Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does the Patriots / Jets rivalry rank among rivalries in the NFL?

Where does the Patriots / Jets rivalry rank among rivalries in the NFL?

Gonna' ball park it off the top of my head.

I think we can go toe-to-toe with any other rivalry in the league with fan hate. We could run into a burning building and save someone's life together, I could wave you through at a green light, and if we were neighbors you wouldn't mind feeding the dog while I was on vacation, but add football to the mix and the two fan bases could barbarian charge each other with spiked clubs and face paint.

Maybe a case could be made we're a tier beneath some of the NFC teams, like the Eagle rivalries and the 49'er rivalries, just because they potentially have more unruly populations, but I don't know...

Nothing can potentially suck for one like losing to the other. It was more tolerable way back in the dizzay, before the internet, when you didn't have to hear about it from people who live 600 miles from you forever, but now it can be the worst.

It isn't just some ancient rivalry running on the fumes of its legacy. In recent seasons the Jets have ended the 14-2 Patriots in the Razor the year Brady was crowned the first ever unanimously voted league MVP, which felt like the Death Star exploding. There's a fair share of people who had thought that cost Brady a sure 4th ring.

After that the Patriots started putting the sweep on you and gave you the worst Thanksgiving of your lives, a lasting scar for the Jets organization - the 52 seconds and butt fumble before a national holiday audience.

The coaches are entirely different. There's only one Bill Belichick and there's only one Rex Ryan. The Patriots are more subtle and trollish in their trash talk, like praising next week's opponent as great over and over when they're so obviously not it's obvious condescension, and sometimes in the past haven't even kept a straight face through it. I think Rex called them out on this once or twice.

Meanwhile, the Jets just let it fly cuz' #%$@ da' police.

The smug evil Empire against the scrappy Jets.

I think the Steelers v Ravens gets more hype on game weeks by the national media based purely on rivalry, but if the Steelers don't pick it up soon that's going to begin to ebb.
    They're probably #2 across the country for now but about to plummet.

Patriots / Jets are definitely higher than Denver v Oakland which feels ancient and irrelevant, and nobody cares about Denver v San Diego outside Denver v San Diego. The whole AFC South is lame. The NFC is full of fiery rivalries but they all feel so one sided. Nobody going to Jerry's Dome is feeling the fury of Cowboy fans. It's like a spectacle in a shopping mall.

Seahawks v 49'ers are probably #1 based entirely on their surge in the last few seasons. It's hot right now.

Patriots v Jets #3 with #2 in sight?

TLR: It's impossible to have produced Hitman Harris and Ray Ray and be any lower than three.

Last edited by Zarathustra; 08-07-2014 at 05:34 PM.

I'm honestly not sure the Pats care all that much about the Jets. Sure, we can't stand the Pats but do they really think of it as a rivalry?

They continue to run away with the division with very little pressure from the Jets are anyone - Yes, the Jets beat them in a playoff game but truth be told they haven't won a Super Bowl in a decade so they've lost to a lot of team in the playoffs.

I thought the mighty Pats were so superior that it wasn't a rivalry?

Where does the Patriots / Jets rivalry rank among rivalries in the NFL?

Jets are to the Pats ... what fleas are to dogs ... we need to challenge for the division in order to be more.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I thought the mighty Pats were so superior that it wasn't a rivalry?
    That's just things Patriot fans say to their rivals to piss them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    That's just things Patriot fans say to their rivals to piss them off.
    Kind of like that last meaningful game between the two was won by the Jets in Foxboro, rather convincingly as well?

I'm sure that pisses Pats fans off in this mega rivalry.

All League
    Anyone who thinks a "scar " comes feom a regular season game is clueless. Playoffs leave scars

Gonna' ball park it off the top of my head.

I think we can go toe-to-toe with any other rivalry in the league with fan hate.
    In regards to "fan hate" it's probably up there.

In regards to the play on the field, we've had more success against them than many (most?) other teams, but it still doesn't rank up there as a RIVALRY until we prove to be a more consistent adversary . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I'm honestly not sure the Pats care all that much about the Jets. Sure, we can't stand the Pats but do they really think of it as a rivalry?

They continue to run away with the division with very little pressure from the Jets are anyone - Yes, the Jets beat them in a playoff game but truth be told they haven't won a Super Bowl in a decade so they've lost to a lot of team in the playoffs.
    The Pats care about the Jets. In fact, their coach despises us. The Pats have obviously had much more success over the past decade. But they worry about the Jets every season.

In fact, do you know who won the last time these two teams played? I will give you a hint, it's the same team that won the last playoff game between these two teams.

So, if the Pats don't see the Jets as a rival they are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Anyone who thinks a "scar " comes feom a regular season game is clueless. Playoffs leave scars
    You would think that but sometimes the stars just align for it.

JETS/dollfags rivalry is 20 times more serious. HATE HATE HATE!!! Pats* rivalry has only been relevant last 10 years or so. Dollfags rivalry goes back. Least favorite team and fan base in all of sports, college or pro

Practice Squad
    I think the fan base hate is there to make an epic rivalry. When the Jets/Pats game starts having major division winning implications, it will be the #1 rivalry.

Could be as soon as this year that the Pats really start to hate the Jets.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sash1 View Post
    JETS/dollfags rivalry is 20 times more serious. HATE HATE HATE!!! Pats* rivalry hfans as only been relevant last 10 years or so. Dollfags rivalry goes back. Least favorite team and fan base in all of sports, college or pro
    With the oldtimers this is true. I think most fans now consider the Pats the chief rival

Veteran
    I could be wrong but I think BB hates losing to the Jets as much as any other team. He quit, so why so much animosity towards them?

Quote Originally Posted by sash1 View Post
    JETS/dollfags rivalry is 20 times more serious. HATE HATE HATE!!! Pats* rivalry has only been relevant last 10 years or so. Dollfags rivalry goes back. Least favorite team and fan base in all of sports, college or pro
    Nobody cares about it outside the two fan bases though. Nobody says "Sweet the Jets are playing the Dolphins." People around the country know the Jets and the Patriots are going to go at each other and something is going to happen. The NFL would have never given Thanksgiving prime time to the Jets and Pats otherwise. We get the Sunday night prime time spot every season as well. You'll never see Bills v Dolphins getting called by Collinsworth on a Sunday night.

Jets Insider VIP
    Lots of great rivalries in the NFL.

Bears/Packers....Giants/Cowboys....Steelers/Ravens....Raiders/Chiefs...Redskins/Cowboys....Eagles/Giants, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Lots of great rivalries in the NFL.

Bears/Packers....Giants/Cowboys....Steelers/Ravens....Raiders/Chiefs...Redskins/Cowboys....Eagles/Giants, etc.
    Yeah I thought about Chicago and Green Bay but honestly Green Bay has just smashed on Chicago for way too long now to consider it in the top #5. First Favre crapped all over Chicago, and now Aaron Rodgers is doing it.
    Chicago has been defeated. Rivalry squashed until further notice. It's like Patriots v Bills only twice as bad.

Cowboy fans are lame so any rivalry they have is carried by the other. Dallas stadium is weak and they just fail.

Raider games are most peoples last resort now. I'd rather watch the Jaguars

Yeah I thought about Chicago and Green Bay but honestly Green Bay has just smashed on Chicago for way too long now to consider it in the top #5. First Favre crapped all over Chicago, and now Aaron Rodgers is doing it.
    Chicago has been defeated. Rivalry squashed until further notice. It's like Patriots v Bills only twice as bad.

Cowboy fans are lame so any rivalry they have is carried by the other. Dallas stadium is weak and they just fail.

Raider games are most peoples last resort now. I'd rather watch the Jaguars
    Basically every team in the NFC East has a major rivalry with the other.

Jets/Dolphins is a deeper rivalry than Jets/Patriots. The Mud Bowl, O'Brien vs Marino '86, The Fake Spike, The Monday Night Miracle, Pennington's return, and the Dolphins collapse at the end of last year

Zarathustra, your either nuts or maybe too young or not versed in nfl history to not think Chicago/Green Bay is a top 5 rivalry in the NFL. Also, you asked a question in your original post of "where does the pats*/JETS rivalry rank"? Well when people are giving their answers/opinions here you keep either disagreeing with them, or correcting them or pointing out your own take on it. It seems like you've already answered your own question before even posing the question to us, right?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'd say it falls as a second level rivalry.

A lot going on between the two teams since Brady ... But nothing before that.