Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety

Practice Squad

Safety

The Jets safety spot has gone from a weakness to almost a strength. Given that they may play 3 safeties at times, it becomes important to keep 4 maybe even 5 of the current group. But who do you cut?

Pryor- First round pick is going nowhere
    Allen - Seems like #2 or #3 in depth chart
    Landry - Seems like the #2 or #3
    Jarret - Last year's starter and has shined in camp according to Rex
    Miles - Shined in the scrimmage and Rex keeps bringing him up. Good special teams player too
    Bush - 4th round pick a few years ago. We don't hear much about him but Rex seems to like him (mentions him every now and then.

I think it is possible they keep 5 and cut Bush.

All League
    I'm hating the Pryor pick more and more. Brandin Cooks has been a phenom at Saints camp

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I'm hating the Pryor pick more and more. Brandin Cooks has been a phenom at Saints camp
    It was a ridiculous pick. Has nothing to do with Pryor, just a question of need.

All League
    First-round WR Brandin Cooks has been the "star" of the "entire" Saints training camp so far.

Beat writers, coaches and teammates have been raving about Cooks on an almost daily basis since camp opened. It continues on Saturday as the reigning Biletnikoff Award winner lit up the Saints defense in an intrasquad scrimmage for an unofficial six catches with one touchdown. Per beat man Mike Triplett, "it really has been remarkable how consistent and versatile Cooks has been." He's going to play inside the numbers as a versatile chess piece for Sean Payton and Drew Brees, giving Cooks immediate upside at his late eighth-round ADP.

Undrafted Free Agent
    ^wow, makes me feel terrible about the Pryor pick

But I certainly would NOT call our safeties a strength, OP. Not even close. I'm not sure if we have a single starting safety on our roster ATM. Our safety situations is worse than our QB situation.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    First-round WR Brandin Cooks has been the "star" of the "entire" Saints training camp so far.

Beat writers, coaches and teammates have been raving about Cooks on an almost daily basis since camp opened. It continues on Saturday as the reigning Biletnikoff Award winner lit up the Saints defense in an intrasquad scrimmage for an unofficial six catches with one touchdown. Per beat man Mike Triplett, "it really has been remarkable how consistent and versatile Cooks has been." He's going to play inside the numbers as a versatile chess piece for Sean Payton and Drew Brees, giving Cooks immediate upside at his late eighth-round ADP.
    No **** he's going to do well in that offense. You can post this stuff all year - it ain't gonna change anything. He's being used as a slot guy more than anything I would bet. 1st rounders are going to produce for most teams. They willingly passed on Cooks. Pryor was their guy and to compare the two while one has a concussion isn't even remotely fair, is it? Come on now.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Old Joe View Post
    No **** he's going to do well in that offense. You can post this stuff all year - it ain't gonna change anything. He's being used as a slot guy more than anything I would bet. 1st rounders are going to produce for most teams. They willingly passed on Cooks. Pryor was their guy and to compare the two while one has a concussion isn't even remotely fair, is it? Come on now.
    zIt has nothing to do with Pryor. Wide receiver was a. Greater need. Period.

Practice Squad
    CnP - Not necessarily a strength, but significantly improved from last year.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Old Joe View Post
    The fantasy guys are all perturbed. It was the perfect for pick for Brees and the Saints on the turf. So they'll be *****in' and moanin' for the foreseeable future.

I never thought he would be a good fit for Geno., and was glad we didn't take him. Idzik is building up the team all around. We would've gotten out very little out of Cooks and the whole team would've suffered. Monday morning second guessing at it's best

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    The fantasy guys are all perturbed. It was the perfect for pick for Brees and the Saints on the turf. So they'll be *****in' and moanin' for the foreseeable future.

I never thought he would be a good fit for Geno., and was glad we didn't take him. Idzik is building up the team all around. We would've gotten out very little out of Cooks and the whole team would've suffered. Monday morning second guessing at it's best
    I liked Cooks and I think he'll be a monster in that NO offense, so the fantasy football geeks and SOJF's will always complain about the pick, but truth be told Pryor was an excellent pick for us, safety was a need at the time, and he will prove to be worth it IMO....

I Loved cooks, but I loved Pryor also either way the Jets filled a need

Monday morning second guessing at it's best
    Maybe you didn't notice but there was plenty of second guessing at high noon on Sunday, bub.

Veteran
    Both positions were big needs. Sure we needed a WR more. But it's the a Jets!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Maybe you didn't notice but there was plenty of second guessing at high noon on Sunday, bub.
    Not by me. Like I said I was glad they didn't take Cooks. Pal

Not by me. Like I said I was glad they didn't take Cooks. Pal
    All well and good, chief, but some of us were questioning why we didn't address our chief deficiency for the past 5 or 6 seasons straight - quarterback. Was folly to not draft a blue-chipper. We had options.

All League
    All well and good, chief, but some of us were questioning why we didn't address our chief deficiency for the past 5 or 6 seasons straight - quarterback. Was folly to not draft a blue-chipper. We had options.
    I don't understand the reluctance of people to question the Pryor pick.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    zIt has nothing to do with Pryor. Wide receiver was a. Greater need. Period.
    Idzik's philosphy is draft the BAP and fill needs via FA (Decker). He has stated this on serveral occasions. Apparently, he believed that player to be Pryor.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I don't understand the reluctance of people to question the Pryor pick.
    Read Jet Blast's post right below yours. Idzik goes BPA, period. BPA is probably composed of a percentage of need vs. rating of the player (i.e. they wouldn't have taken a DL higher rated than Pryor or Cooks), and Jets clearly had Pryor as their top-ranked guy at the time.

We'll see how it plays out, but remember that at least 75% of the board was questioning the Richardson pick when it was made. How did that turn out? Maybe Cooks does turn out to be a better player than CP, but in no way was Pryor a "bad" pick.

All Pro
    We weren't gonna draft another QB high twice in a row WAKE UP!!!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Read Jet Blast's post right below yours. Idzik goes BPA, period. BPA is probably composed of a percentage of need vs. rating of the player (i.e. they wouldn't have taken a DL higher rated than Pryor or Cooks), and Jets clearly had Pryor as their top-ranked guy at the time.

We'll see how it plays out, but remember that at least 75% of the board was questioning the Richardson pick when it was made. How did that turn out? Maybe Cooks does turn out to be a better player than CP, but in no way was Pryor a "bad" pick.
    Well, we won't know for a few years if he was a bad pick or not. I honestly wanted Teddy Bridgewater. Geno is looking improved, but we still can't be sure if he's the answer, and it's never a bad thing to have two young QBs with lots of potential. At worst, one does well, and you can just trade the other, kinda like WAS should have in 2012 with Cousins and the 49ers did with Smith.

I didn't know much about Teddy, but then I watched his tapes, and wow...talk about a zip on your pass. He just flicks it and it goes 60 yards and it's placed perfectly. MIN got a huge teal, IMO.
    Last edited by CnP; 08-04-2014 at 10:14 AM.