to get a bunch of work."

With that in mind, a few things to look for:

1. Quarterbacks. We'll be looking at what GenoMichaelSmithVick can do Saturday night not because we expect either one to do anything to make the Jets stand up and suddenly announce one or the other as the starter. We get it: That'll happen when the Jets are good and ready. No, we're curious to see how GenoMichaelSmithVick both fare, given the ups and downs of the week. The D owned the O on Tuesday and Wednesday, but the offense struck for a number of big plays on Friday.

"We kind of needed that," Ryan said.

The offense added weapons this offseason, and big plays is an emphasis at this year's camp.

“That’s what we’re really focusing on this year is more big plays, more down the field, stretch the defense, and being that type of offense that defenses are afraid of,” wide receiver David Nelson said.

Ryan, meanwhile, said the running game—Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory are both having good camps—can go a long way toward setting up the passing game's ability to stretch a defense.

"I think there’s a lot of people that are going to have to come down and stop the run," Ryan said. "You’re going to have to be in eight-man spacing against Chris Ivory and Chris Johnson, the way our quarterbacks can run. And I think that will present some things on the outside."

2. Guard rotation. Oday Aboushi and Brian Winters have been flip-flopping at the left and right guard spots since the start of camp, with one of them having to split reps on the right side since Willie Colon returned from injury earlier in the week. That pattern seems to call for Winters to play on the left side Saturday night, with Aboushi and Colon at right guard. Will that be what we see? We'll find out.

Worth noting: Offensive line coach is pleased with the progress he's seen from Aboushi and Winters from year one to year two.

"At least, interior-wise, with Nick Mangold [at center] and whoever's in there, with their communication, I guess I'm not worried as much with continuity with those interior linemen," Devlin said. "They're working enough now that it doesn't matter where they are [on either side]."

3. Which lesser-known players will emerge? Ryan on Friday alluded to backup defensive tackle Leger Douzable's performance in last year's scrimmage, which was so eye-opening that Douzable basically earned a spot of the roster that night. Will someone else similarly come through on Saturday night? Some candidates we threw out there on Friday, based on their noticeably strong camp showings so far: Receiver Greg Salas, tight end Zach Sudfeld, safety Rontez Miles, linebacker Troy Davis, defensive linemen Kerry Hyder.

4. Defensive backs and penalties. The corners have come in for some criticism at this camp, but NFL officials will be watching more closely this season to see if there's contact from defenders five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, and if the DBs are doing any grabbing of jerseys within five yards of the line. The Jets make all employees do push-ups whenever there's a penalty at practice, and there have been a bunch of them at camp so far. At one point Friday, former Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff told NJ.com of all the penalties, "You can get to be [bleeping] Hercules around here doing push-ups."

5. Eric Decker. Decker was limited Friday because of a hamstring issue. Ryan didn't seem too concerned and said Decker would be out there Saturday night. But we'll be watching to see whether he isn't, or if Decker is limited in any capacity.

My breakout candidates for today: TE Sudfeld & OLB Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    LOL.
    Is that a BS link? Is the practice not being streamed?

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Douchebag...

Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Is that a BS link? Is the practice not being streamed?
    Yes it's a BS link. The practice will be broadcasted on ESPN NY Radio however.

I am out of market. Will I be able to listen to the game on the listen to ESPN app? Thanks.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    If Decker tweaked anything remotely near his hamstring, he should not be playing in this meaningless scrimmage.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    By Dom Cosentino | NJ.com

3. Which lesser-known players will emerge? Ryan on Friday alluded to backup defensive tackle Leger Douzable's performance in last year's scrimmage, which was so eye-opening that Douzable basically earned a spot of the roster that night. Will someone else similarly come through on Saturday night? Some candidates we threw out there on Friday, based on their noticeably strong camp showings so far: Receiver Greg Salas, tight end Zach Sudfeld, safety Rontez Miles, linebacker Troy Davis, defensive linemen Kerry Hyder.
    It'd be great to see Ik or Trevor Reilly step up to make the team and get actual reps at OLB this season. We need a young guy to groom for that position with older vets Pace, Barnes and Babin. Also don't sleep on Dozier. Here's hoping for some late round gems!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Darook View Post
    I am out of market. Will I be able to listen to the game on the listen to ESPN app? Thanks.
    I think the ESPN Radio app will have it but I hated that app and ditched it a year ago. You can download the Tune In app for free and it has 98.7. That's what I intend to use.

FYI NYJets.com has a header up for Jets talk live at 8:45 pm tonight with Geno and Rex. Be interesting to see what they say after tonights scrimmage.

Jets Insider VIP
    Just no injuries. Please God, no injuries.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    This is one of those rare occasions that I totally agree with you.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post

5. Eric Decker. Decker was limited Friday because of a hamstring issue. Ryan didn't seem too concerned and said Decker would be out there Saturday night. But we'll be watching to see whether he isn't, or if Decker is limited in any capacity.
    KEEP OFF FIELD.

ABsolutely zero reason to play him, especially when we need to see what the other WR's can show us.

All Pro
    If Mike Vicks team wins, will the QB competition heat up?

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    KEEP OFF FIELD.

ABsolutely zero reason to play him, especially when we need to see what the other WR's can show us.
    +1

One series max, please.

Thanks. Just got it.