Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Westoff: "The Jets look crisp"

Thumbs up Westoff: "The Jets look crisp"

"Not many penalties, getting off and on the field crisply....they look a lot sharper than usual this time of year."

Also, "Nobody is going to be able to run against the Jets. Nobody".
    Deserves it's own thread, pulled from another board, this is a very positive piece of feedback from somebody reputable, wish I heard the full interview.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Deserves it's own thread, pulled from another board, this is a very positive piece of feedback from somebody reputable, wish I heard the full interview.
    The front 7 appeared dominant tonight. Cant remember how many plays i heard them stuff the ball carrier behind the LOS.
    They are going to be impressive this year, unquestionably.

Rookie
    There was a snippet of him on SNY tonight.

Maybe he'll be on Jets Nation Sunday @7....A full hour version.

A few other tidbits I gathered from the reporting I've read

- We don't know how much Decker played, he had a tight hammy, and it didn't seem like he was on the field a lot, and when he was, he probably wasn't featured
    - We know Chris Johnson didn't play that much, by design
    - No Powell either at RB, and Ivory probably had a similar pitch count to Johnson, so Richardson and Green got a lot of work
    - Salas got a lot of "air" time on twitter and seemingly in reports, he's making a push for the roster, this position is a fascinating camp battle, but with Evans not playing tonight, a limited Decker, and we don't know the other WR rotations, maybe Salas got a lot of work, or the defense shutdown the other WR's leaving Salas as the player getting some of the holes, but if he was on the field with the 1's, you would have to think the Jets were rotating all of the WR's.
    - The defense seemed to have dominated on the LOS, but with no McDougle, and no Pryor, it seems like our secondary still played well, this is a positive development, and will make Pryor's return and the addition of McDougle into rotation that much more potent.
    - Glad to hear from Westoff that the flow of the scrimmage was crisp, that is what you want, especially with Geno in his second year, no turnovers, threw the ball away, made smart decisions from the most part on the field it would seem
    - Good to hear Vick running with the ball, showing speed
    - And the best news, no injuries, except for Cunningham, who is a roster bubble player anyway, but hopefully it's nothing serious.

I saw "Westhoff" and saw "cr" and "p" and was almost certain he was saying we looked like crap.

Good to hear. I would have loved to hear more about this crispness on, oh maybe, a play-by-by basis, but unfortunately Bob Wischusen and Marty Lyons thought everyone was tuning in just to hear their bland musings and thoughts about preseason and the roster.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    I saw "Westhoff" and saw "cr" and "p" and was almost certain he was saying we looked like crap.

Good to hear. I would have loved to hear more about this crispness on, oh maybe, a play-by-by basis, but unfortunately Bob Wischusen and Marty Lyons thought everyone was tuning in just to hear their bland musings and thoughts about preseason and the roster.
    Maybe he said crisp.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post

Hahaha! I thought the exact same thing ... First read I definitely thought ... Jets Look Crap ... Really glad it's CRISP!

All League
    A few other tidbits I gathered from the reporting I've read

- We don't know how much Decker played, he had a tight hammy, and it didn't seem like he was on the field a lot, and when he was, he probably wasn't featured
    - We know Chris Johnson didn't play that much, by design
    - No Powell either at RB, and Ivory probably had a similar pitch count to Johnson, so Richardson and Green got a lot of work
    - Salas got a lot of "air" time on twitter and seemingly in reports, he's making a push for the roster, this position is a fascinating camp battle, but with Evans not playing tonight, a limited Decker, and we don't know the other WR rotations, maybe Salas got a lot of work, or the defense shutdown the other WR's leaving Salas as the player getting some of the holes, but if he was on the field with the 1's, you would have to think the Jets were rotating all of the WR's.
    - The defense seemed to have dominated on the LOS, but with no McDougle, and no Pryor, it seems like our secondary still played well, this is a positive development, and will make Pryor's return and the addition of McDougle into rotation that much more potent.
    - Glad to hear from Westoff that the flow of the scrimmage was crisp, that is what you want, especially with Geno in his second year, no turnovers, threw the ball away, made smart decisions from the most part on the field it would seem
    - Good to hear Vick running with the ball, showing speed
    - And the best news, no injuries, except for Cunningham, who is a roster bubble player anyway, but hopefully it's nothing serious.
    Good post - I think the positives were both lines played well. We expect the strength of our team to be our front 7 and our O-line. Aboushi seemed to solidify what they have been saying about his play with solid play tonight. I'm not sure if he starts this year over Winters but one thing is for sure we have a solid backup for both guard spots which is important with injuries to Colon last year. I didn't hear Amaro's name in the play by play. I know he lined up in both spots - inline and slot but he didn't have a reception that I heard of. The radio announcers were awful last night, so they might have missed something. Im not afraid of him not getting receptions yet because he won't start this year, Cumberland did have a reception which is promising. I think by week 4 of the preseason Amaro will start getting more and more reps and by the end of the season he would have produced enough to probably supplant Cumberland next year. I've been on record of saying that I don't think Cumberland is a starting TE I think he's a solid #2. Will see what this year does for his development though.

A player that did flash was Coples. He made at least two really good plays one on the sack and chasing Vick out of bounds. Very promising start for Jane

Mods ban this troll

Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    Mods ban this troll

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Hahaha! I thought the exact same thing ... First read I definitely thought ... Jets Look Crap ... Really glad it's CRISP!
    Lettuce is best when it's crisp and it's also green.. However Lettuce not make to much of a scrimmage game during camp..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Lettuce is best when it's crisp and it's also green.. However Lettuce not make to much of a scrimmage game during camp..

And I hope that they romaine crisp and this isn't just a one time thing.

lettuce-pray.jpg

Hall Of Fame
    Have to say that Westy's opinion does hold a lot of weight IMO. He is not a fanboy and does not pull punches. If you want an honest assessment of something Westy is the guy to go to.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    And I hope that they romaine crisp and this isn't just a one time thing.

One thing we know for sure opposing offenses will think they hit a Iceberg when they cry;Please Lettuce score..

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    Good post - I think the positives were both lines played well. We expect the strength of our team to be our front 7 and our O-line. Aboushi seemed to solidify what they have been saying about his play with solid play tonight. I'm not sure if he starts this year over Winters but one thing is for sure we have a solid backup for both guard spots which is important with injuries to Colon last year. I didn't hear Amaro's name in the play by play. I know he lined up in both spots - inline and slot but he didn't have a reception that I heard of. The radio announcers were awful last night, so they might have missed something. Im not afraid of him not getting receptions yet because he won't start this year, Cumberland did have a reception which is promising. I think by week 4 of the preseason Amaro will start getting more and more reps and by the end of the season he would have produced enough to probably supplant Cumberland next year. I've been on record of saying that I don't think Cumberland is a starting TE I think he's a solid #2. Will see what this year does for his development though.

A player that did flash was Coples. He made at least two really good plays one on the sack and chasing Vick out of bounds. Very promising start for Jane
    Great point about Coples, he apparently was one of the stars, flashed all over the place, as did Babin in the pass rushing department

Ellis got a lot of "air" time on twitter as well, from all reports he looked dominant, general comments on defense in addition to the individual defensive mentions is that overall as a unit, the defense looked great, a better compliment than any individual player as players are buying into the "do your job" mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    Mods ban this troll
    For what?

Hall Of Fame
    Like the comments but I cannot help but observe how some people are all over Westy, agreeing with him when he says something they like to hear, yet he is a disgruntled former coach with an agenda to pump up his post-retirement analyst bonafides when he says something that does not agree with their "all sunshine every day" world view.

Funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Like the comments but I cannot help but observe how some people are all over Westy, agreeing with him when he says something they like to hear, yet he is a disgruntled former coach with an agenda to pump up his post-retirement analyst bonafides when he says something that does not agree with their "all sunshine every day" world view.

Funny stuff.
    Who are some people, would love to know?

As for Westoff's comments, he's been known to make some off wall comments, such as his comments about Milliner which I think was too harsh, but the man knows football, and he can be evaluated fairly either way without having the board ethics police get all smarmy about it. Look no further than Namath, sure he's a legend, but he has had a knack recently for saying things publicly that don't make sense, or can be controversial, it doesn't take away from his status as a team icon, but he can be subjected to criticism if warranted.

Veteran
    Great point about Coples, he apparently was one of the stars, flashed all over the place, as did Babin in the pass rushing department

Ellis got a lot of "air" time on twitter as well, from all reports he looked dominant, general comments on defense in addition to the individual defensive mentions is that overall as a unit, the defense looked great, a better compliment than any individual player as players are buying into the "do your job" mantra.

I hope Ellis stays healthy and continues to improve. I'd like him to replace Harrison on the dline.