Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hill (sigh)

Stephen Hill (sigh)

Just saw the clip of Stephen Hill's "big catch" from Geno in the scrimmage. He jumps up to catch it in coverage.......and catches it against his body around his mid-section. What's the sense of being 6'4 and jumping if you're not going to use it to your advantage? I'm beginning to wonder if he's ever going to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by CTJetsFanII View Post
    Just saw the clip of Stephen Hill's "big catch" from Geno in the scrimmage. He jumps up to catch it in coverage.......and catches it against his body around his mid-section. What's the sense of being 6'4 and jumping if you're not going to use it to your advantage? I'm beginning to wonder if he's ever going to get it.
    He won't ever get it, that's the point. Either you have the basic ball skills or you don't. A 6'4 receiver should not be learning how to catch with his hands in his third year in the NFL. This is pee-wee football stuff that he should have mastered 15 years ago.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeEmm View Post
    He won't ever get it, that's the point. Either you have the basic ball skills or you don't. A 6'4 receiver should not be learning how to catch with his hands in his third year in the NFL. This is pee-wee football stuff that he should have mastered 15 years ago.
    GM re-returns? Did anyone guess this new userid? What do we have for our winner, Carole?
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 08-05-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    If Hill is using his body to shield the ball from defenders that's a plus.

Quite honestly I don't care how he catches the ball - as long as he is making the catch and not dropping the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post

Quite honestly I don't care how he catches the ball - as long as he is making the catch and not dropping the ball.
    Hate to say it ARod, but that wasn't the case (in what I just saw). A natural WR would extend their arms when jumping and snatch the ball with their hands keeping it away from the defenders as he secures it. What Hill does allows a DB who may not be as tall to still have a chance to rip/strip it from him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Can you post a link to this?

What kind of stupid logic is that? That's exactly why it's good to be 6'5. He doesn't have to jump up to beat out a 5'10 corner. He made the catch, didn't he? Some people just love to whine about everything, even when things are getting done. You win, but you don't win pretty. We beat them, but they still managed to score a field goal. Cry me a river.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    GM re-returns? Did anyone guess this new userid? What do we have for the winner, Carole?
    What an insufferable knat, this has got to be a 12 year old kid getting his jollies...

Is an IP ban not possible?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    What kind of stupid logic is that? That's exactly why it's good to be 6'5. He doesn't have to jump up to beat out a 5'10 corner. He made the catch, didn't he? Some people just love to whine about everything, even when things are getting done. You win, but you don't win pretty. We beat them, but they still managed to score a field goal. Cry me a river.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post

I'm with ya but he needs to be catching it with his hands at it's highest point. Ideally. He's 6'4, already holding an advantage. Make it a higher point and stick them arms out!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    http://thejetsblog.com/page/2/

Scroll down to "Geico SportsNite Jets Green & White Scrimmage". About 20-30 seconds into the video

Have you ever watched or played basketball and they talk about about a big man (Center) making himself "small" because he brings the ball down to his waist instead of keeping it over his head? Exact same concept. You're right....if he's 6'5 and the DB is 5'10 and he catches it above his head he doesn't need to jump. Hill doesn't do that. He jumps a little and catches it around his chest or stomach completely negating his height advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    What an insufferable knat, this has got to be a 12 year old kid getting his jollies...

Is an IP ban not possible?
    Every day from you. The guy is concerned about hills body catching. He wasnt rude nor did he insult anyone.

You call for a ban.

Clearly, you are an idiot

Veteran
    So now we're complaining when Hill catches the ball? If he has another huge game-altering play in New England I don't care if he catches the ball with his hands...against his body...through the facemask so long as he makes the play!

I agree for the most part, but there's something to be said about receivers jumping and body-catching when it's not necessary. Jumping kills momentum - instead of being able to catch and run, jumping prevents him from making an immediate move after the catch. Body-catching just adds a half-second to the catch that could be the difference between a reception and the DB breaking it up.

The guy made the catch, no sense in killing him for this one...but it was not the catch of a polished receiver.

Have you ever watched or played basketball and they talk about about a big man (Center) making himself "small" because he brings the ball down to his waist instead of keeping it over his head? Exact same concept. You're right....if he's 6'5 and the DB is 5'10 and he catches it above his head he doesn't need to jump. Hill doesn't do that. He jumps a little and catches it around his chest or stomach completely negating his height advantage.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...0-Moss-catches

8, 7, 4 , 3. He turns, jumps, and catches the ball in his chest or stomach. When you have tall fast receivers, they get underthrown and jump like that to shield the ball. Stop complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Here I think this is a better angle.

http://instagram.com/p/rNv39PreHQ/?modal=true

IMO, in that shot, he's not using his height to his advantage. If he extends his arms up and catches with his hands, he's catching it further away from the db's. Giving them less of a chance to break it up.

But yes everyone, he made the catch. No need to ever talk about his game.
    Last edited by MDL_JET; 08-05-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Imagine if that guy would teach Stephen how to get up and catch the ball like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Here I think this is a better angle.

http://instagram.com/p/rNv39PreHQ/?modal=true

IMO, in that shot, he's not using his height to his advantage. If he extends his arms up and catches with his hands, he's catching it further away from the db's. Giving them less of a chance to break it up.

But yes everyone, he made the catch. No need to ever talk about his game.
    Thanks for posting. Even better angle. Yes he made the catch. If the safety hits him in the midsection the ball gets dislodged. Seeing it from that view show he had no reason to jump. As someone else said, as a result of jumping, he wasn't able to run after the catch. The ball wasn't underthrown.
    Purpose of the post was to point out that, despite all of the positive reports, he's still doing things that a NFL WR shouldn't do IMO.

Imagine if that guy would teach Stephen how to get up and catch the ball like that.
    A perfect example of how he should be catching the ball. Arms extended using his big hands. In this case, he had to because the ball was overthrown.