Thread: Good Article On Practices ...

All League

Good Article On Practices ...

And why keeping QB stats is the dumbest thing in the world:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._it_seems.html

Last week, the Jets' offense spun its wheels on consecutive days. The second of those days produced a steaming pile of turnovers, penalties, and players unable to stay on their feet. And then came Saturday's intrasquad scrimmage, when the goal line played a starring role as an invisible fence the offense just couldn't get past.

From the team's training camp site in Cortland, N.Y., one could almost hear the panicked phone calls to New York City's sports-talk-radio stations: There were some upgrades made to the offense this offseason, those callers might be saying, but 2014 is already promising to bring us the Same Old Jets.

But here's the thing about all those full-team drills that take place during training camp: They're not the same as game situations. There's no game-planning. There's no trying to attack the defense's weaknesses. There's none of the scheming that leads to the execution that brings success on Sundays.

Anyone with any serious interest in the Jets might be infatuated with how the offense is doing against the defense in Cortland. But that's not how the Jets' players and coaches are evaluating what's taking place.

“I think too much is made of it,” wide receiver David Nelson said of all the breathless offense-versus-defense reports coming out of camp.

Now why would that be? Why wouldn't the offense be trying to do nothing but beat the defense every time out? Because, on any given play at camp, the offense is preparing for a situation it might have to face during the season, regardless of what coverage or what blitz the defense is bringing. The offense wants to be sure it knows what it's doing, no matter the circumstance. And in trying to get things right, it's going to fail more often than not.

This may seem counterintuitive, but it isn't. Mike Tanier of Sports on Earth touched on it Wednesday with regard to preseason depth charts and how and why players get shuffled in and out of first-team and backup roles from one play to the next: "August is the only time of year when teams can spare the time to make young players comfortable working with veterans and evaluate newcomers about their mastery of the basics. Ironclad depth charts and clever game plans would actually get in the way."

What matters, in other words, is execution. Are the receivers running the right routes and catching what's thrown at them? Are Geno Smith's and Mike Vick's passes accurate, and are they making the right reads? Are the linemen finishing their blocks? Etc.

“Obviously you want to win at everything," center Nick Mangold said. "But most of the time, and no offense to your profession [the media], but you don’t know what the situation is, what we’re trying to work on, what we’re trying to improve upon. There’s very specific things that we’re trying to work on and trying to get better at.

“We might be doing all third-and-longs. If you get 40 percent of those, you‘re doing well, if you look statistically through an NFL season. But when all you see [at practice] is an incomplete pass or [failure to get] a first down, well, we’re trying to work on third-and-longs, so it’s a tricky situation.”

Wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal got even more detailed.

"For example," Lal said, "we have a play that’s a Cover 2-beater. Well, [the defense] didn’t run Cover 2. But what it allows us to do is go to our third and fourth progression: If it’s a man concept, and it’s a Cover 2 play, well, here’s the outlet.”

Said running back Chris Johnson: “It’s kind of tough to understand from the outside looking in."

So regardless of what the defense is doing, the offense is just trying to run its stuff for the sake of getting its stuff right.

Still, there are things that can be worrisome if the offense stinks it up against the defense. Nelson, for one, pointed to the penalties and turnovers—things that (mostly) can be controlled. And, for what's it's worth, the Jets' offense pretty much cleaned things up on that end after those disastrous two days last week.

The Jets open the preseason Thursday night against the Colts. Head coach Rex Ryan said this week he wants to see "some production" from the offense. But, again, there will be little-to-no game-planning involved. These preseason games are more about getting used to the rhythm of playing an opponent, not making self-inflicted mistakes, and evaluating the back end of the roster. Whether the Jets win or lose is completely irrelevant.

"We have that west-coast offense, so everything is timing," inside linebacker David Harris said, proving all of this talk isn't just the offense trying to save face. "That’s what training camp is for—to get your timing down, to get the routes and the receivers and the quarterback all on the same page.

“Right now, we’re just working out the kinks, and trying to put it all together.”

This goes for the defense, too, by the way. Ryan made it clear the defense also deliberately puts itself into situations at camp it may not try in a game. This is what Ryan said last Friday—which happened to be the same day the offense had just gotten done lighting up the defense with several big plays:

"The challenge is, sometimes I’ll put us in situations on the field that I know, if they throw the football, this is a run call, put us in a bad situation, make it tough. Maybe there are [some] mismatches, but make it tough, make our guys have to communicate, recognize the weakness of the defense, then try to play to it.

"So we always are doing that as well, then when you get in the game it’s easy."

Now let's close with this reminder: The first game in which the offense's and defense's overall performances actually matter is one month from Thursday.

Hall Of Fame
    For sure in this day and age the info overload magnifies things to an absurd level with each success or failure of a unit or player being shouted out. Back in the day.... you would just hear, 'so and so is having a good camp' after a couple of weeks of camp.

All Pro
    Bu....but Cimini's tweets told me that the offense is gonna be trash again this season, I'm sure of it.

Veteran
    I was going to post this article in an attempt to help the ledge dwellers....

All Pro
    These are all fair points, but over the last 5 years the Jets are near or at the bottom of many major offensive categories. It's true that not seeing a good offense may not mean anything, but we haven't seen good offense in preseason/practice for many years, and every year that's lead to bad offense during the season. It's hard not to be a little stressed when you see it again.

Veteran
    Excellent article. I wonder what it would take to convince the media that responsible reporting with mature perspective is what fans PREFER?

For starters, I clicked the link, made an account, and posted an encouraging comment. I encourage the same from everyone who enjoys this style of reporting.

All Pro
    Its as if KRL barely contributes anything to this site

Great article post/article.

Lets hope for some good timing, tempo and a couple completions tonight - and of course no injuries.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    Excellent article. I wonder what it would take to convince the media that responsible reporting with mature perspective is what fans PREFER?

For starters, I clicked the link, made an account, and posted an encouraging comment. I encourage the same from everyone who enjoys this style of reporting.
    Not much my friend.

All of the dolts and dunce buckets out there will continue to take ESPN as gospel and they will keep feeding them.

Stick to more local news sources such as this if you want unbiased reporting.....

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Not much my friend.

All of the dolts and dunce buckets out there will continue to take ESPN as gospel and they will keep feeding them.

Stick to more local news sources such as this if you want unbiased reporting.....
    Indeed.

Well maybe we should practice....you know.....SCORING!!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    These are all fair points, but over the last 5 years the Jets are near or at the bottom of many major offensive categories. It's true that not seeing a good offense may not mean anything, but we haven't seen good offense in preseason/practice for many years, and every year that's lead to bad offense during the season. It's hard not to be a little stressed when you see it again.
    This is exactly how I feel. I know QB stats mean crap in practice or whatever else. But when your offense has sucked for the past 5 years, and has been holding your team back, you crave any kind of positivity on that side of the ball. So when you hear things like they didn't execute at scrimmage or "defense dominates again" it just all seems repetitive.

But the article is right. No need to go crazy over all the small details. Just gotta wait and see come opening day.

All Pro
    Hey KRL, do you edit or something on the side for these guys? Smile

Thanks for the post. On point once again.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    I was going to post this article in an attempt to help the ledge dwellers....
    You assume the ledge dwellers are unhappy. The evidence is they're having a great time sitting out there threatening to jump.

All League
    Brady is over 80% accurate at Pats camp. I dont care because he was < 50% against us when it counted

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    That's why it's important to listen to guys like KRL, and Dunnie that have gone to
    training camp every year, and take away the fact that this year we look much better than years past.
    You can't judge things based on stats, but only compared to other years camps.
    You know like apples to apples?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Brady is over 80% accurate at Pats camp. I dont care because he was < 50% against us when it counted
    If Brady is 80% in camp, it either means Revis blows, or that Brady is ignorantly avoiding throwing toward his own teammate to pad his stats.

Btw that siq makes you look like an Ash.

All League
    Oh god thanks. My sigs have been off for years lol

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    If Brady is 80% in camp, it either means Revis blows, or that Brady is ignorantly avoiding throwing toward his own teammate to pad his stats.

ThAnks

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post

Just turned "sigs" on. I don't see that I have one, do I? Lol