Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Salas roster spot

Greg Salas roster spot

What are the chances of Salas making the roster? Most of the references about him during the practices and the scrimmage have been positive. I think he can be productive in this offense and personally hope he doesn't get cut in a numbers game.

You couldn't have posted this in one of the other dozen roster related threads?

I'd say they are better now than they were 2 days ago. He'd have to beat out Jacoby or Evans I guess.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinobreath View Post
    What are the chances of Salas making the roster? Most of the references about him during the practices and the scrimmage have been positive. I think he can be productive in this offense and personally hope he doesn't get cut in a numbers game.
    Very good.

Been saying this right along.

Evans, Gates & Enunwa are on the chopping block maybe Evans or Enunwa lands on the PS.

I think this does deserve its own thread as it poses a potentially massive issue for the team.

As of today (and yes we haven't even played one preseason game) Salas has easily outplayed evans and Enunwa. However, given Evans is a 4th round pick he is going to be extremely hard to cut.

Decker, Kerley, Hill, Nelson, and Saunders are all locks for the roster, so after that I think Evans and Salas could make up the group of 7. We just need to find a KR.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think this does deserve its own thread as it poses a potentially massive issue for the team.

As of today (and yes we haven't even played one preseason game) Salas has easily outplayed evans and Enunwa. However, given Evans is a 4th round pick he is going to be extremely hard to cut.

Decker, Kerley, Hill, Nelson, and Saunders are all locks for the roster, so after that I think Evans and Salas could make up the group of 7. We just need to find a KR.
    Ford?

I also believe Evans will be cut unless he does a 180 degree turnaround between now & the 1st week of September.

The facts that Evans was already behind from getting to mini-camp late & that he is hurt right now & missing even more reps, are really killing his chances.

Regardless of where he was drafted, Evans has a better chance of being cut, then he does of sticking.

My prediction is they will probably try and stash Evans on the PS.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-03-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Ford?
    Ford would be great as a KR, but then we can't keep both salas and evans - IMO 8 WRs is too many given the amount of young offensive lineman we have. I also don't think evans can make it through to the PS, too many teams like Cleveland or jacksonville need WRs and would want young players with upside.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Ford would be great as a KR, but then we can't keep both salas and evans
    Evans is most likely going to be cut unless he does some miracle 180 degree turn around between now and September.

The fact that he is hurt right now and missing more reps makes it extremely unlikely that he will turn it around.

You also need to remember, we drafted 12 players, so the numbers are already against Evans.

Anybody from the 4th round on down is probably cuttable - it will most likely come down to the 2 or 3 players we drafted that perform the worst - or suffer serious injuries in training camp & the pre-season.

Right now, Evans is on that list.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-03-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Evans is most likely going to be cut unless he does some miracle 180 degree turn around between now and September.

The fact that he is hurt right now and missing more reps makes it extremely unlikely that he will turn it around.

You also need to remember, we drafted 12 players, so the numbers are already against Evans.

Anybody from the 4th round on down is probably cuttable - it will most likely come down to the 2 or 3 players we drafted that perform the worst - or suffer serious injuries in training camp & the pre-season.

Evans needs to get on the field no doubt, right now he is caught up in a numbers game and has to something. That said, it is pretty rare for a 4th round pick to not make the active roster out of camp.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 08-03-2014 at 09:07 AM.

Banned

I can see that happening however a 4th pick is nothing to sneeze in terms of value and I would think at this juncture, they will be looking at potential instead of impact for this season. I would lean towards PS for him unless he just can't turn the corner and continues to stink up the joint. Working in his favor for PS is that Enunwa hasn't shown squat.

I don't believe Evans will be cut. For one thing, he did not have the benefit of the off season program which has put him behind, and it is still early enough in the pre-season (games haven't even started yet) that he will have opportunities to show what he can do.

More likely, he may end up on IR if he continues to miss time.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Old Joe View Post
    I can see that happening however a 4th pick is nothing to sneeze in terms of value and I would think at this juncture, they will be looking at potential instead of impact for this season. I would lean towards PS for him unless he just can't turn the corner and continues to stink up the joint. Working in his favor for PS is that Enunwa hasn't shown squat.
    Evans could very well land on the PS - but the key for that to happen would be for Evans to make it through waivers unclaimed by any other team - and there are no guarantees that will happen.

If he did make it through waivers then yes, I'd be all for putting Evans on the PS.

Either way, right now, he is a prime candidate to get cut barring some unforeseen miracle.

Hall Of Fame
    Evans could very well land on the PS - but the key for that to happen would be for Evans to make it through waivers unclaimed by any other team - and there are no guarantees that will happen.
    Which is why it rare that 4th rounders get cut out of camp.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I don't believe Evans will be cut. For one thing, he did not have the benefit of the off season program which has put him behind, and it is still early enough in the pre-season (games haven't even started yet) that he will have opportunities to show what he can do.

More likely, he may end up on IR if he continues to miss time.
    That's possible, but he still wouldn't be a factor where the final 53 man roster is concerned.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Which is why it rare that 4th rounders get cut out of camp.
    It's also rare that a team drafts 12 players in one draft and that is a factor.

Losing one 4th round pick, when we had three 4th round picks in this draft, wouldn't be the end of the world.

Hall Of Fame
    It's also rare that a team drafts 12 players in one draft and that is a factor.
    It actually isn't a factor, do you know what % of 4th round picks make the active roster out of camp?

If Evans is cut then Idzik gets a massive black mark on his draft and overall understanding of how to compile a roster. Using all 12 picks was a VERY big risk and if we are cutting 4th round guys because of a glut at the WR position then he really screwed up managing the roster. Plus - evans has an excellent size/speed combo who needs time to develop, cutting him after 1 TC is not what you want to do with a player like him and would be even more indicative of the organization screwing up the management of the WR position.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    It actually isn't a factor, do you know what % of 4th round picks make the active roster out of camp?
    It is a factor when you had 3 4th round picks in one draft.

All League
    When are the first cuts?

Hall Of Fame
    If Evans is cut then Idzik gets a massive black mark on his draft and overall understanding of how to compile a roster. Using all 12 picks was a VERY big risk and if we are cutting 4th round guys because of a glut at the WR position then he really screwed up managing the roster. Plus - evans has an excellent size/speed combo who needs time to develop, cutting him after 1 TC is not what you want to do with a player like him and would be even more indicative of the organization screwing up the management of the WR position.
    Exactly, in such a rich WR draft, and with the need for receivers this team had, it wouldn't be a good look to cut bait on a 4th round WR before the season starts.

Hall Of Fame
    It is a factor when you had 3 4th round picks in one draft.
    No. Players taken in the top half of the draft rarely get cut out of camp.