Thread: Jets looking to have 2015 Training Camp on Long Island?

Rookie

Jets looking to have 2015 Training Camp on Long Island?

1. Homeward bound? It's early to be talking about next summer, but the Jets' Long Island-based fans will appreciate this. SUNY-Farmingdale is under consideration as the team's training-camp home in 2015, according to sources. In fact, Jets staffers already have checked out the Farmingdale facilities. The school doesn't have a football team -- therefore, no football field -- but it has intriguing potential because it has plenty of space for fields and extensive on-site parking. The Jets haven't made a final decision -- they're exploring options, including Cortland -- but I'm hearing that Farmingdale is gaining momentum.

It could come down to a football vs. marketing decision for the Jets. From a football standpoint, Cortland is ideal because of its facilities and remote location -- 200 miles from Florham Park, N.J., isolating the players and coaches from friends and family. That means fewer distractions, a great place to build team chemistry. Rex Ryan loves it here. On the downside, the Jets are a long way from their season-ticket holders, and returning to their Long Island roots would help them reconnect with a segment of the fan base that believes it has been ignored since the team bolted Hofstra in 2008. Farmingdale probably would draw bigger crowds than Cortland, and never forget this: The NFL is a business.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-return-to-l-i

As a Long Islander, I would love for camp to come back here after the team left Hofstra. I'm trying to go to Cortland for the first time for training camp in the coming weeks but my apathy for going the past few years has been an obvious factor in not traveling up there. I'm sure if this move to Farmingdale were to happen would be awesome not just for the NY area fans, but the team.

All League

Jets looking to have 2015 Training Camp on Long Island?

I'm not saying this for selfish reasons (I live in Jersey), I fully support a move back to LI for camp. You've gotta think the players would feed off the energy of the fans each day. Putting camp in the heart of the fanbase also means you'll be getting a lot of young fans involved (i.e. future $$$$ for the NFL) who currently aren't road trip-feasible to make a long haul to Cortland.

I get that Cortland offers secluded team building, but it's not exactly like that's put us over the top.

If seclusion is desired, there's always Stony Brook.

All League
    Here's how I would see it breakdown:

Rex still coach: cortland

Rex no longer coach: LI

The more the Jets grow their fan base in the northern half of the state the less support the Bills will have, which in turn means the more likelihood they move to Toronto or somewhere else.

What, the Jets have not patronized the Long Island fan base enough already? Did the lease run out on that rented utility closet in Manhattan that was serving as their NY-state headquarters?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by rex-n-effect View Post
    The more the Jets grow their fan base in the northern half of the state the less support the Bills will have, which in turn means the more likelihood they move to Toronto or somewhere else.
    I don't think three weeks of training camp is going to make a dent in Bills country versus 16 weeks of force-televised Bills games.

Honest question though, do you want the Bills to move to Toronto? They haven't made the playoffs in like 14 years. I wouldn't want to shake things up, they're doing just "fine" in Buffalo.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Seems to me that Stony Brook would be a better choice than Farmingdale but if the did choose to have camp there that would be awesome!

All Pro
    Aren't there any facilities on Long Island that already have football fields? Would the university build some just for the Jets?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Aren't there any facilities on Long Island that already have football fields? Would the university build some just for the Jets?
    Stony Brook has a team, they just joined the CAA a few years ago (which is the SEC of 1-AA). I'd imagine their facilities are passable. Certainly moreso than Cortland.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Seems to me that Stony Brook would be a better choice than Farmingdale but if the did choose to have camp there that would be awesome!
    Anywhere would be good!

How 'bout a new Stadium over by Citifield while they're at it

Bring 'em home Woody

I live in Rockland, and I'm pretty sure the ride to Long Island won't be much quicker than Cortland for Northern NY/NJ Metro area even thou the mileage would say otherwise.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Here's how I would see it breakdown:

Rex still coach: cortland

Rex no longer coach: LI
    Based on what?

What makes you think that Rex controls where they hold camp other than he wants the team away.