Thread: We should be running the spread more often

We should be running the spread more often

I have noticed most of the new OC's tend to take some college plays and use them in addition to whatever scheme they are running to help rookies and or 2-3 year players.
    I believe its been said that the WCO takes years to really master, with Amaro struggling Geno from the Air Raid, and Decker just coming from a Spread offense wouldn't make sense to have some plays from the Spread..?
    It seems Marty is stuffing square pegs in round holes to an extent, beholding to a system instead of putting the players in position to make plays.
    All i hear is study the playbook, but why not supplement it with plays that would help the player. Am I crazy for thinking this..?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzEM2Death View Post
    I have noticed most of the new OC's tend to take some college plays and use them in addition to whatever scheme they are running to help rookies and or 2-3 year players.
    I believe its been said that the WCO takes years to really master, with Amaro struggling Geno from the Air Raid, and Decker just coming from a Spread offense wouldn't make sense to have some plays from the Spread..?
    It seems Marty is stuffing square pegs in round holes to an extent, beholding to a system instead of putting the players in position to make plays.
    All i hear is study the playbook, but why not supplement it with plays that would help the player. Am I crazy for thinking this..?
    Its frustrating that a post like this has zero comments, but yet Sar's nonsense thread has hundreds.

Anyway - you bring up an excellent point.

Personally I was shocked last year that we didnt run more hurry-up, shotgun formations to let Geno have more time to read the defense at the line of scrimmage, as that would have helped him get through his progressions faster. However the truth is, last year we didnt have enough talent to truly compete and I think MM forcing him to learn as much of the offense without tailoring it to him specifically will help him tremendously this year.

The WCO does take years to master especially coming from a college offense like Geno did. The truth is, he should have been sitting last year and learning, but now we should reap the benefit of him being ahead of the curve in his second year having a full season of experience.

Will we run more spread? Not sure - but MM is a guy who definitely looks at matchups on a game by game basis and will play towards the strength of those matchups. We also have TEs that are not great inline blockers, but are good WRs and blockers in space, so I do think we will be spreading them out to create space for screens and zone-read runs.

All Pro
    It's because we did run a lot of spread.
    Nobody seems to know what it is.
    The nice thing this year is that we can run almost every type of offense with all of our guys.
    The TEs can all go wide.
    CJ can also go wide.
    Hell a few of our WRs can play TE.
    We can line up in the I, and motion to 5 wide in a snap.
    The WCO is based on option routes. It's much better if your players are smart enough to read the defense, and be at a spot on time. You need to work on that constantly to be in sync.
    It's easy to run the spread. We don't really need to work on that in practice much.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Scheming guys open. I trust Martin will continue to get favorable matchups by mixing elements; while not the spread, the WCO walsh devised is about getting guys one on one with a chance to beat them BIG.